PDA

View Full Version : Stop People Copying My Site

TRshady
05-24-2003, 09:17 PM
how do I stop people being able to right-click and copy my sites content? (similar to the k-lite homepage).

Anyone know? ................... please?

tommy1987
05-24-2003, 09:19 PM
there is no point if people want ur content that bad then they will find ways of copying it anyway.

Ynhockey
05-24-2003, 09:29 PM
If you just wanna disable right-clicking then you do:

<body onrightclick="alert(&#39;You cannot right-click, sorry&#33;&#39;);">

or... something like that, i can&#39;t remember now (that is, whether it goes into the body tag or not). However, people can always click view > source. If you wanna prevent that too... use ASP. But you&#39;ll have to learn it first and then find a server that supports it :P

Kokanee
05-24-2003, 09:38 PM
Check this out ----&#62;Stop Right Click&#33; (http://www.dynamicdrive.com/dynamicindex9/noright3.htm)

TRshady
05-24-2003, 09:46 PM
wow, thank you very much to all who have replied.

I don&#39;t really mind if people were to copy as none of the content is &#39;mine&#39; but having a right click copy disabled would be perfect or some sort of barrier which would make it harder. so thank you and keep &#39;em tips coming. :)

ooo
05-24-2003, 09:50 PM
LOL stopping right click... haha... i did that with a couple of my being pages but now i got way too many pages to stop right click... takes too much time writing it in every single page

TRshady
05-24-2003, 10:03 PM
lol, I&#39;m just doing it to my comedy page as people could easily copy the whole page and it takes a while putting that list together. It&#39;s done now. The other sections I might do another time.

ooo
05-24-2003, 10:05 PM
ah icic... did i remind u to put a disclaimer on ur rom site... since roms are illegal...

thatz prob since u didnt read my flooble chat :P i respond in my flooble chat frequently :P

TRshady
05-24-2003, 10:11 PM
oh yeah, just saw it now. *Me goes get one off emumaniacs.com*. Thanks.

ooo
05-24-2003, 10:12 PM
heh icic no problem... :P

Evil Fish
05-24-2003, 10:16 PM
if i wanted to copy the whole page i could just highlight everything and hit ctrl + C and i would have it. hahahahaha

ooo
05-24-2003, 10:17 PM
umm therez a script that allows no right click or highlighting...

n therez also one that allows no saving....

u need all three to really protect your site...

TRshady
05-24-2003, 10:20 PM
lol, I&#39;m not after FBI protection.

Just having some sort of defense is enough. I wouldn&#39;t care if anyone does copy, but would prefere it if people don&#39;t. Also, it&#39;s more likely a noob who would copy and they probably wouldn&#39;t the shortcuts anyway.

ijc_2003
05-25-2003, 12:39 AM
tr shady if you want to protect your site you should check this out, this is what dredwerkz use and it disables all functions on the web page. right hand click of the mouse and so on.
the only way they can view your site is with the anti leech plugin.
http://www.anti-leech.com/

ooo
05-25-2003, 12:44 AM
nice contribution i love it :P...

true... by saving the webpage u can get hte source

edit >> arg it takes too long after i sign up... i gotta redo every link if i want it to work by adding in a code... i got too much links to change not gonna bother...

[B][O][T]
05-25-2003, 12:47 AM
If someone want the source from Your site They&#39;ll get it no matter how many Javascripts You add.

BOT

TRshady
05-25-2003, 07:32 AM
Originally posted by [B][O][T]@25 May 2003 - 00:47
If someone want the source from Your site They&#39;ll get it no matter how many Javascripts You add.

BOT
I&#39;ve already said, none of the content is &#39;mine&#39; so if it was copied it wouldn&#39;t be the end of the world but if I can do little things to try and prevent it, its better then leaving it the way it is.

I mean if someones gonna go to long extents just to copy from my site then, they deserve it, lol.

spudlover
05-25-2003, 10:22 AM
Originally posted by TRshady+25 May 2003 - 07:32--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (TRshady @ 25 May 2003 - 07:32)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--[O][T]@25 May 2003 - 00:47

BOT
I&#39;ve already said, none of the content is &#39;mine&#39; so if it was copied it wouldn&#39;t be the end of the world but if I can do little things to try and prevent it, its better then leaving it the way it is.

I mean if someones gonna go to long extents just to copy from my site then, they deserve it, lol. [/quote]
So, you copied it from somewhere else, yet you don&#39;t want people to copy from you? :blink:

MetroStars
05-25-2003, 03:14 PM
whats the point in having the script no right click it is pointless - all you have to do is turn java scripting off or put your mosue cursor over the image and drag it to yourt desk top - very poitless pice of scripting ---

if you want to stop peole taking your iamges put the name of the site in the backround of your images it&#39;s easly done - as for stealing yor coding put little markers in the coding - markers that only you knew about

Storm
05-25-2003, 04:21 PM
id say "the host, owner or any other party that contributed to this site" instead of "I" in the ROM-Disclaimer..........

TRshady
05-25-2003, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by spudlover@25 May 2003 - 10:22
So, you copied it from somewhere else, yet you don&#39;
So, you copied it from somewhere else, yet you don&#39;t want people to copy from you? :blink:

No, I collected my jokes from various places and some remembered myself and that took a while plus putting them all together and anyone could now just copy my page layout add it to theirs easily.

By saying "it ain&#39;t mine", I mean I wasn&#39;t the person who invented those jokes so if they we&#39;re copied it wouldn&#39;t effect me but I just wouldn&#39;t want people just to copy my whole page and use it on theirs.

SETI_CruncherXy
05-27-2003, 06:13 PM
since every webpage i visit is stored on machine as a temporary internet file...
i can view source code and/or use dreamweaver or front page to edit its content...
there is no secure way to keep ppl from stealing content from your entire webshell directory...
your entire site can be downloaded with one click with certain software including all of your links and graphics...
sorry.. all you can do is make it more difficult for ppl to get what they want..

TRshady
05-27-2003, 06:25 PM
Originally posted by SETI_CruncherXy@27 May 2003 - 18:13
all you can do is make it more difficult for ppl to get what they want..
yes, thats it. Thats what I was trying to say and what I want to do.

XghostriderX
05-27-2003, 06:26 PM
Just disabling the right-click is not enough to prevent poeple from copying the content of ur pages.
I&#39;m also one of the poeple how copies scripts from other poeples pages :P . Al I have to do is choose view at explorer menu> source and voilá :blink: .

there are also some programs that can decrypt( copy,rip,download,steal..... whatever you call it) the whole page and all the files stored on the server that hosts that page.

So it is not really easy to protect your page from some smart pc-nurd, but I guess that disabling right-click is more than enought to stop normal ppl from stealing your pages. :lol: :lol:

Yés found it Shady you should read this:

red = interesting Part

There are many ways to defeat java-script protected websites. Some are very simplistic, such as hitting

[ctl-alt-del ]when the password box is displayed, to simply turning offjava capability, which will dump you into the default page.You can try manually searching for other directories, by typing the directory name into the url address box of your browser, ie: you want access to www.target.com .&nbsp;

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; Try typing www.target.com/images .(almost ever y web site has an images directory) This will put you into the images directory,and give you a text list of all the images located there. Often, the title of an image will give you a clue to the name of another directory. ie: in&nbsp; &nbsp; www.target.com/images,&nbsp; &nbsp; there is a .gif named gamestitle.gif . There is a good chance then, that there is a &#39;games&#39; directory on the site,so you would then type in&nbsp; &nbsp; www.target.com/games,&nbsp; and if it isa valid directory, you again get a text listing of all the files available there.

&nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; &nbsp; For a more automated approach, use a program like WEB SNAKE from anawave, or Web Wacker. These programs will create a mirror image of an entire web site, showing all director ies,or even mirror a complete server. They are indispensable for locating hidden files and directories.What do you do if you can&#39;t get past an opening "PasswordRequired" box? . First do an WHOIS Lookup for the site. In our example, www.target.com . We find it&#39;s hosted by www.host.com at 100.100.100. 1.

&nbsp; &nbsp; We then go to 100.100.100.1, and then launch &#092;Web Snake, and mirror the entire server. Set Web Snake to NOT download anything over about 20K. (not many HTML pages are bigger than this) This speeds things up some, and keeps you from getting a lot of files and images you don&#39;t care about. This can take a long time, so consider running it right before bed time. Once you have an image of the entire server, you look through the directories listed, and find&nbsp; /target.&nbsp; When we open that directory, we find its contents, and all of its sub-directories listed. Let&#39;s say we find&nbsp; &nbsp; /target/games/zip/zipindex.html .&nbsp; This would be the index page that would be displayed had you gone through the password procedure, and allowed it to redirect you here.By simply typing in the url&nbsp; &nbsp; www.target.com/games/zip/zipindex.html&nbsp; you will be onthe index page and ready to follow the links for downloading.

ooo
05-27-2003, 10:40 PM
lolz i like that imma try it...

but then again there are programz that scramble the script up :) what then...

>> no i cant find hte program :/

globegate
05-28-2003, 01:52 AM
Instead of getting paranoid about people copying your content, you should authorize the use of it and make a name for yourself in the process. Check out Creative Commons (http://www.creativecommons.org/) for how to do this.

ooo
05-28-2003, 02:02 AM
u give alot of nice sites...

i shoulda used a web template in one of your other thread posts...

XghostriderX
05-28-2003, 05:22 PM
Hi soul184&#33;
You said you could&#39;t find the progem, have you tried this:
http://www.homeuniverse.com/ws.tutorial.htm
I never used the progam myself, cuz all I need from other site is just thier cool scripts.