PDA

View Full Version : Tv Tuner

yarish
05-23-2003, 04:29 PM
What's the best TV Tuner (with remote) for the money? Anyone have one that they would recommend?

CornerPocket
05-23-2003, 05:09 PM
Only one I'm aware of that is commonly used is the ATi All-in-Wonder (http://www.ati.com/products/pc/aiwradeon8500dv/) card.

harrycary
05-23-2003, 05:38 PM
Getting a tuner with an RF(radio frequency) remote versus an IR(infrared) remote is preferred. I believe the ATI comes with the RF. This way there is no need to point the remote at your PC, let alone be in the same room, for it to work.
The tuners themselves will all be virtually the same. They all adhere to the same FCC standards(here in the US anyways). That much is true. It's the add'l features(i.e. cable ready?) of the card that are important to consider.

Good luck with it. Stop back with a review of what you buy.

yarish
05-23-2003, 05:40 PM
I'll let you guys know what I buy... but I may not be buying one for a while... I want to shop around first.

smellmycomputer
05-23-2003, 07:55 PM
i've got a wintv go card. it has no remote, but i'm just getting a keyboard extension lead for it. what is "cable ready"? my tv card has it but i have no idea what it does. i guess the main thing about my card is it was cheap, it cost me £30

harrycary
05-23-2003, 08:33 PM
"Cable ready" means the tuner will receive Cable TV signals as well as broadcast or over-the-air TV signals. (2 different standards)
Here in the US it's more-or-less a standard feature in anything that has a tuner in it(e.g. TVs & vcrs).

DivX
05-24-2003, 03:23 PM
yeh they can decode pay per view cable channels as easy as eating pie,

lol

look for a decoder cablecrypt pop the cable in the tv card and tune easy as that

smellmycomputer
05-24-2003, 03:39 PM
nice. i have digital cable tho, so is this a problem? actualy i think the analogue signal still comes down the system tho. i'll have to have a play when i get my new computer

smellmycomputer
05-24-2003, 05:03 PM
i've had a look for this cablecrypt thing, but i couldn't get any to work, mixure of missing dll's and not being set up for my hauppauge tv card. if anyone knows of a good cablecrypt program stick in a reply. thanks

balamm
05-24-2003, 05:37 PM
Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

DivX
05-24-2003, 07:31 PM
but if you llok on the site you got cable crypt from there should be european decoding software too

3RA1N1AC
05-25-2003, 04:03 PM
Originally posted by DivX@24 May 2003 - 11:31
but if you llok on the site you got cable crypt from there should be european decoding software too
D:

did you even read what he wrote? he said the program works for decrypting european cable, but not for american cable.

as for the original question, i recently got an ATI TV Wonder VE and i'm very pleased with it. there was a period when this card did not work properly under windowsXP, but the last couple of driver releases have fixed the problem. i've found that TV Wonder does a nice job of capturing VCD-quality mpeg from TV, using a program called WinDVR.

if you are in the market for upgrading your graphics card, you might consider "killing two birds with one stone" by getting an ATI Radeon All-In-Wonder card, which is a 2D/3D VGA card with a complete TV Wonder tuner/capture device integrated onto it. and a remote control is included in the 8500 models and newer.

DivX
05-25-2003, 05:21 PM
ohh hand bags ducky :blink:

Xanex
05-25-2003, 05:39 PM
Theres this Tv-99 tuner with remote and radio, cable ready, dont know about digital tho ud need another decoder for that. made by mentor, that infamouse company that makes things but has no website.

only trouble is the software is buggy tho u can use anyother software since its just a basic tv-99 card

TV CARD (http://www.gladiatorcomputers.com/productspec/productspeccom.php?pcode=ACCMENTVCARD)

http://www.gladiatorcomputers.com/products...de=ACCMENTVCARD (http://www.gladiatorcomputers.com/productspec/productspeccom.php?pcode=ACCMENTVCARD)

Spindulik
05-26-2003, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by DivX@24 May 2003 - 16:23
yeh they can decode pay per view cable channels as easy as eating pie,

lol

look for a decoder cablecrypt pop the cable in the tv card and tune easy as that
Not mine. All of my Pay Per View is digital cable. However, my TV Wonder card can recieve analog cable signal very well.

ging
05-27-2003, 07:22 AM
I really had a bad time buying a TV tuner

First, I was considering to buy a TV or a TV tuner and I decided to buy a TV tuner because it saves spaces.

after I decided to a TV tuner, I searched information about USB TV tuner(I have a laptop), There are ATI, Pinnacle..., I really couldn't decide which one to buy. I read a lot of reviews(there are not so many articles about TV tuner especially the usb ones), most of the cards have low picture quality according to those reviews. And I finally chose Viewsonic Nextvision N5 TV tuner, it took me a whole week to come to the decision. I bought at www.directdial.com. There's nothing happened after I connected my laptop with the TV tuner, I wrote email to the store about the TV tuner if it's compatible with laptop and viewsonic, there's no response. and I posted in a forum(can't remember which one), and then I know it's not compatible with laptop because most laptops don't have video input. There's nothing I could do, I couldn't return the Tv tuner because the store has really bad return policy, I hate it. I'll never shop there again. and I bought a Portable LCD monitor, the quality just sucks.

and now I'm going to buy another TV tuner.

Nightwolf
05-28-2003, 03:59 AM
I've been considering one of these...

http://www.hauppauge.com/html/products.htm

kazaaliterock
07-05-2003, 01:53 AM
so if i get a tv tuner card do i still have to pay for the premium channel to receive them? i only got basic.