PDA

View Full Version : If Your Isp Threatnes You...

MetroStars
05-25-2003, 02:00 PM
After reading a lot of posts about people getting letters, phone calls from the ISP telling them to stop sharing sum of there media files ------- I know it must be a shock when when your ISP phones you up and tells you to stop sharing certain files ---------

but wouldn't you just tell your ISP to fuck off -- I know that's what i would do -- I mean whats the worst they can do dissconect you big deal just sign up for another ISP --- i know it would be a major hassle -- but iam not going to take orders from sum thing that i pay for....

just my garbage Opinion...

Thanks and Take it Easy

james_bond_rulez
05-25-2003, 04:19 PM
ahh hahhahhahah

Rauff
05-27-2003, 01:26 PM
i guess i would do the same too, haha

clocker
05-27-2003, 01:38 PM
You apparently have options.
Some of us do not.

I don't consider going back to 56k dial-up an option...

Dead Inside
05-27-2003, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by clocker@27 May 2003 - 09:38
You mean someone does?

Switeck
05-27-2003, 11:33 PM
Don't tell your ISP where to go, they're probably just the unwitting messenger of bad news.

Instead ask them for more information:
1.Who are your accusers?
2.What proof do they have?
3.How did they gather such proof?
4.Who gathered the proof (rather than who is accusing you...)?

If you're not given any of that information, how can you consider ANY such threats as based on legitimate concerns?
Anyone could accuse/sue anyone if little/no evidence is needed!

ghost944
05-28-2003, 12:04 AM
Originally posted by Switeck@28 May 2003 - 00:33

If you're not given any of that information, how can you consider ANY such threats as based on legitimate concerns?
Anyone could accuse/sue anyone if little/no evidence is needed!
thats true mate

Jibbler
05-28-2003, 01:26 AM
Originally posted by clocker@27 May 2003 - 09:38
You apparently have options.
Some of us do not.

I have multiple broadband options, but that doesn't mean that everyone does. I would ask my IP to provide some sort of documented proof which explains how they came to this "knowledge". :huh:

sam71
05-28-2003, 03:43 AM
I wouild shit my pants :huh: :blink: :unsure:

Ad
05-28-2003, 03:46 AM
I would tell em to stick it up their ass too

WeeMouse
05-28-2003, 06:33 AM
I'm not bothered - my net connection is in my mum's name!

:lol:

jetje
05-28-2003, 07:25 AM
just tell them you are doing a research on p2p filesharing and if the have problem with that they can contact your lawyer! :lol:

in short let them just go to hell..!

The broadband ISP will never shut down p2p... cause if they do the users will stop using broadband from them! It's like selling a ferrari and telling the guy you sell it to he isn't allowed to drive faster as 100km a hour. A lot of these calls are not from your isp but from some pranksters pulling a joke on you....

wel my 2cts..

Natsume Atsuko
05-28-2003, 07:34 AM
They must be pranksters I agree, I don't think it is legal for an ISP to spy on what there users have on there hard drive. It's called privacy. But who knows.. My ISP has yet to say anything to me about me sharing copyrighted files - might be just because they don't care.

Benno
05-28-2003, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by Natsume Atsuko@28 May 2003 - 09:34
They must be pranksters I agree, I don't think it is legal for an ISP to spy on what there users have on there hard drive. It's called privacy. But who knows.. My ISP has yet to say anything to me about me sharing copyrighted files - might be just because they don't care.
The ISPs dont spy on your HD. They get a letter from The RIAA or the like, that a file was shared with this IP. Then they forward it to the user.

Ynhockey
05-28-2003, 01:36 PM
Well, all i'd do is tell them i'm disconnecting from the ISP NOW!!! And they'd shut up. When they realize that you're serious about disconnecting, they don't bother you. Also, it's a good way to get a better connection. Once a friend of mine had probs with his connection so he called up the ISP and said he was disconnecting - they offerred him a 2 mbps connection (instead of 512k) for the same price if he'd stay.

Also, how can you not have any other options ? Where do you live ? I mean, i thought Israel was considered only a somewhat civilized country but there are at least 50 ISPs you could sign up with for broadband in any part of Israel, so, basically, your choices are unlimited. How can it be worse in a country that's considered more civilized (like the US/UK)??? And how come some of you say it's a hassle to switch ? You just call an ISP, tell them you wanna sign up, they get your phone # and credit card number, and in 20 minutes you can already use the internet... assuming you still have the modem from the last time you used broadband. It couldn't possibly be easier...