PDA

View Full Version : anyone interested in sharing a seedbox with me for $30/mo?

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 05:56 PM
=================================
UPDATE: no more slots available
=================================

anyone interested in paying $30/mo (split across 5 users) for:

AMD X2 4200 Dual Core
1GB RAM
300GB HDD
100Mbit Port
Unmetered Transfer

...from http://www.pixelfxsolution.com/? cost of the server is $150/mo and we can push it to 9TB-10TB/mo. so, if you break it down, each one will get:

60GB HDD
2TB datatraffic per month

not bad for only $30/mo!

server is located in UK and we'll have Win2k StdEd on it running uTorrent. each user will get his/her own IP and can easily connect to the server remotely via Windows RDC/RDP or RealVNC for example. if you need help in connecting or whatever, just let me know.

NetLimiter (or other similar program) will be installed to ensure each person will get his/her share of the bandwidth (2TB/mo).

deal can be found here (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showthread.php?t=580517) (pls. see EDIT2 below for changes). must have PayPal and serious inquiries only!

thank you.

EDIT: test IP - 66.90.66.1

EDIT2: i tried ordering the server in my original post but unfortunately, it was already sold to someone else. :( however, i was given a new offer (see above for the complete server specs): faster processor (dual-core) but slightly less HDD space (100GB less)

Tomaddict
02-04-2007, 06:08 PM
I got a seedbox for you..

ten elite brains
02-04-2007, 06:27 PM
You forgot to mention the $59 setup fee. Who pays that?

Panther
02-04-2007, 06:29 PM
do you know if they scan hdd for rars and can you see how much which ip is downloading? also will the server not be slow woth so many users and would you consider just splitting it with me and for what period of time are yu thinking of sharing, 1 month, 3 or what? thats are all the questins for now... :)

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 06:29 PM
You forgot to mention the $59 setup fee. Who pays that?

i will. unless of course, the other ppl who will share the server with me would like to share that, too. it's only a one-time payment anyway so it's not so bad if i pay for the set-up fee myself...

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 06:32 PM
do you know if they scan hdd for rars and can you see how much which ip is downloading? also will the server not be slow woth so many users and would you consider just splitting it with me and for what period of time are yu thinking of sharing, 1 month, 3 or what? thats are all the questins for now... :)

no, they don't scan their customers' HDD for illegal content. i think only DediBox does that.

i'm planning to share the server with 4 other guys so each will pay $30/mo. however, if only 2 or 3 ppl would like to share this server, that's fine with me too!

PixelFX offers a true 100Mbit port (burstable to 1Gbit for an additional $45/mo i think) so getting up to 10-11MB/s would NOT be a problem! besides, i don't think any torrent will be able to sustain that speed 24/7! heck, even if it is free leech, after some time, the overall peer speed will drop.

har786
02-04-2007, 06:35 PM
what is a seedbox?

is it a dedicated bt server which u pay a monthly fee and you put the files u want to download etc on it and it will seed?

can comeone clarify what one is

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 06:37 PM
OK, 1 other guy is in!

hopefully, we'll get 1 or 2 more so we won't have to pay that much per month for the server...

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 06:38 PM
what is a seedbox?

is it a dedicated bt server which u pay a monthly fee and you put the files u want to download etc on it and it will seed?

can comeone clarify what one is

think of a seedbox as your PC at home where you upload/download torrents... only it has really really REALLY fast speeds (10-11MB/s)!

morphine
02-04-2007, 06:39 PM
What about the whole principle of not paying for file sharing. For me paying for a seedbox falls in that category, since you're paying to download (and upload) more. I would never pay for a seedbox, as i wouldnt pay for a p2 client or to get in a network. It doesnt make much sense to me. Or is it all just a question of competition? Who downloads more, who uploads more?

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 06:47 PM
Who downloads more, who uploads more?

although the server is advertised as having "unmetered bandwidth," in actuality, it can be pushed to "only" 9-10TB. i say "only" because, really, who uses that much bandwidth in a month?!!

as for who downloads or uploads more, no need to worry. not only can the server push up to 10TB/mo, i am confident that around 2TB/person is enough so there's no need to monitor anything.

also, PixelFX i believe has an MRTG so we can monitor how much bandwidth is already being used. and since each person will have his/her own IP with uTorrent, it has it's own "stats" screen (Help->Show Statistics) where it will show how much bw that person has used.

in addition, i will install NetLimiter on each person's remote desktop and limit his/her bandwidth to 2TB/mo. that way, everyone gets his/her own share of the bandwidth.

Panther
02-04-2007, 06:48 PM
but having so many users on that server? will it not be slow? I am intereseted, just would want to know that and also, for how long would I be committing muself?

ten elite brains
02-04-2007, 06:50 PM
Is there a minimum period you need to rent the server for, like 12 months?

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 06:53 PM
but having so many users on that server? will it not be slow? I am intereseted, just would want to know that and also, for how long would I be committing muself?

again, not everyone will use 10-11MB/s every single minute of the day. obviously, there will be times when everyone will either be uploading and/or downloading something. also, the server won't have "too many" users. 3 i think is ok and 5 is the most.

the beauty of it is:

a. it will definitely be a LOT faster than your current home ISP
b. you won't have to worry about turning off your PC
c. etc.

as for how long you'll be committing yourself, it's all up to you! you can try it only for a month, if you like. all i ask is, tell me WEEKS before your month end so i can find someone who will replace your slot.

Panther
02-04-2007, 06:57 PM
and this service? how strict is it against torrents being seeded on their server? do they scan hardrives for rar files and such?

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 06:59 PM

i PM'd someone on FT.N who has a server with them and he told me that there is no minimum contract term.

also, if you look at the first post of this thread, right where i provided the link to this offer, you will notice that i posted a question asking for the min. contract term to confirm what my friend said.

but normally, since this a month-to-month thing, there is no commitment. besides, since i'll be paying via PayPal (for all who will share the server), i can easily "unsubscribe" automatically so i won't get charged again next time.

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 07:01 PM
and this service? how strict is it against torrents being seeded on their server? do they scan hardrives for rar files and such?

no, they do not scan their customers HD. they are not that strict because they are only a few of the providers who ALLOW IRC-related stuff on their servers as well as adult content.

that, and my good friend from FT.N has been using this server to seed there (and from other trackers, as well).

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 07:18 PM

i PM'd someone on FT.N who has a server with them and he told me that there is no minimum contract term.

also, if you look at the first post of this thread, right where i provided the link to this offer, you will notice that i posted a question asking for the min. contract term to confirm what my friend said.

but normally, since this a month-to-month thing, there is no commitment. besides, since i'll be paying via PayPal (for all who will share the server), i can easily "unsubscribe" automatically so i won't get charged again next time.

there is NO contract term, please go here (http://www.webhostingtalk.com/showpost.php?p=4346846&postcount=7) for confirmation...

organizm
02-04-2007, 07:29 PM
dude, you just cant be serious :o

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 09:05 PM
thanks to all those who PM'd. to those who would like to get in, there will be some slots open next month as some of the users will only do a 1-month "trial"...

gamer4eva
02-04-2007, 10:16 PM
A friend of mine uses pixelfx and said that he gets limited to 20mbit outbound and gets 100mbit only sometimes.....i am not sure about now but this was like 3-4 months back when he told me.

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 10:22 PM
A friend of mine uses pixelfx and said that he gets limited to 20mbit outbound and gets 100mbit only sometimes.....i am not sure about now but this was like 3-4 months back when he told me.

for $30, 20Mbit + 60GB HDD + 2TB is an AWESOME deal! i'm sure you can agree with that...

Rollin84
02-04-2007, 10:27 PM
im new to torrents (kinda). but i know what im doin. if you need someone else i might be down. im sick off my 768kb up... what operating system would be on it?

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 10:31 PM
im new to torrents (kinda). but i know what im doin. if you need someone else i might be down. im sick off my 768kb up... what operating system would be on it?

Windows 2003 Web Edition

basically, it looks and feels exactly like any other Windows OS! we've already ordered the server and i was told the setup time takes 3-5 days (hopefully quicker).

i'll keep your name in mind in a few weeks... :)

Rollin84
02-04-2007, 10:35 PM
alright thanks... i was in an accident (paralyzed) so basically on the computer all day lots of free time... plus the gov't pays me so i have money to waste :)

gamer4eva
02-04-2007, 10:55 PM

for $30, 20Mbit + 60GB HDD + 2TB is an AWESOME deal! i'm sure you can agree with that...

true.....;)

r0uJe
02-04-2007, 10:58 PM
alright thanks... i was in an accident (paralyzed) so basically on the computer all day lots of free time... plus the gov't pays me so i have money to waste :)

you know what, actually one of the users paid for TWO slots on the server (meaning he'll get doubled of everything - 120GB HDD space + ~4TB b/w) just for this month and he'll only do it for one month.

i'll give you his other slot once he gives that up... :thumbsup:

Rollin84
02-04-2007, 11:07 PM

you know what, actually one of the users paid for TWO slots on the server (meaning he'll get doubled of everything - 120GB HDD space + ~4TB b/w) just for this month and he'll only do it for one month.

i'll give you his other slot once he gives that up... :thumbsup:

sounds great! i'll start to get on more private trackers for a month like ScT and stuff. already have TL, SCC, PiSEXY... just gettin my ratios up:)

r0uJe
02-05-2007, 12:37 AM
sounds great! i'll start to get on more private trackers for a month like ScT and stuff. already have TL, SCC, PiSEXY... just gettin my ratios up:)

everyone has paid already except 1 user. i went ahead and paid for him so we can order the server and not waste any more time. if he doesn't sort out his PayPal problems tomorrow, i'll give you his slot.