PDA

View Full Version : Diskkeeper

melgl
05-25-2003, 09:35 PM
shite...does any one know why DiskKeeper says my c drive is still heavily fragmented despite the fact windows just spent 4.5 hours defragmenting the thing. <_< ..also does it rearrange so that pc runs faster?

Wolfmight
05-25-2003, 09:46 PM
dont trust any 3rd party Defragers.

The "microsoft" one works fine.

The Windows XP one is really updated and works even better.

Stuff like Diskeeper, Norton Speeddisk, etc is just the same thing, but the programmers didnt understand windows as much, so they ushally cause problems.

Luca_Snipes
05-25-2003, 10:51 PM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@25 May 2003 - 22:46
dont trust any 3rd party Defragers.

The "microsoft" one works fine.

The Windows XP one is really updated and works even better.

Stuff like Diskeeper, Norton Speeddisk, etc is just the same thing, but the programmers didnt understand windows as much, so they ushally cause problems.
the defragger in Win XP is written by the same people that write Diskeeper, infact it&#39;s called Diskeeper Lite due to it&#39;s reduced function set. Microsoft did their usual trick of using other peoples software.

The reason Diskeeper may have left some "fragmented" files is because it&#39;s optomised for workstations and servers, which have slightly differing needs for defragmenting, or there just wasn&#39;t enough free continuous space to put it in, if it&#39;s the first time you&#39;ve run it I&#39;d suggest a running it through agian and scheduling it to run once a week

Wolfmight
05-26-2003, 01:46 AM
i looked at the About thing on Windows XP Defrag and it doesnt say anything about DiskKeeper... just says Microsoft. ....confused....

Colt Seevers
05-26-2003, 02:54 AM
Two versions of Diskeeper are available — one for Servers and one for Workstations.

Windows Versions and Platforms Supported
Two versions of Diskeeper are available:

Diskeeper Server is supported on Windows 2000 Server and Professional, as well as on Windows NT 4.0 Server and Workstation operating systems. Diskeeper Server is also compatible with Windows XP.

Diskeeper Workstation is supported on Windows 95, Windows 98, Windows Me, Windows NT 4.0 Workstation, and 2000 Professional. Note that OEM Service Release 2 (OSR 2) or higher is required on Windows 95 systems and Service Pack 3 or higher is required on Windows NT 4.0. Diskeeper Workstation is also compatible with Windows XP.

An earlier version, Diskeeper 1.09, is available on request for Windows NT 3.5 and 3.51 systems running with Service Packs 0 through 4.

Diskeeper operates on the Intel x86 platform (including Pentium and compatible CPUs from other manufacturers).

File Systems Supported
Diskeeper supports these file systems:

Operating System
File Systems

Windows 2000/XP
NTFS, FAT16 and FAT32

Windows NT 4.0
NTFS and FAT16

Windows 95/98/Me
FAT16 and FAT32

Note that the 12-bit FAT file system is not supported. (The 12-bit FAT file system is used on FAT volumes smaller than 16 megabytes in size, such as floppy disks). In addition, NTFS volumes formatted with a cluster size larger than 4 kilobytes are not supported.

Disks Supported
Diskeeper supports a wide range of SCSI and IDE disks, including:

Primary Partitions

Extended Partitions

Logical Drives

Volume Sets

RAID Arrays

Mirrored Disks

Theory of Operation:

As used in reference to Windows operating systems, disk fragmentation means two things:

a condition in which pieces of individual files on a disk volume are not contiguous, but rather are broken up and scattered around the volume; and

a condition in which the free space on a volume consists of little pieces of space here and there rather than a few large free spaces.

The effects of excessive fragmentation are twofold as well:

file access takes longer because a file must be collected in pieces here and there, requiring several disk accesses instead of just one; and

file creations take longer because space for the file must be allocated in little pieces here and there instead of just one contiguous allocation.

Before the introduction of Diskeeper, there was no method for completely correcting the problems of file and free space fragmentation on Windows NT computers or in a mixed Windows network.

In designing Diskeeper, the following goals were established:

The product must be completely safe to use.

It must improve Windows system performance. It is not designed to make the disk look "pretty" — it is designed to improve disk performance and, as a result, overall system performance.

It should process live disks without interfering with user access to files.

It should run without operator intervention.

It must defragment all possible files and consolidate free space into the smallest possible number of large spaces.

Oh and it works very well for me on Xp Home. Wouldn&#39;t go back to the standard MS defrag after using this&#33; B)

Luca_Snipes
05-26-2003, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by Wolfmight@26 May 2003 - 02:46
i looked at the About thing on Windows XP Defrag and it doesnt say anything about DiskKeeper... just says Microsoft. ....confused....
Look at the about box again - "Copyright &copy; 2001 Microsoft Corp. and Executive Software International, Inc"

Executive Software are the people that write diskeeper

Supernode
05-26-2003, 09:31 AM
Get perfectdisk and get happy :rolleyes:
Diskeeper is shit, try perfectdisk and you will know.

velcrom
05-26-2003, 11:26 AM
Diskeeper works just fine for me { win XP pro } never had a problem with it

melgl
05-26-2003, 11:47 AM
phew :blink: cheers.....perfect disk okay i&#39;m on it diskeeper is outta here :D

zapjb
05-26-2003, 03:44 PM
Yes PerfectDisk by Raxco. :)

Wolfmight
05-26-2003, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Luca_Snipes+26 May 2003 - 02:23--></span><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Luca_Snipes @ 26 May 2003 - 02:23)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin--Wolfmight@26 May 2003 - 02:46
Look at the about box again - "Copyright © 2001 Microsoft Corp. and Executive Software International, Inc"

Executive Software are the people that write diskeeper [/b][/quote]
fine fine... dont use Norton Speeddisk then (everything else in Norton System works 2003 works great.. heh if i were them.. i&#39;d take off speedisk)

McGee
05-26-2003, 03:54 PM
O&O Defragmenter Professional is the best IMO.

Colt Seevers
05-26-2003, 03:58 PM
o&o products do seem to do the business&#33; I&#39;m using clever cache pro along side my diskeeper...no probs.. ;)

@supernode, whats the deal with perfect disk? Can you eleborate rather than "this is shit."..."this is good."

Thanks

zapjb
05-26-2003, 04:24 PM
IMO: #1 PerfectDisk #2 O&O Defrag Pro #3 VoptXP #4 Speed Disk

Colt Seevers
05-26-2003, 04:34 PM
I think I will give Perfect Disk a try... ;)

skelley521
05-26-2003, 04:35 PM
Originally posted by zapjb@26 May 2003 - 16:44
Yes PerfectDisk by Raxco. :)
Yes, PerfectDisk&#33;&#33;
I was a long time user of diskeeper, wow, couldnt believe I kept that load of crap on my XP system.
It (PrefectDisk) is simular to Nortons speed disk, but it REALLY&#33;&#33; does the job, where nortons falls short.
It will arrange all the files on your 2000/XP system making all your apps./boot/browsing faster.
HERE (http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/) is their site.

Wolfmight
05-26-2003, 04:41 PM
When i use 3rd party tweak programs... it seems that some things get faster, but other things get slower as well..
Breaks the balance.

regnaDkciN
05-26-2003, 05:39 PM
I&#39;m still running Windows 98SE, downloaded PerfectDisk, and the installer quit with the message stating it only works for Windows 2000 and XP. :angry:

Oh well, I plan to upgrade to XP soon after checking out a bit more on my secondary machine.

ricochet
05-26-2003, 09:44 PM
I use diskkeeper, i looked for perfectdisk but no luck, does anyone got a hash???

ooo
05-26-2003, 09:46 PM
lol it should make the pc run faster mi too lazy to defrag... yea i spent hourz defragging w/ it on one of my computers taht i havent defraged for 3 yearz and it was onli 1/5 done after watching 3 movies&#33;

hdoshi
05-26-2003, 10:11 PM
No ... No ... No ... Give Diskeeper a try. It is best. Defrags my hard disks in minutes. Does a good job.

Forget the rest ............ Diskeeper is best &#33; :D :D :D

Regards
hdoshi

hdoshi
05-26-2003, 10:12 PM
No ... No ... No ... Give Diskeeper a try. It is best. Defrags my hard disks in minutes. Does a good job.

Regards
hdoshi

skelley521
05-26-2003, 10:36 PM
Originally posted by hdoshi@26 May 2003 - 23:12

Regards
hdoshi
Fast yes, good job...no&#33;
How do you view the files on your hard-drive to tell if it does a good job? Which app do you use?
Have you ever used PerfectDisk?? If not, how can you say no.

Nightwolf
05-26-2003, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by regnaDkciN@26 May 2003 - 12:39
I&#39;m still running Windows 98SE, downloaded PerfectDisk, and the installer quit with the message stating it only works for Windows 2000 and XP. :angry:

Oh well, I plan to upgrade to XP soon after checking out a bit more on my secondary machine.
According to their website, there is a 98 verson...

http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/p...00_download.cfm (http://www.raxco.com/products/downloadit/perfectdisk2000_download.cfm)

I think I&#39;ll try it.

ricochet
05-26-2003, 11:35 PM
Does anyone have the crack for perfectdisk????????????

Supernode
05-27-2003, 07:03 AM
Antidiskeeper (http://hem.bredband.net/frepad/anti_diskeeperenu.rar)
To remove the shit from your computer.

http://www.skeptictank.org/gen1/gen00279.htm

Nightwolf
05-27-2003, 07:55 AM
Originally posted by ricochet@26 May 2003 - 18:35
Does anyone have the crack for perfectdisk????????????
You can get it by searching here...

http://astalavista.box.sk/

Just make sure you download the right one for the version you have.

tracydani
05-27-2003, 08:07 AM
I have been using diskkeeper and like the way it runs in the background without affecting what I am doing. No need to set aside a day and or night for a defrag :)

I tried looking for perfect disk but cannot open their site.

Nightwolf
05-27-2003, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by tracydani@27 May 2003 - 03:07
I tried looking for perfect disk but cannot open their site.
That&#39;s odd - maybe your IE Security settings are too high. Are you sure you tried this site...

http://www.raxco.com/products/perfectdisk2k/

Actually, I just got Diskeeper a few weeks ago. Then two days ago I had a system crash (I don&#39;t know if DK had anything to do with it), and after restoring my registry I found that DK no longer worked. Whenever I tried to run it from the Start Menu, Notepad would open up with a bunch of jumbled code in it. I tried uninstalling and reinstalling it, but it still didn&#39;t work. So yesterday I tried PerfectDisk (because of this thread), and so far it seems pretty good. :)

tracydani
05-27-2003, 08:26 AM
Yep, I tried the link with no results. Just errors. I will try a bit later after I finish a few things :)

SeattlePC
05-27-2003, 08:40 AM
HI All, if your looking for the latest version of a

Diskeeper RETAIL v7.0.428 it&#39;s available at Astaforum.com

Astaforum&#39;s Diskeeper Thread (http://astaforum.com/showthread.php?threadid=19255&perpage=10&highlight=diskeeper&pagenumber=1)

Look for INCOGNITO&#39;s Post

If you don&#39;t want to use this software that&#39;s your choice.

Use Astaforum&#39;s SEARCH button and type your desired Software title.......
Don&#39;t just limit yourself to Defragmentors, because then you will be missing out on LOTS

:P

Supernode
05-27-2003, 09:29 AM
File: pdwks60.exe
Length: 5018511 Bytes,4900KB
UUHash: =Yz/Xmt+ZGEEubAAzJD6+a/BNTHA=