PDA

View Full Version : Where is Guillaume?

SpatulaGeekGirl
02-20-2007, 11:01 PM
I need help with my French homework.

So, I've got a 70% average at the moment and I'm intending to bring that up with my speaking, cause it's pretty easy. Problem being our French teacher wrote all our speakings for us (cause we're lazy and don't get shit done) and I haven't got a clue what half of mine says, also, he hates me and I'm worried about what opinion he gave me in this thing. If I don't like it I want to change it, mainly to piss him off cause he's a git.

I need the help of someone who is fluent in French.

Also, hello again, everyone.

maebach
02-20-2007, 11:33 PM
yea, where is he?

Barbarossa
02-21-2007, 09:23 AM
JP hounded him out of the forums with uber excessive h4rshness.

He is currently performing on wednesdays at the Moulin Rouge in Paris. He's got tassels and everyfink.

Guillaume that is, not JP. :ermm:

manker
02-21-2007, 10:23 AM
I liked Guillaume.

Damn you, JP :@ :@ :@

Skweeky
02-21-2007, 08:57 PM
If it's not terribly difficult business French I can probably help you out o_O

Mr JP Fugley
02-21-2007, 09:22 PM
I thought you spoke Dutch.

Ludvig
02-21-2007, 09:26 PM
En quoi puis-je vous être utile,Mademoiselle ? :)

maebach
02-21-2007, 11:08 PM
ludvig sounds like a french name :|

Ludvig
02-22-2007, 12:25 AM
C'est un pseudonyme pour ce forum.De plus,tu remarqueras que l'orthographe n'est pas entièrement germanique...Je crois qu'il y a des cours de français ds l'Ontario,non ? :)

Barbarossa
02-22-2007, 10:56 AM
Canadians speaking French, surely that's like Geordies trying to speak English :snooty:

Chip Monk
02-22-2007, 01:15 PM
Canadians speaking French, surely that's like Geordies trying to speak English :snooty:

Weigh eye man.

SpatulaGeekGirl
02-22-2007, 06:59 PM
Anyway, I'll post the piece once I've found it. I lost it and now my French teacher rewrote it to make it easier (and stupider). I refused to do the new one he gave me (and got sent out of class) and am now in the process of searching for the old one.

Biggles
02-22-2007, 07:03 PM
Anyway, I'll post the piece once I've found it. I lost it and now my French teacher rewrote it to make it easier (and stupider). I refused to do the new one he gave me (and got sent out of class) and am now in the process of searching for the old one.

:ermm: Oh joy

:dabs:

Mr JP Fugley
02-22-2007, 07:16 PM
:lol:

Dadhood ftw,

Ludvig
02-22-2007, 10:04 PM
J'attends.

GepperRankins
02-22-2007, 10:10 PM
btw draw a picture. i'm bored

Skweeky
02-22-2007, 11:11 PM

:ermm: Oh joy

:dabs:

Sorry Big Les

Ludvig
02-23-2007, 12:08 AM
This is a little unfair.I noticed that english speaking canadian students provided much more efforts to speak french than the english geezers (Geezers that often have many years of french studies behind them...:D ).So you have to adopt the following strategy :you just say you don't speak english. And believe it or not, the miracle happens:they start to speak an understandable (And actually delightful ) french.

Conclusion 0:
english mates,stop being shy,and you'll further yourselves in the numerous subtilties of the french langage

Conclusion 1:
female canadian students understand this very quickly.Hence the quick progresses.

:)

PS:
-Barbarossa,yorkshire people are the best in England
-Bon,Spatula,il vient ce texte ?

Barbarossa
02-23-2007, 10:06 AM
As someone cleverer that me once said, and I paraphrase, when a langauge starts adopting words from other languages, it's a linguistic cul de sac.

Barbarossa
02-23-2007, 12:21 PM
Oooh, I've found guillaume :w00t:

http://img96.imageshack.us/img96/7797/chunnel2tunnel11rzsu4.jpg

SpatulaGeekGirl
03-02-2007, 06:47 PM
Got it. Someone please translate.

(btw, can't be arsed adding the accents)

Il y a spectatears qui croient qu'il existe trop de violence a la television et dans les films actuels au cinema. Pourquoi pensent-ils qu'on changerait la societe pour le meilleur si on faisait pression pour la censure plus considerable?

Moi je suis s'avis qu'il y a trop de violence gratuite dans les films, en fait, il y a eu un deferlement de la violence au cinema. De nos jours le scenario de n'importe quel film doit comprendre une image de combat ou de mort pour attirer une plus grande audience. le genre de la violence a evolue aux Etats-Unis (if this says what I think it sais my teacher is an idiot), un des pays les plus violents du monde.

Bien qu'il soit evident que l'image violent a une influence sur les idees des jeanes imitatears dans nos grandes villes, il est certain que la censure n'est pas l'unique reponse. La mejorite des spectateurs ne penserait jamais a copier un acte criminel de fiction. Le probleme n'est pas le cinema, c'est la societe elle-meme.

Les Scenarios les plus violents de monde, a mon avis, sont filmes au Japon, un pays ou on voit moins de bagarres dans la rue. La question de la cnesure n'est pas tellement importante. Ce qui est plus necessaire c'est un debat sur les raisons pourquoi les americains en particulier sont plus predisposes a copier les acteurs dans les films d'action.

(sorry for any typos)

Seedler
03-02-2007, 11:20 PM

Il y a spectatears qui croient qu'il existe trop de violence a la television et dans les films actuels au cinema. Pourquoi pensent-ils qu'on changerait la societe pour le meilleur si on faisait pression pour la censure plus considerable?

Moi je suis s'avis qu'il y a trop de violence gratuite dans les films, en fait, il y a eu un deferlement de la violence au cinema. De nos jours le scenario de n'importe quel film doit comprendre une image de combat ou de mort pour attirer une plus grande audience. le genre de la violence a evolue aux Etats-Unis (if this says what I think it sais my teacher is an idiot), un des pays les plus violents du monde.

Bien qu'il soit evident que l'image violent a une influence sur les idees des jeanes imitatears dans nos grandes villes, il est certain que la censure n'est pas l'unique reponse. La mejorite des spectateurs ne penserait jamais a copier un acte criminel de fiction. Le probleme n'est pas le cinema, c'est la societe elle-meme.

Les Scenarios les plus violents de monde, a mon avis, sont filmes au Japon, un pays ou on voit moins de bagarres dans la rue. La question de la cnesure n'est pas tellement importante. Ce qui est plus necessaire c'est un debat sur les raisons pourquoi les americains en particulier sont plus predisposes a copier les acteurs dans les films d'action.

(sorry for any typos)

Got it, translated.

(Can't be arse to take out any gheyness)

There is a phenomenon that I believe it exists too much violence in the lounge when I go on FST. Why does Barbarossa think the society is such a miserable place, considering he once starred in an interracial ghey pr0n0 and now wants it censored?

In my opinion there is lots of abusive violence on the interweb, in fact, there is tons of that violence in the lounge. In our days the bigger a flaming and rodding, the more audience it attracts. That kind of violence has evolved to the lounge (if this says what I think it sais Barbarossa is an idiot), one of the most violent forumz in the world.

Although it is evident that Barbarossa’s hairy testies has an influence on the ideas of the teens in our big forumz, it is certain that censorship is not the only answer. The majority of FST users would not star in ghey pr0n0s copying Barbie. The problem is not FST, it’s the smelly tele-BO given off by Barbie.

The more violent forumz in my opinion are the ones from Japan, where Barbie tries to blend in because he also possesses a small penish. The question of censorship is not important. It’s necessary to debate the reasons why British accountants in particular are more disposed to copy barbie’s homo actions.

(sorry for any typos, I’m only gr12 French)

SnnY
03-02-2007, 11:59 PM
Got it, translated.

There is a phenomenon that I believe it exists too much violence in the lounge when I go on FST. Why does Barbarossa think the society is such a miserable place, considering he once starred in an interracial ghey pr0n0 and now wants it censored?

In my opinion there is lots of abusive violence on the interweb, in fact, there is tons of that violence in the lounge. In our days the bigger a flaming and rodding, the more audience it attracts. That kind of violence has evolved to the lounge (if this says what I think it sais Barbarossa is an idiot), one of the most violent forumz in the world.

Although it is evident that Barbarossa’s hairy testies has an influence on the ideas of the teens in our big forumz, it is certain that censorship is not the only answer. The majority of FST users would not star in ghey pr0n0s copying Barbie. The problem is not FST, it’s the smelly tele-BO given off by Barbie.

The more violent forumz in my opinion are the ones from Japan, where Barbie tries to blend in because he also possesses a small penish. The question of censorship is not important. It’s necessary to debate the reasons why British accountants in particular are more disposed to copy barbie’s homo actions.

/Me gets the popcorn out

Barbarossa
03-03-2007, 12:12 AM

(sorry for any typos)

Got it, translated.

Seriously. That's quite good. Well done :happy:

Biggles
03-03-2007, 12:42 PM
Bump - to ensure that this module is completed :whistling

Seedler
03-03-2007, 02:37 PM
Got it, translated.

Seriously. That's quite good. Well done :happy:

Learning 4 yrs of French does have its uses:w00t:

Biggles
03-04-2007, 02:12 PM
A further bump in an attempt to limit the excuses for non-completion :dry:

StevenVD
03-04-2007, 04:14 PM
I thought you spoke Dutch.

Everyone in belgium can speak dutch and french ;)

SpatulaGeekGirl
03-04-2007, 08:18 PM
A wonderful translation but not quite what I'm looking for. This needs to be done for next week. Please help.

Barbarossa
03-05-2007, 10:40 AM
A wonderful translation but not quite what I'm looking for. This needs to be done for next week. Please help.

Joking aside, I think this is pretty accurate.

There are viewers who believe that there is too much violence on television and in current films at the cinema. Why does one think that one would change society for the better if one pressured for more considerable censorship?

I am of the opinion that there is too much explicit violence in films. In fact, there has been a surge of violence in the cinema. Nowadays the plot of any film must include/understand an image of combat or death to attract a greater audience. This kind of violence has evolved in the United States, one of the more violent countries of the world.

Although it is obvious that the violent imagery has an influence on the ideas of impressionable youngsters in our large cities, it is certain that censorship is not the single answer. The majority of viewers would never think to copy a criminal act of fiction. The problem is not the cinema, it is society itself.

The most violent plots in the world, in my opinion, are in Japanese films, a country where one sees fewer brawls in the street. The question of censorship is not so important. What is more necessary is a debate on the reasons why Americans in particular are more predisposed to copy the actors in action films.

Biggles
03-05-2007, 11:05 AM

There are viewers who believe that there is too much violence on television and in current films at the cinema. Why does one think that one would change society for the better if one pressured for more considerable censorship?

I am of the opinion that there is too much explicit violence in films. In fact, there has been a surge of violence in the cinema. Nowadays the plot of any film must include/understand an image of combat or death to attract a greater audience. This kind of violence has evolved in the United States, one of the more violent countries of the world.

Although it is obvious that the violent imagery has an influence on the ideas of impressionable youngsters in our large cities, it is certain that censorship is not the single answer. The majority of viewers would never think to copy a criminal act of fiction. The problem is not the cinema, it is society itself.

The most violent plots in the world, in my opinion, are in Japanese films, a country where one sees fewer brawls in the street. The question of censorship is not so important. What is more necessary is a debate on the reasons why Americans in particular are more predisposed to copy the actors in action films.

Barbie

You are a gent a scholar and her homework for the evening is set :shifty:

SnnY
03-05-2007, 11:14 AM
:noes: Oh dear, that passage presents opinion as fact far too often.

Ludvig
03-05-2007, 12:31 PM

There are viewers who believe that there is too much violence on television and in current movies. Why does one think that one would change society for the better if one pressured for more considerable censorship?

In my opinion,there is too much explicit violence in films. In fact, there has been a surge of violence in cinema. Nowadays,the plot of any film must include an image of battle or death to draw a greater audience. This kind of violence has evolved in the United States, one of the most violent countries in the world.

Although it is obvious that the violent imagery has an influence on the ideas [psyche ?] of impressionable youngsters in our large cities, it is certain that censorship is not the single answer. The majority of viewers would never think to copy a criminal act of fiction. The problem is not the cinema, it is society itself.

The most violent plots in the world are, in my opinion, in japanese movies, a country where one sees fewer brawls in the street. The question of censorship is not so important. What is more necessary is a debate on the reasons why Americans in particular are more predisposed [enclined ?] to copy the actors in action films.

Certains spectateurs croient et pensent qu'il y a trop de violence dans les films actuels et à la télévision. Pourquoi pensent-ils qu'on changerait la société pour le meilleur si on faisait pression pour une censure plus considérable ?
Je suis d'avis qu'il y a trop de violence gratuite dans les films. En fait, il y a eu un déferlement de la violence au cinéma. De nos jours,le scénario de n'importe quel film doit comprendre une image de combat ou de mort pour attirer une plus grande audience. Le genre de la violence a évolué aux Etats-Unis , un des pays les plus violents au monde.
Bien qu'il soit évident que l'image violente a une influence sur les idées des jeunes imitateurs dans nos grandes villes, il est certain que la censure n'est pas l'unique réponse. La majorité des spectateurs ne penserait jamais à copier un acte criminel de fiction. Le problème n'est pas le cinéma, c'est la société elle-même.
Les scénarios les plus violents du monde sont, à mon avis, filmés au Japon, un pays où les rixes sont moins visibles. La question de la censure n'est pas tellement importante. Ce qui est plus nécessaire,c'est un débat sur les raisons pour lesquelles les américains en particulier sont plus prédisposés à copier les acteurs dans les films d'action.

Pas beaucoup mieux,Barbarossa ! ;)

PS:
what's this "Hume razor" ? I know about the Ockham razor but Hume...

Gripper
03-05-2007, 12:47 PM
Far to much French in this thread please cease and desist or I'm sending the Daleks in.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v481/gripper103/gaydalek.jpg

Barbarossa
03-05-2007, 12:55 PM
I think the person that told me I'm shit at French should translate the original block of text as requested, or STFU :dry:

SpatulaGeekGirl
03-05-2007, 05:53 PM
Okay, now these are the changes I've made to it.

I am not opposed to violence in movies, although I do see some of it as unnecessary. In fact, there has been a surge of violence in the cinema. Nowadays many films include/understand an image of combat or death in an attempt to attract a greater audience. Most of these movies are those produced in the United States, one of the more violent countries of the world.

Although it is obvious that the violent imagery has an influence on the ideas of impressionable youngsters, it is certain that censorship is not the answer. The majority of viewers would never think to copy a criminal act of fiction. The problem is not the cinema, it is society itself.

In my opinion, some of the most violent movies in recent years have come from Japan, a country with a very low violent crime rate. The question of censorship is not so important. What is more necessary is a debate on the reasons why some people are so easily influenced by fictional acts and what can be done to stop them from hurting themselves and others.

Please re-translate this into French if it's not too much trouble

Biggles
03-06-2007, 12:43 PM
Bumped to circumvent the dinglefest.

Snee
03-07-2007, 02:00 AM
That worked well...

Any progress on this?

Biggles
03-07-2007, 02:48 PM
That worked well...

Any progress on this?

Hoping Skweeky can come up trumps on this.

Barbarossa
03-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Personally, I'm not understanding the point of this homework :dabs:

Translate some French into English, and then back into French again :blink:

Biggles
03-07-2007, 02:52 PM
Personally, I'm not understanding the point of this homework :dabs:

Translate some French into English, and then back into French again :blink:

Translated into English - personalised a little bit - turned back into French and then she has to use it as a speaking piece which will go towards her overall mark. She has scored quite highly so far so she wants this piece to "kick ass" apparantly :unsure:

Skweeky
03-07-2007, 02:53 PM
Oh dear oh dear oh dear

There's a lot of passive tenses in that text.

I don't think I can be of much help here. It's been too long since I've done anything with French grammatics.

Does the end product have to be in English or French?

Skweeky
03-07-2007, 02:55 PM
Ah, you just answered my question. nm

I've always found to just go with the flow when you're doing a speaking piece works better than trying too hard in writing it down.

Maybe a general outline with the main ideas in French is a better idea than trying to learn a whole text by heart?

You're bound the make mistakes if you do it that way, if you improvise most of it at least you have things to play with...

Barbarossa
03-07-2007, 02:56 PM
^
|
|
|

Cop-out above.

Skweeky
03-07-2007, 02:58 PM
Nope, just some advise from someone who always had 95% plus on oral pieces in French and always done it that way

PLus, I just admitted I've been away from it too long

I have to think about speaking Flemish at the moment :'(

Biggles
03-07-2007, 02:59 PM
Ah, you just answered my question. nm

I've always found to just go with the flow when you're doing a speaking piece works better than trying too hard in writing it down.

Maybe a general outline with the main ideas in French is a better idea than trying to learn a whole text by heart?

You're bound the make mistakes if you do it that way, if you improvise most of it at least you have things to play with...

No idea - I don't think she has to memorise it but rather read it well. The idea being that as she has modified it she can put appropriate inflection into the speaking - I think. It is a fairly complex piece.

Skweeky
03-07-2007, 03:00 PM
She has to read it?

It's not an actual oral presentation?

Barbarossa
03-07-2007, 03:01 PM
Wey Hey! :smilie4:

Biggles
03-07-2007, 03:03 PM
She has to read it?

It's not an actual oral presentation?

I believe she has to read it rather than do an oral presentation - she can be a bit vague with me over homework - or indeed if she even has any. She usually only conceeds that there might be homework if I start going through her school bag :dry:

SpatulaGeekGirl
03-07-2007, 07:17 PM
I have to speak it in French to the teacher, but am allowed English notes. There is then a question/answer thing in very basic language where I'm not allowed any notes. It's a bit much but I can manage.

All I need is the French translation of my final draft and I can start committing it to memory. So, please, just put it back in French, in the same kind of language used on the first version. It doesn't have to be exact, as long as it means the same thing.

Skweeky
03-07-2007, 07:46 PM
at the risk of sounding old and moany...

would it not be a better idea (and learning experience :lol: ) to translate it yourself and then have it corrected?

You seem to be pretty good at French and you know better what your teacher expects of you than any of us do :huh:

SpatulaGeekGirl
03-07-2007, 07:52 PM
No. Do it for me.

Do it fooooor meeeeeeee.

Ludvig
03-07-2007, 10:47 PM

I am not opposed to violence in movies, although I do see some of it as unnecessary. In fact, there has been a surge of violence in the cinema. Nowadays many films include/understand an image of combat or death in an attempt to attract a greater audience. Most of these movies are those produced in the United States, one of the more violent countries of the world.

Although it is obvious that the violent imagery has an influence on the ideas of impressionable youngsters, it is certain that censorship is not the answer. The majority of viewers would never think to copy a criminal act of fiction. The problem is not the cinema, it is society itself.

In my opinion, some of the most violent movies in recent years have come from Japan, a country with a very low violent crime rate. The question of censorship is not so important. What is more necessary is a debate on the reasons why some people are so easily influenced by fictional acts and what can be done to stop them from hurting themselves and others.

Voilà pour vous,Mademoiselle:

Certains spectateurs pensent qu'il y a trop de violence à la télévision et au cinéma.Pourquoi pense-t-on que la société pourrait changer pour le meilleur si on accentuait encore davantage la pression de la censure ?
Je ne suis pas opposée à la violence au cinéma.La plupart des films actuels se doivent de comporter des scènes de guerre ou de violence pour doper leur audience.La majorité de ces films sont produits aux USA,un des pays les plus violents au monde.
Même s'il est évident que la représentation de la violence a une influence sur les plus jeunes (Par définition plus impressionnables),il est certain que la censure n'est pas la réponse la plus appropriée.La majorité des spectateurs ne penserait jamais à reproduire un acte criminel qu'ils ont vu à l'écran.Le problème ne réside pas dans le cinéma en tant que tel mais dans la société elle-même.
On remarquera que certains des films les plus violents produits ces dernières années proviennent du Japon,un pays où le taux de criminalité est très bas.La question de la censure n'est pas si importante.Je pense qu'il est nécéssaire de s'interroger davantage sur les raisons qui font que certaines personnes sont si influencées par des oeuvres de fiction et les moyens que l'on peut mettre en oeuvre pour les empêcher de se nuire à eux-mêmes et de nuire aux autres.

Si je peux me permettre une petite remarque concernant le paragraphe final:ce dont tu parles,c'est du passage à l'acte.
Qu'est-ce qui fait que qq'un décide de franchir la barrière entre la réalité et la (Sa ?) fiction ? On parle alors de virtualisation du réel.

SpatulaGeekGirl
03-09-2007, 12:26 AM
Voilà pour vous,Mademoiselle:

Certains spectateurs pensent qu'il y a trop de violence à la télévision et au cinéma.Pourquoi pense-t-on que la société pourrait changer pour le meilleur si on accentuait encore davantage la pression de la censure ?
Je ne suis pas opposée à la violence au cinéma.La plupart des films actuels se doivent de comporter des scènes de guerre ou de violence pour doper leur audience.La majorité de ces films sont produits aux USA,un des pays les plus violents au monde.
Même s'il est évident que la représentation de la violence a une influence sur les plus jeunes (Par définition plus impressionnables),il est certain que la censure n'est pas la réponse la plus appropriée.La majorité des spectateurs ne penserait jamais à reproduire un acte criminel qu'ils ont vu à l'écran.Le problème ne réside pas dans le cinéma en tant que tel mais dans la société elle-même.
On remarquera que certains des films les plus violents produits ces dernières années proviennent du Japon,un pays où le taux de criminalité est très bas.La question de la censure n'est pas si importante.Je pense qu'il est nécéssaire de s'interroger davantage sur les raisons qui font que certaines personnes sont si influencées par des oeuvres de fiction et les moyens que l'on peut mettre en oeuvre pour les empêcher de se nuire à eux-mêmes et de nuire aux autres.

Si je peux me permettre une petite remarque concernant le paragraphe final:ce dont tu parles,c'est du passage à l'acte.
Qu'est-ce qui fait que qq'un décide de franchir la barrière entre la réalité et la (Sa ?) fiction ? On parle alors de virtualisation du réel.

Merci beaucoup, Monsieur! Mon professeur sera satisfait mais j’ai ne que 1 semaine apprendre ca!

Does that make sense?

Alien5
03-09-2007, 12:43 AM
wee wee

SnnY
03-09-2007, 12:51 AM
Fucking hell. If I knew people here actually did other people's homework I would have asked.

I need you lot to make a game using Macromedia Director without turning into a mental case because the bastard program doesn't have more than 1 undo level, due tomorrow.

SpatulaGeekGirl
03-09-2007, 12:52 AM
wee wee
lulz

Ludvig
03-09-2007, 07:15 PM
Merci beaucoup, Monsieur! Mon professeur sera satisfait mais j’ai ne que 1 semaine apprendre ca!

Does that make sense?

Almost ! ;)

You are using a negative form (Ne...que) so you have to write the sentence as follows :
"mais je n'ai qu'une (Always write numbers in letters) semaine"

Sretno,Gospodica !

SpatulaGeekGirl
03-09-2007, 08:57 PM
[/quote][/quote]

Does that make sense?

Almost ! ;)

You are using a negative form (Ne...que) so you have to write the sentence as follows :
"mais je n'ai qu'une (Always write numbers in letters) semaine"

Sretno,Gospodica !

Ah, yes! I forgot my negatives. Malheureusement, mon professeur n'est pas satisfait!

He says this language in this piece of writing is too difficult and that I have to do the easier one he gave me and it's stupid, stupid, stupid. It seems this was all in vain. ):<

Snee
03-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Lawl, she's not actually bosnian.

:captainobvious:

Ludvig
03-10-2007, 02:47 AM
Ooooooooooooooooh ! :(
That's a little exagereted ,I think.Anyways,if you want to post the new text,you can !

Oh dear,SnnY,you sure ?

samsamsamsam
03-10-2007, 02:57 AM
Ooooooooooooooooh ! :(

:glag:

SpatulaGeekGirl
03-10-2007, 07:10 PM
The new text is too easy, there's really no point in posting it. Thanks for helping me with this, though. Even if I didn't get to use it, I still appreciate it.

samsamsamsam
03-10-2007, 07:50 PM
you're welcome ma'am http://img110.imageshack.us/img110/153/hatdo0.gif

Alien5
03-10-2007, 07:55 PM
àh àh àh ààhh chooo