PDA

View Full Version : Giganews vs Usenetserver

maupassant
02-18-2007, 08:22 PM
I'm currently a Giganews user, and am considering making a switch to Usenetserver because it's much cheaper.

However, I noticed a big difference in the number of groups carried by each provider.

Giganews claims they provide access to over 110 000 newsgroups. The true count I got after updating my list was 106 343 newsgroups.

However, Usenetserver says they carry over 68 000 groups.

Judging by the numbers only, it does seem a significative difference.

But is it ? I'm asking you. Anyone lost access to a favorite newsgroup by going from Giganews to Usenetserver ?

kklord
02-18-2007, 10:05 PM
Ive been using usenetserver and I dont have any missing groups. They carry all the well-known groups. I think the ones that arnt included are the small groups that you probably will never visit. Usenetserver is indeed cheaper and I definetly recommend it. If you want, you can try the $3 for 3 days and see if they have all the groups that you use. If they are missing a favorite group of yours, you can always email them and see if you can start listing it.

phatback
02-18-2007, 11:05 PM
Well i have used giganews for 2 monthsi canceled a month ago tho :X and i am thinking about going back as well i checked usenetserver but giganews seems to beet it in the amount of content :)

QstorM
02-18-2007, 11:54 PM
I have Usenet and its owns. Cheaper/has all the top groups I need (dvd, hd, xvid, tv, tvhd) And a whole lot of others I haven't tried. I always max out my dl speed, plus it offers free 256 bit SSL. 90 days retent, unlimited dl's. what else can you ask for?

webe123
02-19-2007, 10:08 PM
Well i have used giganews for 2 monthsi canceled a month ago tho :X and i am thinking about going back as well i checked usenetserver but giganews seems to beet it in the amount of content :)

That is why I am sticking with Giganews.....people on here can say what they want.

I don't care....I get great service and speed from Giganews and that is all I care about.

Diamonds4Ever
02-19-2007, 10:12 PM
idk wats giganews

is it still the same as usenet (a newsgroup server?)

MultiForce
02-19-2007, 10:25 PM

That is why I am sticking with Giganews.....people on here can say what they want.

I don't care....I get great service and speed from Giganews and that is all I care about.

Nice to hear :D

MultiForce
02-19-2007, 10:26 PM
idk wats giganews

is it still the same as usenet (a newsgroup server?)

A usenet provider, just like Usenetserver and all the others.

WHRST
02-19-2007, 10:51 PM
I am new to uneset, i will probably go with giganews

MultiForce
02-19-2007, 11:13 PM
I am new to uneset, i will probably go with giganews

You can sign up for a trial account on Giganews if you want. It's max 1GB but at least you can try before you buy :)

NRGFreak
02-20-2007, 01:19 AM
I personally been using newshosting for about 3 years (had down in 3 years for maybe 1 day if even that). Dont know much about usenetsevers but I heard Giganews releases what you have downloaded if ISP requests while newshosting does not (dont know about usenetservers). This information is quite dated so I dont know if this is currently the same... Hope it helps :)

delimare
02-20-2007, 01:55 AM
It all depends on what you're looking for. If you download mainly scene release material than usenetserver will quench your thirst as it carries all the major groups and then some. I've never NOT found anything I was looking for on usenetserver, and if I can't find it I use torrents. Combine all your P2P and file downloading techniques into one and you can find almost anything

MultiForce
02-20-2007, 07:08 AM
I personally been using newshosting for about 3 years (had down in 3 years for maybe 1 day if even that). Dont know much about usenetsevers but I heard Giganews releases what you have downloaded if ISP requests while newshosting does not (dont know about usenetservers). This information is quite dated so I dont know if this is currently the same... Hope it helps :)

Giganews does not. Read their FAQ. They do not log anything either except what is needed to tell you how much you download etc.

sych0
02-21-2007, 03:47 AM
giganews ftw. I've been a customer since nov of 2002. Sure, I wish they were a bit cheaper, but eh. 100 days, great speeds, great completion, ssl... I love em

webe123
02-24-2007, 02:29 AM
giganews ftw. I've been a customer since nov of 2002. Sure, I wish they were a bit cheaper, but eh. 100 days, great speeds, great completion, ssl... I love em

I agree....I could go cheaper, but Giganews gives me everything I need and then some!

thegman24
02-24-2007, 08:24 AM
I would have to say that Giganews is better, although it is pricey!! But, jeez, that's capitolism for you!! You pay for what you get...

stephenchow
02-27-2007, 08:03 AM
Recently I CAN download catch_me_if_you_can 10 days old age posted by poster [email protected] in a.b.dvd9 with GigaNews, but CANNOT with Usenetserver:cry:?
Why?
http://img237.imageshack.us/img237/2163/ng22df9.png

rodawg01
02-27-2007, 08:18 AM
Giganews in my opinion is the best pay newsserver out there in terms of speed retention and completion plus the sheer amount of available newsgroups they have.

stephen-UNS
02-27-2007, 04:37 PM
Recently I CAN download catch_me_if_you_can 10 days old age posted by poster [email protected] in a.b.dvd9 with GigaNews, but CANNOT with Usenetserver:cry:?
Why?

That post was posted using a program call dvdnordic poster. This program creates non-RFC compliant headers that our servers reject. Since we have not been able to get any response from the author of this program and apparently the users don't seem to want to switch we are forced to make our news server software non-RFC compliant. At this time we are still rejecting these types of posts but will have a work around in the future. I do not have a time frame because many levels of our software will reject these posts; peering servers, backends, frontends....

-Stephen

maupassant
02-28-2007, 03:43 AM
Hey Stephen, how about a comment on my initial post (110 000 newsgroups with Giganews compared to 68 000 newsgroups with Usenetserver) ? Is 68 000 still fairly accurate ? If so, do you plan to catch up ?

router2004
02-28-2007, 06:07 AM
I would go with UNS and save extra $10 per month for somthing else.

asfdlq3i45poi
02-28-2007, 07:20 AM
I would go with UNS and save extra $10 per month for somthing else.

It's an extra $15/month with SSL, which UNS throws in for free. :cool: And wait till UNS completes phase 3 of its expansion -- then the winner will become obvious. :yup:

stephen-UNS
02-28-2007, 07:51 PM
Hey Stephen, how about a comment on my initial post (110 000 newsgroups with Giganews compared to 68 000 newsgroups with Usenetserver) ? Is 68 000 still fairly accurate ? If so, do you plan to catch up ?

The difference is empty groups. If there is a group you want to see that we don't have we will be happy to add it. There are only about 30k groups that are actually used, the rest are junk...

-Stephen

kayvanblue
02-28-2007, 09:28 PM
i am useing Usenetserver and i should say it is awsome because it is awsome

kklord
03-01-2007, 06:06 AM

The difference is empty groups. If there is a group you want to see that we don't have we will be happy to add it. There are only about 30k groups that are actually used, the rest are junk...

-Stephen
Hey Stephen, On UsernetServer's status page ( http://www.usenetserver.com/networkstatus.html ) the group alt.binaries.dvd only has 17 days retention. Do you know why is that? Is it a bug or something? And does it affect other groups?

maupassant
03-01-2007, 10:54 AM

-Stephen

Thanks for the reply. I may switch to usenetserver before the end of the month, unless Giganews responds by cutting down on their price. Which I suspect they won't. They'll just increase the retention again (once Usenetserver has 101 days).

stephen-UNS
03-01-2007, 04:15 PM
Hey Stephen, On UsernetServer's status page ( http://www.usenetserver.com/networkstatus.html ) the group alt.binaries.dvd only has 17 days retention. Do you know why is that? Is it a bug or something? And does it affect other groups?

Check out this thread in the Slyck.com forums:

http://www.slyck.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=30993

-Stephen