PDA

View Full Version : Does this look suss?

MediaSlayer
03-06-2007, 08:53 AM
I post on a message board to hook up with random chicks. There is a ton of spam in general on there. Recently I got an email bounced that says it needs "verification" before the mail will reach the person i sent it to. Here is the pic.

http://img206.imageshack.us/img206/3138/spamts9.jpg

I have a feeling it could be someone trying to get me to click on the link so they can harvest my email address. So I thought I would ask here, to get a second opinion.

thank you

Barbarossa
03-06-2007, 09:32 AM
It's possible, but it's also possible that it's genuine email inbox protection. I do know that such things exist.

I post on a message board to hook up with random chicks. There is a ton of spam in general on there.

It's not this message board is it :blink:

NB. I am neither random, nor a chick :ermm:

MediaSlayer
03-06-2007, 09:57 AM
it's not this board :)

it's a website with alot of local users for posting free adverts

100%
03-06-2007, 07:41 PM
"Taylor" is not exactly a womans name...

MediaSlayer
03-07-2007, 12:04 PM
You're right.

Here is one taylor (http://www.allmusic.com/cg/amg.dll?p=amg&searchlink=TAYLOR|DAYNE&sql=11:wifexqe5ld6e~T1), but yeah I think it's a guy's name usually. It seems to me a rare name tho'.

zaphodiv
03-07-2007, 08:55 PM
I'v seen a few of these reccently. From here it looks like there has been a big increase in "joe job" spam in the last couple of weeks.
At a guess some spammer has updated his army of infected windows machines with new spamming software that is forging the From: addresses using people's legitamate email addresses.

I'm seeing a lot of bounce messages as well due to spam with the from: adress forged to appear be from my domains.

SMTP is twenty years past it's sell by date. It's long past time for a new email protocol. As usuall the problem is microsoft.
Insecure windows machines send spam and we will be stuck with SMTP for a while yet unless they figure out a way to
make money by pushing somthing new to the hordes of nitwits using outlook.

manofstyle
03-08-2007, 10:15 AM
Earthlink has this on most of their email accounts. Check where the link is sending you and see if it looks suspicious.

deuce6000
03-12-2007, 06:17 AM
Nope it is definately a hot chick that is filtering her emails that wants to have hot nasty sex really bad but hates spam :ermm:

MediaSlayer
03-13-2007, 07:28 PM
update: it turned out to be a spammer.

but if i block the entire "www.inbox.com" domain that would probably block some non-spam as well so i guess there is no solution.