PDA

View Full Version : System Fan Has Failed!

S!X
03-07-2007, 12:23 AM
Every time I boot up my comp I get this message "System Fan Has Failed! Press <F2> to continue". I know whats causing it, cause I don't have my exhaust fan hooked up to the mobo, it's hooked up to the psu cause it only has a psu connector :dry: Is there any way to disable that? cause it's very annoying.. :frusty:

Virtualbody1234
03-07-2007, 12:38 AM
Yup. Look in the BIOS.

I might be able to be more precise if you provided a motherboard model.

S!X
03-07-2007, 02:08 AM
Yup. Look in the BIOS.

I might be able to be more precise if you provided a motherboard model.

I've checked in the bios, can't find anything...err thanks HP :dry: btw I've got the MS-7184 (v1.X) Amethyst -M Micro ATX Mainboard.

Manual link: http://217.110.237.67/Manuals/7184-engl%20v1.x.pdf#search=%22MSI%20Amethyst-M%20overclocking%22
(Best to right click and go "Save As")

lynx
03-07-2007, 09:55 AM
You might find the manual for MSI's base version of that board useful in the future.
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/support/manual/mnu/spt_mnu_detail.php?UID=692&kind=1

I can't see any way to disable monitoring of the System fan either.

However, I've got a solution for you - get a fan which has a motherboard connector. :dabs:

Virtualbody1234
03-07-2007, 10:20 AM
If there's a setting then it would be in the PC Health Status section.

S!X
03-07-2007, 10:24 AM
Lynx: I'm not buying another fan! btw your link doesn't work!

VB: My mobo doesn't have a "PC Health Status section". :dry:

Stupid HP mobos :frusty:

Virtualbody1234
03-07-2007, 10:31 AM
The link works for me.

Try: http://download3.msi.com.tw/support/mnu_exe/mbd_mnu/E7093v3.0.zip

S!X
03-07-2007, 10:42 AM
The link works for me.

Try: http://download3.msi.com.tw/support/mnu_exe/mbd_mnu/E7093v3.0.zip

Thanks for that link VB, I wonder if there's a way to trick the mobo into thinking there is a "system fan" hooked up to it there there isn't :unsure:

Snee
03-07-2007, 12:58 PM
I reckon it's possible you could short it, with a resistor in the circuit.

Not sure which pins go where, or what resistor you need, tho'.

Get a potentiometer?

Still doesn't let you know what to short, tho'.

lynx
03-07-2007, 01:16 PM
Shorting the pins doesn't usually work, the pins are linked to a counter which signals an alarm if it doesn't get a minimum number of inputs per second, but that may vary on some motherboards.

Alternatively the counter may need connecting to power, again via a suitable resistor, but don't blame me if it blows your motherboard.

Just in case it does work the pins are:
1) Ground - Black
2) Power - Red
3) Counter - Yellow

You should be able to work out which is which by looking at the CPU fan connector.

Snee
03-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Shorting the pins doesn't usually work, the pins are linked to a counter which signals an alarm if it doesn't get a minimum number of inputs per second, but that may vary on some motherboards.

It depends on what whatever checks for the fan is after, as you say, I think that may vary.

If it simply checks that something is connected, leaving the counting bit to whatever utility they intend you to use, then woot.

If it also checks that the fan is running, then bleh.

EDit: also, since there's no system health in that bios, I was thinking it might be doing the former.

Virtualbody1234
03-07-2007, 04:09 PM

It depends on what whatever checks for the fan is after, as you say, I think that may vary.

If it simply checks that something is connected, leaving the counting bit to whatever utility they intend you to use, then woot.

If it also checks that the fan is running, then bleh.

EDit: also, since there's no system health in that bios, I was thinking it might be doing the former.No. It checks the speed of the fan. As soon as it drops below a predetermined speed you get the alarm or alert.

Snee
03-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Bugger.

No go then.

I wouldn't try and make my own counter, that's more work and possibly money than just buying and connecting a fan.