PDA

View Full Version : Automerged Double Posts

Barbarossa
02-27-2007, 03:01 PM
Hawt. I like it :smilie4:

But why is it not switched on in the lounge, the part of the forum that needs it the most :unsure:

SnnY
02-27-2007, 03:11 PM
Maybe it interferes with the number counting or something?

Maybe it interferes with the number counting or something?

Just testing.

I think I broke it.

MCHeshPants420
02-27-2007, 03:13 PM
The Lounge posters are always getting special privileges. :dry:

Barbarossa
02-27-2007, 03:16 PM
It would definitely cause the number-counters some anxiety. They may resort to self-harm as a result :ermm:

Therefore, I don't see any negative aspects of switching this on in the lounge :smilie4:

tesco
02-27-2007, 10:39 PM
But why is it not switched on in the lounge, the part of the forum that needs it the most :unsure:Because if it was you would object.:)

Snee
02-27-2007, 10:48 PM
The fook we would.

Mr JP Fugley
02-27-2007, 11:22 PM
What is it.

tesco
02-27-2007, 11:43 PM
if u make more than one post within 6 hours in the same thread, where you're the last poster, it merges the psots instead of creating another.

Rip The Jacker
02-27-2007, 11:48 PM
I didn't know we had this feature. =/

Testing... if this works, I say we have it on in all sections of the board. Especially the Lounge, they could use it. =/

Virtualbody1234
02-27-2007, 11:51 PM
I agree that we should enable it in all sections.

Mr JP Fugley
02-28-2007, 12:15 AM
What a spectacularly bad idea in off-topic. Only a control freak would want that turned on there.

Fill your boots and turn it on everywhere. Another nail in the coffin ftw, that's just what the forum needs.

Snee
02-28-2007, 12:25 AM
Ok, JP would.

tesco
02-28-2007, 12:27 AM
Exactly. There's no need for it. Some people purposely post multiple times ina row anyway, no problem there imo. That's why it's off in that section.

SnnY
02-28-2007, 12:41 AM
When would anyone ever post the same thing twice?

Hang on I need to check how this thing works.

Ahh, I see. I thought it was much cleverer and it only merged posts that are identical. Because that would be really smart. Because then it'll only pick up on accidental double posts and not multiple posting.

tesco
02-28-2007, 12:54 AM
When would anyone ever post the same thing twice?

Hang on I need to check how this thing works.

Ahh, I see. I thought it was much cleverer and it only merged posts that are identical. Because that would be really smart. Because then it'll only pick up on accidental double posts and not multiple posting.There's already a feature in vbulletin that prevents you from posting the same thing twice, within 5 minutes.;)

SnnY
02-28-2007, 12:59 AM
Okay, so what's the point of this auto-mergeralizer?

Hairbautt
02-28-2007, 01:05 AM
They may resort to self-harm as a result :ermm:
I've already resorted to that, however I find it ineffective so I have move on towards harming pets and "cute" animals. /jokes. :dry:

What a spectacularly bad idea in off-topic. Only a control freak would want that turned on there. Fill your boots and turn it on everywhere. Another nail in the coffin ftw, that's just what the forum needs.
Exactly. There's no need for it. Some people purposely post multiple times ina row anyway, no problem there imo [:happy:]. That's why it's off in that section.Nice. :) I sometimes double post there just for the effect. I read this forum almost as I would read a novel w/ characters. That make sense? :huh:

Also, Lounge posts really shouldn't count towards the n00b's 20.

tesco
02-28-2007, 01:12 AM
Okay, so what's the point of this auto-mergeralizer?
To stop n00bs who post 20 posts ina row in one thread 'my 1st post' 'post2' 'this is post 3' etc. to get to 20 posts.

MCHeshPants420
02-28-2007, 02:43 AM
I'd turn it on in the Lounge, I don't think the Lounge posters deserve any more special priviliges.

manker
02-28-2007, 10:37 AM
Turn it on in the lounge if it can be used in a way that will eliminate ugly edit watermarks.

Or if it will piss off the counting retards.

If neither of the above applies, I remain pretty meh about it.

Ava Estelle
02-28-2007, 11:19 AM
To stop n00bs who post 20 posts ina row in one thread 'my 1st post' 'post2' 'this is post 3' etc. to get to 20 posts.

So why is it turned on in the Drawing Room?

We don't get n00bs very often, and none of them have ever done what you describe.

We actually need to post twice at times, as some of our threads go off at tangents.

MCHeshPants420
02-28-2007, 12:34 PM

So why is it turned on in the Drawing Room?

We don't get n00bs very often, and none of them have ever done what you describe.

We actually need to post twice at times, as some of our threads go off at tangents.

That's a very good point to be sure. Lots of time people will be answering 2 or more people's point so it makes sense to make multiple posts otherwise you'd end up with one-hideous uber-post of quotes, blue-writing et al.

Turn it off in the Drawing Room (unless it does get abused) and turn it on in the Lounge to stop the needless spammage.

Barbarossa
02-28-2007, 12:38 PM
Have an option on the Post Reply form, to say "Auto-Mergeable (Y/N). Default it to yes, but allow them to set it to no in the Drawing Room.

Ava Estelle
02-28-2007, 03:03 PM
I have this option on the Invision forums I run, but it's set to 5 minutes, just to stop the deliberate spammers.

It's also set per forum, so no problem to turn it off.

If posts need to be merged, mods can do it quite easily.

Mr JP Fugley
02-28-2007, 03:22 PM

Good point.

And also one may wish to reply to several people individually, quoting their post at the same to to make it easier for everyone to follow. e.g. Ava may wish to reply to me, then Les, then vid. He would then have three successive posts, however it would make sense to the discussion and not be spam. If anything merging those would just muddy the waters.

If anything that means it should be on in the Lounge and off in the drawing room. However why turn it on in the lounge when it would just spoil people's fun. I honestly have no problem with people posting 20 sequential numbers. Then someone else doing it. It's the spammest of spam, true, but it isn't harming anyone.

EDIT Just read Chebus and could have said "what he said" but I've posted this now.

EDIT 2 I see it's on here.

Chewie
03-01-2007, 09:57 PM
I don't think that it shoud be enabled in The Lounge as double posting is often used there for comedic effect. Effectively, too.

I don't have any problem with it working in all other areas since quoting is used properly for the most part and the auto-merge creates posts identical to ones that would be created if the multiquote button were used.

/me thinks, "blimey, that's one sentence. It looks wrong but sounds right." :s

Mr JP Fugley
03-01-2007, 10:06 PM
I don't know what the multiquote button is. However Chewie does, so if he reckons it's cool for the Drawing Room, answering a few different people in sequence, that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the clarification old bean.

nihan2k
03-02-2007, 07:10 AM
really clever.

Chewie
03-02-2007, 08:20 PM
I don't know what the multiquote button is. However Chewie does, so if he reckons it's cool for the Drawing Room, answering a few different people in sequence, that's good enough for me.

Thanks for the clarification old bean.
Oi! Not so much of the 'bean'. :(

The 'multiquote' button is the centre button of the three you see bottom right of posts.
You click it and it turns red, then click one on another post and that does, too. You click as many as you want to reply to then click the 'Post Reply' button (or whatever it says in the board skin you have set) and the 'Reply to Thread' window appears (eventually :P) with the quotes in the editbox ready for you.
What's even neater is that the quotes appear in the order you click them. This means you can quote someone's previous post after replying to their latest etc.

really clever.
That's so close to spam, I'm looking for the key to open the tin.
Try making a complete sentence... "Wow that feature is really clever and should prevent me bumping my invite request threads once I gain access!" would be better.

peat moss
03-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Gee I could of been the poster boy for this topic yesterday . :lol: I seem to have no patience when the board is slow . :whistling

Chewie
03-04-2007, 04:17 PM
Gee I could of been the poster boy for this topic yesterday . :lol: I seem to have no patience when the board is slow . :whistling
/me immediately opens peat's back catalogue looking for spam to use for an infraction that will tarnish his reputation...

peat moss
03-04-2007, 05:38 PM
Thanks Chewie , I don't need any help "Old bean" to soil my reputation . Ok not so much of the "old" please . :P

jetje
03-17-2007, 10:46 PM
I really dislike it... Sometimes it is good that after a short while you make a new last post in a section. Wich now is impossible.. I think it's a tool that's causes more inconvenient than is easy. (well maybe not for the mods)

Paint
03-23-2007, 08:49 PM
what a good feature