PDA

View Full Version : lcd monitors what to look for?

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-22-2007, 07:17 PM
I am considering buying a lcd, but I am not sure what to look for when making the decision. I know about the dvi input, but thats about all. The widescreen ones seem like the way to, but I dont know what manufacturer to go with, or what technology features I should look for. Anyone here have any advice to keep in mind while looking for one to buy?

Virtualbody1234
02-22-2007, 07:27 PM
Do you know what size you're looking for?

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-22-2007, 07:43 PM
Im looking at the 22 inch widescreens.

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-22-2007, 07:49 PM
I also keep seeing stuff about dead pixels. Is this a major issue?

does this seem like a good one to consider? I am not a real big fan of samsung, but mainly becuase of their hard drives, I think they suck, but thats just me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824001095

apmos
02-22-2007, 10:22 PM
Well, the first thing u must check is the panel. TN is the standard and cheaper, PVA panel is better and more expensive. Better for view angles and it gives you a real black and not a deep grey which looks like black (like TN)

Second thing most important is the pixel warranty. Make sure you choose a monitor with 0-pixel warranty especially if you go for 20 or 22 inches.

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-23-2007, 04:05 AM
well, the samsung I posted about above has a-si TFT/TN, and I have no idea what the hell that means :lol:

McLovin
02-25-2007, 12:38 AM
I would look on buy.com as well.. they normally always have good monitors or anything else on there for a good deal.

peat moss
02-25-2007, 04:43 AM
Did you read the reviews on your link ? You can't go wrong with a name brand tho . If coming from a CRT you'll wet your pants after watching a movie on it .

Hey I should write reviews , just kidding I'm so happy with my LCD purchase even tho its an entry level Accer . As my Grandad use to say " Good enough for the girls I go out with. "

AtomX
02-25-2007, 05:11 AM
depends what you doing with em. Look for good contrast ratio, good number and variety of imputs: DVI VGA VIDEO a minimum. Look for less than 12ms repsonse time, and not glossy.

towerblocks
02-25-2007, 06:41 PM
I've just bought a 19" WIDESCREEN LCD monitor, And i've had to go back to my 15inch crt monitor, The screen was way to bright for me, My eyes was killing me, I turned down the brightness and contrast all the way down to 0 and it was still to bright for me, So if i was you, Go some where you can see it on display and switched on and maybe have a fiddle around with the settings on it.

SnnY
02-25-2007, 08:35 PM
I've just bought a 19" WIDESCREEN LCD monitor, And i've had to go back to my 15inch crt monitor, The screen was way to bright for me, My eyes was killing me, I turned down the brightness and contrast all the way down to 0 and it was still to bright for me, So if i was you, Go some where you can see it on display and switched on and maybe have a fiddle around with the settings on it.

That's funny, most people prefer LCD because they're much brighter than CRT.

Mïcrösöül°V³
02-26-2007, 02:30 PM
I have seen reviews on newegg for some lcds being way too bright. I guess each persons vision is a little different in what is comfortable. The reviews for the one I linked in the fourth post are all good from what I can tell. I just wasnt sure what I should look for in a lcd, since I am new to it.

thirdwiseman
02-27-2007, 01:12 AM
my advice: don't get anything less than 19"
and make sure the return policy is strong wherever you buy it