PDA

View Full Version : Who Uses Linux?

mutterings
05-23-2003, 08:07 PM
Hiya peoples :D just wondering who here uses linux i hear it is a great os apart from the hardware support :( I would like to change from the evil known as windows so any thoughts on this would be great B)

[B][O][T]
05-23-2003, 08:14 PM
Linux Mandrake 9.0 should be a good start for You (3 CD's to download).
A dual boot is also something that I suggest You to do.

BOT

ilw
05-23-2003, 08:51 PM
I'll second that Mandrake's good though I had trouble figuring out the lilo boot options in mandrake and ended up deleting NT boot loader so XP wouldn't start :o Also theres very little literature to help u with mandrake (I found anyway) If u want a wide support base and lots of stuff u can read to get u going I'd probably recommend red hat linux though I haven't tried the recent releases.

balamm
05-23-2003, 10:20 PM
Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

mutterings
05-24-2003, 12:44 AM
thanks people so mandrake is the reccomendation then....i will start downloading now.....bill gates if you are reading this please dont hesitate and reply as to why i shouldnt go linux?......ps longhorn is crap lol

4play
05-24-2003, 12:52 AM
sorry to say it but i really do not like mandrake. it was a big let down.

I like suse much better. excelent amounts of software included and grub is a much better boot loader then lilo.

my uni uses mandarke and i got root for a bit of fun(under supervision of a system admin since he is my mate)

red hat is also a good starting os. but i would not kill windows off just yet i still like to use it for many apps that cannot be found in linux.

like [B][O][T] said dual booting is an excellent star so i would try that first it will teach you alot. ;)

mutterings
05-24-2003, 12:56 AM
I have 2 H/Drives so i dont intend on shooting myself in the foot just yet lol

4play
05-24-2003, 01:01 AM
a 5 gig partition on one should do the trick.

also read the first three chapters. (http://www.linux.org/lessons/beginner/toc.html)

that will help explain linux.

http://www.tldp.org/ the article on bootloaders is a must read before you install any linux distro.

p2pmaster
05-24-2003, 10:36 AM
stick with windows linux is totaly crap :blink:

dingoBaby
05-24-2003, 02:32 PM
I have been trying to put Mandrake 9.1 on a partitioned hard drive, to run in a dual boot environment, and I have had loads of problems. The second disc, containing most of the packages, seems to be the problem. Most of the packages failed to load and the installer was hanging. I got it up and running but I can't seem to do anything with it. I am going to mess around with it somemore but I am also dl'ing the RedHat iso from bit torrent.

sandrathom60
05-24-2003, 02:59 PM
I've used Mandrake (8.1-9.0),Debian 3.0 and am currently dual-booting XP and Slackware. Here's a hint. Before you start, give yourself the same time frame it took to learn Windows. Linux is a whole new ballgame and getting used to the idea that you can do anything you want to a system is a little spooky at first. I reinstalled my first system over a dozen times. Check out "distrowatch.com". They have all the latest distros.

dingoBaby
05-26-2003, 02:46 PM
Originally posted by mutterings@23 May 2003 - 20:44
thanks people so mandrake is the reccomendation then....i will start downloading now.....bill gates if you are reading this please dont hesitate and reply as to why i shouldnt go linux?......ps longhorn is crap lol
You might want to try Red Hat too. I dl'ed Mandrake from Bittorrent and I think I got bad iso's. Nothing from the second disk would load and I coulded use the rescue mode. It would load the rescue screen but then I would freeze up. I wanted to restore the windows boot loader and could not. I ended up getting the Red Hat 9 isos from Bittorrent, deleting the mandrake partitions from XP disk manager and installing Red Hat.

Red Hat seems very easy to use and the only problem I have had so far is the fact that I doesn't recognize my Dell modified SB Live soundcard (an ongoing issue in the Dell Support forums). If anyone had any suggestions on that front please feel free to post them. ;)

echidna
05-26-2003, 03:01 PM
i run red hat - it does strange things when formating disks
it's a definite learning curve
but the serverware is great
still don't use it as a workstation though
BTW

Originally posted by p2pmaster
stick with windows linux is totally crap
your opinion is total crap fella :: 10 :1 this site is hosted on linux [i know it's apache and who runs apache on winblows] OSs are horses for courses [and windows is the lowest common denominator]

Wolfmight
05-26-2003, 03:11 PM
xp is better than linux..

4play
05-26-2003, 03:25 PM
which os is better has been argued on nearly every forum including this one there are loads if you have alook.

but learning something new is always good. and linux is ideal for a server and the price cannot be beaten.

Why is everyone downloading it off bittorent is all that i am wondering.

linuxiso (http://www.linuxiso.org) has all the distros you could ever want and all are hosted on hundreads of very fast ftp servers. just click the folder icon next to the distro and architecture you want and there is a list of mirrors.

liquidacid
05-26-2003, 04:35 PM
Hiya peoples  just wondering who here uses linux i hear it is a great os apart from the hardware support  I would like to change from the evil known as windows so any thoughts on this would be great 

While i hate corporate greed as much as anyone, Windows is (IMO) the best os for home users. And anyway, it's only evil if you pay for it, or let it spy on you. :-"

mutterings
05-26-2003, 08:47 PM
Thanks for responses everybody...as 4 play mentioned in his post why download from p2p when you can download linux straight from source??? :unsure: Any way Having downloaded linux mandrake (11hr d/l 3 iso files :( )And spending half a night trying to install it on a partition (whch wasnt a great success :D )i formatted my h/d then istalled without any problems whatsoever :o!! once installed( all drivers found within linux auto installed) i thought i would try to connect to internet :lol: :lol: :lol: this is where i encountered my only problem...my modem software needs a patch (although it said everthing was installed)so thats where i stopped for the time being untill i have got the patch(no prob getting patch just being lazy :lol: )I spent a few hours looking around mandrake linux and as first impressions go i am impressed.I noticed that my graphics card has been considerably slowed down but then it is only a stopgap not the oem driver(which i hope i can get or good equivelant)So i will be vain enough to give it a few ratings :)for my first outing with linux.

1.ease of install on partition
0/10(this is a novice trying to load it ok!!!)

2.install on formatted drive
10/10 (i literally didnt do anything apart from type my user name and password in)

3.Getting started
3/10(a bit daunting as i am so used to the windoze format and tere is no real tutorial as such I know this is sad but someone should make some windoesq wizards...i am sure it wont take me long to work out :o )

4.how does it look
6/10 Looks fine aesthetically

5.price
10/10 Free source prog so u dont have to look over your virtual shoulder to see if gill bates(normans younger brother)

Overall this looks good i would say definately not for the faint hearted i would reccomend a second hard drive to install onto then just mess around with it.As i have said before i am not a professional programmer or anything like that so please keep the post nice and simple for us idiots lol

oh yeah windows vs linux?......you cant they are totally different entities completely just go in open minded.