recently
This error just suddenly appeared

Ways I have attempted to solve this:
-Restart (duh)
-Reinstall tcp/ip protocol for my network adapter
-Windows troubleshooter
-Scan for viruses with latest definitions from norton

Stuff I found out:
-My Ip address and subnet mask changed from what it usually is.
-I dont have a default gateway
-My Aston shell messed up b4 i had these problems.
-The error message wasn't found in the Windows help archive of error messages
-Each time i got this error, it wasnt recorded in Computer management> Event Viewer>System.

Anybody noe what's wrong? Can anybody help me?

Any help wud be much appreciated. :D

WeeMouse
05-24-2003, 10:55 PM
Kick it! :lol:

I'll ask Lamsey tomorrow what he thinks cos he knows about stuff!

Got_brains?
05-24-2003, 10:58 PM
Try experts-exchange.com/ (http://www.experts-exchange.com/).

Register then post your problem with 75pts.

Usually it will get answered in 1-2 days.

Z
05-24-2003, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by WeeMouse@24 May 2003 - 17:55
Kick it! :lol:

I'll ask Lamsey tomorrow what he thinks cos he knows about stuff!
yeah kicking used to work for my old shitmachine. then it started making loud noises, so i kicked it some more. eventually i got a new computer! off-topic, i know. :D

dlingeverything
05-24-2003, 11:05 PM
forgot to mention I DID kick it lol :lol:

Didn't work :(

smellmycomputer
05-24-2003, 11:12 PM
have you used an add removing program recently, adaware to be specific? this did this to my system. had to reformat the HD

dlingeverything
05-24-2003, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by smellmycomputer@25 May 2003 - 00:12
have you used an add removing program recently, adaware to be specific? this did this to my system. had to reformat the HD
hmmm i did hapen to use adaware recently.

However, I tried restoring all the things that it quarantined
then restarted. It didnt work

balamm
05-25-2003, 03:33 AM
Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

dlingeverything
05-25-2003, 02:21 PM
thanks balamn i will try that

When i said i reinstalled tcp/ip protocol i meant:
Control panel > Net/dialup connections> properties of my network connection > uninstall tcp/ip protocol > restart> insntall tcp/ip protocol

dlingeverything
05-25-2003, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by balamm@25 May 2003 - 04:33
I assume you used add/remove windows components in control panel - add/remove programs to uninstall, then reinstall networking?  If you haven't yet, run command prompt and c:>ipconfig /all  -    c:>ipconfig /flushdns  -    c:>ipconfig /renew  . Run a full checkdisk as well when ipconfig is done.  c:>chkdsk /x /f /r  or just  c:>chkdsk /r  to recover any bad sectors.
i got this error when trying to renew:

The following occurred when renewing adapter : An operaton was attempted on something that is not a socket.

What is this?

balamm
05-25-2003, 06:12 PM
Duties are not performed for duty's sake, but because their neglect would make the man uncomfortable. A man performs but one duty - the duty of contenting his spirit, the duty of making himself agreeable to himself.
Mark Twain

dlingeverything
05-26-2003, 02:14 PM
Originally posted by balamm@25 May 2003 - 19:12
That error could also be because the repair operation isn't completed yet. You've flushed DNS, removed the old config, and released all. Now you need to repair the original problem that stopped the network( possibly by re-installing the network protocol) and then try renew again. Make sure you don't have any firewalls loaded and that they aren't set to block all access when they aren't loaded.
I dont have socketlock on my comp.

You say that i have to:
-flush dns (c:\>ipconfig /flushdns)
-remove old config (how do i do this?)
-release all (is this: c:\>ipconfig /release?)
-re-installing network protocol (how do i do this?)

Thanks in advance for any help

RGX
05-26-2003, 03:26 PM
My step brother (21) manged to physically punch the front casing off of his pc, was so funny, hes a 6 foot 5 hard bastard lol

dlingeverything
05-26-2003, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by RGX@26 May 2003 - 16:26
My step brother (21) manged to physically punch the front casing off of his pc, was so funny, hes a 6 foot 5 hard bastard lol
lol :lol: :lol: :lol:

dlingeverything
05-27-2003, 07:50 PM
plz anyone else out there who can help?

It says that i dont have tcp/ip installed when i do!
Is this a hacking issue? Virus issue? or something i did wrong?
i'm getting desperate and rly frustrated with no internet on my home computer.

aintgottime
05-27-2003, 08:14 PM
I'll have ago but I might bot be able to help. First who is your broadband supplier? How do you connect your modem to the pc?

Manny Calavera
05-27-2003, 08:15 PM
sorry if too basic

goto start - control panel - system and click the hardware tab then click device manager and any hardware conflicts will show up there

also goto internet properties - connections to check that your connection is set to default

dlingeverything
05-27-2003, 08:22 PM
Originally posted by aintgottime@27 May 2003 - 21:14
I'll have ago but I might bot be able to help. First who is your broadband supplier? How do you connect your modem to the pc?
AT&T. I have a network adapter which connect to my home LAN.

I really dont think this is a problem with the internet i get from AT&T. I believe
this is more of a computer problem

dlingeverything
05-27-2003, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Manny Calavera@27 May 2003 - 21:15
sorry if too basic

goto start - control panel - system and click the hardware tab then click device manager and any hardware conflicts will show up there

also goto internet properties - connections to check that your connection is set to default
no hardware conflicts and it automatically detects connection.

Manny Calavera
05-27-2003, 09:22 PM
Sorry even more basic

Restart holding down F8 then goto last known good configuration. Try system restore

Had a similar prob so i installed sp1 and i think it reinstalled or reset sumfing and sorted it :)

like i say sorry if i sound dumb

aintgottime
05-27-2003, 10:38 PM
Heres my tip. Remove the PCI Network Card. Place it into a different PCI slot. Then start up the computer, and then just set it up as if you had only just recieved it.

dlingeverything
05-28-2003, 08:22 PM
thanks i'll try that

aintgottime
05-28-2003, 11:35 PM
Did that work for you? Would be nice to know if my knowledge is any good!

dlingeverything
05-31-2003, 03:11 PM
I dont use a PCI card to connect to network.

I use my USB ports to use my usb adapter.

I'm pretty desperate now.

the only thing i can think of that will fix it for sure is to reformat HD
and reinstall everything. I will have to lose all my dl's sinnce i
dont have anything to backup my stuff with.
I really dont feel like tryin this b/c i havent reformated my HD b4

Any other suggestions?

dlingeverything
06-01-2003, 11:58 PM
no other suggestions?

Livy
06-02-2003, 12:05 AM
try updating the drivers for the usb adapter if it has any?

dlingeverything
06-02-2003, 12:27 AM
I tried reinstalling the adapter and that didnt work.

i cant connect to the internet so i really cant get new
driver updates for my adapter.

shn
06-02-2003, 02:41 AM
Norton products suck.

balamm
06-02-2003, 05:23 AM
Mark Twain

balamm
06-02-2003, 05:35 AM
Mark Twain

dlingeverything
06-02-2003, 03:47 PM
Originally posted by balamm@2 June 2003 - 06:35
You didn't happen to disable some services in administrative or msconfig did you?
You mentioned the mobile services error message.
You can check to make sure it's enabled if you look at the bottom of the list in services in control panel/administrative tools/services .
I suppose it's possible this protocol is needed for USB adaptors but I haven't come across any problems like this before.
Is DHCP and RPC enabled? Remote access manager and remote procedure call locater? Try enabling any disabled services one at a time and restart each time to see if it works. Is your usb powering up from BIOS before the OS tries to configure network settings or is it totally dependant on the OS starting first?
If it doesn't power up till after the mouse does then you may not be getting auto DHCP. I remember reading about this quite a while ago but I don't recall the outcome. You could try Bios to make sure onboard USB is enabled though.
I dont think i disabled any services but i will check

I believe the mobile properties error is due to the fact that i have a pocket pc
and a usb connector used for transfering files from comp to pocket pc. Microsoft
activesync startsup with windows and cant startup now since tcp/ip is messed up

Dhcp is always on.

So what i am thinking is that tcp/ip is used for both my usb adapter and my pocketpc
usb connector. The fault is not on my adapter but the fact that tcp/ip
is not located on my computer.
Where on my comp is the TCP/IP protocol data located? I might have to reinstall the component
where it is located.

I think my usb adapter powers up with computer b/c it shows LED power indicator
when i turn on power to comp.

Oh and more about the weird socket error. I found under system errors under management that
"Iprip" could not create a socket for the IP (the different one than usually assigned)
assigned to my comp.

balamm
06-02-2003, 09:36 PM
Most of the tcp/ip files are in windows/system32 but they won't be packaged as a protocol, once installed the files are stored where they're needed, in different parts of the system.

I don't see an option to re install or remove the protocol in add/remove but I'm guessing there must be a command line or batch command that would do it.
You can use the windows disk to do a repair but once the service packs are in it'll just see everything as being "incorrect version of system files" and try to roll them back, making a complete mess.

This link talks about it and shows the reg keys, but doesn't say how to do it>>
http://www.hpworld.com/pubcontent/enterpri...09winnt_2k.html (http://www.hpworld.com/pubcontent/enterprise/may01/09winnt_2k.html)

I would guess if you open the network and dial up connections folder in control panel, right click on the adapter you want to repair, go to properties, TCP/IP and click on uninstall/re-install, It should ask for the win2k disk if it can't find the files on the drive. Maybe just delete that connection and choose to create a new one and see what the wizzard comes up with. You might have to manually configure the USB connection according to the specs from the manufacturer of the adapter if win2k doesn't recognize usb as a lan connection.