PDA

View Full Version : You Prefer Paper Books Or Ebooks?

ging
05-23-2003, 10:33 PM
I prefer pbooks, it's really difficult to read books in the computer and feel uncomfortable

J'Pol
05-23-2003, 10:44 PM
I like books on paper.

However I am quite comfortable reading books on my Palm PDA. I have posted about this elsewhere.

In fact now I think of it I probably prefer it now that I am used to it. No page turning, just press a button. No bulky book to carry.

I have about 10 on my Palm just now and carry them all about in my inside pocket.

It means I can be reading different things, depending on my mood.

thegroggman
05-23-2003, 10:52 PM
I definitely prefer pbooks. I dont even read manuals or pdf files on the pc...I just print them out. And back to the books, I dont know...just the feel of a good book in your hand...even the smell. You just dont get that with ebooks. And the resolution on most books, is perfectly optimized for human vision :D ...although...I must say Jpaul's thing about books on the PDA...Im gonna have to look into that...

J'Pol
05-23-2003, 10:58 PM
You're right about the smell, that's the only thing that is missing.

I have books over 100 years old and the smell is part of the experience.

It's like eating a good meal, you smell it before and while you are eating. The experience is not the same without it.

Its a whole sensual thing.

thegroggman
05-23-2003, 11:05 PM
You're right about the smell, that's the only thing that is missing.

I have books over 100 years old and the smell is part of the experience.

It's like eating a good meal, you smell it before and while you are eating. The experience is not the same without it.

Its a whole sensual thing. Amen to that. I think most people take for granted there sense of smell, the reading experience isnt the same without that soothing muskey smell. Ebooks are too impersonal...but pbooks I dont know...they are like old friends. :D

Curley
05-23-2003, 11:26 PM
Books are better because they have more character, plus you can take them almost anywhere with you.

ne1GotZardoz
05-24-2003, 01:41 PM
I'm afraid I consider a comparison of ebooks to pbooks, to be like comparing apples to oranges.

They both please me for different reasons.

I like holding a pbook in my lap as I sit under the soft glow of an incandecent lamp late at night.
Its really the only way to fully appreciate a true classic.

However, I also enjoy informational books and I find ebooks to be the best medium there.

The Bible, The US Army Survival guide, pretty much any reference book. These are books who's usefulness is enhanced so much by an ebook format that the only real need for a hard copy would be in the event of system failure.

Also, I noticed one guy on here who has 10 books on a palm pilot.

Such convienience. To carry ten books to work with you having less weight than a single paperback.
Read on your breaks. Or on a trip cross country.
Solar power pack for the palm.

The complete works of Shakespeare at daybreak or evening light.

Without having to lug an extra 10 pounds of book.

Sorry...I don't see how you can compare the two. They are both good for different reasons.

Peace

tianup
05-24-2003, 04:51 PM
I much prefer paper books, but there are obviously some advantages to e-books such as storage for reading on a Palm, or sharing of files....

merlin-1
05-24-2003, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Curley@23 May 2003 - 19:26
Books are better because they have more character, plus you can take them almost anywhere with you.
I'll agree with that.

imported_QuietSilence!
05-24-2003, 08:04 PM
ya ilove my palm for ebooks its just as good as a P-book to me better in fact as its a lot easry er to press a button then turn a page in fact my reader will slowly scrol thu the pages if u want but i dont do that just a thum on the buton is best i think

the only exception to this is lether bond books i love the feel and smell of them but i only have a few of these and i dont likr to use them as there to valuble to me to risk something happning too them like me falling asleep on them

the rest of my p-books are paper back and i pefer my palm to them un fortunaly i dont have them all in ebook format so i still got to drag the 6000 book colection around when i move about every 2 years or so as thats part of my job but as soon as i get them all on ebook format there donated to the local libary :)

botts
05-26-2003, 12:51 PM
i'm still really getting into this whole ebook thing. i love my pbooks and like quietsilence, pack them lovingly into boxes evry time i move. they are the last thing to get packed and the first to get unpacked. :) i've done it 8 times in the last 10 years or so.... :huh:

however, i do really like the convenience, ease of use and "storability" of the ebooks. i think the jury is still out on this one for me.

botts

N£MO
05-26-2003, 01:01 PM
For me,it has to be paper back books.I'm not comfortable with reading on my computer screen.

A book is a book with paper and a cover.

Curley
05-26-2003, 01:31 PM
Paper books are more personal in my opinion.

WeeMouse
05-28-2003, 06:31 AM
I love my wee collection of books! I dunno what it is, but I would much prefer to read a paper book than an ebook...then again, I haven't got one of those wee hand-held computers....and you can't really spill your dinner on a first edition ebook...

:)

sArA
05-30-2003, 03:07 AM
Mmmm must get a palm...sounds like heaven having so many books to choose from without having to lug em about....

As for reading on the pc...I find my eyes get sore after a while...and its really difficult to curl up in bed with a good computer isn't it....

so until I get a palm...been looking and looking.. (recommendations for good ones under $100?) its paper, paper all the way.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN
05-30-2003, 08:35 AM
;) I guess I am getting real Old and way behind the times.But when did we start calling so called Books...."Paper Books"?I mean it is not called a "Paper Book Store" is it?

Refering to Books as Paper Books.....you people are a bunch of Matrix Geeks. :P :P :P

Wow look at that.....it has that stuff called Paper. :lol: :lol: :lol:

charity
05-30-2003, 12:38 PM
Quite right Funky Capricorn! You tell em &i dont get the point of the whole e-book thing...appart from the fact that it ruins your eyes you cant beat the smell of a brand new book...go to borders and get out some more you guys...

Curley
05-30-2003, 05:23 PM
Well, everyone likes differant things. Just like some people prefer beans, yet I prefer spagetti.......

Not a very good example I know, but i'm sure you get my drift ;)

Guillaume
05-30-2003, 05:31 PM
I just don't care if it's printed on paper or a bunch of particules projected on a computer or pda screen... Of course e-books don't smell like new or old books, they are sometimes full of typos ( the ones you get on P2P, actually! ) but does that really matter? Ideas are what matters not the media theyr'e on.

Wolfmight
05-30-2003, 06:48 PM
paper books.

I will print an ebook if it's not to big

PB Montgolfier
05-30-2003, 11:03 PM
Originally posted by Gurahl@30 May 2003 - 17:31
I just don't care if it's printed on paper or a bunch of particules projected on a computer or pda screen... Of course e-books don't smell like new or old books, they are sometimes full of typos ( the ones you get on P2P, actually! ) but does that really matter? Ideas are what matters not the media theyr'e on.
Kurt Vonnegut said, I paraphrase

"If you can read you can think the thoughts of angels"

I agree with you. It is the work that is important not the medium.

For anyone who wants to try the PDA option, get a cheap version with a monochrome screen. Just make sure that you have a way to synchronise it with your PC. Mine has a cradle so to install books I only have to push one button and the PC sends the file directly to the palm. This is really an example of where you want the older technology. The monochrome monitor, 8Mb the batteries last longer and it is easy to read the screen.

Once you have used the Palm method a few times you don't even notice the difference. Let's face it if the book is any good you become so enthralled the format is not important.

OcramC
05-30-2003, 11:21 PM
paper books - you can hit people round the head with them

Bass
05-30-2003, 11:33 PM
You can`t beat flickin the pages of a good book. The palms not bad,but i much prefer paper.

Guillaume
05-30-2003, 11:41 PM
Originally posted by OcramC@31 May 2003 - 00:21
You've got a point there! But since I don't mind using e-books, I usually carry a large stick, or club with a nail in it, to prevent being annoyed while reading ( why do people always have to interrupt you with some stupid question when you're reading? ) :lol:

PB Montgolfier
05-30-2003, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by Gurahl+30 May 2003 - 23:41--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Gurahl @ 30 May 2003 - 23:41)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--OcramC@31 May 2003 - 00:21
You&#39;ve got a point there&#33; But since I don&#39;t mind using e-books, I usually carry a large stick, or club with a nail in it, to prevent being annoyed while reading ( why do people always have to interrupt you with some stupid question when you&#39;re reading? ) :lol: [/b][/quote]
Particularly when they say "Are you reading ?"

ooo
05-31-2003, 02:28 AM
paper back books since ebooks hurt my eyes... n im only fourteen shitt....

Runik
06-01-2003, 05:42 AM
Paper books .. i dunno the flipping of the page to page ... cannot be duplicated :rolleyes:

Freek1e
06-01-2003, 08:21 AM
Hmm... Paper Books versus CRT screen projected E-Books

Now that is a tough one......

Nah... I am only kidding

Real books (not paper books pls&#33;)

you cannot beat sitting down with a real book (and a glass of your favourite drink*) and just chillin out for a few hours
(whilst the downloads are running :lol: )

* BTW, Brandy in case you were wondering what mine is

Curley
06-01-2003, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by Freek1e@1 June 2003 - 09:21
Hmm... Paper Books versus CRT screen projected E-Books

Now that is a tough one......

Nah... I am only kidding

Real books (not paper books pls&#33;)

you cannot beat sitting down with a real book (and a glass of your favourite drink*) and just chillin out for a few hours
(whilst the downloads are running :lol: )

* BTW, Brandy in case you were wondering what mine is
But ebooks are also real too.

PB Montgolfier
06-01-2003, 11:51 AM
Oranges are not the only fruit.

Freek1e
06-01-2003, 10:20 PM
there is no spoon either