PDA

View Full Version : Guide to Seeding in OiNK

StriderZ
03-04-2007, 12:05 PM
I've heard a lot of people having trouble seeding in oink. I did too at first, but now I can maintain a 5+ ratio there easily :D. And if you don't have many of your own unique CD's to rip properly and upload, maintaining a ratio can be a hassle. Here's how you do it for those who don't know:

1. Go to the "Requests" page and sort the list by # of votes
2. Remember as many of the artists on the top of the list as you can.
EDIT: Or you can add a vote to the request and let the system inform you when it's filled :) Though this is not as fast as checking the search page, since sometimes requests are filled without the uploader acknowledging it on the requests page.
3. Type in "2007" in the search box and enter the search.
4. Look out for the artists from step 2 and also torrents that have 10+ leechers.
5. Download the torrents from step 4 ONLY if they're under half an hour (at MAX) old, especially if your upload speed isn't that great.
If you missed the half hour mark, remember the artist of the torrent(s) that have 10+ leechers and catch the next release before the swarm hits it.
6. Refresh your "2007"-filtered page and repeat :)

TooMuchTime
03-04-2007, 12:16 PM
Step 5 is the important one there, yes.

Xtremist
03-04-2007, 12:46 PM
thats a good idea

and i warn the fake uploaders U will be caught

prima1
03-04-2007, 12:53 PM
why not just add your votes constantly to the top 100-200 voted requests and wait for the system message to inform you that the request has been filled and then you can jump on it?

RainRoofer
03-04-2007, 03:39 PM
"If you missed the half hour mark, remember the artist of the torrent(s) that have 10+ leechers and catch the next release before the swarm hits it."
Dont get this part about swarm, please explain.

DoctorX
03-04-2007, 06:05 PM
nice instruction

chaptorrent
03-04-2007, 06:48 PM
great idea

pistachionut
03-04-2007, 07:38 PM
This will only work about 1/2 the time. The best OiNK ratio bet is uploading E-Learning material or comic books.

maxehhh
03-04-2007, 08:51 PM
i will do that when i get a OiNK acc :P

a_jackson
03-04-2007, 09:29 PM
also remember to keep updating the tracker to get more peers

StriderZ
03-04-2007, 09:53 PM
why not just add your votes constantly to the top 100-200 voted requests and wait for the system message to inform you that the request has been filled and then you can jump on it?

Good idea, I forgot about that one :)

"If you missed the half hour mark, remember the artist of the torrent(s) that have 10+ leechers and catch the next release before the swarm hits it."
Dont get this part about swarm, please explain.

The swarm basically refers to a large group of leechers. You want to get to it before the swarm hits it because you don't want them to be 80% done with the torrent when you just barely started

Ligeia
03-05-2007, 03:50 AM
I have maintained pretty good success on a much simpler basis. I either:

a) Upload my own albums
b) Grab something I'm interested in within the first minute it's available.

StriderZ
03-05-2007, 07:36 AM
I have maintained pretty good success on a much simpler basis. I either:

a) Upload my own albums
b) Grab something I'm interested in within the first minute it's available.

Thanks for the feedback, but thats why I mentioned that these tips are more useful if you don't have your own albums to upload like myself ;)

Marconis
03-05-2007, 08:46 AM
thanks for the tips

TooMuchTime
03-05-2007, 11:52 PM
also remember to keep updating the tracker to get more peersEvery time you do that, you increment a count on your user record. One of these days we're going to sort that in descending order and the people on the top of the list are in for a rude awakening. We get 1.4 million announces per day from people hitting "update tracker" rather than waiting.

Mori
03-06-2007, 12:35 AM
thnx for da nice information

peroduarocks
03-06-2007, 12:50 AM
Cheers for the info, I don't have any CD's to rip either. :(

vampireman
03-06-2007, 02:50 AM
Step 5 is the important one , thx

StriderZ
03-06-2007, 05:01 PM
also remember to keep updating the tracker to get more peersEvery time you do that, you increment a count on your user record. One of these days we're going to sort that in descending order and the people on the top of the list are in for a rude awakening. We get 1.4 million announces per day from people hitting "update tracker" rather than waiting.
Uh Oh, better stop doing that :yup:

freakyflow7
03-07-2007, 03:54 AM
Thanks for the tips! I was/am having trouble maintaining a good ratio there. What about RSS feeds and what about searching the log for these highly requested albums!

StriderZ
03-10-2007, 06:34 AM
nvm

StriderZ
03-10-2007, 06:39 AM
nvm

StriderZ
03-10-2007, 06:40 AM
Thanks for the tips! I was/am having trouble maintaining a good ratio there. What about RSS feeds and what about searching the log for these highly requested albums!

Well searching the log is about the same as leaving your search page on "2007" RSS feeds are usually 15 minute checks if I'm correct? I find that too be too slow, as I tend to constantly refresh the search page while I'm doing other things online. Plus it might be tough to set up depending on how the uploader names his/her torrent. But if you get it set up, it would be quite helpful indeed :)

ghurka
03-10-2007, 11:47 AM
Like everyone else I find it difficult seeding at oink but I thought your suggestion was excellent and tried it out. Found a well requested cd which had only recently been uploaded and jumped on it.

Got up the next morning and found some b*st*rd at oink had removed the torrent which left me with a 0.5 ratio on that torrent. Feel like you can't win on that site!

n0n3
03-10-2007, 05:19 PM
nice guide striderz86.thx

unacceptable
03-10-2007, 08:28 PM
thanx for the guide.

stealth_SS8
03-10-2007, 09:50 PM
7. Go to the library and rent some albums.
8. Burn them in a few diff formats.
9. Seed seed seed!

dawsonkm
03-10-2007, 11:44 PM
Thanks for the guide striderz86

StriderZ
03-11-2007, 09:23 AM
Like everyone else I find it difficult seeding at oink but I thought your suggestion was excellent and tried it out. Found a well requested cd which had only recently been uploaded and jumped on it.

Got up the next morning and found some b*st*rd at oink had removed the torrent which left me with a 0.5 ratio on that torrent. Feel like you can't win on that site!

:pinch: Had the exact same thing happen to me yesterday, except I have a considerable buffer so it was ok. I started out in oink seeding a quite popular artist, whose album was released about a week ago at that time. Despite that there were already 150+ seeders and under 50 leechers, I've uploaded 3+ GB's of that album since , a ratio of 35+ on that torrent :naughty:. Lets hope one of the top 10 requested albums get released soon eh? You can always try to download as many popular albums as you can from other sites and then seed them constantly, maybe that'll work

Mïcrösöül°V³
03-11-2007, 11:40 AM
hmm. I know someone who was sharing some albums at oink that he ripped himself following all the rules they have for uploading, and one admin or mod deleted one of his torrents saying "that band sucks". I think they have a rogue moron over there who thinks that all the genres of music should be to his/her liking, which is retarded, but oh well. I do like the tips in this post tho. I usually just grab one album a year from there and wind up having to seed it for like 3 months :lol: When I grab another I'll try to implement the tatics posted, aside from manually announcing, which is stupid, and I know, I run a tracker. You dont pick up more peers, you just see them faster, when the announce interval passes, they will be there anyways. Hammering the tracker isnt good. Its a noob thing I guess :)

maxehhh
03-13-2007, 06:03 PM
mmmm, i don't undertand :$, i fill the request with 2007, then sort the votes and wait until somebody upload them? or find them in the "internet" :P