4play
03-06-2007, 03:23 PM
sometimes yes sometimes no.

lukaz
03-06-2007, 05:29 PM
Compared to ftn AND ScT I'd say no.

iNSOMNiA
03-06-2007, 06:03 PM
what's the average pre time on newsgroups for a popular release like PB or Heroes ?

UsenetGuy
03-06-2007, 06:09 PM
For new TV-Rips its quite fast. alt.binaries.multimedia on EFNet has an auto-filler that usually fills them a few mins after its pre'd (although it can be very slow at auto-filling sometimes) :)

asfdlq3i45poi
03-06-2007, 08:10 PM
sometimes yes sometimes no.

and sometimes maybe.

NRGFreak
03-06-2007, 09:19 PM
Most of the time no. The pre times are decent but no where as fast as some torrent trackers (which is really why I switched from newsgroups to torrent) :)

meo
03-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Most of the time no. The pre times are decent but no where as fast as some torrent trackers (which is really why I switched from newsgroups to torrent) :)

The fastest pre times on torrents sites I've seen so far are less than 1min for a TV Rip (xvid)
You can try ChronicTracker & SCC ...both have very fast pre time ..you can also check FTN or ScT if you're lucky enough ;)

WHiKWiRE
03-06-2007, 11:43 PM
It's give and take. Sometimes it's newsgroups and sometimes it's torrents. Though newsgroups will always be faster :D and more secure.:P

webe123
03-09-2007, 10:33 AM
Well to me, the few minutes I use downloading a file on newsgroups is worth it compared to the few hours it takes for that same file to download and then.....UPLOAD back! Because on private torrent sites you have to keep up a good ratio to use them and they are the ones with all the speed...BUT... you pay the site back by uploading the file back to the site...which can be a pain if your ISP like mine does not even have HALF the speed allocated for uploading as they do downloading! That is why I say screw uploading!

I would rather wait a few hours for a show to come on newsgroups and I can download it at my MAX connection speed from the time it starts until the time it is finished and have that be IT... than to have to upload a file back after I have recived downloading it like on torrents.

Chewie
03-11-2007, 09:17 PM
I really don't understand why some people are so hung up on getting something faster than someone else. Is it some sort of loopy competition now?

webe123
03-12-2007, 09:47 AM
I really don't understand why some people are so hung up on getting something faster than someone else. Is it some sort of loopy competition now?

Call it what you want, but I pay for a newsgroup provider to get "gasp" my MAX download speed! Is that wrong to want to get my MAX speed I pay my ISP...I don't think so! That...AND not having to worry about getting SUED for just downloading on newsgroups makes it just that much more of a bargain.

Like I said, I used to use torrents, but I got sick of the UPLOAD RATIOS the private sites had. With newsgroups,I don't have to worry about stupid ratios OR getting sued! And I can download many files on newsgroups compared to downloading and then having to uploadi back just ONE, like on private sites.

It is definately worth it to me. As far as waiting a few hours?(which usually is all that it is between most releases on BT and newsgroups)
I'll gladly wait a few hours for the same file to come out on newsgroups, at least I know I don't have to upload it back and can go on and get another file without having to worry about keeping up a ratio!

Since I have found newsgroups...BT upload ratios are now history because I use mostly newsgroups now....I say good riddance!

popopot
03-12-2007, 11:42 AM

Call it what you want, but I pay for a newsgroup provider to get "gasp" my MAX download speed! Is that wrong to want to get my MAX speed I pay my ISP...I don't think so! That...AND not having to worry about getting SUED for just downloading on newsgroups makes it just that much more of a bargain.

Like I said, I used to use torrents, but I got sick of the UPLOAD RATIOS the private sites had. With newsgroups,I don't have to worry about stupid ratios OR getting sued! And I can download many files on newsgroups compared to downloading and then having to uploadi back just ONE, like on private sites.

It is definately worth it to me. As far as waiting a few hours?(which usually is all that it is between most releases on BT and newsgroups)
I'll gladly wait a few hours for the same file to come out on newsgroups, at least I know I don't have to upload it back and can go on and get another file without having to worry about keeping up a ratio!

Since I have found newsgroups...BT upload ratios are now history because I use mostly newsgroups now....I say good riddance!

Indeed. Those are my thoughts exactly. I am about to sign up for newsgroups because I don't mind waiting for a little while longer for the file to be upped, and when it does, I will be able to download it at full speed. Besides, I never watch a film or TV episode straight away, I always leave them for the weekend. So with 100 days of retention, whats the rush?!

BigH
03-12-2007, 11:44 AM

I agree - been using newsgroups for just over a week and could never go back to BT.

slightly OT, but when people upload with newsgroups, do they get anything in return (ie money or free service from the news servers), or do they do it so as to keep the network going?

General2k
03-12-2007, 01:21 PM
I know, we are usually talking about a couple minutes here, sometimes hours. Does it really make that much of a difference? Sure doesn't for me.

Chewie
03-12-2007, 06:40 PM

Like I said, I used to use torrents, but I got sick of the UPLOAD RATIOS the private sites had. With newsgroups,I don't have to worry about stupid ratios OR getting sued! And I can download many files on newsgroups compared to downloading and then having to uploadi back just ONE, like on private sites.Firstly, I was talking about pre-times, not download speed so calm down.
Secondly, English is my first language; I can read and understand your post perfectly well without the exagerrated use of capitals as emphasis.

Since I have found newsgroups...BT upload ratios are now history because I use mostly newsgroups now....I say good riddance!Wait, you're now talking about pre-times. Just 'cause I'm old doesn't make it right to play with my mind!

I wholeheartedly concur that usenet is superior to torrenting. I inwardly giggle at talk of buying seedboxes to boost ratios when a much better service can be had for $15/month on usenet.

webe123
03-13-2007, 12:51 AM

I agree - been using newsgroups for just over a week and could never go back to BT.

slightly OT, but when people upload with newsgroups, do they get anything in return (ie money or free service from the news servers), or do they do it so as to keep the network going?

I think the uploading is voluntary...you don't get anything for it, just like uploading torrents...though a LOT of groups don't want you to upload unless they know who you are and that you know what you are doing.

Firstly, I was talking about pre-times, not download speed so calm down.
Here is your original post,you never stated exactly what you were talking about.

No mention of what you were talking about specifically, you just expected everyone to know!

I was merely pointing out a couple of points in my post. Not just your point.
I stated that I was sick of upload ratios on torrent sites and stated why I changed to newsgroups.
Then I answered your question that I did not mind waiting. And I am not upset,that is your interpetation of my post. Which was wrong.

Secondly, English is my first language; I can read and understand your post perfectly well without the exagerrated use of capitals as emphasis. If you don't like the way I post, which was not only for your benifit, then I can't help you.

It was not only for you that I stated why I felt the way I did, but for others as well. So please knock off a superior attitude with me, it will get you nowhere real fast.

Wait, you're now talking about pre-times. Just 'cause I'm old doesn't make it right to play with my mind!

I wholeheartedly concur that usenet is superior to torrenting. I inwardly giggle at talk of buying seedboxes to boost ratios when a much better service can be had for $15/month on usenet.

I agree with seedboxes...still some will do anything to keep torrenting because they feel comfortable with the way they get files. Newsgroups "scare" people...they see them as "too hard to learn", when really the exact opposite is true.

shosh
03-13-2007, 04:40 PM

well pre times are very important to me concerning tv shows b/c i have to work during the times that these shows air. as soon as i get home from work i would like to be able to download these files at max speed, watch them, then go to bed early.

there is also a mention that there is less of a risk of getting sued with newsgroups over bittorrent. why do you claim that there is less of a risk over private trackers?

janwillem_80
03-13-2007, 09:16 PM
The problem with newsgroups for me is that I never seem to max out my download speed..on the other hand..On private trackers I do max out my d/l speed ...And I guess pretimes on newsgroups are better than torrent

webe123
03-14-2007, 09:15 AM

well pre times are very important to me concerning tv shows b/c i have to work during the times that these shows air. as soon as i get home from work i would like to be able to download these files at max speed, watch them, then go to bed early.

there is also a mention that there is less of a risk of getting sued with newsgroups over bittorrent. why do you claim that there is less of a risk over private trackers?

Newsgroups and torrents are TWO seperate and totally different ways of getting files!

When you download a torrent file...you are also uploading that file at the same time you download it, making you more of a target than if you just download....which no one has been sued yet for just downloading a file.

Also your IP address is given out on torrents to anyone requesting the file....torrents are not known for their security and were never intended for downloading of illegal content...at least, that is what Brahm Choen says when he invented BT. He made it for LEGAL files. But of course with todays private BT sites, illegal content is on them all the time.

But even private BT sites like Lokitorrents and others have been shut down by the feds and the people running it put in jail. Not a single paid newsgroup provider that I know of has been sued for the content they have on their servers. The feds have went after some NZB sites, but those were a drop in the bucket compared to other p2p sites they shut down.

On Newsgroups you can just leech (download only) and not have to upload anything. Matter of fact most newsgroups do not want you to upload anything until they get to know you and they are assured you know what you are doing.

Another thing newsgroups have over torrents is SPEED..even on the best private BT site, they can not touch newsgroups in speed, because newsgroups max out your download speed from the time a file begins to download until it finishes.

And if the Newsgroup provider ever DID get a legal notice,the way newsgroups are set up, the file in question would have been deleted off their servers long before a trial could begin as the longest retention (or how long a file stays in a group before it gets deleted completely) is only 101 days.

And even IF they did manage to get that person upping the file,the evidence would be deleted making it hard to press a legal case. Not only that, but even if they only asked the newsgroup provider to take down content that someone claimed was theirs....it would be right back up again in a few hours.

So newsgroups are totally different in the way files are stored from torrent sites.

The problem with newsgroups for me is that I never seem to max out my download speed..on the other hand..On private trackers I do max out my d/l speed ...And I guess pretimes on newsgroups are better than torrent

HUH? I have never heard THAT claim before!

You must have had a pretty sucky newsgroup provider that throttled your speed or youy used your ISP newsgroups. Paid newsgroup providers like Giganews and Newshosting DO max out your connection! Otherwise people would not pay for it. And I can't believe the claim that your private BT site is going faster than newsgroups!

Hetfield
03-14-2007, 04:48 PM
i agree, i've been on the scene for ages, tried IRC, Kazaa, BT etc..The only thing that really works for me are NZBs. Max speed, fast posts...what else do you need? Btw a friend got a warning email from his ISP (we use the same ISP) for downloading a PC game...I've been downloading 3 times more than he has ever downloaded with Newsgroups and got nothing..

popopot
03-14-2007, 04:58 PM
Btw a friend got a warning email from his ISP (we use the same ISP) for downloading a PC game...I've been downloading 3 times more than he has ever downloaded with Newsgroups and got nothing..

Was your friend using torrents or newsgroups?

Hetfield
03-14-2007, 06:44 PM
torrents

Chewie
03-14-2007, 07:18 PM
Firstly, I was talking about pre-times, not download speed so calm down.
Here is your original post,you never stated exactly what you were talking about.

I really don't understand why some people are so hung up on getting something faster than someone else. Is it some sort of loopy competition now?No mention of what you were talking about specifically, you just expected everyone to know!

I was merely pointing out a couple of points in my post. Not just your point.
I stated that I was sick of upload ratios on torrent sites and stated why I changed to newsgroups.
Then I answered your question that I did not mind waiting. And I am not upset,that is your interpetation of my post. Which was wrong.I didn't think it necessary to specify exactly what I was talking about because I considered the thread title specific enough.
I know what you stated.
If I interpret your post as condescending, particularly as with the use of *gasp* and uppercase for emphasis, your whole first paragraph has that air, must I be at fault?
Uppercase is almost exclusively used to show shouting in a text environment especially when bold and italics are available to the user.

As we go through life we need to understand that the onus is on us to make ouselves understood to strangers rather than on others to figure out what we're saying/typing.

Secondly, English is my first language; I can read and understand your post perfectly well without the exagerrated use of capitals as emphasis. If you don't like the way I post, which was not only for your benifit, then I can't help you.

It was not only for you that I stated why I felt the way I did, but for others as well. So please knock off a superior attitude with me, it will get you nowhere real fast.
:lol:
Yeah you're absolutely right - my inability to understand others or make myself understood by them has gotten me absolutely nowhere here.

webe123
03-15-2007, 03:57 AM
I know what you stated.
If I interpret your post as condescending, particularly as with the use of *gasp* and uppercase for emphasis, your whole first paragraph has that air, must I be at fault?
Uppercase is almost exclusively used to show shouting in a text environment especially when bold and italics are available to the user.

As we go through life we need to understand that the onus is on us to make ouselves understood to strangers rather than on others to figure out what we're saying/typing..

Mabye it is you that should take your own advice? From the time you have started talking to me, until now, you have come off as a condescending person. Mabye you ought to practice what you preach?If you can't, I don't want to hear it from you.

Yeah you're absolutely right - my inability to understand others or make myself understood by them has gotten me absolutely nowhere here.

It is a wonder you can be understood by anyone with that attitude you have!

name in use
03-16-2007, 09:04 AM
thanks for all this info,im new to the newsgroups scene,used newsgroups to chat to people about info but thats it. Pre times from what i know on some torrent trackers is under a min - usually 1 hour after on good sites,sometimes you MAY have to wait but not long. Im curious to see how newsgroups work with the pre times concept.

webe123
03-17-2007, 01:25 AM
thanks for all this info,im new to the newsgroups scene,used newsgroups to chat to people about info but thats it. Pre times from what i know on some torrent trackers is under a min - usually 1 hour after on good sites,sometimes you MAY have to wait but not long. Im curious to see how newsgroups work with the pre times concept.

Actually, I'll wait the few hours it takes for a file to come on newsgroups. Even if it takes a little longer...I won't be the one having to upload BACK a file like on torrents!

I can simply go on and get another one. People that use private sites are not so lucky, as they have to seed at least a portion of the file they downloaded if they want to keep their membership on a private BT site.

If you use public BT sites,you don't have to upload back, but you are really wide open for being sued and the speeds suck.