PDA

View Full Version : does anyone like music with no lyrics in the song

snowultra
02-24-2007, 03:38 AM
i just cant listen to songs with no lyrics in them. i realize some songs would be so much better without a perticular singer.

what im saying is there are some songs that have great beats, but no lyrics. well all i can think is what a waste of some good beats.

imapotato
02-24-2007, 08:17 AM
I don't know if I would call Mogwai or Mum a "waste of some good beats". Or, even, some of the decent electronic music out there. I can almost see what you mean with some of Ratatat's stuff, but even so - hardly a waste.

jonnythereaper
02-24-2007, 03:19 PM
In the Trivium album 'Ascendancy', theres a song with no lyrics, just a piano:

End of the world - Trivium

I think its called. Listen to it :D

Afronaut
02-24-2007, 07:01 PM
Instrumentals?

Kickass.

natedogg
02-24-2007, 08:04 PM
I like music with no lyrics, I only listen to the beat anyway

100%
02-24-2007, 10:15 PM
Instrumentals?

Kickass.

I don't quite get that kick off of the windows startup sound.

McLovin
02-25-2007, 12:43 AM
sometimes I listen to japanese bands.. because lyrics tend to ruin a lot of good songs.

and if I can't understand the lyrics, then it can't be ruined.

mbfraser
02-27-2007, 04:57 AM
One of my favourite 'songs' has no lyrics.

Eric Johnson - Cliffs of Dover

Pretty amazing guitar.

...I also like the Top Gun theme, Boondock Saints theme, and the Jimi Hendrix Tribute instrumental.

cpt_azad
02-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Bach, Mozart or Beethoven, AND most symphonies

also:

Ashes of the Wake (its a pure instrumental track w/ 4 ssweeet solos) - Lamb of God

S!X
02-27-2007, 07:39 AM
In the Trivium album 'Ascendancy', theres a song with no lyrics, just a piano:

End of the world - Trivium

I think its called. Listen to it :D

"The End of Everything" actually, yeah it's good. :cool:

Barbarossa
02-27-2007, 09:37 AM

Pretty amazing guitar.

Agreed. That is awesome. Do you like Satriani? Alot of his "songs" don't require lyrics, and don't have them.

I do like theme tunes too. The Theme to "The Piano", "Braveheart" and "Gladiator" spring to mind.

Telstar by the Tornadoes is another great instrumental :happy:

Shadowfire
03-01-2007, 10:37 PM
Are there any collections of good instrumentals on one album or anything like that? I'm interested in this (kind of like classical music, but with more of a modern feel without any lyrics ... stuff like "Cure for the Itch" by Linking Park")

Fulanito
03-03-2007, 08:23 AM
yeah i have lots of them sometimes i just want to listen to the beats heh

ziggyjuarez
03-04-2007, 04:33 AM
I've been give'n "Explosions in the Sky (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Explosions_in_the_Sky)" some play.

kilontek
03-04-2007, 07:28 PM
There are loads of great tracks with no lyrics

stealth_SS
03-04-2007, 08:47 PM
Listen to some DJ Shadow and be blown away.

mbfraser
03-07-2007, 09:26 PM

Pretty amazing guitar.

Agreed. That is awesome. Do you like Satriani? Alot of his "songs" don't require lyrics, and don't have them.

I do like theme tunes too. The Theme to "The Piano", "Braveheart" and "Gladiator" spring to mind.

Telstar by the Tornadoes is another great instrumental :happy:

Yeah, I listen to Satch as well. Didn't he teach Steve Vai and Kirk Hammet? He's insane.

nursepissangel
03-10-2007, 06:12 PM
explosions in the sky produces the most evocative music i've ever heard, and they don't sing.

peat moss
03-17-2007, 03:44 PM
In A Goda Da Vida by Iron Butterfly is a good example of how less is better . Wipe Out by the Surfers is another example .

Listen to some DJ Shadow and be blown away.

No Heaven ? Sorry I was thinking of DJ Champion I think . Techno beat no need for lyrics . :)

Confluence
03-18-2007, 02:14 PM
Ahh, some amazing stuff has been mentioned here, I love steve Vai and Santriani. DJ Shadow is also good, as is Explosions in the Sky.

If you like amazing guitar, what about Gilbert and Becker as well. Yngwie Malmsteen too, yes he's a bit arrogant, but he can definitely play guitar...

I love some electro etc too from time to time, and classical (I play piano). Some progressive metal songs don't have lyrics either (Dream Theater - Dance of Eternity), and most have stretches of instrumental pure musical genius.

Fruktis
03-20-2007, 04:12 PM
hehe i listening to trance (without vocals), and i think its the best genre just because it's non anoying vocals :) thats my opinion

Bucktoof
03-23-2007, 06:46 PM
I'm guessing you guys are talking more about trance, electronica, and the like, not classical or jazz, right? :)

Having taken classical piano, I enjoy classical music, kind of grows on you and it's perfect for studying since it has no lyrics and is calming. I have come to like jazz a lot in the past 5 or so years, and I prefer the songs without the lyrics because the musicians then have more freedom with the music to improvise.

But then again, it's not everyone's thing

spawn6937
04-10-2007, 06:57 PM
Yeah, Explosions In The Sky, GY!BE and a lot of Post Rock bands are incredible without vocals; imo vocals would spoil them.

drfunkm
04-12-2007, 03:51 AM
sound tribe sector 9 is one of my favorite bands that plays without lyrics. catch them live they're on tour now!
http://www.myspace.com/sts9/
you can get a lot of their live recordings at http://bt.etree.org

fastbacker
04-18-2007, 05:14 AM
Some favorite instrumental bands:
Tortoise
Mogwai
Trans Am
Ratatat
Don Caballero
Dianogah

and of course the 80 years of instrumental jazz has a _few_ highlights.

kaosfere
04-18-2007, 03:16 PM
and of course the 80 years of instrumental jazz has a _few_ highlights.

Not to mention the past 1000 years of Western musical canon.

d4l
04-21-2007, 05:28 PM
I dont really like songs with no lyrics its always at the back of my mind wondering when the song will start.

ChotaZorro
04-22-2007, 03:50 AM
It certainly depends. Usually some metal or jazz songs are only instrumental but they kicka$$. While some are plain boring. There are also some songs totally with guitar for example songs of Michael Angelo, Paul Gilbert, Steve Vai, etc., they can rock if the music is good.

brotherdoobie
04-22-2007, 05:42 AM
i just cant listen to songs with no lyrics in them. i realize some songs would be so much better without a perticular singer.

what im saying is there are some songs that have great beats, but no lyrics. well all i can think is what a waste of some good beats.

The beat needs no words,son.

-bd

zizoor
04-22-2007, 02:51 PM
thanks

tyler78
04-23-2007, 08:41 PM
godspeed you black emperor! - east hastings
just listen it