PDA

View Full Version : Stop lying

Cerise
02-15-2007, 09:32 PM
When you offer something to your wife, or your children, do you want something in return?
I don't think so.

Why shouldn't we start using actually real meaning of words?
When I see all those posts who offer an account or an invite, but for something else.. I think that is total bullshit :happy:

shutdk
02-15-2007, 09:35 PM
--------

roccofor
02-15-2007, 09:36 PM
if you dont want to lie give me sct
:P
i think we dont want in return for family because they have also what we have.

StriderZ
02-15-2007, 09:38 PM
When you offer something to your wife, or your children, do you want something in return?
I don't think so.

Why shouldn't we start using actually real meaning of words?
When I see all those posts who offer an account or an invite, but for something else.. I think that is total bullshit :happy:

Am I the only one who doesn't understand what is being said? :unsure:

sert
02-15-2007, 09:43 PM
I guess he means that its not correct to ask for somth in return and you have to give invites for free, like a present to your wife

Itachi_Avenger
02-15-2007, 09:47 PM
i only give invites for free.

gamer4eva
02-15-2007, 09:47 PM
When i say invite is for a friend i really mean it....

TYPE R
02-15-2007, 09:48 PM
ture m8

Niteghost
02-15-2007, 09:51 PM
Well, "Trading" brings Out the worst in Ppl, including myself, the 2 most powerful instincts ' FEAR and GREED. It's my honest opinion.

Panther
02-15-2007, 10:13 PM
this thread is confusing...

TorrentJunky
02-15-2007, 10:43 PM
I'm lost in this thread!

Shadowfire
02-15-2007, 11:08 PM
Yeah ... can people explain to us what you're talking about? Family, scat, invites, friend? (Relation ... ?)

bunny67
02-15-2007, 11:12 PM
another smackhead?

StriderZ
Haha ok good to see I'm not the only one confused :-P

walczanin
:blink:

raspberry1331
02-15-2007, 11:21 PM
this is how is see it: Cindez thinks that when you offer something, it means you dont want anything in return, so he suggests that you should not use the word offer when you want to trade, rather be straigtforward.

i think he is not right, because offer can be used for selling something. in fact offer means the following (for cindez: see 3.b):

1. To present for acceptance or rejection; proffer: offered me a drink.
a. To put forward for consideration; propose: offer an opinion.
b. To present in order to meet a need or satisfy a requirement: offered new statistics in order to facilitate the decision-making process.
a. To make available; afford: The situation offers us the opportunity to learn more.
b. To present for sale.
c. To provide; furnish: a hotel that offers conference facilities.
4. To propose as payment; bid.
5. To present as an act of worship: offer up prayers.
6. To exhibit readiness or desire (to do something); volunteer: offered to carry the packages.
7. To put up; mount: partisans who offered strong resistance to the invaders.
8. To threaten: offered to leave without them if they didn't hurry.
9. To produce or introduce on the stage: The repertory group is offering two new plays this season.
v.intr.
1. To present an offering in worship or devotion.
2. To make an offer or proposal, especially of marriage.
3. To present itself: "This plan was dropped, because of its risk, and because a better offered" T.E. Lawrence.
n.
1. The act of offering: an offer of assistance.
2. Something, such as a suggestion, proposal, bid, or recommendation, that is offered.
3. Law A proposal that if accepted constitutes a legally binding contract.
4. The condition of being offered, especially for sale: thousands of bushels of wheat on offer.
a. An attempt; a try.
b. A show of intention.

Vercors
02-15-2007, 11:33 PM
Indeed, Cindez meant that it sounds quite hypocritical to say "I'm offering this" while you actually want something back.

I guess the problem is the french definition of "offer" is slightly different from the english one : in France it would mean making a present, and not presenting for sale (using raspberry's example)

In fact I was having the same feelings about this because I still had in mind that french word, but now I got it good ;)

Cerise
02-15-2007, 11:35 PM
Thank you to explain that raspberry :geptard:
All right.. an offer can be something you present for sale... :blink: Fair enough !
Consequently we should ban the offer name :D That is the answer !! :01:

edit : my english is so bad I admit ! Maybe you've got the word of the end Vercors ^^

StriderZ
02-15-2007, 11:57 PM
Haha good clarification... I was about to say that there are a lot of "offers" that ask for something in return... ex. job offers, initial public offerings, sales ($999 O.B.O - Or Best Offer)

DefX
02-16-2007, 12:01 AM
Ban the word "offer"?

Everybody here understands that the word "offer" means trade. I mean if enough people are confused by this, then maybe you have a point. But i doubt it.

Besides, if people really wants to give something for free, they'd use the word "give/free".

SkullForce
02-16-2007, 12:14 AM
Why should i be the father
If the mods decided to create a new section with your idea i will always play the role of the child. :hypocrite

ticcco11
02-16-2007, 02:49 AM
nice thread and i noticed that some people are addicted to torrent sites and doesn't want to help any new members.some have many accounts on nice trackers and others have nothing.

TheFoX
02-16-2007, 02:57 AM
Cindez has a valid point...

If I offer my arm to a young lady, do I want something in return? I probably do, but I am not going to come right out with it there and then.

Play on words has a way of making something more desirable...

I have a car, which I bought from new, that is now two years old. How do I market this car?

Low mileage second hand BMW.

or...

Pre-owned low mileage BMW.

The right choice of words not only makes the sale more desirable, but with regards to invite trading, will probably help us keep a clear conscience when abusing site rules, or our own morale code.

Even the subject of copyright theft uses phrasing to suit the purpose. The MPAA and RIAA call us pirates who steal billions in lost revenue, and faciliate the mass theft of intellectual property, while we address the same issue in the guise of 'The right to preview', or 'Try before you buy'...

Let's put the phrasing down to personal preference. Some will offer, while others will trade. It all amounts to the same thing, except the choice of wording.

mike7778
02-16-2007, 05:49 AM
i been trying to get a oink invite still haven't got one. I wish someone would give me one for free. He's right people should give out invites free with out asking for something in return. if they have it to give.

bunny67
02-16-2007, 10:53 AM
i been trying to get a oink invite still haven't got one. I wish someone would give me one for free. He's right people should give out invites free with out asking for something in return. if they have it to give.
many people do just that ,i have and everything i have has been given to me was free not a trade .i no longer am looking for anything but will still use this site to give out stuff for free when i have

asafisraeli123
02-16-2007, 11:20 AM
Okay...you Can Start By Giving Me Sct

WhoopDeDoo
02-16-2007, 11:39 AM
many people do just that ,i have and everything i have has been given to me was free not a trade .i no longer am looking for anything but will still use this site to give out stuff for free when i have

Probably because you publicize the fact that you're a girl so much. Of course guys over the internet are going to give you everything free. :shifty:

chaptorrent
02-16-2007, 12:23 PM
loooooooooool invites for free...lol

bunny67
02-16-2007, 01:29 PM

Probably because you publicize the fact that you're a girl so much. Of course guys over the internet are going to give you everything free. :shifty:and so says you with your pink sig or maybe your just a fag?:lol: :P. its got sod all to do with being a girl as you say like i have said i give my invites free lowe level in threads higher ive dne in pms,1 more point im a WOMAN not a girl

DefX
02-16-2007, 01:36 PM
Probably because you publicize the fact that you're a girl so much. Of course guys over the internet are going to give you everything free. :shifty:

That has to be one of the dumbest generalizations i've ever heard. I know bunny67 is a girl but i've never had the urge to give her anything for free just because she's a woman. If i give her anything for free, its because she's an asset in this community. duh.

bunny67
02-16-2007, 01:53 PM
thank you DefianceX

mags23
02-16-2007, 02:42 PM
Here we go again!

How many threads are going to regress to someone complaining about Shamong getting stuff because she's a woman?

You're a dude Shamong, I know it. You just love the attention!

bunny67
02-16-2007, 03:10 PM
you have to laugh at em though