PDA

View Full Version : Free Newsgroups?

clos
02-12-2007, 03:06 PM
Does anyone have any recommendations for some free newsgroups I could look at?

geen
02-12-2007, 05:22 PM
There is no such thing as a free newsgroup provider. Its either a verry limited service or a trial service.

easynews.nl for example is free to try at the moment:

news.easynews.nl (port 119)
login : [email protected]
password : beta

8 connections 20Mbit

Travisbickle
02-12-2007, 08:28 PM
Try GigaNews trail for 3 days' see how it's goes

Skiz
02-12-2007, 08:29 PM
Try GigaNews trail for 3 days' see how it's goes

1GB limit.

They don't tell you that until you sign up. I tried about 2 weeks ago.

sickest
02-13-2007, 11:28 AM

midco.net internet service around here has free newsgroups. :cool:

geen
02-13-2007, 03:58 PM

midco.net internet service around here has free newsgroups. :cool:

Which is only useable for midco costumers ...

zedstrange
03-04-2007, 02:24 PM

yes, but if i told you, then you would hammer it, then you would tell all your freinds, and they would hammer it, then my lovely free news server would be shut down.

webe123
03-05-2007, 03:08 AM

yes, but if i told you, then you would hammer it, then you would tell all your freinds, and they would hammer it, then my lovely free news server would be shut down.

Or you could be a LIAR...which I would bet the farm on.

MultiForce
03-05-2007, 02:12 PM

Or you could be a LIAR...which I would bet the farm on.

I want a farm if it comes with a couple of cowgirls :P

delimare
03-06-2007, 03:15 AM
Honestly... nothing is worth getting if it's free.

"But, I got this free couch from my Grandma." You did? Your grandma either died or she decided to get the 50 year old piece of shit couch out of her house that is soaked with cat piss and 50 years of rotting farts and 2 generations of baby vomit.

I just had to make an example...

zot
03-06-2007, 05:22 PM
Yottanews also offers a free (trial) newsgroup service, including binary groups. You just need to do a quick registration to set it up (no credit card or other info needed) and you can then download up to 1GB per IP address.

The biggest problem is that the speed is extremely slow (256kbits) and the retention is only about 2 or 3 weeks. But you can't beat the price. :)

http://www.yottanews.com:8080/freeaccount.php

GINZY
03-08-2007, 11:33 AM
free only gives you bulk.If you can download what you need with Free acc, why they sell premium ? i think it's only for small files

jetje
03-14-2007, 07:01 AM
There is no such thing as a free newsgroup provider. Its either a verry limited service or a trial service.

easynews.nl for example is free to try at the moment:

news.easynews.nl (port 119)
login : [email protected]
password : beta

8 connections 20Mbit

this one still works great, no limits, great speeds an free! retention is up to 50 days now. It's still running free cause they keep testing their services. Don't know how long it will last. but if your looking for great speeds try it! :)

reewnd
03-23-2007, 08:06 PM
The news server geen posted, does not work anymore.. The beta trial or something is over, noone who knows any other servers?

apvm
03-24-2007, 04:17 PM
it does work but on and off so only good for additional server but not as main

Windy72
03-24-2007, 08:08 PM
The news server geen posted, does not work anymore.. The beta trial or something is over, noone who knows any other servers?

Try googling the server you maybe surprised. Easynews NL still works for me ;)

Montego
03-29-2007, 01:20 PM

Hmmm how to go from :frusty: to :w00t: ???

This has probably been said before and also a well known fact but what the heck I found it helpfull before I knew of newsgroups and all that goes along with it. Depending on your isp you might already have news servers included in your package.

BT for example has one news.btinternet.com and a list of news servers for each provider can be found . . . . . . here (http://www.usenettools.net/ISP.htm).

I use the BT one here in UK and get max speed of 118Kbps which is probably most I'll get out of a shared 1MB Broadband connection anyway. Saddddddly I'll be heading back to South Africa soon so I'm getting all I can While I can. Back home in SA Broadband is virtually nonexistent unless you are fortunate enough to be one of the elites to be able to afford a descent connection. I'll probebaly will be stuck with 56Kbs Dialup. :cry:

So if anybody know differently please please let me know. If you kow any fairly priced fairly descent connection in SA, Shout!!

Good luck to all and happy DL'ing! :01:

Asuran
03-29-2007, 02:56 PM
easynews.nl still works IF you were quick enough to create a personal beta account when it was still open. The previous public beta does not work, nor can you create a new personal account anymore.

Windy72
03-29-2007, 05:48 PM
easynews.nl still works IF you were quick enough to create a personal beta account when it was still open. The previous public beta does not work, nor can you create a new personal account anymore.

I am one of the lucky ones I guess.

Asuran
03-29-2007, 05:58 PM
Likewise. :) In their forum they said that they took 7000 users into this personal accounts test phase.

webe123
04-01-2007, 02:01 AM
Likewise. :) In their forum they said that they took 7000 users into this personal accounts test phase.

So to recap....there ARE no FREE newsgroup providers! That is why people pay.

erdniZ
04-01-2007, 03:26 AM
Im getting free from my ISP good speed and 100day retention

webe123
04-02-2007, 07:32 PM

That is your ISP provider and you are one of the lucky few....there are NO FREE newsgroup providers outside an ISP...that was my point.

sm00nie
04-02-2007, 08:29 PM

If it's from your ISP, your not getting it free. The monthly (or whatever your contract payment plan is) fee you pay goes towards providing newsgroup access to you.

There will never be free fast, high retention news servers until a huge overhaul occurs that will limit costs (internet2 full distribution maybe ? :P). Easynews is as good as it gets until the beta trial expires. I'm using Usenetserver and it isn't a bad choice either for $15 USD a month.

Peacefulness32
04-07-2007, 12:22 AM
I just got in and I am still having problems.. I have not idea what to do... files I get with my newsbin program are incomplete and scatered

webe123
04-07-2007, 04:09 AM
I just got in and I am still having problems.. I have not idea what to do... files I get with my newsbin program are incomplete and scatered

What newshosting provider are you using? Newshosting? Giganews? your own ISP newsserver? etc.

Does your newshosting provider have a help forum?

If at all possible, find out if your newshosting provider has a customer service representative you can contact.

If not you may want to give more detailed info here.

obvious
04-08-2007, 03:59 PM
I wonder if it's worth looking into open proxies so that you can appear to be connecting from any of a number of ISPs that offer free NG access ;)

sm00nie
04-08-2007, 06:52 PM
I wonder if it's worth looking into open proxies so that you can appear to be connecting from any of a number of ISPs that offer free NG access ;)

lots of isp's have login/passwords now.. but I'm sure there are a few that are open to "local" ip's. A friend of mine used our school's isp to access newsgroups at home, but unfortunately not long after they started enforcing logins :cry:.

bugmenot7
04-11-2007, 10:05 AM
newsbot has a list google searc for it

TaeKwonDo
04-26-2007, 11:09 PM
news.task.gda.pl
yellow.octanews.net
news3.telebyte.nl

i use these 3 free servers with 3 connections on each, plus my isp connection, and i must say, good speeds all round with about 20 days retention..........not too bad really;)

dokro
05-05-2007, 11:58 AM
news.task.gda.pl
yellow.octanews.net
news3.telebyte.nl

i use these 3 free servers with 3 connections on each, plus my isp connection, and i must say, good speeds all round with about 20 days retention..........not too bad really;)

It doesn't work for me...

MultiForce
05-05-2007, 12:51 PM

Whitch ISP?

kiosk
05-14-2007, 04:05 PM

try https://www.usenet.net/signup/?account=USENET-10GB-FREE

10Gb download limit, 10 connections, 70 days binary retention.

just use false details, no credit card needed.

webe123
05-14-2007, 05:23 PM

try https://www.usenet.net/signup/?account=USENET-10GB-FREE

10Gb download limit, 10 connections, 70 days binary retention.

just use false details, no credit card needed.

That is ONLY a 30 day TRIAL....it is not permenant. I think the poster was asking if there were any permenant free news hosting servers...the answer to that other than an ISP server is no.

kiosk
05-14-2007, 05:35 PM
possibly, but the I could look at may mean he just wants to see which is best and if you signup every 30 days it is permanent. Just use a different email address each time.

MediaSlayer
05-14-2007, 11:28 PM
those ones that taekwondoe posted weren't working for me either.

haydeno
05-15-2007, 04:56 AM
high five on usenet 10gb

webe123
05-15-2007, 04:59 AM
possibly, but the I could look at may mean he just wants to see which is best and if you signup every 30 days it is permanent. Just use a different email address each time.

Well if you want to go through the process of re- enrolling every thirty days while they have it on ,then yeah,you could use that. BUT the free button says "limited time only"...so that could mean that they can pull the plug on it anytime.

But it is not bad for 10 gigs with 10 connections...at least as long as it lasts....

Windy72
05-15-2007, 09:57 PM

Well if you want to go through the process of re- enrolling every thirty days while they have it on ,then yeah,you could use that. BUT the free button says "limited time only"...so that could mean that they can pull the plug on it anytime.

But it is not bad for 10 gigs with 10 connections...at least as long as it lasts....

I have just finished my 2 weeks free with Hitnews. I tried signing up with a different e mail address and they knew I had signed up before. I guess by IP. So does anyone know if resigning with usenet.net works if you use a different e mail address.

Thanks by the way for the link. 10 free Gig is not to be sniffed at.

MediaSlayer
05-16-2007, 07:55 AM
windy why dont' u chain (http://gaamoa.deny.de/) a couple of anonymous proxies together when u do stuff like that, then go and sign up.

because now, it looks like they may not let you, they've seen your true ip address. if they care, they won't let you.

haydeno
05-17-2007, 12:25 AM
if u have dsl just rebott the modem

Windy72
05-17-2007, 08:54 PM
windy why dont' u chain (http://gaamoa.deny.de/) a couple of anonymous proxies together when u do stuff like that, then go and sign up.

because now, it looks like they may not let you, they've seen your true ip address. if they care, they won't let you.

Thanks I have used a proxy on signup and it worked a treat.:01:

MediaSlayer
05-18-2007, 01:48 AM
np windy ;)