PDA

View Full Version : should I pay for NewsLeecher and Newzbin?

BigH
03-05-2007, 09:16 AM
having been a torrent user for the last 6 months, yesterday I decided to try out Usenet, and am pretty damn impressed so far.

I chose to use NewsLeecher, and to get to use the Super Search facility, I decided to subscribe (about $3 p/mnth).

But, found it a real drag when searching, for say, a particular episode of Battlestar and being presented with all the RAR and PAR files, not knowing if I was going to miss a file out, and therefore have an incomplete file.

So signed up with Newzbin (about $ 2 per month), which is great.

So, my question is, if I've no need for the SuperSearch with NewsLeecher, should I unsubscribe? Will I lose any other facilities of the program which I'll need.

We're not talking about a lot of money here, but no point in wasting it.

Thanks

asfdlq3i45poi
03-05-2007, 11:50 PM
I wouldn't pay for Supersearch. Just use binsearch.info or newzleech.com.

riceboi
03-06-2007, 12:08 AM
i use both newzbin and supersearch .. its a good combo for results!

webe123
03-06-2007, 12:50 AM
i use both newzbin and supersearch .. its a good combo for results!

DITTO on both newzbin and supersearch...they ARE worth it.

asfdlq3i45poi
03-06-2007, 12:54 AM
Well, if you think these services are worth it, go ahead. It's your money. I just don't think these search services are much better than free alternatives. Nothing against these payed services. Just not my brand of vodka. I'm sure you understand.

delimare
03-06-2007, 03:11 AM
We're not talking about a lot of money here

Exactly. Pay the extra money for Super Search. It presents you with what you want and all you need to do is highlight the files you need, right click and left click leech. It will save you a minute or so each search rather than loading files up on a search site and then creating a NZB file for Newsleecher to use.

My time is precious because I have ADD, and I have disposable income.

BigH
03-06-2007, 05:29 AM
thanks all - think I'll stick with both

zot
03-06-2007, 06:14 PM
I think that subscribing to Newzbin.com website access might be well worth the money, since the site offers a lot of features, but paying for Newsleecher's "supersearch" is probably in my opinion a big waste of money because you can get the same thing (and better) for free.

If you use the free binary grabber software Alt.Binz , it has SEVEN search engines built-in, including Newsleecher's "supersearch". And the best thing is that it is totally free.

www.altbinz.com

My own preference is to use the free version of V3.Newzbin.com to look up titles, combined with free search sites like Newzleech.com and Binsearch.info to download the NZB file.

NRGFreak
03-06-2007, 09:20 PM
Been using newzbin for as long as I can remember so I highly recommand that :)

WHiKWiRE
03-06-2007, 11:45 PM
Just come here and either Me, Towerblocks or Athlon64 will hook you up.:P

BigH
03-07-2007, 10:28 AM

cheers :)

changed my mind and cancelled the Newsleecher sub, and just pay for Newzbin

How on earth can people use the Supersearch? Say, if I search for Heroes 01x18, lots of RAR files come up - surely I may miss some out when downloading or add extra ones that aren't necessary.

Can't see how it works efficiently (unlike Newzbin where you can click on a single NZLB (sp?) and all the work is done for you)

Or perhaps I'm missing something.............

link2009
03-07-2007, 08:53 PM
Can I somehow pay for Newzbin with PayPal? :x

zot
03-07-2007, 09:00 PM
How on earth can people use the Supersearch? Say, if I search for Heroes 01x18, lots of RAR files come up - surely I may miss some out when downloading or add extra ones that aren't necessary.

Can't see how it works efficiently (unlike Newzbin where you can click on a single NZLB (sp?) and all the work is done for you)

The last time I used Newzleecher's search it listed all the part files - and I suspect it still does. This is very messy compared to other FREE search services that group all the file parts into a single collection to download.

Alt.Binz uses several of these sites that pre-group search results, so you don't have to look at a flood of rar part-files.

http://img183.imageshack.us/img183/6578/altbcb4.jpg

Does NewsLeecher group files like this?

BigH
03-08-2007, 01:02 PM

The last time I used Newzleecher's search it listed all the part files - and I suspect it still does. This is very messy compared to other FREE search services that group all the file parts into a single collection to download.

Alt.Binz uses several of these sites that pre-group search results, so you don't have to look at a flood of rar part-files.

no, Newsleecher doesn't group them - just lists all files individually

time to change my newsreader methinks

thanks

zot
03-08-2007, 08:02 PM
I think a lot of people would give up Newsleecher's for-pay search service if they even tried Alt.Binz

I myself prefer using the websites themselves to generate NZBs, as they offer features missing in the newsclient searches.

delimare
03-09-2007, 01:02 AM
as they offer features missing in the newsclient searches.

Like what?

webe123
03-09-2007, 10:09 AM

cheers :)

changed my mind and cancelled the Newsleecher sub, and just pay for Newzbin

What are you talking about? Supersearch is DEFINATELY worth it! It finds things you don't find on newzbin! Also if you use newsleecher,you can just right click and choose "smart select"and ALL of the necessary files are going to be downloaded...I also use "smart select"on PAR files too,in case I need them....but a lot of times it isn't necessary....And if you are worried about downloading a few extra headers with all the speeds newsgroups have, I feel sorry for you.

I guess you have never used newsleecher and did "smart select"? It ALSO groups all those files into one group,then downloads those headers it selected together! Really not that hard to do. But if you use a reader like Grabit,I don't know if you can do this....another reason why it is good to get a decent newsreader.

Well, if you think these services are worth it, go ahead. It's your money. I just don't think these search services are much better than free alternatives. Nothing against these payed services. Just not my brand of vodka. I'm sure you understand.

Well that may be your opinion, but I beg to differ! I have never gotten the free services to index files like newzbin! Period!

That alone makes it worth it to me.

asfdlq3i45poi
03-09-2007, 09:23 PM
Well that may be your opinion, but I beg to differ! I have never gotten the free services to index files like newzbin! Period!

Well, you may beg to differ, but I beg to differ even more! What are you talking about indexing files? All the usenet search sites index the contents of the usenet. All Newzbinz does is pretty up the titles and puts them in categories. Yeah, that's really worth $3.19 per month or however much it costs :rolleyes:

mrgreaper
03-12-2007, 03:04 AM
new to this but paid for newsleacher and giganews dont regret it in the slightest, supersearch and newsleecher is the secondbest searcher and usenet client i have seen (the first going to usenext that download wizard of theres is perfaction shame there service is limited and expensive)

webe123
03-12-2007, 09:23 AM

Well, you may beg to differ, but I beg to differ even more! What are you talking about indexing files? All the usenet search sites index the contents of the usenet. All Newzbinz does is pretty up the titles and puts them in categories. Yeah, that's really worth $3.19 per month or however much it costs :rolleyes:

Mabye to YOU it is not worth it, but the free sites suck in my opinion. They simply do not put the files in neatly organized catagories like newzbin does.

If you want to go ahead and search through headers or sites you have to create your own NZB files because you don't want to pay three bucks a month, fine with me. I could care less!

janwillem_80
03-13-2007, 09:18 PM
newzbin rocks :D.. I second you NRGFREAK

whiteboy
03-15-2007, 04:56 AM
I use newzbin for my reader but paying money:P

saulin
03-15-2007, 09:04 AM
Newsleecher super search. Hell yeah it's worth it. It searches live, where the web sites only have what is reported by the uploaders and others and selecting and downloading stuff in Newsleecher is about right clicking and and selecting leech. Doesn't get any easier.

macking
03-17-2007, 10:09 PM
I thought I'd try supersearch for a month.

One month went by, two months, three months, six months, still with them.

tesco
03-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Newsleecher super search. Hell yeah it's worth it. It searches live, where the web sites only have what is reported by the uploaders and others and selecting and downloading stuff in Newsleecher is about right clicking and and selecting leech. Doesn't get any easier.agreed.
Before I got supersearch I just thought it was pointless...might as well use binsearch.
But since using it I realize just how much more handy it is to have. :D

If you download with newsgroups a lot then it's definately useful to have and will save you time.

Adster
03-18-2007, 01:52 AM
pay who pays for stuff?

webe123
03-18-2007, 05:06 AM
pay who pays for stuff?

I do...It gets me more stuff!

mesaman
03-18-2007, 06:11 PM
I don't... I can get any stuff you get.

webe123
03-20-2007, 10:41 AM
I don't... I can get any stuff you get.

Yeah right..PROVE IT!

jkashuba07
03-20-2007, 09:18 PM
I wouldn't pay, I'm cheap though so maybe listening to me isnt the greatest idea haha

Windy72
03-29-2007, 06:04 PM
Slightly OT but I like Beta.binaries.NL and have the search plugin in mozilla firefox so it is real easy to search. I do find the site often has server problems however so I am more into Binsearch for reliability.

I used to pay for Grabit search which was quite good and newzbin site for NZB but then I found this site and to be honest I would not pay for search anymore. Free is good with me.

My NSP has a search site but strangely it can be a little slow for something that technically I have paid for.

Peacefulness32
04-07-2007, 12:29 AM
please tell me if siging up with Usenet will I been able to find stuff like total training and lynda stuff and I mean a varity like I would find on btjunkie.org

webe123
04-07-2007, 07:17 AM
please tell me if siging up with Usenet will I been able to find stuff like total training and lynda stuff and I mean a varity like I would find on btjunkie.org

Why don't you try searching for it on free sites like binsearch? That should give you some idea.

Though frankly, expecting newsgroups to carry everything torrents have and vice-versa is unfair.

Both do carry a wide variety of stuff,just not all the same! If you are using torrents to get what you need and it is rare, you'd better stick with that.