PDA

View Full Version : bitmetv down

hanginlow72
02-28-2007, 10:21 PM
Hey can someone tell me if bitmetv is down when I go to the site to login it says something like server maintenence. I was wondering if this is happening to anybody else.

duuude
02-28-2007, 10:23 PM
Confirmed.

josephs911
02-28-2007, 10:23 PM
"Server Maintenance! Server Maintenance! Server Maintenance!
Please try back in a couple minutes."

hanginlow72
02-28-2007, 10:26 PM
thanks for the quick response

Panther
02-28-2007, 11:18 PM
its back up now

nvidia6800
02-28-2007, 11:57 PM
its down again

Army
03-01-2007, 01:09 AM
Confirmed

TaLeNDiL
03-01-2007, 01:26 AM
hope theyre not come back again.. im sick of all of its staffs, theyre idiots

lysine
03-01-2007, 01:33 AM
from the index:

We do apologise for the tracker Lag and speeds, Options are being looked at. We apologise for any downtime this may cause. Please bear with us.

//BitMeTV.org Staff

Sentient
03-01-2007, 02:55 AM
And they're being asses as usual:

remember that 3 months ago, nearly 100% of sahows were on midseason breaks, so there was no load on the tracker, and at that time, member limit was increased from about 22,000 to 25,000. then, after the member increase, all the shows came back with new episodes, and the site got slammed. my solution would be to cut the userbase back down to 22,000 or 23,000... http://picz.bitmetv.org/smilies/hmmm.gif how about we start with the whiners? also, anyone who would like to donate the $20,000 to buy all new hardware would of course be exempt from such a cullinghttp://picz.bitmetv.org/smilies/yes.gif

Three months ago, they had 24,500 members. Now they have 24,300 members. How many people do they think they're fooling?

We should start a pool to donate money in exchange for some of the stupider mods to step down (starting with this guy). Should work if we can get enough regular donors on board. :dry:

lysine
03-01-2007, 04:18 AM
I don't see why it's so hard for people to simply not use a tracker, if they dislike the admins, mods, or the way the site is run. it's very simple.

gbilly72
03-01-2007, 04:40 AM
It's probably because of member churn over the years. Now they have more active users.

Still, the site dies during peak usage. This hasn't improved in a long time.

Sentient
03-01-2007, 04:41 AM
I don't see why it's so hard for people to simply not use a tracker, if they dislike the admins, mods, or the way the site is run. it's very simple.

When your government passes a law you don't like, do you move to another country?

I think several of the mods on that site are idiots, I don't see how that's incompatible with enjoying the torrents I download there.

Buggyme
03-01-2007, 05:05 AM
Hmm, the site is timing out for me.

NYGiants
03-01-2007, 05:11 AM
it is deffinently slow 4 me 2nite but it is working

sert
03-01-2007, 07:09 AM

When your government passes a law you don't like, do you move to another country?

This was a very unfortunate example

Vercors
03-01-2007, 11:11 AM
Can't access to the site, and getting a connection error from tracker...
anyone else?

kyushizzl
03-01-2007, 11:20 AM
BitmeTv is down again!

aburyach
03-01-2007, 11:54 AM
The connection has timed out

For a second I thought I was banned...

Vercors
03-01-2007, 12:07 PM
The connection has timed outFor a second I thought I was banned...

I thought same when I saw this : "Connection Error (ConnectException:Connection Refused)"

TooMuchTime
03-01-2007, 12:25 PM

remember that 3 months ago, nearly 100% of sahows were on midseason breaks, so there was no load on the tracker, and at that time, member limit was increased from about 22,000 to 25,000. then, after the member increase, all the shows came back with new episodes, and the site got slammed. my solution would be to cut the userbase back down to 22,000 or 23,000... http://picz.bitmetv.org/smilies/hmmm.gif how about we start with the whiners? also, anyone who would like to donate the $20,000 to buy all new hardware would of course be exempt from such a cullinghttp://picz.bitmetv.org/smilies/yes.gif

Three months ago, they had 24,500 members. Now they have 24,300 members. How many people do they think they're fooling?

We should start a pool to donate money in exchange for some of the stupider mods to step down (starting with this guy). Should work if we can get enough regular donors on board. :dry:When a tracker dies from too many peers, there's no real warning. It goes from "working fine" to "not working" immediately. It seems to have to do with table locks in MySQL for the most part. So, as someone who's been in the same position as the bitmetv staff are now, I'd say maybe you should cut them a break. It's not easy to keep a site up 24/7.

C[a]N
03-01-2007, 12:29 PM
it's up...

nvidia6800
03-01-2007, 12:30 PM
its work again now

A6UAQ
03-01-2007, 01:13 PM
bitmetv alive again :D

Sentient
03-01-2007, 03:05 PM

We should start a pool to donate money in exchange for some of the stupider mods to step down (starting with this guy). Should work if we can get enough regular donors on board. :dry:When a tracker dies from too many peers, there's no real warning. It goes from "working fine" to "not working" immediately. It seems to have to do with table locks in MySQL for the most part. So, as someone who's been in the same position as the bitmetv staff are now, I'd say maybe you should cut them a break. It's not easy to keep a site up 24/7.

Hmm, two people have complained about it; that probably did come out harsher than I intended. I never did like this particular mod, however (if you can't already tell). The other admins posting have been civil and apologetic about the site delays and downtime. This guy is making up excuses and being sarcastic. Unfortunately, it makes the whole staff look bad.

Army
03-01-2007, 05:58 PM
yeh it's up

lysine
03-01-2007, 07:38 PM

that's a horrible comparison and doesn't work.

an appropriate example would be something like this. you shop at a store and are treated rudely by the employees. you dislike the way the employees are treating you, so you complain to management. management doesn't do anything about it.

do you continue shopping at that store? no, you take your business elsewhere. there's more than one store that you can shop at.

Sentient
03-01-2007, 08:50 PM

that's a horrible comparison and doesn't work.

an appropriate example would be something like this. you shop at a store and are treated rudely by the employees. you dislike the way the employees are treating you, so you complain to management. management doesn't do anything about it.

do you continue shopping at that store? no, you take your business elsewhere. there's more than one store that you can shop at.

Fine, let's use your example. There's more ways to affect change than simply complaining the management and then taking your business elsewhere. You can make them look bad in public forums, for example.

Edit: Furthermore, I would argue the latter method is far more effective. Who's going to notice 1, or even 100 members leaving a tracker of 25,000? Dozens of people, however, have viewed these posts, and many hundreds more have the capability. To say you should simply leave the tracker is a way of shutting down uncomfortable discussions. After all, do you think that most trackers delete all critical posts simply because they don't like criticism? Of course not, they don't want the ideas spreading. My way spreads knowlege that can be used as a foundation for change.

lysine
03-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Fine, let's use your example. And once again, it depends on the store. If this store is the only place to get free tv, and everywhere else I have to pay $50 for it, guess what, I stick around, continue to give them my business, and try to come up with other ways to change the management.

why do stores change management? mainly because of complaints to corporate headquarters or a loss of profit. how many complaints have you made to the administrators at bitmetv about your issues?

if the people at corporate headquarters (the administrators) don't listen to the complaints, then you have another other option. you can choose to stop doing business at that store. eventually, if enough people stop doing business at the store, it will either close, or clear out the management and replace them with new managers.

There's more ways to affect change than simply taking your business elsewhere. Making them look bad in public forums, for example.

that really works, huh? despite all the bitching I see about tvip all over forums (99% of the time, I think he comes off as an asshole too), do you see a mass exodus of users from the site? obviously the admins there read his posts and have no problem with him.

making someone look bad in public is not an effective means of change. wal-mart has been shamed for their past hiring practices, making employees work overtime without paying for overtime, and a number of other ethical and moral problems they have. yet it's still the world's number one retailer. most people are willing to look the other way if they're getting a product they want at the price they want.

My way spreads knowlege that can be used as a foundation for change.

all I see is bitching, with no offering of other solutions, there is absolutely no knowledge being spread in these posts that bitch about things. there are other television trackers out there, why not offer them as an alternative? start contributing at one of those, and encourage everyone else that has a problem to do the same.

Sentient
03-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Firstly, there is a personal embarassment factor. Perhaps it doesn't bother tvip to see his name dragged through the mud all over the torrent scene, but it may make the next asshole mod think twice.

Secondly, take it from someone who has seen actual exoduses (FTN's split from ScT for example): it begins with users complaining about staff. Next, uploaders start getting pissed off (and this second stage has been reached at bitmetv, by the way). Finally other staff get pissed off, and use their far more considerable weight in the torrent community to affect change. It's a process, and I'm sorry it appears to you as just "bitching" unless either tvip or I leave immediately, but the real world doesn't work like that.

Edit:

making someone look bad in public is not an effective means of change.

I'll let the utter ridiculousness of this quote stand on it's own merit (or lack thereof). Are you seriously unaware of a single instance of a company being publicly shamed into corrective action?

mexicankungfu
03-01-2007, 11:52 PM
site has been hit hard lately, getting timeout to tracker all the time.

Mareko
03-02-2007, 02:34 AM
tvip is quite nice once you get to know him :P
(although he wouldn't want anyone knowing that, lol)

carbon75
03-03-2007, 06:03 AM
Part of the reason BitMeTV gets hit so hard is that many users wait for shows to be uploaded. In order to get on the torrents early they keep refreshing the torrent pages a few times a minute.
Lots of users use RSS and that really is the best method for getting regular shows.

Sentient
03-03-2007, 06:18 AM
Yea more people should use RSS, although it's a huge pain to set up at most private trackers. And then if your filter's even a little off, you can really screw your ratio

I think putting an announce bot in the IRC channel with direct links to the torrents would be helpful.

teeniedeenie
03-13-2007, 04:01 AM
With all the problems this site is having, is it still the premier private torrent site for tv? It's sooo hard to get invites...if it's not a well moderated site, do you think it's worth the effort?

djkamikaze
03-17-2007, 02:14 AM
it's a HEAVILY-Moderated site, not a "not-well-moderated site". dealing with the sheer number of members they have is probably the reason one or some of the staff come across as rude. As for tequilavip, he'll openly admit he's an asshole -if you deserve it. About that post of his about "culling" the membership levels, I think it was more of a joke than seriously intended(Members there may recall last year's site-wide april-fools joke about cutting 10,000 accounts via a random lottery to reduce the load on their server) , and the site slowdowns were always occuring in the hour or two when shows like "lost", "prison break" and "24" were being uploaded, so there was at least one valid point there about the source of the server-overload.

Anyway, whatever they did, the site is up & running fine for the last week or so

Sentient
03-17-2007, 05:10 AM
it's a HEAVILY-Moderated site, not a "not-well-moderated site". dealing with the sheer number of members they have is probably the reason one or some of the staff come across as rude.

Dam, they changed this in their latest rules revision a few days ago, but for the past 6 months I've been a member, the Request section rules stated something to this affect:

Making a bad request will get you warned. A second bad request will get your account disabled, and your IP banned.

So even though it's possible to disable someone's access to the request section, Bitmetv's stated policy was to treat people who made two bad requests like cheaters. I generally hold (held) the above statement up as an example of the quality of moderating you can expect at bitmetv. It's not just a heavily-moderated site, it's a terribly-moderated site.

Sentient
03-17-2007, 04:43 PM
Sorry, couldn't resist emphasizing this gem to lysine, and anyone else who just take threads like this to be ineffective bitching:

tequilavip is becoming too lenient
back in the day it was ban ban ban
now it is just ban ban
whatever happened to you man!?
:'-(I've been trying to be nicer since I've been reading forums about myself all over the internet. apparently I'm an asshole. A semi-famous one, too. I have forum threads dedicated to myself on other torrentsites and torrent forums all over the place.:w00t:
who says you can't get famous being ruthless to people?

Tbh, I have yet to see many fruits of this labor, but at least he's acknowleging it's having some effect.

ibslice
03-18-2007, 11:08 PM
Ahh he is a good guy and works very hard on the forums. It gets difficult though, after a while when you get a lot of cheaters and abusive members. He has coped quite well considering the volume of posts. If you had to mod bmtv for 6 months, I doubt you would still be sane. :lol: oh and yes, the site is running rather nicely now, don't you think :) Prepare for it running even better soon. ;)

Sentient
03-20-2007, 12:17 AM
ah ibslice. If you weren't defending tvip, I'd swear you were an imposter. This is the real Ibslice:

@ mlb06uk . Rather than complaining, how about write a new innovative secure form of RSS. Whats that? You don't know how? Then shut it.

In response to someone asking when RSS will be back up. Guy got a warning too. I mean really, how dare he ask such a thing? Doesn't he know Ibslice is far too busy bragging about site updates "coming soon" all over the internet? And don't these stupid users know bitmetv measures time differently than everyone else? It doesn't just apply to seeding, features that were disabled in October have been "coming soon" for the past 6 months.

I guess they disable people so quickly there, they're surprised anyone still remembers promises made so long ago.

djkamikaze
03-21-2007, 11:45 AM
lol, no wonder the staff get pissed off! buddy, you need to stop posting out of context... the quote you just put up is about 30-40 posts into a thread where people were posting comments like "Just get RSS back up, rss is more important than the site itself! without rss, I don't even want to use bitmetv!" besides that, what kind of little baby goes copying and pasting comments from a private site anyway?
OK, I'll be a baby too: I'll join in with quotes of what some really stupid people were saying that was pissing off their staff that day:
"I think RSS is about 10x more important than the website itself. They should take the images off the website, or change some design, or take the website off the web."
"Just wanted to add... I'm missing RSS feeds also. if i had to decide RSS feeds over Wbsite, RSS would win.. How about a poll?"
"Seriously though, while my ratio is still good, it kinda stopped marching steadily towards 3 ever since RSS went down, heh."

I mean, after those kind of stupid comments, wouldn't you want to slap the people posting them?

So what did you do to get them pissed off at you, sentient? You seriously sound like you have an axe to grind with the staff there. I've found them pretty hard-working and fair, myself. Even tequilavip is fun to watch as he hunts down idiots to ban ;-)

edit:NOW I see why the staff there piss you off!!! since you are posting quotes from their forums, that means you MUST already be a member there... BUT in other threads you are asking for bitmetv invites:

Re: 500th post Giveaway
Could I have the bitmetv invite?
I don't have oink, but I have two level 5 trackers with excellent ratios that I can show you in PM.
this means you either:
-got banned from bitmetv and now want a new account (which will get ther person who invites you into trouble)
-are trying to get ANOTHER bitmetv account because you are an account or invite SELLER on ebay
-are planning to do something that you think MIGHT get you banned there, and want another backup account

no matter which one it is, FST staff should ban you for being a scammer, Sentient, since anyone giving you a bitmetv invite to a second account will get banned from there as well. Not cool at all, dude!

edit2: damn, when browsing your posts, I see you aren't even ashamed to admit it:

Seriously. I believe I'm on my 6th bitmetv account (lost count:P ). One account, per person, per lifetime my ass. They might as well instruct the userbase that they may only sneeze on Tuesdays.did you ever consider that the people giving you those invites are probably gettting banned too? Anybody who gives you an invite to ANY torrent site is asking for trouble...

ibslice
03-21-2007, 12:02 PM
Corrent. It was totally out of context. Those who have seen me post know I rarly talk like that to anyone. Number 1. I didn't warn the person. Its a lie to say I did. I didn't speak like that in response to a general question, I posted that in the shoutbox in response to.

WHEN IS RSS GONNA BE BACK UP?!?!

THIS IS BEYOND A JOKE TO BE HONEST....

RSS by nature is insecure, it's nothing to do with bitmetv.
Secondly. I haven't been posting all over the internet.
I mentioned it on our OWN site and once here. I would hardly call that all over the internet. Please have your facts straight before spreading lies next time.
Thirdly. Hi all, I see FST is comming along nicely. Keep up the good work. :)

Sentient
03-21-2007, 08:48 PM
So Bitmetv staff complain about me, and FST disables privileges on my account. Good to see FST is continuing in it's trend of sucking up to sites, perhaps in an attempt to become another TPG? Who cares about the type of members that made this site popular when you're getting a thumbs up from VIPs like Ibslice? It's no skin off my back, I gave far more in the invites section than I ever took from it.

FYI, I did not have an account at the time I asked for that invite. I get banned regularly from Bitmetv as I usually trade for an account (something that is regularly done here, the horror!), and I guess staff eventually notice the odd IP behavior on the account and ban it. And as long as you're looking at my post history, notice I don't have any problems with any other sites. I was originally banned for inviting two cheaters, I've never cheated, nor have I ever maintained a ratio less than 1.

djkamikaze: Please spare me the "tired, weary staff" routine. Do you think Bitmetv is the only staff I or the rest of the userbase have ever interacted with? FSC staff for example have staffed the site for more than two years, and other sites before it. Not even once have I ever seen them be anything but polite and patient. FSC isn't as big you say? Fine, how about Supertorrents (15k members) or Torrentbytes (50k members) and several other sites I probably don't even know about, all with a friendly, helpful staff. Bitmetv staff is laughed at and ridiculed throughout the torrent community, as tequilavip himself admits.

Perhaps Bitmetv just attracts more stupid users? Well, Bitmetv has certainly banned enough good members to make that a definite possibility.
Maybe I'm not "leet" enough, but although I have been torrenting for years, I derive no pleasure in watching tvip torment newbies. I leave it as an exercise to the reader to determine who is really the "little baby" here, the person who takes joy in abusing new users, or the person expressing disgust at this childish and silly behavior.

And I fail to see how I'm a scammer for asking for another invite. As you point out, I make no secret of my multiple bans from bitmetv, and I even include a bitmetv icon in my sig. Anyone doing even the bare minimum of research would immediately know that I'm a risk to invite to the site.
Ibslice: I'm sorry if you didn't warn the person, the person was warned when I checked his profile, and I (wrongly, apparently) assumed it was for that comment.

The quote was not out of context, however, it was an exact and full quote of what you wrote, and I didn't even have to search through your post logs to find it. You "coincidentally" talked to someone like that to someone on the very day I made that post even though you rarely talk like to anyone like that. Right. Even were that true (I might concede you're a moderate voice on a site filled with assholes), you countenance tvip's and c4's rude remarks every single day.

By the way, no defense of your old request section policy? Or can even you guys not sell with a straight face that people were hacking back into their accounts to make bad requests until you IP banned them?

ibslice
03-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Sigh.. I did not complain about you. I am also not VIP. Damn FACTS MAN FACTS!!

Sentient
03-22-2007, 03:27 AM
Sigh.. I did not complain about you. I am also not VIP. Damn FACTS MAN FACTS!!

Actually, tracker admins like you are precisely the sort of Very Important People this site's staff like to suck up to.

(Incorrectly referred to djkamikaze as staff out of laziness more than anything, he's obviously close to staff anyway as he was granted Elite status on Bitmetv (without donating))

djkamikaze
03-22-2007, 06:02 AM
what I meant to post was, I doubt tequilavip ever said or implied that staff at bitmetv are ridiculed in the torrent community, (FACTS MAN FACTS!!) but rather people that go around opening 6+ accounts at private sites are held in low esteem by torrent site staff, and most honest members. Anyway, once again I apologize for the multiple posts, apparently FST was experiencing some of what this thread's topic is all about, lol.

djkamikaze
03-22-2007, 06:03 AM
oops

djkamikaze
03-22-2007, 06:04 AM
sorry, site was laggy, didn't mean to double/triple post

Sentient
03-22-2007, 02:24 PM
what I meant to post was, I doubt tequilavip ever said or implied that staff at bitmetv are ridiculed in the torrent community, (FACTS MAN FACTS!!) but rather people that go around opening 6+ accounts at private sites are held in low esteem by torrent site staff, and most honest members. Anyway, once again I apologize for the multiple posts, apparently FST was experiencing some of what this thread's topic is all about, lol.

In that case, to quote your favorite mod, "READ THE WHOLE THREAD!!?!!" On the previous page of this thread, I've quoted him saying just that: http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/p-bitmetv-down-post1830310/postcount38

In case you doubt the context, it was found on bitmetv forums here: forums.php?action=viewtopic&topicid=18150&page=1#258135

djkamikaze
03-23-2007, 05:55 AM
still don't see what you are talking about
tequilavip saying he found it amusing that he ahs read about himself here and saw you are badmouthing him? I asked him about that, and he said you're just pissed cause he's found & disabled at least 4 of your accounts there: goodface, tvshowrocking, puli, and pyronic.

a note to potential readers: if you invited any of those 4 usernames to any sites, you may want to contact staff there before they find out and ban you as well as sentient.

JA
03-23-2007, 07:02 AM
Why bother, Bitmetv staff=Jerks.

Sentient
03-23-2007, 01:52 PM
still don't see what you are talking about
tequilavip saying he found it amusing that he ahs read about himself here and saw you are badmouthing him?

What, are you hoping people won't click my link, or read the previous page in the thread?

I've been trying to be nicer since I've been reading forums about myself all over the internet. apparently I'm an asshole. A semi-famous one, too. I have forum threads dedicated to myself on other torrentsites and torrent forums all over the place.
(Emphasis mine)

As in not just here, everywhere. And I've seen it myself at least two other places.

JessicaAlba is right, this is pretty much a settled topic, and I think this thread has done its job in adding to the existing body of knowledge.

ibslice
03-24-2007, 12:46 AM
Not really. At least we are honest where as you and Jessica flame people for no reason and tell lies based on assumptions. Maybe as you both get older you will learn to understand and show goodwill towards others without flaming. Nothing staff have done were without a reaction to bad or insulting action. a couple of days ago Jessica PM'd me on here asking for help. I would have been happy to help if I hadn't seen he had already said:
JessicaAlba ScT4LyF JessicaAlba's Avatar Join Date: Oct 2006 Location: Sydney Posts: 1,750 Trading Rep: +50 australia Re: have bitmetv? dont post it here will be disabled no matter what. Don't Worry, lbslice is generally retarded and is a disgrace to Australians Of course I was insulted by this as this comment was made before I was even a member here. To insult me first and THEN ask for me help. Well If thats the kind of people you 2 are then its a sad day for torrent users.

djkamikaze
03-25-2007, 02:31 AM
What, are you hoping people won't click my link, or read the previous page in the thread?

I've been trying to be nicer since I've been reading forums about myself all over the internet. apparently I'm an asshole. A semi-famous one, too. I have forum threads dedicated to myself on other torrentsites and torrent forums all over the place.
(Emphasis mine)

As in not just here, everywhere. And I've seen it myself at least two other places.

JessicaAlba is right, this is pretty much a settled topic, and I think this thread has done its job in adding to the existing body of knowledge.
yeah, I read that ,and you obviously have a hard time understanding sarcasm or the english language...In that thread @ bitmetv he takes pleasure in being known as an asshole. by no means does he state (as you did) that staff at bitmetv are ridiculed in the torrent community as a whole. From what I have seen on the forums of most private torrent sites, they are fairly well respected in fact, and on several occasions actions they have taken have been repeated at other private trackers, such as the ban on bitcomet and on utorrent beta 483, and they also have been known to share info on cheaters with other torrent site staff to get these people banned globally.

-of course they are disresepcted by people who cheat, or who have multiple accounts, since those people invariably get banned.

edit: glad to see this thread stay on-topic :lol:

Sentient
03-25-2007, 06:12 AM
Nothing staff have done were without a reaction to bad or insulting action.
Well I think I covered how poorly I think of the excuse that staff is rude because they tire of dealing with idiots all day, and it went without comment. As did my two previous mentions of your nonsensical request section policy.

djkamikaze: At this point, I have to hope you are being intentionally dense. This thread, like others all over the torrent scene, ridicules the propensity of bitmetv staff member tequilavip to be an asshole. If other bitmetv staff don't like being tarred with the same brush, they should do something about him.

Anyway, if he takes pleasure in it, and this is the image bitmetv staff like to present, what is the problem? What's there to get so defensive about? If he likes to be known as an asshole, then this thread furthers that aim.

Edit: Yes, some trackers emulate bitmetv policies. Others laugh at them. But Bitmetv staff, and tvip in particular, are universally known to be obnoxious and insufferable.

W13
03-25-2007, 08:44 PM
So is bitmetv back up again? I have been chasing an invite to that site for a long time.

djkamikaze
05-25-2007, 04:15 AM
So is bitmetv back up again? I have been chasing an invite to that site for a long time.

lol, since your account there was closed for inactivity about 18 months ago, you might just want to visit their irc channel and ask politely that it be re-enabled. Anyone giving you an invite to a enw account will likely be banned along with you since they only allow one account per lifetime.

Sentient
05-25-2007, 09:41 PM
since they only allow one account per lifetime.

Yes, that rule is very cute :D

djkamikaze
05-25-2007, 11:15 PM
sure, you can get a new invite here through FST, but you'll also get people who invite you banned along the way.