PDA

View Full Version : Fuckin' computers...

j2k4
02-04-2007, 03:08 PM
...I hate 'em. :angry:

tesco
02-04-2007, 03:13 PM
so much that you had to post twice? :O

Hairbautt
02-04-2007, 03:20 PM
so much that you had to post twice? :O
:lol:

They are unreliable at times...

Virtualbody1234
02-04-2007, 03:28 PM

Problems?

100%
02-04-2007, 04:02 PM
If it smells funny move away.

thewizeard
02-04-2007, 04:03 PM
You (we) should kick windows out the door..but then what ..linux?

j2k4
02-04-2007, 04:34 PM

Problems?

Yeah, partially my fault-I was playing around with some registry cleaners (registryfix?), and decided I didn't like the one I was playing with...upon uninstall, I noticed it had deleted my Trend Micro icon from the tray.

I could no longer access the suite at all, even though XP Security assured me it was updating and operating.

I tried to uninstall/reinstall, with and without the disk; no joy.

I couldn't even communicate with TM's tech services from my desktop until I tried to initiate a dialog with them from my laptop to get a response via email that I could reply to.

After lots of "do this, do that" with them, they sent a cute little deal called PCCTool.exe, which would definitely delete the offending program.

It did all that and much, much more.

I can't access the net and most of my programs have been compromised.

I don't know if I can throw my XP disk in and effect a repair, or re-do the whole thing, which is a major pain.

Argh.

Hairbautt
02-04-2007, 06:17 PM
Problems?

Yeah, partially my fault-I was playing around with some registry cleaners (registryfix?), and decided I didn't like the one I was playing with...upon uninstall, I noticed it had deleted my Trend Micro icon from the tray.

I could no longer access the suite at all, even though XP Security assured me it was updating and operating.

I tried to uninstall/reinstall, with and without the disk; no joy.

I couldn't even communicate with TM's tech services from my desktop until I tried to initiate a dialog with them from my laptop to get a response via email that I could reply to.

After lots of "do this, do that" with them, they sent a cute little deal called PCCTool.exe, which would definitely delete the offending program.

It did all that and much, much more.

I can't access the net and most of my programs have been compromised.

I don't know if I can throw my XP disk in and effect a repair, or re-do the whole thing, which is a major pain.

Argh.
Backups :smilie4:

backlash
02-04-2007, 08:54 PM
system restore?

Gripper
02-04-2007, 09:35 PM
Nuke the bastard!!!!!

peat moss
02-04-2007, 10:19 PM
system restore?

System Restore = Homos :D With the new XP install disks floating around its easier to format then reinstall . :)

Hairbautt
02-04-2007, 10:21 PM
Sys restore always fooks up the computer in some way...everytime I've used it I get strange icons on me desktip as well as folder & app names in all CAPS...

peat moss
02-04-2007, 10:23 PM
He said desktip . Hee Hee

I should n't be allowed on this forum today ,I'm sooooo hungover .:sick:

Hairbautt
02-04-2007, 10:28 PM

Get well soon. :doctor:

peat moss
02-04-2007, 10:41 PM

Get well soon. :doctor:

Funny thing was I had two friends over to watch the hockey game but they brought sick computers and lots of beerski's , bad combo . :lol: Everyone went home happy but I'm suffering today :dabs: .

One had a dead on board ethernet so installed a lan card the other was a full install but think I spend more time on the ethernet one .

j2k4
02-05-2007, 12:00 AM
system restore?

System Restore = Homos :D With the new XP install disks floating around its easier to format then reinstall . :)

Yeah, but it got me back in business 'til I can get to the reinstall.

Got Quickbooks to worry about; I'll do another drive for installation later.

lynx
02-05-2007, 12:25 AM
I think it would probably be illegal over here. :unsure:

j2k4
02-05-2007, 01:59 AM
I think it would probably be illegal over here. :unsure:

Or at least frowned upon.

MediaSlayer
02-05-2007, 02:27 AM
i have, in the distant past, put the xp disk in and let it only overwrite the system files, keeping all your personal files. obviously backing up the personal files beforehand is a good idea. but it worked, and it did not do what system restore does(which is clunky). it sounds like that is what you were suggesting, and it probably would be the best way to fix that.
good luck

Barbarossa
02-05-2007, 01:55 PM

It's not the computers that are the problem, it's the programmers... :yes:

backlash
02-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Sys restore always fooks up the computer in some way...everytime I've used it I get strange icons on me desktip as well as folder & app names in all CAPS...

it's saved me a few times from problems, so it's an option I wouldn't shove to the curb too quickly.

zapjb
02-05-2007, 06:30 PM

it's saved me a few times from problems, so it's an option I wouldn't shove to the curb too quickly.
I agree system restore works well. People try to turn back 34 system restore points. No, not going to happen. SR works the best when I only have a couple (2-3) SRP max. Most people don't know how to clear all but the latest SRP. Disk Cleanup - More Options - (SR) Cleanup - follow prompts. Bet more than half here didn't know that. :01:

Hairbautt
02-05-2007, 06:31 PM
Bet more than half here didn't know that. :01:
Not very optimistic are you? :dry:

clocker
02-06-2007, 02:16 AM
I knew that and I still think system restore sucks.

j2k4
02-06-2007, 02:56 AM

Yeah, yeah, but I'm buying time.

I've got to work the next 12 days in a row, and I can't take it down without knowing approximately when I'll be back up.

clocker
02-06-2007, 01:09 PM

I've got to work the next 12 days in a row, and I can't take it down without knowing approximately when I'll be back up.
When I see you this summer we'll make a nLite install and a Ghost image.
Total reinstall time under 15 minutes.
Bye, bye System Restore.:01:

Hairbautt
02-06-2007, 04:32 PM

Hmmm, is this the thing where you can take an image of your harddrive (at anytime; preferably in working order) so that if you ever have a problem you can restore that image with ALL the settings reset to that particular day????

If so, please PLEASE :( share this information for me. I'm not a total n00b, so program names may do just fine...:)

gamer4eva
02-06-2007, 09:29 PM

I hate mine.....:angry: it is so fekin slowwwwww.......:dry: :dry: :dry: :dry:

j2k4
02-06-2007, 09:52 PM

That'd be cool, but I'm hoping I'll be able to have you bring a trunk full of parts, too, so we can cobble together a RAID mirror setup with lots of storage, security, and redundancy.

I'll keep you posted.

Buffalo
02-06-2007, 11:01 PM
n00bs should not be playing with registry cleaners :snooty:
And you need to chill out when working with computers aswell, that's why you are having problems.
sort it.....

j2k4
02-07-2007, 12:22 AM
n00bs should not be playing with registry cleaners :snooty:
And you need to chill out when working with computers aswell, that's why you are having problems.
sort it.....

Sort this, Baz> :wank:

zapjb
02-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Two other methods I employ.

For imaging Paragon Hard Disk Manager v8.0. I use the Pro version recovery CD.

For cloning Acronis MigrateEasy v7. I use the bootable CD here as well.

Buffalo
02-07-2007, 02:32 AM
@ j2k4 :)
I hope you get it sorted.
I know it can be frustrating; I've been there when I first had my computer.
Over the years I've found keeping cool is the best way to work, even when you fix one problem it can sometimes start another, it's just part of it, a bit of a game in a way.

Trend Micro, well what can I say :fist: I've never used it, but by the looks of it, it's not love at first sight.
And Dell computers..... Ding dong, I may be wrong, but is it?
I've only ever worked on one Dell Pc in my time, I now stay well clear.

Just be cool, when you feel like blowing ya top, just go make a cup of tea and go sit on the doorstep.

As for system restore..... :no: never used it,
I don't even have it active,
if you aquire a bad virus, that's the place it will linger,
like a piece of festering nob-cheese.... Yuk!

colt45joe
02-07-2007, 06:10 AM
program names may do just fine...:)

Norton Ghost

j2k4
02-07-2007, 10:50 AM
@ j2k4 :)
I hope you get it sorted.
I know it can be frustrating; I've been there when I first had my computer.
Over the years I've found keeping cool is the best way to work, even when you fix one problem it can sometimes start another, it's just part of it, a bit of a game in a way.

Trend Micro, well what can I say :fist: I've never used it, but by the looks of it, it's not love at first sight.
And Dell computers..... Ding dong, I may be wrong, but is it?
I've only ever worked on one Dell Pc in my time, I now stay well clear.

Just be cool, when you feel like blowing ya top, just go make a cup of tea and go sit on the doorstep.

As for system restore..... :no: never used it,
I don't even have it active,
if you aquire a bad virus, that's the place it will linger,
like a piece of festering nob-cheese.... Yuk!

Oh, I'll get it sorted, it's that I don't have time to just sit down and do it done, I have to do it piecemeal over a few days, and I have payroll and other business stuff to do that'll take me through Friday.

Normally I'd do it over the weekend, but I have to work, as well.

program names may do just fine...:)

Norton Ghost

I have Ghost; the removal tool fucked that up, too.