PDA

View Full Version : Games 'make drivers go faster'

Colt Seevers
03-02-2007, 03:27 AM
http://img47.imageshack.us/img47/8572/bbc9ne.gifMore than a third of young drivers are more likely to go faster on the roads after playing on-screen driving games, a survey suggests. And 27% of motorists aged 16 to 24 admitted more risk-taking on the road after a gaming session.

A thousand drivers were questioned on behalf of driving school BSM.
BSM's road safety consultant Robin Cummins said the results showed an 'indisputable' link between gaming and dangerous driving.

A quarter of drivers even said they imagine they are in a driving simulation game while driving for real - men are the worst offenders for this.

:source: Source: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6410061.stm
:pic: Screenshot: http://jobbie.games.googlepages.com/nfsmw.jpg

peat moss
03-02-2007, 03:34 AM
Commercials are guilty as well , notice they have the old don't try this at home or stunt driver on a closed road . Zoom Zoom !

BawA
03-02-2007, 08:25 AM
kinda true, it happens to me but not since i finished N4S:Carbon :lol:

backlash
03-02-2007, 02:17 PM
Commercials are guilty as well , notice they have the old don't try this at home or stunt driver on a closed road . Zoom Zoom !

this is very true. Seems like every car commercial shows things you would never do with the car it's showing. That new Toyota Tundra commercial that I've seen a million times already stops just inches before the road ends and there's a huge cliff. yeah right.

Virtualbody1234
03-02-2007, 03:21 PM
I thought this was going to be about video card drivers. :lookaroun

Hairbautt
03-02-2007, 05:17 PM
I thought this was going to be about video card drivers. :lookaroun
I thought so too at first.

As to the article, that is an interest link. I've been told that the Tampa Bay area is like rated among the top 10 most dangerous places to drive and as far as I can see - it is well earned. I've seen some really stupid shit on the roads and I maybe male and 19 yrs. old, but my common sense has me driving safe. Some people tho' just arn't smart I guess...:dry: Especially when it comes to putting distance between vehicles.

maxehhh
03-02-2007, 06:42 PM
i thought the same, but then i read that and i think its happening to me too when i quit Top Spin 2...

DefX
03-02-2007, 08:41 PM
I don't know about this. Ive driven in all the GTA games for countless of hours and I never felt that this led me to be more reckless once i'm in driver seat of my own car. Maybe because i'm an aggressive (but safe) driver in the first place.

Hairbautt
03-02-2007, 08:47 PM
I don't know about this. Ive driven in all the GTA games for countless of hours and I never felt that this led me to be more reckless once i'm in driver seat of my own car. Maybe because i'm an aggressive (but safe) driver in the first place.
Hmmm...aggressive, but safe. I like that, but I'd say I'm more defensive and safe. Tho' I do beleive in "filling the gaps" (speeding to catch up).

DefX
03-02-2007, 11:50 PM
Hmmm...aggressive, but safe. I like that, but I'd say I'm more defensive and safe. Tho' I do beleive in "filling the gaps" (speeding to catch up).

Yeah it is annoying when some drivers take their time in the speed lane. Causes irate drivers to go out of their way to overtake there4 more chances for accidents.

Hairbautt
03-03-2007, 12:16 AM

Yeah it is annoying when some drivers take their time in the speed lane. Causes irate drivers to go out of their way to overtake there4 more chances for accidents.
Ever have a Semi-Truck or other large in the fast lane? :dry: FFS, really...

silent h3ro
03-04-2007, 12:00 AM
Commercials are guilty as well , notice they have the old don't try this at home or stunt driver on a closed road . Zoom Zoom !That new Toyota Tundra commercial that I've seen a million times already stops just inches before the road ends and there's a huge cliff. yeah right.Lol, I saw that commercial too but it was made to show it's braking power with a 10,000 pound trailer (you would be dumb to really be driving like that with a big trailer).

I will have to admit, too, that video games do make me a more aggressive, faster driver but I love playing my racing games. :)