PDA

View Full Version : What to do with VOB, etc. files?

captmilkdud
02-01-2007, 10:55 PM
In downloading movies I sometimes get a folder titled VIDEO_TS. In it are VOB, BUP and IFO files. Figuring these to be the contents of a DVD I copied them to a DVD disc to see if it would play the movie and it doesn't.

My question is, what do you do with these files?

Thanks....

100%
02-01-2007, 11:23 PM
download dvd player software like powerdvd,vlc etc
either simply play the largesst files or
burn them and load to program via disc

captmilkdud
02-02-2007, 12:52 AM
I can play the VOB files (I have VLC) but I want to put them on a DVD. I have MyDVD Plus and Roxio. From what I've found out so far it seems the files that came with the VOBs are useless. Is that so? Only the VOBs can be used and they have to be converted to Mpg then back to VOB. Is that the way it works?

DefX
02-02-2007, 01:28 AM
I never encountered this problem before but i was curious as to what i would do if i come across it in the future. I found this forum which was helpful.

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-replies-archive.cfm/670617.html

i had the inclination that dvdshrink would help but i wasnt sure, but now i am.
i hope that helps.

jackwho
02-02-2007, 09:41 AM
In downloading movies I sometimes get a folder titled VIDEO_TS. In it are VOB, BUP and IFO files. Figuring these to be the contents of a DVD I copied them to a DVD disc to see if it would play the movie and it doesn't.

My question is, what do you do with these files?

Thanks....

make up two files and name one AUDIO_TS and the other VIDEO_TS then put ALL the files into the VIDEO_TS folder and leave the AUDIO_TS blank.

Then you copy these using nero etc and you can watch them on your dvd player.

Fortech
02-02-2007, 12:30 PM
-watch them on comp with some dvd player software
or
-burn onto a disc as jackwho said

honeyb
02-02-2007, 02:53 PM
with downloads that have a video-ts folder (ie bup/ifo/vob files) you would use nero burning rom to burn them, theres a guide on how to do it here http://www.dvd-guides.com/content/view/40/59/ that explains step by step on how to do it.

captmilkdud
02-03-2007, 02:37 AM
Thank you all so very much!!
The link you gave me, DefianceX, was a keeper. Thanks!

I did as jackwho suggested. I used Roxio's Drag-to-Disc and just dragged them from my Windows' File Explorer to the icon in my Task bar and BOOM I have a DVD!!! Worked great!! WOOHOO!!

I read a lot of posts referring to Nero. Is that the burner software to have?

pocketgirl
02-03-2007, 03:13 PM
i have both roxio and nero and find nero to burn far faster then roxio

Appzalien
02-03-2007, 03:23 PM
Nero is ok for some things, and its ok if you just want to copy the contents of a VIDEO_TS folder to make a dvd, but using it to create Dvd's and reencode avi's its pretty useless. It has a tendency to want to reencode everything into its own proprietary format and that sucks. Because of this, if you point it to a video_ts folder it will likely tell you theres not enough room on one disk because it wants to reencode into nero format and make it too big which is ridiculous. If you go into the Ahead folder and find Nero.exe and send a copy to the desktop, you can now start Nero Burning Rom directly without the start smart crap, then select dvd-video on the left and it will setup a blank video_ts folder for you to copy the files from the right pane to the left then select new and as long as the files are not over 4.38gig you can burn.

captmilkdud
02-03-2007, 04:40 PM
What would you suggest for creating Dvd's and reencoding avi's, etc? I'm looking for something that's not complicated.

jackwho
02-04-2007, 12:51 AM
i use a programme called win avi video converter

real basic and very easy to use.

captmilkdud
02-04-2007, 06:15 PM
Looks like a good one. I'll give it a try.

carbon75
02-08-2007, 05:20 AM
For making DVDs Nero is good. You don't need the latest version either. If you get an old version 6 you can still go to their site and get some updates. the component that makes DVDs and menus is NeroVisionExpress and is easy to use.

If you want to make avi files out of VOB files AutoGK works great.

etai3000
03-13-2007, 08:02 PM
download DVD santa 4.0

and open the video_ts.ifo
and burn the matirial with it

Finn_1337
03-16-2007, 05:17 AM
WinAVI is super basic converter and converts almost anything. Also VSO convertxtodvd is very simple drag, drop, and click. :)

amd64x2
03-16-2007, 11:12 PM
u can playing this fites from media payer classic

m000dy
03-25-2007, 12:43 PM
nero to burn far faster then roxio