PDA

View Full Version : Why Don't Some Share

loz
05-23-2003, 10:53 PM
Ok so I was on kazaa today sharing and some guy starts downloading a pretty rare file off me (one that took me hours to get that I had to arrange to get off someones FTP) and he downloads off me at 30kb/s. (would have taken him few hours no effort)
He wasn't sharing...
--------
myusername@KaZaA:
Ok well if your not even gonna give me a reason to why you're not sharing you're not having the episode of me
--------
mauricio@KaZaA:
(he replied with a blank)
--------
myusername@KaZaA:
Ok well I have unshared it, if you want the episode (and my others) then either share or at least tell me why you're not sharing
--------

mauricio@KaZaA:
I am not sharing...cuz I dont want to... that simple my friend...

--------
myusername@KaZaA:
Well this is even more simple F*CK OFF AND DON'T BOTHER TRYING TO DOWNLOAD OFF ME IT DOESN'T AFFECT YOUR CONNECTION, YOU'RE JUST BEING A TIGHT B*STARD AND I SHALL WARN OTHERS OF YOU!
--------
mauricio@KaZaA:
whatever!
--------

(Wish I'd have got his IP)

OlderThanDirt
05-23-2003, 11:22 PM
The only people I'd give any slack to would be 56K dialup users downloading an MP3. Back when I was handicapped with 56K, I used to download certain files I wanted. And then, when I was done, I'd open up sharing so people uploading from me could get the best speed I could give them (and just leave my computer on until the ISP logged me off). But, there isn't much of an excuse for broadband users not sharing.

Switeck
05-25-2003, 12:52 AM
The example person was on broadband, he's not sharing, and he's an asshole.
That's 3 good reasons to kick him off.

I use TCPview + Peer Guardian to actuall ban-by-ip for a few hours the leeches I spot.

Also, I allow more than 1 upload at a time (typically set to 5) because I don't want most of it to go idle and so a single leech SHOULDN'T be able to get >50% of my bandwidth.

Somebody1234
05-25-2003, 03:24 AM
We need to start making lists of IPs that we could post here on the board. It would get to be a good deterent. It might make people think twice about sharing if they knew they could be added to the list. If a lot of us would block them with peerguardian then they wouldn't get sources. 56k users would not be affected, their IPs change with each logon. I still think 56k users should share. Broadband users should not have a choice.

Headbust
05-25-2003, 03:48 AM
i dont share....main reason is because i play multiplayer games, and the uploading files would give me about 300ping compared to my 30-50 average. Im to lazy to keep turning it off and on through menu options, if there was say a button in the toolbar that enabled it and disabled it i might possibly change my ways when not play online games.

Ghetto...
05-25-2003, 04:28 AM
it isnt hard to close it you know, you right click on the icon in taskbar and then hit exit :rtfm:

infamousalbo101
05-25-2003, 05:49 AM
some people dont upload because the isp does not allow it because there gay because without sharing what would p2p be

Somebody1234
05-25-2003, 12:51 PM
Anyone not sharing and allowing uploading should not download. Period.

@Headbust, If you are that lazy then why don't you just leave Kazaalite off or uninstall it.

ChaoTix
05-25-2003, 12:58 PM
Hey,

They just need to disable sharing in kazaa disabled!!!

If you dont want much to upload, you can still adjust your upload speed to 1 kb/sec.

Greetz,

ChaoTix

DJ-KeTTLe
05-25-2003, 01:28 PM
i dont share but i'm not d/ling every day i do about 3 gbs cause thats all i get for the month if i could share i would

p.s i bet im not the only one!!

ijc_2003
05-25-2003, 01:41 PM
why cant the new peer gurdian have tcp/ip connections so that you can see ip and also block them
i still use peer guardian veresion 1.2 just to see who is uploading from me

if i get some 1 who isnt sharing i send them a message telling them to share if not
i tell them i will block them and they dont belive me, 2 secs l8r there gone i love this version
1.2 peer guardian very effective for strange uploaders.

hollerz
05-25-2003, 01:42 PM
its probably better if i dont share because i'm on 56k and people download from me at about 3KB/s. i do share every now and again but every time someone downloads they just abort when they see the shit speed there getting. its just wasting there time.

ijc_2003
05-25-2003, 02:10 PM
yeh i agree hollerz 56k modems should turn there uploads off, or only share very small programs and utilitys
and pictures.

and also i dont mind a 56k uploading from me as long as its a small program
but trying to download anything over 20mb forget it

when i had a 56k modem i would only download songs and very small programs nothing over 20mb
so all use 56kers should do the same.

Switeck
05-25-2003, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by hollerz@25 May 2003 - 08:42
its probably better if i dont share because i'm on 56k and people download from me at about 3KB/s. i do share every now and again but every time someone downloads they just abort when they see the shit speed there getting. its just wasting there time.
3 KB/sec is a LOT faster than most downloads I'm seeing. :P
Just set sharing to 1 upload at a time and upload bandwidth to 24 kilobits/sec, share a limited number of (small) files and forget about it.
You're doing your part by sharing.
3 KB/sec = 10 MB an hour

Most people on broadband probably won't abort the download unless they're closing Kazaa entirely -- they're the ones most likely to leave it running for 24/7.

Switeck
05-25-2003, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Somebody1234@24 May 2003 - 22:24
We need to start making lists of IPs that we could post here on the board. It would get to be a good deterent. It might make people think twice about sharing if they knew they could be added to the list. If a lot of us would block them with peerguardian then they wouldn't get sources. 56k users would not be affected, their IPs change with each logon. I still think 56k users should share. Broadband users should not have a choice.
A list is nearly worthless, because people can change their nicknames and many/most are on dynamic ips.

On the OTHER hand, it might be worth finding out which ISPs have super-draconian (and actually ENFORCED) useage policies that either prevent running of Kazaa on their service, throttle it horribly, or just block uploads.

I know Shaw cable forbids (in writing only) its users from uploading, but some do it anyway. Most however are leeches...

Many universities are able to DOWNLOAD off Kazaa at blazing speeds but their uploads are now throttled to 1 KB/sec total. :(

Somebody1234
05-25-2003, 04:25 PM
To every one in this thread who said they are not sharing (for whatever reason) you are leaches! :angry: :angry: Uninstall your Kazaalite and leave. We don't need you. That goes for anyone else reading this message who aren't sharing.

This situation amazes me. The development team here works and works on ways to improve download speed and we end up with real slow downloads. All because you people seem to justify turning off sharing. No sources=no downloads.

I have been sharing good quality files. Ones that are properly named and tested full versions of the latest software, movies, TV episodes etc. I do this with a highspeed connection and uploads are always busy 24/7.

Ok, ok sorry if I seem too harsh... You've convinced me. I will turn off my sharing too as you suggest I should.

slimboyfatz
05-25-2003, 05:07 PM
Yeah i agree totally with the above argument, u need to share, this is the whole basis of Kazaa and other P2P programs. Just installing this program and accepting no Uploads is just LEECHING plain & simple..
For example i got a copy of 'Matrix Reloaded' 2 cds, which i've been sharing for around a week now, im on a Broadband connection so have left quite a few slots open (also i aint wanting to download much at the minute) so more users can get this file and in turn share it themselves, But i've had people messaging me and saying 'cheers u is the only one sharing', this aint good to hear. It seems people will get a good file and keep it for themselves (not good/not a kazaa attitude)..now i feel an arse when i have to shut off my Pc at night and kill they're only source..Shape up non-sharers or F**k Off!!! :angry:

ISthisLEGAL.com
05-25-2003, 06:15 PM
We should ALL cancel peoples uploads from us if they arnt sharing and also

cancel people takeing the piss out of us with up load speeds like 1kb

we need to fight back against the leechers!!!! there is no reason for not

sharing.

sam71
05-26-2003, 03:05 AM
They (leeches) are known as lamers, you can find most of them at www.dslreports.com in software sharing forum. IRC is one of their favorite stuff because no one has to upload anything but the queue is astonishing! since no one is uploading. Their all feeding on the same crap over and over, mostly junk file, worthless IMHO and extremely paranoid freaks who think uploading is a waste of their bandwidth or they might get caught. wtf?

Switeck
05-26-2003, 05:14 AM
Originally posted by ISthisLEGAL.com@25 May 2003 - 13:15
We should ALL cancel peoples uploads from us if they arnt sharing and also

cancel people takeing the piss out of us with up load speeds like 1kb

we need to fight back against the leechers!!!! there is no reason for not sharing.You seem to have confused 2 separate, almost unrelated, problems.

People who download slowly from you are the ones who are often _uploading_ (IE:sharing) too fast for their connection... and you're going to reward them for their efforts by treating them like they're a leech! :angry:

They may be trying to share too much at once or they may be trying to get 5+ sources or downloads going at once using a 56k.

Message them, and ask if you can help them instead.
Usually it's a simple fix: they just need to
1.turn off optimal bandwidth while idle
2.set upload bandwidth to the max (or slightly less) for their connection
3.reduce max uploads
4.reduce max DOWNLOADS if on 56k to only about 5 and if they're using KL++ reduce the number of sources PER download to only about 5 (it can try more than 5, it will only allow 5 ACTIVE sources.)

Trying to upload to 10+ people at once even on a decent broadband connection means <2 KB/sec average speed for each upload and LOTS of disconnects&#33;

Ad
05-26-2003, 06:46 AM
Im sick of this we all complain about people that don&#39;t shre it we wanna cut them ok how about this someone who does share 8gig worth of files ok and all those files a fake, why should he be able to upload of u???? yet we will cut some poor person who may have a clen new drive with nothing on it ready

ISthisLEGAL.com
05-26-2003, 11:30 AM
Something needs to be done&#33; am not saying my idea is the right way to go about it but the network is crippled&#33;&#33;&#33; how can we tackle these problems???

Somebody1234
05-26-2003, 02:08 PM
Originally posted by ISthisLEGAL.com@26 May 2003 - 07:30
Something needs to be done&#33; am not saying my idea is the right way to go about it but the network is crippled&#33;&#33;&#33; how can we tackle these problems???
Great&#33; Finally. I have been saying this for a long time now. We need to look for solutions. Lets do it.

First thing is we need to do is remove the &#39;[ ] Diasable sharing of files with other users&#39; option.
Then we need to make an app that scans uploaders to detect leeches. Then block that IP. (an app that works properly)
(I know some people will bitch about the fact that the privacy patch users will get cut. This issue was brought to the attention of the developers when the made that patch. I suggested that it block the list but at least show something like "This user is sharing (x) files. The developers would not listen.)

We then need to have a positve image on the dicussing board about this issue. When visitors or members view the board now and see that the general attitude is "It&#39;s not important to share", they start doing the same. If we can all start to reply "Sharing is an improtant responsabillity, and the nerwork depends on it", then maybe people will follow the idea and share.

Im sick of this we all complain about people that don&#39;t shre it we wanna cut them ok how about this someone who does share 8gig worth of files ok and all those files a fake, why should he be able to upload of u???? yet we will cut some poor person who may have a clen new drive with nothing on it ready
This general attitude shows that "I might share if I can download it first."
Where to you think all these files come from? Someone had to "pack" them or "rip" them and add those files to the network.
What would be wrong with a new user with a "clean" drive adding at least 1 new file to his shared folder before he uses it?

Ad
05-26-2003, 02:16 PM
This general attitude shows that "I might share if I can download it first."
Where to you think all these files come from? Someone had to "pack" them or "rip" them and add those files to the network.
What would be wrong with a new user with a "clean" drive adding at least 1 new file to his shared folder before he uses it?

It mught be a newbie who doen&#39;t know how to rip any file I happen to have riped 630 mp3 of my own so don&#39;t tell me I might not share and I am on 56k and always leave my u/p going even though it slows the shit out my connection I don&#39;t care I like the spread the REAL files around just stop winging about leeches and worry about ourselves

Somebody1234
05-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Are you really trying to say that a new 56k user has no files to add? :blink:
Not a picture, text file, music, his own creation...etc. Nothing?

Wow&#33; That&#39;s real sharing. NOT. :P

Just think about it. If each user would add 1 file. Wow that&#39;s millions of files.

Ad
05-26-2003, 02:31 PM
yes That is right but who would want to dl something like that??

I&#39;m not saying people shoudn;t share i&#39;m just saying don&#39;t worry about it coz it doesnt effect me I get the files I want and am quite happy to share what I get and rip. but what I&#39;m not happy with is people who share fakes

echidna
05-26-2003, 02:42 PM
removing the hide shared files option would be terrible
and dangerous
i&#39;ve had more troubles with corupt and incorrect files
i&#39;ve always shared and always tryed to hide my file list - so you wanna cut me out
i rip loads of audio too so it&#39;s input sharing rather than adding sources ususally

good notion :D bad idea :angry:

Ad
05-26-2003, 02:57 PM
They actully aready tryed to remove that option in build 2 but to many leechers complainded and they brought it back

Somebody1234
05-26-2003, 03:43 PM
How can we "tackle these problems" if we don&#39;t work together?

removing the hide shared files option would be terrible
and dangerousI never said remove the &#39;hide shared files" option.
I said "the &#39;[ ] Diasable sharing of files with other users&#39; option."

But the "hide shared files" option need to be fixed to have a search result show "User is sharing (x) number files" but no list.

They actully aready tryed to remove that option in build 2 but to many leechers complainded and they brought it back Why are we listening to those leeches???

ISthisLEGAL.com
05-26-2003, 08:11 PM
The only thing we can do at the moment is cancel people up loading from us who arnt sharing&#33;&#33; i know this isnt the long term answer to the problem because some people are sharing with the privacy patch but this is the only way we can fight back at the moment, i feel bad for the people i cut off who are sharing but on tell kazza bring something out so we know whos doing what everyone must cancel people who appear not to be sharing its the only answer at the moment, if anyone has any better ideas lets hear them???

Dieselpower
05-26-2003, 09:20 PM
Why are we listening to those leeches???
We are not listening to them but i think only Paul is listening to them&#33; How sadly may it sound...

First thing is we need to do is remove the &#39;[ ] Diasable sharing of files with other users&#39; option
Everybody must be forced to share, if somebody doesn&#39;t like it then don&#39;t use K-Lite&#33; Isn&#39;t that obvious?
You have problems with ISP download/upload limits? Then again stop using K-Lite - you will never ever have any problems with Gb&#39;s limits&#33;

Switeck
05-26-2003, 10:35 PM
Mainly, it&#39;s the FAST leeches that matter -- they&#39;re the ones that drain the network the MOST.

I may have 7 upload slots allowed at once and a total speed of 28KB/sec -- but oftentimes I spot 1 upload that&#39;s going >15KB/sec while all the rest don&#39;t have above 3KB/sec each. And 9 times out of 10, that 1 &#39;fast&#39; upload is to a leech who is getting more than half my bandwidth because they&#39;re not slowed down by uploading themselves...

Here&#39;s my message:

You don&#39;t seem to be sharing anything on this file-sharing network. :(
I can tell you how to speed your connection up (even outside of Kazaa) while still sharing.
My email is [email protected]

And in 5-10 mins or less of me sending that message, I disconnect that upload by cancelling it, and clearing the failed/completed uploads list before they reappear -- then reduce the number of uploads by 1 if they rejoin... so it only disconnects them. :D

I think I&#39;ve gotten 3 harsh/angry replies out of over 300 -- out of maybe 3,000 such messages sent. I&#39;ve probably converted 100 leeches into people who share... at least part of the time. But that&#39;s still better than nothing. MANY of those who I&#39;ve messaged THOUGHT they were sharing -- they usually fix that in <5 mins.

I also message people who have very slow download speeds from me and tell them what I think is wrong with their connection. It&#39;s pretty obvious if they&#39;re sharing >1,000 popular files... they don&#39;t have an upload bandwidth limit and often not a upload slot max as well. Since I can easily find out people&#39;s REAL ips, I can also determine most people&#39;s ISPs as well -- and already know a few which are nasty for Kazaa (Shawcable and Road Runner in areas of no competition for instance.)

Somebody1234
05-26-2003, 11:54 PM
That&#39;s good news, Switeck. Now I know that I am not the only now on this crusade to try to convert leeches. I have been doing similar actions to try to get them to understand how thet can share without it affecting them at all.

smellmycomputer
05-27-2003, 09:04 AM
Yey, my internet connection doesn&#39;t crash when i allow uploads now

wOOt, now i&#39;m not a leach

ISthisLEGAL.com
05-27-2003, 09:05 AM
so everone, is it right?? or wrong?? to cancel uploads of people who dont appear to be sharing??? is anyone eles just cuting people off???

what ever we diecide to do we ALL have to do it or theres no point in anyone doing anything so whos for cutting them off???

70% of people uploading movies from me arnt sharing and are uploading from me at speeds like 35.00kb/s :angry:

its time for action not words before things get any worse&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

melgl
05-27-2003, 06:19 PM
can someone tell me how you can tell if an uploader is sharing or not&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

ISthisLEGAL.com
05-27-2003, 11:18 PM
Look at the list of people uploading from you (leeching in most cases) right click your mouse over one, then select find more from same user and it should bring a list up of what they are sharing, if nothing comes up ask them why they arnt sharing, if not happy with there reason cancel there up load.

if they keep re-connecting go into kazaa opitions, traffic, and lower the number of up loads by one, if your the only source they might do the right thing and start sharing.

Switeck
05-27-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by melgl@27 May 2003 - 13:19
can someone tell me how you can tell if an uploader is sharing or not&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;
To tell if someone is sharing,
1.click on an upload to that person (in the uploads window)
2.RIGHT click to get the menu to come up
3.choose find more sources/files by... user
4.the window should change to the SEARCH window and that user&#39;s shared files should be listed... although you sometimes have to retry this once or twice to be sure it didn&#39;t fail due to a glitch. Chances are, if they&#39;re downloading from you very rapidly they should be able to respond to the list files quickly and are less likely to be hit by that glitch/bug/problem.

If NO files are listed, and their PL is anything other than 1,000 (or more) then they&#39;re most likely not sharing anything.
If their PL is 1,000 (or more), then they may have KL++ with &#39;privacy patch&#39; enabled or they may not be sharing anything.

ISthisLEGAL.com:
"so everone, is it right?? or wrong?? to cancel uploads of people who dont appear to be sharing??? is anyone eles just cuting people off???"

Is it right or wrong to not want to play ball by &#39;everyone else&#39;s rules&#39; at least occassionally?
Sometimes you no doubt shut down Kazaa Lite++ and shut off your computer entirely.
People can&#39;t download from you then either.

Yes it is right&#33;

If we&#39;re truely INTERESTED in both SHARING files AND sticking it to those that think sharing any form of copyrighted materials should carry automatic felony counts and jail sentences... then we MUST cancel those who aren&#39;t sharing that are sucking up the majority of our upload bandwidth&#33;

If we don&#39;t, we are rewarding leeching behavior beyond what KL++ already does (with its maxed-out PL rating and faster downloads) and we are little more than COWARDS to the media cartels for thinking we have security by obscurity (when our numbers may be dwindling rapidly due to people quitting Kazaa because leeches are crippling download speeds) ...even though we&#39;re not trying to get new users and fairer treatment by our ISPs. (with ISP&#39;s daily/monthly bandwidth limits beyond the connection speeds, Kazaa blocking/throttling, and hostile/accusational letters of &#39;copyright violation&#39; with the only proof being that someone else SAID we were -- and we neither get to know who our accusers are nor what evidence they have against us&#33;)

"what ever we diecide to do we ALL have to do it or theres no point in anyone doing anything so whos for cutting them off???"

Not true...
If I cut off 1 fast leecher who&#39;s getting 90+% of my upload bandwidth, that frees up roughly 90 MB/hour for others. Even if I am the only one doing that, I am ensuring that more people who are sharing are rewarded for sharing and more people who are leeching are likewise penalized for leeching.
Over a 1 day period, my small effect may total 2 GB of files that might otherwise have gone to leeches.

It is ONLY by sending files to people who are sharing that there&#39;s ANY chance for the files we were sharing to be available when WE are offline&#33;

"70% of people uploading movies from me arnt sharing and are uploading from me at speeds like 35.00kb/s"

"its time for action not words before things get any worse&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;"

If you want to go a step further, message them, abort them, then block their ip for a couple hours.

ISthisLEGAL.com
05-27-2003, 11:58 PM
I have spent most of today asking people why they arnt sharing and cutting them off on tell they started :rolleyes:

how do we find someones IP so we can block them, i dont want to lower my traffic to stop them re-connecting because that could be stopping fellow sharers from uploading from me.

Switeck
05-28-2003, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by ISthisLEGAL.com@27 May 2003 - 18:58
I have spent most of today asking people why they arnt sharing and cutting them off on tell they started&nbsp; :rolleyes:

how do we find someones IP so we can block them, i dont want to lower my traffic to stop them re-connecting because that could be stopping fellow sharers from uploading from me.
I use TCPview and Peer Guardian to do that.

When I do a search for someone&#39;s shared files, it opens a direct ip link to them -- so I just check TCPview to see what new (and duplicate) ip just appeared. Then I check again when I message them, because that ALSO opens a direct ip link to them. Occassionaly, I have to do the file sharing check multiple times to get their ip AND confirm it didn&#39;t fail to detect their shared files the first time...

Then I copy that ip down with their nickname and often their ISP as well (using resolve ip address ability in TCPview).

Lastly, I plug the ip number into Peer Guardian and let it do the rest.

ISthisLEGAL.com
05-28-2003, 01:11 AM
Thanks&#33;&#33; ;)

sam71
05-28-2003, 04:41 PM
I rarely use kazaa anymore due to too many fakes and lamers. have a nice day.

LINDOREZ
05-28-2003, 04:55 PM
There&#39;s no point trying to block somebodys IP address if their on dial-up because the IP address constantly changes. Infact it sometimes changes if your on broadband as well.

Its a bit of an extream method just to block somebody out. It would be better if everybody required an individual username to use kazaa and then we could just choose to ignore individuals like in messenger programs. I doubt that&#39;s ever going to happen though. :D

Inevitable
05-28-2003, 05:04 PM
Because some are idiots thats why they don&#39;t share, and some others have obvious reasons since Kazaa takes up to many resources and some have slow computers but fast connections.

nostalgia
05-28-2003, 05:12 PM
I totaly agree with the fact that if you&#39;re using a filesharing programm, you should share files (that&#39;s the basic thing isn&#39;t it).
But, once in my life I was a newbee and downloaded KaZaA (not lite) and they were just beginning to introduce the participation level principle. I shared a lot of MP3&#39;s but not a lot of people like the music I like, so after downloading a while my participation level decreased rapidly and at the point you reahc a very low figure, you&#39;re alwasy denied or queud.
So if we want to tackle the problem of leeches, we&#39;ll have to solve this problem as well, because the K-lite users are the minority of the KaZaA world of sharing.
BTW: In the Netherlands every ISP accepts that you download and upload, although some of them restrict downloading e.g 2Gb a month.

loz
05-28-2003, 11:28 PM
So if we want to tackle the problem of leeches, we&#39;ll have to solve this problem as well, because the K-lite users are the minority of the KaZaA world of sharing.
Actually I think there are quite a lot of k-lite users. I would probably estimate that around half maybe slightly less? are using a version of kazaa (and some k-lite versions) that gives high participation level users priority on downloading stuff.
I think the other 50% maybe more are using a version of k-lite that it doesn&#39;t matter what your participation level is or Grokster, fileshare or maybe even an older version of kazaa.

BTW didn&#39;t expect this many responses&#33;

Harvester
05-29-2003, 12:26 AM
here&#39;s a thought. Mabye people with small connections dont share their files, because it takes up more space on their bandwidth of what their downloading. as for myself, with the small connection i have, i share anyways. that is of course if kazaa will connect. *waits for hours*

randm01
05-29-2003, 01:28 AM
yeah keep sharing....

To whom it may concern:

XXXXXX has received letters of demand alleging that through your account
with XXXXXX you are storing media in contravention of the owner&#39;s copyright.

If the allegations made in the emails are correct, your making the material
available for internet access constitutes an infringement of the exclusive
rights of the copyright owner to communicate the work.

The XXXXXX standard terms and conditions provide that it is a breach of your
contract to make available for download on the internet any material which
is the subject of copyright of another person in contravention of the
copyright owner&#39;s exclusive rights. This provision is necessary to protect
XXXXXX which does not approve of use of the internet in a manner which is
contrary to the rights conferred upon a copyright owner under the Copyright
Act.

If you have the consent of the copyright owner to communicate the work
through your internet connection, please immediately email me and the
copyright owner responding appropriately with all relevant details.

If, on the other hand, you do not have the consent of the copyright owner,
you are required to contact the abovenamed whose contact details appear in
the attached to confirm removal of the offending material shared through
your connection and providing undertakings in a form satisfactory to the
copyright owner that you will not in future infringe the copyright or moral
rights in the media.

If I do not receive a satisfactory response to this email within five days,
I will take it that you do not have any consent of the copyright owner to
make the film available on the internet and, regrettably, your internet
service will be suspended without further notice to you. In order to avoid
termination of the service, XXXXXX will need to receive confirmation from
the copyright owner that the situation has been rectified to its
satisfaction.

Yours,

XXXXXX Network Abuse

----- Original Message -----

> We are writing this letter on behalf of Warner Bros. Entertainment Inc.
("Warner Bros.").
>
> We have received information that an individual has utilized the
above-referenced IP address at the noted date and time to offer downloads of
copyrighted motion picture(s) through a "peer-to-peer" service, including
such title(s) as:

> The distribution of unauthorized copies of copyrighted motion pictures
constitutes copyright infringement under the Copyright Act, Title 17 United
States Code Section 106(3). This conduct may also violate the laws of other
countries, international law, and/or treaty obligations.
>
> Since you own this IP address, we request that you immediately do the
following:
>
> 1) Disable access to the individual who has engaged in the conduct
described above; and
> 2) Take appropriate action against the account holder under your Abuse
Policy/Terms of Service Agreement.
>
> On behalf of Warner Bros., owner of the exclusive rights to the
copyrighted material at issue in this notice, we hereby state, that we have
a good faith belief that use of the material in the manner complained of is
not authorized by Warner Bros., its respective agents, or the law.
>
> Also, we hereby state, under penalty of perjury, under the laws of the
State of California and under the laws of the United States, that the
information in this notification is accurate and that we are authorized to
act on behalf of the owner of the exclusive rights being infringed as set
forth in this notification.

IP Port: 1214
> Network: KaZaA
> Protocol: FastTrack
> Username: www.k-lite.tk_Kazaa_Lite@KaZaA

you get the idea......

redemption
05-29-2003, 04:27 PM
my connection is broadband, i generally turn off sharing, download all the files that i want. then put sharing on letting them have the benefit of better bandwith.....but i allways share :D

4year_pro_trader
05-29-2003, 06:09 PM
Hi, I&#39;ve been using kazaa for a good 3 years now (used Bearshare before &#33;&#33;), the last year and a half I&#39;ve had 576/356kb broadband connection. I am now sharing around 50Gb of music, dvd-rips and software. OK-TO THE POINT ;

When I check if someone is sharing I ask them this ;

"Are you new to kazaa"...wait for reply....act accordingly...then if answer is NO

"Are you using a privacy patch"..if they say NO &#33;&#33;&#33;, and No to the first question I note their IP..

.I then do a DOS-NET SEND message to them ..warning them to share or ELSE I will wreck his computer and fu*k his life up &#33;&#33;..this usaully works I guess (but then again I never check up on them)...P.S. that doesn&#39;t mean I wont hack you you scum sucking miserable LEECHERS &#33;&#33;&#33;

I HATE LEECHERS....but I do understand the use of a privacy patch (hey I even use it every now and then when I feel paranoid..lol)

Switeck
05-30-2003, 08:09 AM
Originally posted by LINDOREZ@28 May 2003 - 11:55
There&#39;s no point trying to block somebodys IP address if their on dial-up because the IP address constantly changes.&nbsp; Infact it sometimes changes if your on broadband as well.&nbsp;

Its a bit of an extream method just to block somebody out.&nbsp; It would be better if everybody required an individual username to use kazaa and then we could just choose to ignore individuals like in messenger programs.&nbsp; I doubt that&#39;s ever going to happen though.&nbsp; :DI only block for an hour or 2, so they can TRY to log off and log back on and hunt for me again... but because my KL++ is behind a firewalled router -- they need to get lucky and hit the exact same supernode again... AND hope I don&#39;t see them. :P

I don&#39;t bother dial-up users so much because their download speeds are so pathetic.

I&#39;ve even told one particularly belligerent leech (he cussed me out 3 times in a row for &#39;bugging him&#39; and there was more or less nothing I could do to him because Kazaa would just force a reconnect) what his ip and DNS info was and told him he had <1 minute before I put a denial of service on his ass. (The ip block was the &#39;denial of service&#39;, but I implied it like it was some sort of supercoolfunkyhackershit DoS attack.) :ph34r:

He thought I was going to blast his connection and kick him off the fasttrack/Kazaa network.
I ended up talking him into at least sharing for a short bit. :D

I don&#39;t need any more tools to be/seem evil while using KL++... just a little creativity with what I got. B)

3RA1N1AC
05-30-2003, 10:31 AM
totally easy solution for people who don&#39;t want leeches to DL from them on FastTrack.

if using Kazaa or K-lite:
1. press ALT
2. press F
3. press E
4. leeches are gone&#33;

loz
05-30-2003, 10:46 AM
totally easy solution for people who don&#39;t want leeches to DL from them on FastTrack.

if using Kazaa or K-lite:
1. press ALT
2. press F
3. press E
4. leeches are gone&#33;
:sleeping:

RealitY
05-31-2003, 06:04 AM
QUESTION: What do you call a P2P program where people don&#39;t share
ANSWER: KaZaa

SOLUTION: I am glad that you are trying to save a sinking ship, but why? Is it because of all the great times you had with that whore bitch, KaZaa, well her t**s are starting to sag and her p**s is loose. :lol: :lol:

You can talk, bitch, and moan, but things are getting worse quickly. The solution could have been brought about from Sharman, though I wonder if they even care.

I am just saying l :( :( k around, "the writing is on the wall", and I&#39;m not happy about it at all. I am not interested in waiting a week to get a file while my ul slots are running non stop.

spocko
05-31-2003, 02:04 PM
The great thing about filesharing is not just to download a rare file but to upload it and knowing that in doing this there&#39;s now this one more possibility for others to enjoy what you yourself had such a hard time getting in the first place. I feel sorry for people who don&#39;t have the abilily to feel joy in sharing. Thanks to everyone who shares with me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :D

loz
05-31-2003, 03:24 PM
Couldn&#39;t have said it better :)

immortal_phoenix
05-31-2003, 03:42 PM
well, interesting reading and all valid points (regarding the need to share, 56k users, etc.). :)

here&#39;s an idea to improve the situation- i.e. improving speeds and file availability, maybe it sounds like a bit of twisted logic but how about this:

I&#39;m sure there are people who already do this but anyway... If people on fast connections (broadband, dsl, cable etc.) limit their upload slots to like 2 or 3 then downloaders will have faster speeds and therefore complete the download sooner which means they can start sharing the file sooner. I think this would be a good idea because Kazaa only downloads from complete files, not partials.

Personally, I&#39;m on a 56k. I used to have 3 upload slots and each user downloading off me got a speed of about 0.8 - 1.0 kb/s. Then after a while I thought I&#39;d do a little tweaking and set the upload limit to 1 upload at a time. Then the user downloading off me got around 3 to 3.5 kb/s, which I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll agree is a slightly more practical speed for someone to download at.

So the idea of users limiting the number of concurrent uploads could benefit everyone. Large files like movies could be shared faster since there would be a steady increase in the number of sources, instead of having to wait for groups of people to eventually acquire the complete file after a long while.

Anyway, so what do you guys think about this theory? Am I crazy? :blink:

P.S. just to avoid any misunderstanding, I want to make clear that I&#39;m NOT telling people to stop sharing and I am NOT trying to suggest that people should share less.

Switeck
05-31-2003, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by immortal_phoenix@31 May 2003 - 10:42
I&#39;m sure there are people who already do this but anyway... If people on fast connections (broadband, dsl, cable etc.) limit their upload slots to like 2 or 3 then downloaders will have faster speeds and therefore complete the download sooner which means they can start sharing the file sooner. I think this would be a good idea because Kazaa only downloads from complete files, not partials.

Personally, I&#39;m on a 56k. I used to have 3 upload slots and each user downloading off me got a speed of about 0.8 - 1.0 kb/s. Then after a while I thought I&#39;d do a little tweaking and set the upload limit to 1 upload at a time. Then the user downloading off me got around 3 to 3.5 kb/s, which I&#39;m sure you&#39;ll agree is a slightly more practical speed for someone to download at.

So the idea of users limiting the number of concurrent uploads could benefit everyone. Large files like movies could be shared faster since there would be a steady increase in the number of sources, instead of having to wait for groups of people to eventually acquire the complete file after a long while.

Anyway, so what do you guys think about this theory? Am I crazy? :blink:

P.S. just to avoid any misunderstanding, I want to make clear that I&#39;m NOT telling people to stop sharing and I am NOT trying to suggest that people should share less.
You&#39;re not crazy -- everyone else is... and they&#39;re out to get you too&#33; :lol:

It&#39;s almost sad or amazing that 3 uploads at 0.8-1.0 kb/s doesn&#39;t even add up to 3 kb/s total -- while the 1 by itself could reach 3-3.5 kb/s.

The problem with broadband using only 2-3 max uploads is they get &#39;tied up&#39; with 56k&#39;s downloading from them and end up wasting much of their upload bandwidth while they do. With shared whole CD&#39;s, tv shows, and movies, this is especially bad -- because the bandwidth waste might be 8 hours straight or more. And it&#39;s not just 56k&#39;s that often download at pathetic <1.5 kb/s speeds&#33; I&#39;ve seen numerous cable users and even T-1/T-3 connections which get that speed -- due to their ISP throttling Kazaa and/or due to their Kazaa settings. They often compensate for their slow downloads by setting their max downloads to 30+ -- so it&#39;s not just 1 of your upload slots they&#39;re likely to tie up when they download from you&#33; :o

The problem is SO severe that I state almost the ONLY people who download faster than 5 kb/s are LEECHES. This isn&#39;t true of course, but some days it sure seems so.

And it&#39;s because the default settings of regular Kazaa are (or were) horrid -- with unlimited uploads, unlimited upload bandwidth, AND "optimal bandwidth while idle" (wreck-your-connection-mode) enabled.

But reducing the number of max upload to only 3 max (or 1 for 56k&#39;s) for everyone would reduce the number of sources available if everyone did it. You&#39;d be less likely to get an immediate but very slow download and more likely to end up remotely queued. And it would benefit leeches more, because they could better utilize the extra speeds.

ISthisLEGAL.com
05-31-2003, 06:31 PM
I only have 2 upload slots open so you guys can get my files at around 25.00kb/s each ;)

But in return my downloads are around 2.25kb/s on average :(

and thats if i can find a source to download from.

RealitY
05-31-2003, 07:49 PM
Originally posted by spocko@31 May 2003 - 15:04
The great thing about filesharing is not just to download a rare file but to upload it and knowing that in doing this there&#39;s now this one more possibility for others to enjoy what you yourself had such a hard time getting in the first place. I feel sorry for people who don&#39;t have the abilily to feel joy in sharing. Thanks to everyone who shares with me&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33; :D
Gee, I feel all FUZZY inside. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :D :lol:

Shareef
05-31-2003, 08:15 PM
i cant share for that long because i have a 2 gig upload cap from my isp i usually stop sharing after 3 weeks

loz
05-31-2003, 10:24 PM
At the moment I have 2 upload slots open but usually I have it set at 3 (never have it at more than 4). The only thing is 1 user will get a decent speed (usually around 17-30) while the other uploaders will get bad speeds of around 5 or less. :( Oh well at least you&#39;re getting something.
But I do feel like there is something wrong when a user gets a good speed and when I do a search on them I see nothing, but when I do a seach on the uploaders with a worse speed they are sharing files.
Anyway at least I can actually get good speeds when downloading :) . Although when I am downloading something &#39;rare&#39; it can go at about 2kbps, I had a file last week going at 0.87 with 3 users <<<<WTF.

BTW I&#39;m on k-lite 1.7.2 now.

randm01
06-01-2003, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by loz@31 May 2003 - 23:24
But I do feel like there is something wrong when a user gets a good speed and when I do a search on them I see nothing,
they may have the option selected to not show their shared files....its only a thought...but if ya havent used the newer versions of klite then you wouldnt know about this option...

Battousai 1983
06-01-2003, 09:17 AM
I dont share because I dont feel obligated to. I cancel all downloads and quickly move the files away. The main reason is orginization. Nothing last more than 2 days on my computer I quickly burn everything to DVD-R. Im a media whore I leave my computer on 24/7 and d/l hundreds of files at a time. I have a Program to move them as soon as they are complete. You can hate me all you want and flame me all you want but that still wont change anything. I dont believe in sharing I only take and I have full right to do so.

^_^x

sam71
06-01-2003, 09:35 AM
1. because they are just leacher
2. because paranoid
3. same reason, just a leacher and will always be a leacher.
Amen. :(

ISthisLEGAL.com
06-01-2003, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by Battousai 1983@1 June 2003 - 10:17
I dont share because I dont feel obligated to. I cancel all downloads and quickly move the files away. The main reason is orginization. Nothing last more than 2 days on my computer I quickly burn everything to DVD-R. Im a media whore I leave my computer on 24/7 and d/l hundreds of files at a time. I have a Program to move them as soon as they are complete. You can hate me all you want and flame me all you want but that still wont change anything. I dont believe in sharing I only take and I have full right to do so.

^_^x
You will change your way of thinking when i track your IP down, if you think it cant be traced through this forum, guess again..... :lol: :o :huh: :blink: :(

RealitY
06-01-2003, 11:23 AM
Originally posted by Battousai 1983@1 June 2003 - 10:17

^_^x
RUN BEFORE THEY BEAT YOU SENSELESS&#33;&#33;.

I gotta admit your too funny, you should start a post with that attitude, it would be a nut house...
all though here come the TR :angry: :angry: PS.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

SeK612
06-01-2003, 11:42 AM
I&#39;ve just stopped sharing...Why? because I realised its benificial to me not to share. I&#39;ve been using Kazaa/Kazaalite/K-lite for a while now and I use it to obtain files I want to get. There is nothing more annoying than trying to download something and people jamming up your connection by downloading things from you (even if you limit the download space to just one it still effects it and trying to cancel them just means they reconnect). I used to share everything I downloaded but I&#39;ve gradually closed down my files (starting with the largest and working my way down) until I got fed up and just stopped all of them.

loz
06-01-2003, 12:18 PM
I dont share because I dont feel obligated to. ...I dont believe in sharing I only take and I have full right to do so.
:( You feel no obligation to share.... well maybe I shoudn&#39;t share and maybe I should tell everyone else there is no need to share anything, lets see how long the network will last then, cmon what&#39;s up with you, you only take- how do you think you managed to get the files it wasn&#39;t because of leechers like you.
:( It&#39;s times like this when you think about going to look for a new network...

SeK612 what type of connection do you have?

Tyke
06-01-2003, 12:23 PM
/me yawns

Switeck
06-01-2003, 12:40 PM
And I share because it is beneficial for me to share -- whenever I find a fast upload, I check to see if that person is sharing files *I&#39;m* interested in -- because if so, they have a better-than-average chance of giving me a decent download speed. I let those with similar interests find MY files so I can find theirs.

SeK612 and others, you do realize that if you don&#39;t limit the number of shared files (about 500 max or even fewer popular files) AND limit the upload bandwidth (unlimited speed and unlimited number is for unlimited connections -- I haven&#39;t seen many) you can EXPECT slowdowns. But if you do put in reasonable limits KL++ can share and you&#39;ll never see an appreciable difference unless you&#39;re on a slower 56k.

Ad
06-01-2003, 12:48 PM
I
dont share because I dont feel obligated to. I cancel all downloads and quickly move the files away. The main reason is orginization. Nothing last more than 2 days on my computer I quickly burn everything to DVD-R. Im a media whore I leave my computer on 24/7 and d/l hundreds of files at a time. I have a Program to move them as soon as they are complete. You can hate me all you want and flame me all you want but that still wont change anything. I dont believe in sharing I only take and I have full right to do so.

x

ok lets all do what u do and take ur advice hmmmm..... how many files would u then be able to dl...... ill tell ya 0

You will change your way of thinking when i track your IP down, if you think it cant be traced through this forum, guess again.....&nbsp;

Good Luck :lol: :lol:

bestoutof2
06-01-2003, 01:07 PM
i share but what i whont to know why share i mean we have kazaa lite our participation level stays at 1000 why share i donot know why i share but i am going to stop may be i donot know pm me tell me why i have to share if it is good i will still share

Ad
06-01-2003, 01:13 PM
i share but what i whont to know why share i mesn we have kazaa lite our participation level stays at 1000 why share i donot know why i share but i am going to stop may be i donot know pm tell me why i have to share if it is good i will still share and donot give me non of that talking about kazaa lite is nothing with out chareing non of that

wtf :huh: :huh:

who taught u english???? :P

bestoutof2
06-01-2003, 01:40 PM
sorry i type to fast

OcramC
06-01-2003, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by loz@31 May 2003 - 22:24
BTW I&#39;m on k-lite 1.7.2 now.
why??

Ad
06-01-2003, 02:04 PM
:flame: :flame: :spam: :spam: :lol: :P :D :P :lol:

SeK612
06-01-2003, 03:56 PM
SeK612 what type of connection do you have?

I have a 56K connection (and always have). I&#39;ve tried limiting the download speed but people still manage to get high speeds of me. Its just annoying when your on Kazaa to get a file, which takes ages as it is, and you cannot stop people from downloading from you (and extending your download time by hours) without removing popular files from your list.

I wouldn&#39;t say I&#39;m a leecher. I&#39;m happy to let people download things from me so long as its not at the same time I&#39;m downloading something (which is all the time I have Kazaa running :) )

loz
06-01-2003, 04:02 PM
I wouldn&#39;t say I&#39;m a leecher. I&#39;m happy to let people download things from me so long as its not at the same time I&#39;m downloading something (which is all the time I have Kazaa running&nbsp; )
:lol:

I&#39;m on 1.7.2 because I like it better than the new versions :)

spocko
06-01-2003, 09:00 PM
I don&#39;t get it&#33; It seems like some people has no life and use all their time staring at Kazaa. I work all day, come home turn on Kazaa observe that some people are uploading and I am if I&#39;m lucky downloading, I have the privacy patch so some people might choose not to share with me even though in reality I share quite a lot. There are so many interresting things you can spend your time doing, Kazaa should not be your whole life, I mean I&#39;m surprised at the time and effort people use investigating if people are sharing or not. Face it, someone who behaves as battousai 1983 you can only feel sorry for I&#39;m sure he has the same problem as the tinman from the wizzard of Oz&#33;

:D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: :D :rolleyes: ;)

Shareef
06-01-2003, 11:27 PM
Originally posted by adthomp@1 June 2003 - 14:13

i share but what i whont to know why share i mesn we have kazaa lite our participation level stays at 1000 why share i donot know why i share but i am going to stop may be i donot know pm tell me why i have to share if it is good i will still share and donot give me non of that talking about kazaa lite is nothing with out chareing non of that

wtf :huh: :huh:

who taught u english???? :P
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

RealitY
06-02-2003, 03:18 AM
Originally posted by SeK612@1 June 2003 - 12:42
I&#39;ve just stopped sharing...Why? because I realised its benificial to me not to share. I&#39;ve been using Kazaa/Kazaalite/K-lite for a while now and I use it to obtain files I want to get. There is nothing more annoying than trying to download something and people jamming up your connection by downloading things from you (even if you limit the download space to just one it still effects it and trying to cancel them just means they reconnect). I used to share everything I downloaded but I&#39;ve gradually closed down my files (starting with the largest and working my way down) until I got fed up and just stopped all of them.
I TOLD YOU SO...
They&#39;re coming out of the closet now.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Ad
06-02-2003, 03:57 AM
I bet u didnt share ur candy too all u leeches :lol: :lol:

N£MO
06-02-2003, 04:10 AM
You leechers should be shot at dawn&#33;&#33; :D