PDA

View Full Version : Why Can't I Get Rid Of Msn Messenger?

dingoBaby
05-24-2003, 04:20 PM
Using XP Pro and I am trying to stop msn messenger from starting when I open outlook express. I disabled it from outlook/tools and from messenger/options and it still pops up in the sys tray when I open outlook. Any suggestions?

balamm
05-24-2003, 04:27 PM
Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

Curley
05-24-2003, 04:36 PM
Edit: I didn't read you post properly :rolleyes:

McGee
05-24-2003, 07:32 PM
Control Panel -> Add Remove Programs -> Add/Remove Windows Components -> Remove the check mark next to Windows Messenger.

Cl1mh4224rd
05-24-2003, 07:38 PM
Heh. I went looking for a method of completely removing MSN Messenger last night, since it kept popping up even after I uninstalled it. I disabled the option in OE and it never loaded when I started OE, so I don't know what your problem is there. I'm also using XP Pro.

Anyway, here's what I found to completely remove Messenger:

If you prefer to remove Windows Messenger manually, click Start, Run and enter the following command:

RunDll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\msmsgs.inf,BLC.Remove

Note: This will cause a long delay when opening Outlook Express if you have the Contacts pane enabled.  To prevent this, click Start, Run and enter REGEDIT. Go to:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Outlook Express

Right click in the right pane and select New, DWORD value. Give it the name "Hide Messenger". Double click this new entry and set the value to 2.
I got an error when I did the Start->Run command (Windows couldn't unregistered something), but when I was finished, I rebooted and didn't get any weird errors or messages.

tommy1987
05-24-2003, 09:09 PM
Why Can't I Get Rid Of Msn Messenger?

...because its MS!

Ynhockey
05-24-2003, 09:32 PM
First do what McGee said, then go to Run > type 'msconfig' then go to Startup and uncheck any items that have 'msnmsg', 'messenger', etc.

Also, uninstall MSN Messenger (if you have it - not to be confused with Windows Messenger).

employed
05-25-2003, 03:43 AM
Originally posted by dingoBaby@24 May 2003 - 17:20
Using XP Pro and I am trying to stop msn messenger from starting when I open outlook express. I disabled it from outlook/tools and from messenger/options and it still pops up in the sys tray when I open outlook. Any suggestions?
Click tools on your outlook, then option, then other then uncheck msn. done

dingoBaby
05-25-2003, 04:16 AM
Thanks for all the suggestions. I eventually remembered that I used Tweak XP pro to get rid of it. No more MSN messenger!!!

WARSUPPORT
05-25-2003, 10:43 AM
B) You can download the program System Mechanic it has a windows start up function,which lets you easily enable or disable windows start up features.It will stop MSN from loading for sure!