PDA

View Full Version : Nintendo Wii Outsells All

RealitY
02-24-2007, 09:40 AM
http://www.slyck.com/newspics/wii.jpgThe Nintendo Wii is gaming simplicity at its finest. It needs no complicated finger maneuvers and little in the way of a learning curve. Those who cringe at the sight of a 15 button console controller have breathed a sigh of relief at the relatively simplistic Wii controllers (the Nunchuk and Wiimote), which use far fewer buttons and rely mostly on human movement to control the game.

Additional benefits include a decent workout and increased activity, something PS3 and X-Box simply don't offer. In fact, Nintendo Wii has been credited as being a progressive step forward compared to the atrophy-inducing game consoles from the days of old.

The arrival of the Wii hasn't been without its growing pains. Soon after its release, horror stories emerged that the nunchuk would become the very weapon it emulated - flying off wrists and straight into TV sets, windows, and other expensive objects.

Yet a quick response recall from Nintendo and minimal concerns of whacking the family cat with a solid plastic Nunchuk appear to have subsided and helped spur the Wii's growth - not to mention a $250 price tag. In a report published by the NPD Group, an organization that collects statistics on the behavior of the American landscape, found that the Nintendo Wii outsold its closest competitors, PS3 and X-Box, in January of 2007.

"According to the independent NPD Group," a Nintendo press release (http://press.nintendo.com/articles.jsp?id=11496) reads, "Wii sold through 435,503 systems to customers in its January reporting period. By comparison, that's 70 percent higher than any other new video game system in its first January of availability during the last 10 years."

According to ItWire (http://www.itwire.com.au/content/view/9808/532/), XBox sold only 294,000 units, while the PS3 sold 244,000 units. Oddly enough, the much older PS2 outsold its younger brother with 300,000 units. Nintendo readily admits its success is only limited by demand outpacing supply.

"The only limit on Nintendo's success is the availability of Wii and DS systems, which continue to sell out as fast as Nintendo can ship them. Shipments are being made continuously to feed the huge demand around the country."

:source: Source: http://www.slyck.com/news.php?story=1408

S!X
02-24-2007, 11:01 AM
Not surprising, considering it's price and it happens to be the only system so far to be interactive like that.

Hairbautt
02-24-2007, 05:45 PM
Before the systems were released and there was alot of speculation on what each system will have to offer...it was looking bad for Nintendo, glad to see that things have come thru for Iwata (pres, right?)

Busyman™
02-25-2007, 12:30 PM
I think it outsold purely based on price.

There's a big difference between 250, 400, and 600 for a parent.

It's why rated G/PG/PG-13 movies do better than R-rated ones.

It's the accessibility factor.

I have to agree also with the workout factor. I've been considering one purely based on that.

S!X
02-25-2007, 12:38 PM

I have to agree also with the workout factor. I've been considering one purely based on that.

Yep, accessibility,availability,price and the "workout" (he a little bit of excercise doesn't hurt) factor made the Wii what it is. :yup: I was quite surprised to see how low it is in price up against that bastard PS3.

Busyman™
02-25-2007, 01:19 PM

Yep, accessibility,availability,price and the "workout" (he a little bit of excercise doesn't hurt) factor made the Wii what it is. :yup: I was quite surprised to see how low it is in price up against that bastard PS3.

I wasn't. Besides the new Wiimote there was very litle innovation in the hardware when you think about it. The graphics were only bumped up by a cunt hair so all that was left was game development to incorporate the Wiimote into games.

It's a Gamecube + Wiimote. The Virtual Console is nothing special to me.

"Hey look! Now you can download emulated games!"

We've all been doing that for years with MAME on the PC, and modded consoles and handhelds.

The only reason I haven't bought a Wii yet is because of it's price. I like the workout but it offers shit on the games front for me to plunk down $250. The Gamecube already had a mileage problem. My collection on that sucks compared to the Xbox and PS2. So even with the Wii's lower price point against the 360, I can't justify the cost right now for an exercise/party machine. I can get LOZ: TP on the GC and figure that...it would basically look the same as it would on a Wii.:dry:

MCHeshPants420
02-25-2007, 02:34 PM
With a delayed release, reduced backwards compatibility, no 20gb version and an extra $200 (or maybe $300) added to the price tag I would be surprised if the PS3 were to struggle over here. No way would I pay the cost of a high-end graphics card for a console.

Wii is the success story of the current console war because of many factors including its price tag, the appeal to a wider range of potential game-players is just as important imo. I know quite a few people who are rabidly anti-console but they like the sound of (or already own) the Wii, I might even be tempted to purchase one when I finish uni.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20070210.jpg

Busyman™
02-25-2007, 04:46 PM
With a delayed release, reduced backwards compatibility, no 20gb version and an extra $200 (or maybe $300) added to the price tag I would be surprised if the PS3 were to struggle over here. No way would I pay the cost of a high-end graphics card for a console.

Wii is the success story of the current console war because of many factors including its price tag, the appeal to a wider range of potential game-players is just as important imo. I know quite a few people who are rabidly anti-console but they like the sound of (or already own) the Wii, I might even be tempted to purchase one when I finish uni.

http://www.penny-arcade.com/images/2007/20070210.jpg

I have to agree with some of that. My friend's parents his wife's parents and other folks who don't even play video games love the Wii.

However again, it's mainly in the party/get together atmosphere. His father-in-law likes the golf and I could see him playing it alone since he likes golf anyway. He even said though that he wished the graphics were better (as in more realistic).

Nintendo is definitely on to something but I think it'll take a considerable graphics bump for me to personally consider it a powerhouse.

One reason anti-console proponents would like the Wii is simply cuz it offers something gameplay-wise that PCs don't have. I personally like console and PCs for their respective strengths (Half-Life 2 on PC - modding, God Of War - not available on PC, can just cut on and play).

I've played with the Wii at length alone (STFU) and got bored with it besides LOZ: TP (which is never boring). The console could easily be marketed as a fun way to get exercise though. Normal working out is quite boring. This console makes it basically superfluous since it masks the workout with some fun (ex: I love to play basketball but I don't play to get a workout).

The PS3 can suck ass for awhile. I sold a decent amount and kept none for myself. It doesn't have a killer game besides Resistance and it's price tag is way too high. I was surprised to hear that the 360s HD-DVD player sold very well during the holidays.:huh:

Wheelz420
03-02-2007, 10:28 PM

I wasn't. Besides the new Wiimote there was very litle innovation in the hardware when you think about it. The graphics were only bumped up by a cunt hair so all that was left was game development to incorporate the Wiimote into games.

It's a Gamecube + Wiimote. The Virtual Console is nothing special to me.

"Hey look! Now you can download emulated games!"

We've all been doing that for years with MAME on the PC, and modded consoles and handhelds.

The only reason I haven't bought a Wii yet is because of it's price. I like the workout but it offers shit on the games front for me to plunk down $250. The Gamecube already had a mileage problem. My collection on that sucks compared to the Xbox and PS2. So even with the Wii's lower price point against the 360, I can't justify the cost right now for an exercise/party machine. I can get LOZ: TP on the GC and figure that...it would basically look the same as it would on a Wii.:dry:

I love my Wii, it is definitly more family oriented though but games like Red Steel and Far Cry make it a little bit easier to accept that there arnt many goo voilent games on nintendo machines,sigh,but the Wii is defintly something differnt and fun as hell to play with and get some exersize to boot.And nothing nothing beats watching grandma waving and jumpin around like a schoolgirl hehehehe.
P.S Gamecube games are much better looking on a Wii.it like going from a crappy onboard intel video card to a Radeon for PC games

deekismusic
03-03-2007, 07:54 PM
More than 360? That's hard to believe.

exodusms
03-05-2007, 08:38 PM
I do love my wii, but this constant delay of games and lack of online play makes it hard to believe it could outsell the 360.