PDA

View Full Version : horizontal lines on games

popwar
02-06-2007, 05:58 AM
i was wondering why i was getting horizontal lines going down my screen when i play games. i cant give a screen shot because they dont show up in the picture. Ever since i got my system back from being upgraded its been doing it. the video card is basically brand new i dont think thats the problem.

system specs:
AMD Athlon 64 3200+
512MB RAM
xp professional
radeon x1300 256mb ddr PCI
GeForce 6100 mainboard
Philips 150S 15" LCD monitor. ( if any of that helps )

as for the boot up. well. i disabled the onboard video because my card was better than it. when i boot up the bios splash screen or windows xp loading bar doesnt even show up. it just stays like the monitor is in standby mode until welcome screen, but if i plug my monitor into the onboard video that i disabled then it shows bios and loading bar like normal. how do i fix it to where it loads like normal with my radeon card?

GepperRankins
02-06-2007, 11:21 AM
look for an option in your card control panel or more likely in your individual games for an option named "vertical sync". turn it on and it should fix everything ftw

dunno about your other problem though

popwar
02-06-2007, 08:40 PM
*ftw* not really cuz it didnt help

Rip The Jacker
02-06-2007, 08:49 PM
These kind of lines?

http://www.nhancer.com/help/images/VSync.jpg

popwar
02-06-2007, 09:53 PM
no. it kinda looks like a tv station that is almost picked up on a station and horizontal lines just keep running down the screen.

GepperRankins
02-07-2007, 12:05 AM
no. it kinda looks like a tv station that is almost picked up on a station and horizontal lines just keep running down the screen.
sounds like your monitor can't handle the signal then. change the refresh rate. might be able to do it your control panel, or individual games. it's sometimes written as 1024x768@80. experiment with the last number. might be too low, i know 60hz kills me

popwar
02-07-2007, 02:04 AM
it never did it until after i upgraded my computer. its fixed now though anyways after messin with refresh rate. im still having boot problem though

GepperRankins
02-07-2007, 02:41 AM
it never did it until after i upgraded my computer. its fixed now though anyways after messin with refresh rate. im still having boot problem though
i've never had a problem like that so i don't know how to fix it.

this is the best i can find on google
http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/58303/

mbucari1
02-09-2007, 07:31 AM
I built a pc for a friend (an economic pc) and wes tweaking settings and installing software with it hooked up to my monitor. My monitor is 1680x1050. The video card couldn't really handly pumping out that many pixels and got the same exact lines that you are describing. That was just on the desktop. I have used the x1300, and had to upgrade. normal functions were fine, but games were jumpy because it only has 4 pixel pipelines. So to sum up, try decreasing your resolution.

popwar
02-09-2007, 03:42 PM
i dont want to play a game all pixely. but i guess i could do that and turn AA on . i only have 15inch monitor i got for 35 dollars from goodwill . its lcd.

popwar
02-09-2007, 03:46 PM
but i dont understand. i played my x1300 card on my old system before i upgraded and it ran excellent with no lines. it still runs excellent just lines now they go away after a while of playing

popwar
02-09-2007, 06:03 PM
lowering res down to 800 x 600 did fix my line problem.. it shouldnt have a problem. if its sumtn with my computer then it should have done it before with my old intel celeron 1.1ghz system

tesco
02-11-2007, 01:50 AM
To fix the booting problem look for a setting in your BIOS to disable onboard video completely, then the computer will use the added vid card as your default monitor.

As you have it now you've only told windows (the software) to use the new vid card as your default video card, not the hardware.
AFAIK if you were to reinstall windows (including the setup), use dos, or do anything else outside of windows you'd need to use the onboard video or else you won't see anything.

For the lines, it could be just a setting problem or could be that the video card is overheating and causing 'artifacts'. I'm trying to find you a good explanation about what artifacts are but can't find anything and can't really explain it myself.

popwar
02-11-2007, 03:41 AM
i know what artifacts are. but video card shouldnt over heat its not even a month old and has a decent heatsink/fan

tesco
02-11-2007, 03:58 PM
i know what artifacts are. but video card shouldnt over heat its not even a month old and has a decent heatsink/fanIf your case doesn't have proper ventilation then the heat from your video card, cpu, hard drives, etc. stays inside the case.

popwar
02-18-2007, 08:45 PM
i do it has two circle spots where big fans would go. the spots have holes so it can ''breathe''

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-20-2007, 11:41 AM
I get this issue playing bf 2142, but only when i am in a walker or when i zoom in with the tank guns. Im not sure what the best refresh to use is. Could this issue also be a monitor thing? I have a standard crt monitor. I have a radeon x1650 pro 512ddr and 3gb ram. I tried messing about with refresh rates but cant seem to make it go away.

ya think that lowering the res in the game to 800x600 would help? That sux, I like the 1024x768 :P