PDA

View Full Version : Hackers discover HD DVD and Blu-ray "processing key"

lightshow
02-13-2007, 08:10 PM
http://img45.imageshack.us/img45/370/downwithdrmpb0.jpgHackers discover HD DVD and Blu-ray "processing key" -- all HD titles now exposed

Those cooky kids over at the Doom9 forums hate themselves some DRM. Not more than two months after discovering a means to extract the HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc "volume keys" to decrypt AACS DRM on individual films, we're now getting word that DRM hacker arnezami has found the "processing key" used to decrypt the DRM on all HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc films.

Let's break this down for what it is: instead of needing individual keys for each and every high-definition film -- of which there are many -- the processing key can be used to unlock, decrypt, and backup every HD DVD and Blu-ray Disc film released so far.

As arnezami points out, "nothing was actually hacked, cracked or even reverse engineered." All he had to do was keep an eye on his memory, watch what changed, and voila... the processing key appeared. So kick back and watch the trickle of HD titles hitting the torrents quickly turn into a flood (at ~20GB a pop, that's not an exaggeration) when the BackupHDDVD and BackupBluray utilities (or AnyDVD HD) are updated to reflect the new hack find.

:source: Source: http://transportation.engadget.com/2007/02/13/hackers-discover-hd-dvd-and-blu-ray-processing-key-all-hd-t/

ziggyjuarez
02-13-2007, 11:10 PM
Nice.All we need to do is wait for Internet connections to catch up.

backlash
02-13-2007, 11:50 PM
wow. I'm impressed.

iNSOMNiA
02-14-2007, 04:06 AM
Nice.All we need to do is wait for Internet connections to catch up.
The connections are avaible and cheap..but the HDD can't catch up.

nebcat
02-14-2007, 06:22 AM
I've heard about this about a couple years back; bunch of my friends from Japan told me that they already swap game collections with this method. Blu-ray, pretty old tech, but still kick alots-o-ass!

Crazy Man
02-15-2007, 03:51 AM
wow , good news :D

kklord
02-15-2007, 06:39 PM
Downloading ~20gig files would still be a pain. And blank hddvd/bluray is going to be expensive as hell.

007craft
02-15-2007, 10:55 PM
if you get a good torrent site, you can download 20GB in 6-10 hours on crappy internet connection (by crappy I mean 5-7 mbps). I already spend sometimes 7 days downloading a standard dvd off slow torrent sites, so this is not bad at all. And once Im able to upgrade to a 15+ mb connection in the future, it will go even faster.

kklord
02-17-2007, 01:41 AM
Lol, I have a 3mbps line. :lol:
I wish I could afford 5-7 mbps

kabloomz
02-17-2007, 04:04 PM
if you get a good torrent site, you can download 20GB in 6-10 hours on crappy internet connection (by crappy I mean 5-7 mbps). I already spend sometimes 7 days downloading a standard dvd off slow torrent sites, so this is not bad at all. And once Im able to upgrade to a 15+ mb connection in the future, it will go even faster.

damn canadians... faster speeds whut next....

lolz u have 12 post in 3 years averaging 4 post a year... thats a nice record :D

durex
02-19-2007, 09:24 AM
I'm impressed. Excellent news

Beck38
02-20-2007, 10:48 PM
Downloading ~20gig files would still be a pain. And blank hddvd/bluray is going to be expensive as hell.

The 'interesting part' is going to be the slope of the prices once the demand ramps up; $20/ea for blank write-once single layer BluRay is now the norm, but I've seen hints that a per/ea price of $4 is will within fast possibility.

The burners are dropping as well, the Pioneer SW-5582 is down around $750 (it's brother the BDR-101AS is $100 more) but they were originally at the $1500+ range just a handfull of months ago. The players have to get cheap(er) as well.

So, what is the price level got to be before the burners and the blanks to feed them got to be before it becomes 'mainstream'. Everybody has their 'price point', but I'd say $350 for the burners (that's when DVD burners really started to take off circa 2001), and media at the $2-4 ea. Also, decrypting is only the first step s/w wise, basic tools such as DVDRemake need to be upgraded as well to strip out the slime, and reauthor the disk structure. Then what about dual-layer HD discs....

As to the transfer into either newsgroups or P2P, speeds are increasing (particularly upstream), slowly but surely. The 'gold standard' of home connections being Verizon's FIOS, where upstream is at 5Mb/s and higher. Of course, that's still a crawl next to commercial connections, but the downstream is as fast as 50Mb/s. The 20GB file will stream to you in about 56 minutes. If my arithmetic is right.

Okay, just go to sleep for another year, and all these things will be solved, right?

SkitzAnimator
02-21-2007, 03:39 AM
HD is a pain for memory, but it's cool what they found out.

vipdiablo
02-23-2007, 07:39 AM
niceeeeee