PDA

View Full Version : The last resting place of Jesus and Mary

Ava Estelle
02-27-2007, 05:47 AM
So, they found the bones of Jesus, Mary Magdelene and their son Judah.

What a blow to christianity! I guess he didn't die on the cross then.

Oh well, the empty churches will help the housing shortages, and the paedophile priests will lose their captive audience.

http://image.guardian.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2007/02/26/tomb.jpg

Is this really the last resting place of Jesus, Mary Magdalene - and their son?

If it really were the most important archaeological discovery in history, the point of truth came with very little song or dance. There was no drum roll or fanfare, just the sweeping aside of black felt drapes to reveal a pair of simple stone boxes sitting side by side.

But for the panel of film-makers, theologians and statisticians at New York's public library yesterday, this really was the moment. As James Cameron, the director of the film Titanic who has lent his name to the project, said: "It doesn't get bigger than this".

The claim that was being presented to the world's media and which will be aired on the Discovery Channel on Sunday was that the two boxes once contained the bones of Jesus of Nazareth and his wife Mary Magdalene. Another box, not present at yesterday's event but coincidentally on display in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, contained, so the theory goes, the bones of their son, Judah.

The boxes, which housed human bones and are known as ossuaries, are made out of Jerusalem limestone with its distinctive colour of clotted cream. The smaller of the two bears the inscription Jesus, son of Joseph, while the larger and more lavishly decorated is marked in the name of Mariamene e Mara. According to the Canadian documentary-maker, Simcha Jacobovici, the inscription translates as Mary Magdalene the Master. It is his contention that he and his team of advisers have conclusively found the tomb of Jesus and his family.

Source. (http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,,2022252,00.html)

Skiz
02-27-2007, 05:57 AM
The one thought that was going through my head while reading this was coincidently summed up in the final two paragraphs:

"We know that Joseph, Jesus and Mariamene were all among the most common names of the period. To start with all these names being together in a single tomb and leap from there to say this is the tomb of Jesus is a little far-fetched, to put it politely," said David Mevorah, a curator of the Israel museum in Jerusalem.

Professor Kloner told the Yedioth Ahronoth newspaper that the name Jesus had been found 71 times in burial caves at around that time.

I don't believe in any religion anyways, so not at all biased here.

I don't think this will change anything though - People have their faith, and typically it makes them a better person, and that will always be.

Should be an interesting watch on Discovery, though this Sunday.

Chip Monk
02-27-2007, 08:55 AM
Particularly poor attempt at trolling there, the last remains of Joseph, Mary and Jesus have been found on several occassions now. About twenty if memory serves. We also have a good handful of confirmed grails from the last supper and enough fragments of the true cross to make a decent sized ark.

"Oh well, the empty churches will help the housing shortages, and the paedophile priests will lose their captive audience", go back to anti-semitism. At least you've been practicing that.

Can someone tell me why he is allowed to continually make comments like that. Maybe the mod who replied to it would like to comment.

Biggles
02-27-2007, 09:40 AM
This tomb was found over 10 years ago and is not exactly "news". I will watch the programme with interest - although I think I will keep a jaundiced eye on all the hype. It is very easy for good archaeology to get swamped with Da Vinci Code type nonsense.

The commonness of the names of the period makes a point in itself regarding the difficulty of verifying certain religious texts or indeed the editing process that eventually discounted most of the popular Christian texts from AD100 to AD300.

Organised religion has its own momentum and to be honest is barely affected by academic discussions regarding tombs, dates and texts.

Ava Estelle
02-27-2007, 11:09 AM
Can someone tell me why he is allowed to continually make comments like that. Maybe the mod who replied to it would like to comment. What are you after JP, the exclusive right to attack people on here? I've had years of shit from you, if you can't take it, stop dishing it out, because I'm not gonna sit back and take your shit. :)

Chip Monk
02-27-2007, 11:57 AM
Can someone tell me why he is allowed to continually make comments like that. Maybe the mod who replied to it would like to comment. What are you after JP, the exclusive right to attack people on here? I've had years of shit from you, if you can't take it, stop dishing it out, because I'm not gonna sit back and take your shit. :)

Arguing, even heatedly is entirely different from what you do to other people. It's what you got banned for if memory serves. Know why, because you're the only person here who really does it. Other may fight and argue, even swear at each other, get warned for it. You however, you're different.

It's mantra time again, all the posts are there for people to read. You suggesting that I attack you in the same way as you attack others, their religion or beliefs, well let's let the readers decide for themselves shall we.

Ava Estelle
02-27-2007, 12:14 PM
Arguing, even heatedly is entirely different from what you do to other people. Argue? You don't argue, you attack, accuse, dig, poke, insult ... anything to have a go, and now you're whingeing like a little girl because you don't like your own medicine.

I seem to remember you getting a fair number of warnings and bans over the years, Mr Perfect ... grow up? :)

GepperRankins
02-27-2007, 12:19 PM
Arguing, even heatedly is entirely different from what you do to other people. Argue? You don't argue, you attack, accuse, dig, poke, insult ... anything to have a go, and now you're whingeing like a little girl because you don't like your own medicine.

I seem to remember you getting a fair number of warnings and bans over the years, Mr Perfect ... grow up? :)
banning him from your own forum doesn't count :dabs:

however i have also been victim to being called racist because i have the upper hand in other threads :snooty:

Chip Monk
02-27-2007, 12:20 PM
Two I think, maybe a bit more. My best was for asking a mod if he had an unfeasibly small penis. A phrase I and others had used on a number of occassions.

There were others for sig being too big and stuff like that, however we're not really talking about that.

Never banned for the way I treat other people tho'.

What's it like the rest of the World being out of step with you. You'd think they would put more of an effort into getting in line.

Argue? You don't argue, you attack, accuse, dig, poke, insult ... anything to have a go, and now you're whingeing like a little girl because you don't like your own medicine.

banning him from your own forum doesn't count :dabs:

Never happened mate, still a member there, assuming you're talking about The Club which I believe he no longer runs. I haven't been a member of any other forum he runs.

As far as I know. :huh:

Automerged posts, what the feck is that.

Biggles
02-27-2007, 12:24 PM
:unsure:

The subject matter of this thread is purely incidental then?

Ad Hominems are entertaining though :dabs:

Chip Monk
02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
:unsure:

The subject matter of this thread is purely incidental then?

Merely a vehicle to describe Catholic Priests as paedophiles. It's a leap even for Billy, but probably the best he could come up with at short notice.

Barbarossa
02-27-2007, 12:28 PM
Automerged posts, what the feck is that.

I don't know :idunno:

sounds weird though

Ah, now I know

...and it doesn't happen in the lounge :smilie4:

Ava Estelle
02-27-2007, 12:48 PM
It's a leap even for Billy, but probably the best he could come up with at short notice. Haha, keep it up jock. :lol:

Chip Monk
02-27-2007, 12:58 PM
Well really, put a bit of effort in.

TV documentary re 10 year old discovery of tomb containing people, maybe called by very common names at the time. To Catholic Priests are paedophiles in a couple of sentences.

It's a bit obvious, mate. At least try to make sense.

Ava Estelle
02-27-2007, 01:11 PM
This was a news piece, posted today, about a doco soon to be aired.

However common the names, what's the chances of a 'Jesus' and a 'Mary Magdelene' being found together?

The comment about paedophile priests is a fair one, if the church collapsed the paedophiles would have no-one to protect them, I'm surprised you have a problem with that.

Biggles
02-27-2007, 01:29 PM
A leap of faith indeed that a documentary will dismantle the RC Church (or indeed any Christian Church) For the faithful there is a certain pride in believing 10 impossible things before breakfast and dismissing an archaeology programme hardly even counts as one of those.

The documentary, if scholarly rather than sensationalist, will be interesting (as long as there is no bleeding Celine Dion :unsure: ) but I can't see too many faltering on the way to Mass because of it - even if the thesis of the documentary is 100% spot on.

Barbarossa
02-27-2007, 01:39 PM
According to the da vinci code, jesus and mary had a daughter, so this is all bollocks if you ask me.

Biggles
02-27-2007, 02:00 PM
According to the da vinci code, jesus and mary had a daughter, so this is all bollocks if you ask me.

On the other hand I think I can see why the Vatican had concerns :shifty:

4play
02-27-2007, 02:12 PM
However common the names, what's the chances of a 'Jesus' and a 'Mary Magdelene' being found together?

Even if this really is the final resting place of jesus what significants will this have? you will often find people seem to be completely unopen to any discussion on their 100% right and perfect religion even when undeniable proof is staring them in the face.

The earth really is only 6000 years old not 4.5 billion and dinosaurs where put there by the devil. to alot of christians this is fact and will never change.

what exactly do you expect this find to change in these people? do you expect christians to suddenly think one minute if jesus never went to heaven then maybe the religion i base my life around that actually gives existence some kind of meaning for me is probably wrong?

MagicNakor
02-27-2007, 03:05 PM
This tomb was found over 10 years ago and is not exactly "news". I will watch the programme with interest - although I think I will keep a jaundiced eye on all the hype. It is very easy for good archaeology to get swamped with Da Vinci Code type nonsense.

20 years ago; I believe it was discovered in the 1980s.

:shuriken:

Biggles
02-27-2007, 03:21 PM

20 years ago; I believe it was discovered in the 1980s.

:shuriken:

Very possibly - the days and years seem to slide past at an ever-increasing pace :(

vidcc
02-27-2007, 03:41 PM
As with all things like this I cannot see how it would change the minds of the "faithful". Even if science could prove without doubt jesus was just a family man and was never crucified, the faithful would claim something like God or the Devil placed the tomb there to "test them".

The faithful will embrace as unequivocal evidence things like the cross fragments, the Turin shroud or rock formations that look like timber as being the fossilised remains of Noah's ark. The same goes in reverse for those of different or no faith.

I don't think that the period of time that has passed between discovery and claim of what the relic actually is, is that important when it comes to proof. The discovery may be old news but it needs to be studied etc. which will take time, and even then the conclusion could be wrong.

Biggles
02-27-2007, 04:12 PM
As with all things like this I cannot see how it would change the minds of the "faithful". Even if science could prove without doubt jesus was just a family man and was never crucified, the faithful would claim something like God or the Devil placed the tomb there to "test them".

The faithful will embrace as unequivocal evidence things like the cross fragments, the Turin shroud or rock formations that look like timber as being the fossilised remains of Noah's ark. The same goes in reverse for those of different or no faith.

I don't think that the period of time that has passed between discovery and claim of what the relic actually is, is that important when it comes to proof. The discovery may be old news but it needs to be studied etc. which will take time, and even then the conclusion could be wrong.

Agreed, indeed the more measured the examination and the more weighed the assessment the more comfortable I will be with the programme. I tend to get irritated with Erich Von Danikin type non sequiturs but then I am a grumpy old man in training.

bigboab
02-27-2007, 06:39 PM

Agreed, indeed the more measured the examination and the more weighed the assessment the more comfortable I will be with the programme. I tend to get irritated with Erich Von Danikin type non sequiturs but then I am a grumpy old man in training.

Does he annoy you by letting his hedge and trees grow wild?:wacko:

Religion and the lack of it are like politics. You will never sway from your side of the fence. I am testing all the religions at the moment. Just to be on the safe side.:)

Mr JP Fugley
02-27-2007, 06:46 PM
I've not read the DaVinci Code, so I can't really comment on it. I might watch this documentary, depends what else is on at the time.

Ava Estelle
03-01-2007, 04:29 AM
I've not read the DaVinci Code, so I can't really comment on it. What a short memory you have JP.

http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/lounge/t-the-davinci-code-108766

Not only did you comment on it, you started a thread to do just that. :lol:

Chip Monk
03-01-2007, 09:34 AM
I've not read the DaVinci Code, so I can't really comment on it. What a short memory you have JP.

:naughty: Thanks for that.

You really should get something to do. Start an internet forum or something. Bit of a hobby would help you out, honestly.

Biggles
03-01-2007, 09:42 AM

To be fair his opening line was "What a load of pish, I won't be reading that well"

It is also fair to say that the Da Vinci Code is just a work of fiction that some seem to think is fact. I haven't read it either although I have seen a couple of documentaries on it. I was nearly moved to give it a chance and read it because of Brian Sewell's spectacularly pompous views but decided to give him a bit of latitude as he is a bit of a fabricated caricature hinself :)

Ava Estelle
03-01-2007, 10:16 AM
You really should get something to do. Start an internet forum or something. Bit of a hobby would help you out, honestly.
Haha, I should get something to do, and this from someone with over 30,000 posts on this forum alone.

At least I get out of the house every day! :lol:

Chip Monk
03-01-2007, 01:20 PM
Haha, I should get something to do, and this from someone with over 30,000 posts on this forum alone.

At least I get out of the house every day! :lol:

Yeah but that's to get your medication and boy do we see it when you forget to take it.

Care in the community is such a cruel system. Tho' I see you're in a calm phase just now. Have they altered the dose at all.

Ava Estelle
03-01-2007, 01:48 PM
Yeah but that's to get your medication and boy do we see it when you forget to take it.

I love the way you get personal when you're caught out, that's why I save the links for when I need a laugh. Will you be making a new name any time soon? :lol:

Chip Monk
03-01-2007, 04:30 PM

I love the way you get personal when you're caught out, that's why I save the links for when I need a laugh. Will you be making a new name any time soon? :lol:

:lol: Yeah, I was getting personal there. Not having a wee laugh. Coz you caught me out after I deliberately said something ridiculous.

I was only joking earlier, but are you telling me you really do keep links. Really like. That's fan-tastic.

Can I ask you a serious question, kidding aside. Are you actually receiving therapy just now. If so I genuinely apologise, I should have been more sensitive to your special needs.

Ava Estelle
03-02-2007, 03:57 AM
Are you actually receiving therapy just now. If so I genuinely apologise, I should have been more sensitive to your special needs.
Hi sweetie, does daddy know you're using this username?

Or did he make this one up for you? :)

Chip Monk
03-02-2007, 09:06 AM
Are you actually receiving therapy just now. If so I genuinely apologise, I should have been more sensitive to your special needs.

I'm taking that as a yes.

Ava Estelle
03-02-2007, 09:22 AM

Me too. :)

jimbo12345
03-19-2007, 03:41 PM

Chip, to be fair, i thought this post, before you started protesting, was interesting, particularly as i didnt know of it.

Whatever the guy has or hasnt done, to someone quite new here but a regular reader, he's not annoyed me. Ever. And instead of discussing the topic, you fill it with pages of crap.

peat moss
03-20-2007, 02:15 AM
What are you after JP, the exclusive right to attack people on here? I've had years of shit from you, if you can't take it, stop dishing it out, because I'm not gonna sit back and take your shit. :)

Arguing, even heatedly is entirely different from what you do to other people. It's what you got banned for if memory serves. Know why, because you're the only person here who really does it. Other may fight and argue, even swear at each other, get warned for it. You however, you're different.

It's mantra time again, all the posts are there for people to read. You suggesting that I attack you in the same way as you attack others, their religion or beliefs, well let's let the readers decide for themselves shall we.

Jp , Chip Monk , what are you today Footballer ? Someone who hides behind an Id never really earns respect . Show your true colours and post under one name ,its alot easier to discount the BS. :)

Peat waits for Sybil or was that Jp 's evil twin Skippy to reply .:lol: What a Poof ! :D

http://www.lawsofwisdom.com/LawsofWisdom/chapter2.html

jimbo12345
03-21-2007, 12:13 PM
i downloaded And watched it today. Very good, and its fact that Jesus, his brother, son, wife, mom and dad are buried in the sewer of a suburban middleclass housing complex.

Keep praying.

peat moss
03-22-2007, 05:30 AM
[QUOTE=Chip Monk;1777774]

Jp , Chip Monk , what are you today Footballer ? Someone who hides behind an Id never really earns respect . Show your true colours and post under one name ,its alot easier to discount the BS. :)

Peat waits for Sybil or was that Jp 's evil twin Skippy to reply .:lol: What a Poof ! :D

I really should apolioze for this this post as it was done in bad intent , I was pissed off about about something else and feel bad about this . Mabye I should have a haitus from this forum . Like I said , sorry to Jp , Chip or any resemblance to members past or future .