PDA

View Full Version : Windows Vista/Office 2007

Peerzy
02-16-2007, 05:56 PM
Right, finally decided to upgrade to Vista/Office 07. I've just let my PC run it's course for the past few years and everything is getting far to slow and cluttered up for me. So i'm gonna go with an entire format and install of an OS, save me doing this with XP now and moving onto Vista later I can do it all at once.

First off, which version of Vista is 'working'. People seem to be able to get Microsoft.Windows.Vista.Final-BillGates to work, anyone had any experiences with it or with another copy? Note that I don't need a CD key as i work at a store that sells copies so i'm going to just take a CD key from a copy at work.

I would also like the Premiem/Best version, are all the ISO's the same and the CD key is all that determins which version you install?

Next up is the latest Office. Again which version is everyone using, is there two different versions (XP version and Vista one or is it all the same), is the activation of the software hard?

Any other thoughts people may have on the subject or tips are welcome.

Cheers.

cool skill
02-16-2007, 06:44 PM
I don't think all the ISO's are the same. Get Vista Ultimate. 64 or 32 depending on what you are using.

I have a few questions.
Vista Ultimate is on the way using: "Windows Vista Ultimate x64 Retail DVD" from Bittorrent.

Is there any advice anybody can give us about installing/configuring Vista or Office 2007? As well as compatability issues.
Are there any good guides in here about those?

tesco
02-17-2007, 03:48 PM
The ISOs ARE all the same, except for 32bit/64bit
The cd key is the only thing that changes what version gets installed, as you said.

cool skill
02-17-2007, 03:55 PM
No kidding.
So the only difference between the actual hard copies are whether or not they are 32 or 64?
Other than that, you can install any version of Vista from any Vista DVD be entering the particular key for the particlar version?

peat moss
02-17-2007, 04:07 PM
Another option is to hold of on Vista and just download one of the XP slipstream DVD 's like Indego which has all the sp2 patches from Dec, 06 and over 180 programs to install with keys or generators . Has an option to pick programs at setup no XP key required .

Virtualbody1234
02-17-2007, 06:50 PM
No kidding.
So the only difference between the actual hard copies are whether or not they are 32 or 64?
Other than that, you can install any version of Vista from any Vista DVD be entering the particular key for the particlar version?

Yeah. I'm not too sure about the x64 version but I have checked out the 32bit. You can install any version from the same DVD. You can even install without a key and you can select the version you want. You can then use it for 30 days without activation.

Skiz
02-17-2007, 06:56 PM
I would stick with a previous version of Office for sure. Right now I have 2007 and I hate it. They completely changed the look.

I would highly recommend previewing it first on Office.com

Peerzy
02-17-2007, 07:27 PM
Right was at work today and although all the DVD details are on the box the installation cd key is inside and the box is sealed so I decided against robbing it.

Anyone have any idea of what I need to do once I have installed Vista?

ahmed84h
02-17-2007, 08:15 PM
Vista Ultimate version is the best version of Windows Vista but it needs a very good performance to run quickly on ur computer
Processor 3G cash 2 MB
VGA Card 128 MB
Ram 2 G
and the other component is not important

Virtualbody1234
02-17-2007, 08:55 PM
First off, which version of Vista is 'working'. People seem to be able to get Microsoft.Windows.Vista.Final-BillGates to work, anyone had any experiences with it or with another copy? Note that I don't need a CD key as i work at a store that sells copies so i'm going to just take a CD key from a copy at work.

Does it bother anyone else that Peerzy is willing to steal a key from a copy in a store he works in?

What bothers me most about that is that some unsuspecting person who buys it will most likely end up with problems activating their paid for Vista. :angry:

mr. nails
02-17-2007, 09:30 PM
what is the best version of office 2007? do u have to have matching office to vista progs? ie: vista enterprise/office enterprise? or can u have something like vista ultimate/office enterprise? are there differences between said names? office enterprise and office ultimate are the same somehow?

edit: i remember prob like 6 months ago i had a copy of office 07, but i never installed it. just didn't. anyway, gave that copy to a friend and he did install it. he said he liked it, but after like a month or something it stopped working. i believe he even uninstalled it and tried office xp or 2003 again and those didn't work either. either way, office 2007 just quit working. does this still happen? is there a work around to this? why did that happen? same as the 30 day trial of vista thing?

cool skill
02-17-2007, 10:16 PM

Does it bother anyone else that Peerzy is willing to steal a key from a copy in a store he works in?

What bothers me most about that is that some unsuspecting person who buys it will most likely end up with problems activating their paid for Vista. :angry:
Will they have probs?
Like if you know somebody else that has XP, and you use their key, won't both of you work just fine if it is a legit key?

Virtualbody1234
02-18-2007, 01:00 AM

Will they have probs?
Like if you know somebody else that has XP, and you use their key, won't both of you work just fine if it is a legit key?
Yes they'll have problems.

The activation system identifies the specific machine and the licence agreement limits the use to that one machine.

Same with XP.

peat moss
02-18-2007, 02:22 AM

Does nt seem fair to hurt some poor soul does it , as it only takes three or 4 key strokes to find a working version on the net .

Peerzy
02-18-2007, 03:23 PM

Indeed, I did realise after a while that taking the key would stop someone from using a copied they have paid for, another reason why I didn't take the key in the end. So instead I downloaded Timerstop.exe which you run when you've installed Vista to stop the timer ever hitting 0 days and deactivating my copy.

Either way it all went tits up.

Went to install, formatted and selected the partition, it copied files then got to the part where it said Expanding(Might have been Unpacking, can't remember) Files and just got stuck on 0% there and nothing happened. With the DVD in one of my drives it popped up with an error after a few minutes but in my other drive it just stayed on that screen forever.

This means I've had to reinstall XP just to get access back to the internet. The ISO i downloaded works for other people, which is worrying as the ISO extracted from the RAR files perfectly. This means unless Nero burnt it wrong (how often does this really happen? Hardly ever) then there is something wrong with either both of my drives, my type of DVD media or the HDD.

Virtualbody1234
02-18-2007, 05:27 PM

Indeed, I did realise after a while that taking the key would stop someone from using a copied they have paid for, another reason why I didn't take the key in the end. So instead I downloaded Timerstop.exe which you run when you've installed Vista to stop the timer ever hitting 0 days and deactivating my copy.

Went to install, formatted and selected the partition, it copied files then got to the part where it said Expanding(Might have been Unpacking, can't remember) Files and just got stuck on 0% there and nothing happened. With the DVD in one of my drives it popped up with an error after a few minutes but in my other drive it just stayed on that screen forever.

This means I've had to reinstall XP just to get access back to the internet. The ISO i downloaded works for other people, which is worrying as the ISO extracted from the RAR files perfectly. This means unless Nero burnt it wrong (how often does this really happen? Hardly ever) then there is something wrong with either both of my drives, my type of DVD media or the HDD.
Or your computer doesn't like Vista. :P

Peerzy
02-18-2007, 06:48 PM

Or your computer doesn't like Vista. :P

I think my computer might be a racist, how as a parent do I approach this situation :unsure:

Virtualbody1234
02-18-2007, 07:10 PM
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/products/windowsvista/buyorupgrade/upgradeadvisor.mspx

adriand
02-18-2007, 08:03 PM
why dont you use stop the clock method works fine with the buisness edition

Peerzy
02-18-2007, 09:30 PM

Possibly because I can't quite install it yet :huh:

tem
02-21-2007, 12:40 AM
so what is this method ?