PDA

View Full Version : Dreamweaver or Notepad

digmen1
03-06-2007, 09:50 PM
I am starting on a couple of web sites.

After much research on this site it seems to me a 50/50 split on wether Dreamweaver is best or using a text editor such as Notepad !

Could some of you who use or recommend Dreamweaver point out some things I could do in Dreamweaver that I could not do in Notepad and Vice versa.

Regards

Digby
NZ

4play
03-06-2007, 09:55 PM
just use dreamweaver. notepad is cool for making small changes to documents but the syntax highlighting alone in dreamweaver should make it the tool of choice of these 2 at least.

rublind
03-06-2007, 11:33 PM
Notepad: you can't see your changes reflected immediately.

Dreamweaver: you can.

Dreamweaver knows syntax and tags n' stuff and it helps with auto complete, and helps when you're looking for something you don't quite remember the name of.

Notepad: Google or bust.

All-in-all: both. Dreamweaver can be handy, but it's not necessarily a complete replacement to the beauty and simplicity of notepad.

Snee
03-06-2007, 11:45 PM
just use dreamweaver. notepad is cool for making small changes to documents but the syntax highlighting alone in dreamweaver should make it the tool of choice of these 2 at least.

Programmer's notepad ftw.

http://www.pnotepad.org/

Barbarossa
03-07-2007, 09:14 AM
I actually use both. :smilie4:

Dreamweaver for page design and layout, and then notepad for small tweaks and changes, and the javascript, vbscript, etc.

@SnnY - That looks cool, I might try that out :)

perastikos
03-10-2007, 12:30 PM
I agree with Barbarossa...

Dreamweaver or another WYSIWYG suite for design and layout and a serious text editor for small changes or coding (eg PHP)
For text editing i personally use UltraEdit (sFTP support a big plus for me)

Skiz
03-10-2007, 12:31 PM
Dreamweaver will do anything. Hadn't you heard?

tesco
03-11-2007, 02:29 PM
notepad2 :happy:

m.r.davies
03-24-2007, 04:50 PM
text pad is good
if you are new to it use dreamweaver as you can draw stuff on the page and it will genreate the html for you

prisonbreak2
03-24-2007, 07:39 PM
Dreamweaver

erRor67
03-26-2007, 03:05 AM
Agreed. Notepad2 is a great and small program. I even replaced windows notepad with this one. ;)

Notepad++ is also another good text editor. I use both.

Not Complete
04-05-2007, 06:13 AM
if you are new to it use dreamweaver as you can draw stuff on the page and it will genreate the html for you

StarZ3r0
04-05-2007, 12:56 PM
1. bluementals webuilder
2. notepad++

fourier
04-05-2007, 02:17 PM
a alternative to Dreamweaver : http://www.nvu.com/index.php (freeware)

bgiovand
04-07-2007, 10:00 PM
if you're on a mac. Use textmate. it is a very powerfull text editor.. I beleive i saw a program very similar to it that is being developed for windows but forget the name.

watch the screencast for html on the devs site and you'll see just how powerful the app really is.

i think the site is macromates.com

i dislike wysiwyg editors in general, and although dreamweaver has good code editing capabilities they pale in comparison to what a program like textmate can do. As long as you have a good solid understanding of what your doing I believe an enhanced text editor would be your best option.

r0n1n
04-08-2007, 02:04 AM
dreamweaver is good but if u want a more basic text editor then just use something like notepad++ or xint or any one that does syntax hiliting! i dont use most of the features of dreamweaver i just like the color coding and autocomplete for when i forget things!

thewizeard
04-08-2007, 03:21 AM
AEDix Suite Text Editor

http://software.kirys.it/

It's free and easy for noobs, like me, to use ...

RTFM
04-08-2007, 03:33 AM
It all depends on what you want to do. Do you want to get a site up easily and efficiently? Use Dreamweaver. Do you want to learn how to code, which will come in handy if you move onto programming? Then use notepad or a similar text editor (I use PSPad).

SaveFerris
04-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Notepad++

It's great because of the syntax highlighting. Dreamweaver and other programs like it are for the noobs. :rolleyes:

relik
04-09-2007, 10:27 AM
Notepad++ because is simple and transparent.

tseiso
04-10-2007, 02:17 PM
I prefer PHP Expert Editor. : P

L3ST
04-14-2007, 03:34 PM
I go with Dreamweaver too, especially for the lines thingy, it's helpfull while debugging.

burtz
04-14-2007, 06:27 PM
dreamweaver. it has a code editor too so there's nothing too loose using it.

mbucari1
04-20-2007, 05:39 AM
Started w/ dreamweaver, but got sick of it. I have tried several text editors, but hav stuck with subpad. It's a single exe so it's completely portable. I can edit my site from anywhere (which is crucial when you have a news section).

ronaldinho123
04-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Dreamweaver will do anything. Hadn't you heard?

Colt Seevers
04-24-2007, 03:44 PM
Crimson editor: Features tabbed interface, html, php, c, python syntax highlighting, code output window, and built in FTP! Highly recommended!!

digmen1
04-30-2007, 12:52 AM
HI Guys

Thanks for all the help.

It seems to be split 50/50.

Quick and easy Dreamweaver - more advanced Notepad.

With many of you liking other text editors.

Regards

Digby

titofat
05-01-2007, 02:30 PM
i think Notepad

will.atkins
05-02-2007, 06:26 AM
It's a matter of oppinion but i prefer dreamweaver hands down.
It is more functional, quicker to use, more powerful and makes the whole process of webdesign much easier.
I must be said though that the simplicity of notepad is in some cases useful.

true_neo
05-05-2007, 11:48 AM
It all depends on what you want to do. Do you want to get a site up easily and efficiently? Use Dreamweaver. Do you want to learn how to code, which will come in handy if you move onto programming? Then use notepad or a similar text editor (I use PSPad).I haven't heard of Dreamweaver doing your PHP code for you.
Besides, it's fully possible to just use Dreamweaver for its source code formatting, the HTML cleanup (good when you are editing someone elses work), the syntax highlighting, the ability to have PHP Manual incorporated into the Right Click menu, that it displays the argument order of PHP functions when you open the parenthesis, etc...
One does not HAVE to rely on the WYSIWYG.

valhallabjj
05-06-2007, 08:39 AM
I use and prefer Dreamweaver as it is convenient and user friendly. I laso have people do work for me and find that they have preference for Dreamweaver :).

ethanpil
05-30-2007, 08:09 AM

Another vote for Notepad2!

I am actually very choosy, depending on what I want to do:

Photoshop - Design
Imageready - Convert to HTML
Dreamweaver - Beautify & CSSifiy HTML
Frontpage 2003:cry::cry: - For when you have to work with Tables, its the best
Notepad2 - Tweaks, fixes and all the rest

Magnum
12-01-2007, 10:29 AM
Notepad because you can't see your changes immediatly!!!

helsing
12-01-2007, 05:34 PM
Dreamweaver, because you can choose either code or style view. So why would you need notepad?!

RoSsoNeRI
12-02-2007, 06:56 AM
Dreamweaver for sure

Snee
12-02-2007, 10:34 PM
I'm sure your opinions will be very helpful to him, it's only eight months or so since he posted, like.

helsing
12-03-2007, 10:13 PM
I'm sure your opinions will be very helpful to him, it's only eight months or so since he posted, like.

Maybe he's a slow learner :P

Pyrofyr
12-06-2007, 01:49 AM
For other people that might be viewing this with similar questions :

Just don't do DreamWeaver, it's not worth it, no WYSIWYG is, in fact if you do it you're basically the same as all the other people who don't know HTML/CSS/PHP/JS/Ajax/Whatever AT ALL. These programs to 'make life easier' for web designer's are the same ones that are putting us out of business. I COULD be a web designer and get paid upwards of 200bucks a PAGE, or they could pay someone who never had to learn shit, and only pick up a program that's easy to use 10bucks to do it. Which do you think will happen? Now I could lower my price to 10 bucks, but that's below standards, the point is, someone with no previous experience can do it, which is sad because HTML takes abuot an hour to learn. ~_~;

Notepad or another text editor is what the pros use.

Snee
12-06-2007, 03:03 PM

Just don't do DreamWeaver, it's not worth it, no WYSIWYG is, in fact if you do it you're basically the same as all the other people who don't know HTML/CSS/PHP/JS/Ajax/Whatever AT ALL. These programs to 'make life easier' for web designer's are the same ones that are putting us out of business. I COULD be a web designer and get paid upwards of 200bucks a PAGE, or they could pay someone who never had to learn shit, and only pick up a program that's easy to use 10bucks to do it. Which do you think will happen? Now I could lower my price to 10 bucks, but that's below standards, the point is, someone with no previous experience can do it, which is sad because HTML takes abuot an hour to learn. ~_~;

Yeah, excellent argument that :mellow:

"Anyone can make a good-looking website with dreamweaver, so you shouldn't use it" :blink:

=-=-

Now, a good argument against it might be that while it makes creating a site easier, it can make the code behind it look all screwy (assuming you rely on the designer mode), especially if you don't actually know what you are doing, which is why you ought to learn how to do things properly in code, before you start messing about with dragging and dropping, so you at least can sort out whatever mess gets put into the code.

lamonkey
12-06-2007, 04:09 PM
Editpad Pro, definately! Best of both worlds ;)

helsing
12-06-2007, 04:24 PM

You are totally one sided. Why does someone has to be a noob if he works in dreamweaver? hahaha, I think you are jealous on people who work in DW and dont let you earn you 200 bucks a PAGE (lol). I have seen lot of pros working in DW cause you dont need to work only in design mode, just switch to code mode and write your code. You must be one of those freaks programming in the basement and getting angry on the world around you, and when someone makes a page in dreamweaver a zit popps on your face mr. pro.
Let people work in a program they like. EOD.

antispimmer
12-06-2007, 10:13 PM
I use Dreamweaver for the major jobs, but I try to use notepad++ whenever possible. You might want to check that one out.

http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/