PDA

View Full Version : Internet Brower

Livy
05-25-2003, 01:08 AM
hi peeps, just a little help here, just wondering what is the best brower out there.
my ie has given up the ghost, and i cant reinstall in, and cant be bothered reinstalling windows the now.
im currently using mozilla, but is there anything better out there...

Somebody1234
05-25-2003, 02:38 AM
http://www.google.ca/search?q=browser&ie=U...F-8&hl=en&meta= (http://www.google.ca/search?q=browser&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&hl=en&meta=)

Bender
05-25-2003, 02:48 AM
Opera is the best for me, and a lot faster than IE.

http://www.opera.com/

dingoBaby
05-25-2003, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Bender@24 May 2003 - 22:48
Opera is the best for me, and a lot faster than IE.

http://www.opera.com/
I agree with Bender. Opera is the best. It even has built in pop up blocking.

tommy1987
05-25-2003, 07:10 AM
opera for speed but internet explorer for general compatibility on websites.

Ynhockey
05-25-2003, 07:50 AM
Opera for speed, as everyone said,
and NetCaptor for general compatibility (an IE mod). I just can't stand IE it totally sucks, doesn't even have Tabbed browsing.

ricky
05-25-2003, 09:38 AM
1. Internet Explorer (Most Compatible with websites)
2. Opera (Very Fast)

spudlover
05-25-2003, 10:24 AM
Mozilla Firebird (http://www.mozilla.org/projects/firebird/release-notes.html).

IMHO, better than IE, Opera, MyIE2 etc.

ghost944
05-25-2003, 10:30 AM
i think opera is the best :)

vivitron 15
05-25-2003, 02:51 PM
I use Opera 7.10, for which there is definitely a crack on Kazaa, thats where I got mine. this just gets rid of the small banner ad (which isn't really that annoying) If you can't find one,PM me

zapjb
05-25-2003, 03:11 PM
Opera 7.03 here. Didn't like 7.10. Won't try 7.11. Think I'll wait till 8.0. :lol:

Storm
05-25-2003, 04:36 PM
up till now ive had only 3 sites warning opera might give dificulties....... 2 worked just as fine as with IE....... 1 (big grocery store in holland) said i had 2 get IE or netscape.........

overall opera works fine....... but has some great advantages over IE....... like mentioned b4..... the speed..... but how bout if u have 2 fill out a form on the internet, and u did something rong forcin u 2 go back....... wit IE u have 2 retype, Opera keeps what u rote....... and yes, u need 2 pay 4 it.........

but hey....... we all down illegal s*** so y not get the crack :devil:

get opera of the site, and the crack via kazaa.......

Wizzandabe
05-25-2003, 07:13 PM
Internet Explorer - No Adds, Quick to load
Opera - Adds (needs cracking) Takes a little time to load
Netscape - Sucks, Adds (needs to crack) dont know if you an crack it, takes time to laod
Monzilla - Looks like clasic Netscape, Adds, quck to load.

I use IE.

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-25-2003, 10:23 PM
You people are off you rocker if you think Opera is better than IE6.
I'm not a big Microsoft fan but IE6 doesn't even have any competition!
It's flat out the best.
I'm sorry but Opera isn't even in the same league.
I have Opera and like it but constantly have to switch to IE6 while running Opera because it won't load a page or something else.
Go surf the web for a 15 min and I guarantee you'll have to bring up IE6 more than once.
The only thing Opera has that IE6 doesn't (that's worth anything)is mouse gestures.
And this myth that Opera is faster than IE6 is just that "a myth"!
As a matter of fact I find Opera to be twice as slow as IE6.

Livy
05-25-2003, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@25 May 2003 - 23:23
It's flat out the best.
I'm sorry but Opera isn't even in the same league.
I have Opera and like it but constantly have to switch to IE6 while running Opera because it won't load a page or something else.
Go surf the web for a 15 min and I guarantee you'll have to bring up IE6 more than once.
The only thing Opera has that IE6 doesn't (that's worth anything)is mouse gestures.
And this myth that Opera is faster than IE6 is just that "a myth"!
As a matter of fact I find Opera to be twice as slow as IE6.
yeah i find that too, compatability is a big issue, i noticed a few sites wouldnt even let me into there site becuase i was using mozilla. :( but my ie6 is broke then now, alot of the java stuff aint working. and othere things, gonna do a ful install when i can be bothered, :)

Luca_Snipes
05-25-2003, 10:41 PM
another vote for Opera here, been using it for a few years now, hardly ever have any compatability problems, if I do, I tend to contact the site owners and it gets sorted (the biggest problem is JavaScript).
Speed wise Opera is slightly faster, due to the number of connections it opens to the web server (defaults at 8 while IE is 2).

Opera can be slower if the website does not meet the W3C standards.

which is why the only time I've opened IE for several months is for a Windows Update run..

As other mentioned, built in popup stopping, tabbed browsing, quick buttons to turn off images, and much more

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-25-2003, 11:08 PM
I'd like to know what Opera version you have because yours certainly works better than mine(7.11 registered)
I don't know what web sites you go to but that just sounds IMPOSSIBLE that your able to run Opera for months without switching to IE6.
I swear I'll say to myself "your running opera today without bringing up IE and that's that"
And sure as shit within minutes I'm bringing IE6 up!
This happens with every version of Opera I've ever tried and on several different computers.
6x/7.0/7.10/7.11
For some reason I can't even upload sigs with it.
I'll try an upload a sig and for some reason it fails.
Then I bring up IE6 and it works fine.
Do you think it could be a setting?
The bottom line is Opera don't work with a lot(not just a few) web sites!!

Cl1mh4224rd
05-26-2003, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by Wizzandabe@25 May 2003 - 20:13
Netscape - Sucks, Adds (needs to crack) dont know if you an crack it, takes time to laod
Monzilla - Looks like clasic Netscape, Adds, quck to load.
Say what? Have you actually used either Netscape or Mozilla? Last time I used Netscape (7.02), I don't remember there being any ad banners. As for Mozilla, I've been using it since 1.0 (currently using 1.3.1), and there have never been any ad banners.

Just FYI for anyone who cares:
1) Netscape (since 6.0) is based on slightly older builds of Mozilla, and generally doesn't include the popup-blocking feature that Mozilla does.

2) Yes, IE blows Opera away when it comes to load time. The reason IE loads so quickly is because it's integrated with the Windows OS. It's essentially already loaded when Windows boots up. For this reason, no other decent browser will load as quickly as IE; not even Opera. ;)

Ynhockey
05-26-2003, 04:14 AM
2) Yes, IE blows Opera away when it comes to load time. The reason IE loads so quickly is because it's integrated with the Windows OS. It's essentially already loaded when Windows boots up. For this reason, no other decent browser will load as quickly as IE; not even Opera.

Lol not for me... i've got an ok comp and IE 6 takes ~3 secs to load, while Opera loads the moment i click it. Also IE could freeze my comp for minutes at times when some gay pr0n site made itself the homepage or something. IE doesn't have tabbed browsing, it has popups, etc. etc... i can't beleive anyone can possibly use it, it's worse than even MSN Explorer :blink: oh well, it's your choice...

kennyboy
05-26-2003, 09:32 AM
Have to agree with Ynhockey. Only use IE6 when absolutely necaessary, (which isn't often) Opera much quicker on my machine, and very stable too. As for load times, - no comparison. Opera has it by far.

bigfoot1942
05-26-2003, 11:01 AM
hey people! if a site says you cant use Opera theyre probabely wrong.

Let opera enter the site (to do that u have to let opera identify as msie6.0) - (press F12 in opera to configure) its really easy.

Opera rules: it loads a site fast if u have a slow connection: it shows the parts of the site already downloaded while downloading. That way you can already read/click a link. MSIE only does that with pictures etc but opera does that with more parts of the site. Ive encountered hardly any incompatibies. so things arent centered while they should be but thats all.

melgl
05-26-2003, 12:02 PM
what i want to know is how you can strip the damn thing down [ie6] so that it doesn't clutter up everything else...i was reading in a mag that someone has two drives one for browsing and the other for the non-internet stuff..i looked in the registery and ie6 is everywhere like a disease...im sure its responsible for the crashing and everything else generally...you would think microsoft could come up with a better browser...i preferred netscape but i get use msdn :angry:

vivitron 15
05-26-2003, 02:06 PM
just in response to all the negative comments on Opera.

Ive had it for a few months now, and I haven't yet needed to use IE. The only time I do is when i want to use the ftp, because I find it easier to seperate them on the taskbar, to see that Opera is for surfing, and IE is for uploading. And yes, there is a small banner ad, but if you register (or look on kazaa ;) ) then thats not a prob.

The fact that you can configure everything in Opera makes it stand out, far above anything else. The skins make it nice to look at, all the menus can be configured by changing the ini files (even easy for me, who doesn't know a great deal) and the mouse gestures (which, again, are customisable) make browsing simple.

dingoBaby
05-26-2003, 02:51 PM
On the issue of speed, I was just experimenting with both browsers and this forum. I think Opera loads a little quicker. I am using DSL so both browsers are fast.

For anyone using dial-up one of the great features in opera is the show images button. From the tool bar you can "turn off" images on pages, making the page load faster. Its not a big help if you are surfing for pictures (obviously) but on a forum like this one, where there are a lot of images (ie signatures and animated avatars) that you don't really need to see you can turn them off and the page will load faster. A great feature for you 56k spammers out there.

Cl1mh4224rd
05-26-2003, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Ynhockey@26 May 2003 - 05:14
Lol not for me... i've got an ok comp and IE 6 takes ~3 secs to load, while Opera loads the moment i click it.
That's weird... On my system (Athlon 1.4GHz, 512MB DDR333 RAM, 120GB HD w/ 8MB internal cache, WinXP Pro), it's the opposite. Opera 7.11 takes a few seconds to load up, and IE only takes about one second.

Oh well, I use Mozilla anyway. Yeah, it loads slower, but you can't beat it for W3C standards compatability. Opera claims to be completely standards compliant, but when I used 6.03, it rendered sooooo many things completely wrong that I don't trust it anymore.

Kevhead2
05-26-2003, 10:52 PM
The people that think Opera is worse that I.E. dont know how to configure Opera.

After trying Opera i could never go back to I.E. ...it takes I.E. so much longer to load a page.

If for some reason your system crashes, Opera will remember all of the sites you were on and ask if you want to pick up where you left off

And as another person posted you need to go into preferences and check to identify as MSIE 5.0

The only thing i did not like is i could not get Opera to accept eDonkey links.. but i figured out how to solve that.

Another Browser that runs on the Explorer engine is "Fast Browser". it has tabs like Opera and alot of other great features, but is only a few mb in size

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-26-2003, 11:22 PM
Yes I've used Netscape and Mozilla.
The old old netscape was decent but AOL just can't resist trying to take over your computer and control your entire ONLINE and to a lesser extent your offline experience.

If anything by AOL Softwae of any kind is running or even installed in your computer it will try and dominate everything it can.

I don't have anything bad to say about Mozilla as I haven't used it enough to make a judgment.
btw I like Opera I just wish it would work better

Evil Fish
05-27-2003, 12:33 AM
I wander why nobody has mentioned Avant Browser?? it is just like opera 'cept faster and much much better! hmm, maybe you people just havn't heard of it... well i highly recommend you all get it immediately!

http://www.avantbrowser.com

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-27-2003, 01:34 AM
mmmm.
Never heard of it.
I went to the link you put up and Avant looks interesting.
I need more input before I try it.
All you avant users chime in please.

imported_khaki
05-27-2003, 02:01 AM
Opera + IE = Advant (http://www.avantbrowser.com) I love it. :)

All the compatibility plus customizable features and speed. Never had any complaints with it. Skinable too.

dawgas
05-27-2003, 02:19 AM
Originally posted by ShockAndAwe^i^@25 May 2003 - 18:23
It's flat out the best.

and the reason IE6 has no competition is cause it comes with the Windows Operating system, and it loads when the computer loads, but that is eating your system resources. or even better - microsoft sees what you are doing. thats a no no. so saying that IE6 is better than any operating system is saying that Windows is better than anything else. thats like saying shit is better than gormet food. i just have to say this - YOU ARE MESSED Up.

@khaki - Opera + IE does not = Advant. IE is buggy and shitty. however, Advant > Opera > IE is much better.
@Microsoft - FUCK YOU FOR MAKING THE SHITTIEST PIECE OF SHIT EVERYONE HAS EVER SEEN!

imported_khaki
05-27-2003, 02:24 AM
Well the program was originally named "IE Opera". ;)

zapjb
05-27-2003, 02:28 AM
Avant is just an add on to IE. Avant is dependent on IE. Opera rules for 56kers. :lol:

Cl1mh4224rd
05-27-2003, 05:31 AM
Good lord... The Netscape 4.x family makes me sick. I used to like it, too, until I got into web design and read other's thoughts about it. Netscape 4.x was the bane of every web designer's existence. IE 3 and 4 weren't much better, but it was what the majority of people were using.

I left Netscape 4.7 when IE5 came out, then I upgraded to IE6, and was using that for a while. Then Mozilla 1.0 was [finally] released and I've been using Mozilla ever since.

And to anyone who changes Opera to identify as IE, you realize that you're just adding to the IE counter stats on whatever pages you view, right? If web designers get the impression that a site doesn't get enough traffic from a certain browser, they won't even bother making it compliant* with that browser.

Don't get me wrong, I think Opera is a nice browser, but like I said in previous post: Due to previous issues with poor HTML rendering, I just don't trust it right now.

--
* Web designers shouldn't even have to worry about designing for certain browsers; they should just be able to write the HTML and have it look the same in every browser, but that's another issue.

Kevhead2
05-27-2003, 09:22 AM
I just tried Avant....its just like fast browser...there are a few browsers that use the IE engine and add the Opera additions.

But it still loads like IE...a lumbering albatross.

I admit i have had a few pages that dont load the way the developers designed it to while using Opera. but those are very few and dont prevent me from reading the page

I have 4 browsers ...ill keep Avant...i like having a different homepage for each browser, then when i want to check that page i just pop open that browser