PDA

View Full Version : software or hardware problem

The_Hunter
02-28-2007, 12:45 PM
modem says no dial tone when dialing

ok i have tried 3 modems 2 i know work and 1 new one, everyone i install loads perfect but when i try to dial in says i have not dial tone. can plug my laptop straight in with same cord and it works. i am using windows xp pro. only stopped working when i did a clean install.

no one got any ideas whats wrong

SnnY
02-28-2007, 01:17 PM
Is the phone line plugged in properly at both ends?
Have you set the dialler thingie to the right modem?

Barbarossa
02-28-2007, 01:19 PM
Install Dreamweaver, that has an inbuilt dial-up telephonic diagnostic system that will soon sort out all of your problems, including the ones you didn't even know you had. :dabs:

SnnY
02-28-2007, 02:22 PM
I hear it also does pictures. So it's a graphics editor alternative to Photoshop.

Barbarossa
02-28-2007, 02:34 PM
Its word processing capabilities are also greatly understated.

Snee
02-28-2007, 02:59 PM
modem says no dial tone when dialing

ok i have tried 3 modems 2 i know work and 1 new one, everyone i install loads perfect but when i try to dial in says i have not dial tone. can plug my laptop straight in with same cord and it works. i am using windows xp pro. only stopped working when i did a clean install.

no one got any ideas whats wrong

Is there an inbuilt modem/another modem on your mobo that may be screwing with the one you are trying to use?

If so, try and deactivate that one through the control panel>system>devices.

Also have a look whether there are any IRQ conflicts that may be messing with your setup.

Also check what Hume's says. (It should be set as an out device for dialing/sound somewhere I think, no idea where or how tho', haven't used a phone-line modem for many many years.)

And, if nothing else works, and you are sure the modem isn't working, and that you have the correct drivers and software for it, try disabling the PnP-OS option in your bios, sometimes your hardware does a better job than your os at assigning irqs.