PDA

View Full Version : hard drive question

Hanedorm
02-27-2007, 03:04 PM
I'm thinking of buying a second internal to seed off of, being as all my current torrent info is on my main HD. Any thoughts/suggestions/alternatives to this? Also, how would seeding off of an external vs. this method compare?

Melvinmeow
02-27-2007, 03:07 PM
I'm thinking of buying a second internal to seed off of, being as all my current torrent info is on my main HD. Any thoughts/suggestions/alternatives to this? Also, how would seeding off of an external vs. this method compare?

You can simply copy and paste any info from drive1 to drive2 if needed. So that shouldnt really be an issue. Personally your better off filling the internal hd bays first before going to USB/ext. methods. Due to the fact mainly that the ext cost a bit more and arent really needed if you have free internal slots open still.

Hanedorm
02-27-2007, 03:10 PM
Awesome, thanks for the quick response. Hm. How would I know which type of internal HD to buy? and how would I know if I have the right cables for it and such? Basically, what things should I do before to make sure what I buy will be 100% installable and runnable when I get home. I know thats a lot of info to give, but, would be much appreciated =P

Melvinmeow
02-27-2007, 03:13 PM
If you look at the way the master hd is installed. Youll generally see a 2nd set of cables that look exactly like that. (Split off the main hd.) Thats for the expansion drive. You would plug those Extra cords into the new hd the same way they are plugged into the master. As far as what kind of HD to buy... any hd should do as long as its for a pc. They are generally all the same except the buffer speeds and the sizes ect...
You may have to go to the bios and tell it there is an extra drive as well as possibly have to format the new drive as well.

Hanedorm
02-27-2007, 03:14 PM
k, so it wouldn't matter if I bought an EIDE or whatever the different ones are? Would it affect my power supply?

Melvinmeow
02-27-2007, 03:16 PM
You have to make sure it can be powered yes lmao
But youll find most hds you can buy should all work for pc use anyways.
Server HD may be a bit differant but they generally stay the same for all computers.
(Never played with apple or macs before but I beleive even those stick to the same formats so to speak as windows based computers)

torrentslave
02-27-2007, 03:22 PM
heres my set up works great!

2x
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2273390&CatId=525

1x
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=564538&CatId=523

badnizzle
02-27-2007, 03:32 PM
i dont think u should have any problems with it either...
because at my work we also use like 40 - 100 usb hd...on network...and then swap out the whole usb hd to internal network drive...

it never have slow down no speed...so u should be ok.

it's worth a shot :) Good luck! :cool:

General2k
02-27-2007, 07:08 PM
That is what I have done.
I have a 250gb SATA as my master and a 160gb ATA as my slave.
The Slave is only to store stuff I have downloaded and seed back.
Although lately I have been finding that the slave is not quite enough space and have had to move some stuff to the master to seed.

Melvinmeow
02-27-2007, 10:19 PM
That is what I have done.
I have a 250gb SATA as my master and a 160gb ATA as my slave.
The Slave is only to store stuff I have downloaded and seed back.
Although lately I have been finding that the slave is not quite enough space and have had to move some stuff to the master to seed.

Welcome to the club... I can never seem to get enough hd space for all the files I want.
Then again I dont like deleting anything off my hds. I think the last time I really had to delete more than 20gigs off my hds at a time was back before last June ;) I find it easeir just buying more and more hds every month.

l337m4n
02-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Get an external HD.You can have as many as you want :).

Ratzy Rox
02-27-2007, 11:59 PM
Dont go external if you have internal space left... its just pointless clutter and more costly. You should be fine, before you buy one have a look at the existing hdd to see what cables go into it. Check to see if its a wide ribbon cable and a power cable with 4 connectors in it or a small red cable and a thin black power cable. Once youve done that check that youve got one of each cable spare.

Buy an IDE drive if you have the wide ribbon cable spare or buy a SATA drive if you have the small red one spare.

Whatever power supply you have it should be fine, hdd's dont use too much power.

weenden
02-28-2007, 12:22 AM
id go external hd i like the new seagates they cool them selfs so far no probs....but now that i said it ... you no how that goes

aburyach
02-28-2007, 12:39 AM
Multiple externals!?!?!

What a world we live in, I await the petabyte usb thumbdrive :D

vdubgeezer
02-28-2007, 01:10 AM
It depends if you want the most GB per £/$. If so go for an internal drive.

If you can't be asked with fitting it your self then just get an external drive.

If your looking to seed 24/7 of the new drive, I'd say an internal drive would be a better choice.

TooMuchTime
02-28-2007, 02:00 AM
If adding internal drives remember that heat is your enemy. Make sure the drive has adequate cooling. I've been known to mount fans inside the case blowing air on the harddisks.

Melvinmeow
02-28-2007, 12:42 PM

If you can't be asked with fitting it your self then just get an external drive.

If your looking to seed 24/7 of the new drive, I'd say an internal drive would be a better choice.

Ive been seeing the costs for USB drives coming down lately.
I seen a 500gig external for $120 just yesterday. It was from a well known company as well. Wasnt some ma and pa brand.

vdubgeezer
02-28-2007, 03:30 PM

Ive been seeing the costs for USB drives coming down lately.
I seen a 500gig external for $120 just yesterday. It was from a well known company as well. Wasnt some ma and pa brand.

Thats true, I've noticed the price coming down on USB drives.

But personally I prefer to use USB drives for backing up stuff and then switch off or for moving data between different computers.