PDA

View Full Version : My Pet Hate

J'Pol
05-23-2003, 10:54 PM
This has annoyed me for years. I think of this post as a catharsis.

I hate it when people open a hardback book, bend the spine until the two covers touch each other and break the spine of the book.

It annoys me when it is done with paperbacks, but when it is done with a hardback it really gets me deep down.

I don't know why this is but I just find it very difficult to watch. In fact the sound it makes is even worse.

Sorry about that, but I feel better now.

WeeMouse
05-23-2003, 10:57 PM
let that fraustration out JPAul!!!

Recently, i gave my brother my 1st edition Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban to read...and he decided to read it while eating his dinner....those two don't mix well...

J'Pol
05-23-2003, 11:01 PM
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

We have the first edition hardback as well. I would be loath to let a fool read it, never mind while dining.

As you say the two don't mix.

thegroggman
05-23-2003, 11:08 PM
I hate it when people open a hardback book, bend the spine until the two covers touch each other and break the spine of the book.
Yeah I agree with that. A broken spine just looks bad on hardback books. But on Paperbacks I dont know...I think the creased spine gives them character. It shows how much people have enjoyed the book...but thats just my opinion :)

Curley
05-23-2003, 11:25 PM
I find it annoying when people bend pages over at the top, instead of using a bookmark.

Lazy sods <_<

thegroggman
05-23-2003, 11:36 PM
Oh now thats my pet peeve. I mean come on people...you can use just about anything for a bookmark (if you&#39;re too checp to dish out 2 bucks for one)...but instead they bend the pages...now that unlike a creased spine...that just makes the book look bad. Oh and btw I dont bend the pages but Im also to lazy to use a bookmark...I just remember the page :D

J'Pol
05-23-2003, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by Curley@24 May 2003 - 00:25
I find it annoying when people bend pages over at the top, instead of using a bookmark.

Lazy sods <_<
Good point, well made.

We call them Dog Ears.

How lazy can you get. Put anything in the page, or as the chap says - remember the page.

MagicNakor
05-24-2003, 03:37 AM
Both of those annoy me. ;) But also when someone takes the cover of a paperback and rolls it backward, in order to read the book one-handed. You see a lot of that on the bus/airplane...

:ninja:

tracydani
05-24-2003, 08:02 AM
Those things get me too. But only with hardbacks. I don&#39;t care about the paperbacks as much because I usually get them second hand and they are most likely 4th 5th or 6th hand.

The next on my list is people who write in books. Underlining text or circling whole passages. Even those cryptic noes they write in the margins. That really annoys me and most definately distracts from the story.

Oh yeah, and don&#39;t forget about the people who re-sale books that are missing about 10 pages in the middle <_<

Ad
05-24-2003, 10:07 AM

It annoys me when it is done with paperbacks, but when it is done with a hardback it really gets me deep down.

I don&#39;t know why this is but I just find it very difficult to watch. In fact the sound it makes is even worse.

yes agree pain in the ass

imported_QuietSilence!
05-24-2003, 10:07 AM
or even worse 10 page at the end&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

dont care if they bend a paper back as long as it isnt so bad that pages start to fall out

but its sucks when they do it to a hard back

ToraBoraDweller
05-24-2003, 04:45 PM
Have you noticed how unhygienic lbrarybooks can be :nuke: ?
I,d rather see ppl steal books than damage or dirty them &#33; ;)

tianup
05-24-2003, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by JPaul@23 May 2003 - 23:54

I don&#39;t know why this is but I just find it very difficult to watch. In fact the sound it makes is even worse.

ggrrrrrrr...I hate that. It&#39;s such a stupid and disrespectful thing to do. It&#39;s even worse, though, when it&#39;s one of your favorites that you&#39;ve read many times and taken excellent care of for years, and someone picks it up and does that, ruining your book in the two seconds you&#39;re not looking. I&#39;m seething just thinking about it....

Curley
05-24-2003, 08:55 PM
Originally posted by ToraBoraDweller@24 May 2003 - 17:45
Have you noticed how unhygienic lbrarybooks can be :nuke: ?
I,d rather see ppl steal books than damage or dirty them &#33; ;)
Last time I borrowed a library book was about 6 years ago and some pages inside looked as though they had been wiped with a baby&#39;s bottom&#33; I&#39;ve bought them or borrowed them from people I know ever since.

Its sick how people have no repsect for public property :angry:

Guillaume
05-25-2003, 01:23 AM
Yes ,these people should be shot in the head&#33; :angry:
I&#39;ve seen some nasty stuff with library books, some of them look like people have been using ham for bookmarks&#33;

thegroggman
05-25-2003, 02:06 AM
I always noticed how bad books in library were treated...but...a few years ago...I found a book...that had yellow stains and the middle hundred or so pages were wet...after that I never went back again.

J'Pol
05-25-2003, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Gurahl@25 May 2003 - 02:23
Yes ,these people should be shot in the head&#33; :angry:
I&#39;ve seen some nasty stuff with library books, some of them look like people have been using ham for bookmarks&#33;
lol

A picture in words.

botts
05-26-2003, 12:36 PM
hmmmm....library books???? why would i borrow something that someone has wiped their kid&#39;s bum with, or bookmarked with a ham (i love that image LOL hahahahaha) when i can go out and buy it (or download it) and then its mine, i can read it whenever i want and i don&#39;t have to put up with those cranky bloody librarians to boot....cos i know that they&#39;re gonna blame me for the baby crap and the ham abd they&#39;ll probably say i dogeared the bloody pages and wrote in the margins with a f&#33;@#&#036;%n crayon&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;&#33;

GOD I HATE LIBRARIES :angry::angry::angry:

btw thanx for starting this thread i really needed to get that off my chest...

botts

Guillaume
05-26-2003, 12:44 PM
Well, I don&#39;t particularly like libraries ( the book you want is ALWAYs borrowed 5 minutes before you came, too much people in here, and so on...) but you have to remember that books are so f***ing expensive and e-books so hard to find on Kazaa&#33; I mean , I&#39;ve finally finished downloading a e-book after waiting 2 weeks before finding 1 source&#33;&#33;&#33;

J'Pol
05-26-2003, 05:52 PM
I still find the ham bookmark image funny.

I had forgotten it and had another wee laugh when I came back here.