PDA

View Full Version : SATA hard drive partition disappeared?

99shassan
02-16-2007, 12:46 PM
Hi, I bought a SATA hard drive a few days ago. However, I noticed this morning that the partition (L:) had disappeared from my computer. I know the hard drive is still there because Active SMART detects it as OK, and Acronis Easy migrate, the software I used to add the partition sees it and shows it as logical space (not unallocated).

Whats happened? I think yesterday in the security settings when I was sharing a folder in that partition I might have actually removed "Everyone" group from the NTFS settings, but I'm sure I added Administrator in there instead.

Can anyone help?

tesco
02-17-2007, 01:15 AM
right click my computer->manage->disk management.
See what partitions it shows next to your new drive.
If it just says the full amount of space as allocated then create a partition and see if it sticks.

Not sure why, if it was created, it would disappear. :blink:

Was there any data in it?

99shassan
02-17-2007, 03:23 PM
yeah there was about 33gb of space on it. I copied it over from my main drive to save space. two days later, partition gone :@

I did that and it shows the space allocated. Its a logical drive. I tried assigning a letter to it but gives me an error: The operation did not complete because the partition/volume is not enabled. Please reboot the computer to enable the partition/volume.

I did that but it doesn't fix it. I used something called partition table doctor. It apparently tried to fix my partition, but it seems like it did nothing. So I'm thinking of trying to find a software that will backup what was on the partition back to my main drive and then work on restoring it.

kabloomz
02-17-2007, 03:40 PM
use partition magic and acronis disk suites

99shassan
02-17-2007, 04:13 PM
When I try to load disk suites. it gives me sector errors. I can't check the partition either. The partition types say its "FS:None Partition: 0x7 (NTFS,HPFS)"

Does this make sense to anyone?

delimare
02-18-2007, 07:48 PM
Hiren's Boot CD has a whole army of tools for fixing problems such as this, too.