PDA

View Full Version : The Movie Node!

nizers
05-28-2003, 12:15 AM
I'm so sick of clicking on a sig2dat link off of this here forum and having to jump nodes for another 2 weeks just to find a source and then have to wait another month for it to finally finish DLing. First of all, i guess i'd like to ask if there is a particular node out there where all the movie buffs live on? If so... what is the node for this illustrious and magical 'promise land'?? If there isn't... then I'm calling out all of us movie lovers and 120gb movie packed hard drive owners to come together and form the highest 'movie populated' supernode out there on kazaa. Now, i realize that we can't just all be on one supernode for the legal aspects of the kazaa program, but why not have a certain supernode that we can all rely on to actually have sources to all of our favorite, just released and classic movies?? Please help me fight the 'more sources needed' syndrome of kazaa!!

Jibbler
05-28-2003, 12:44 AM
Sounds like a great idea, but not very practical. They never should have called it "Kazaa". Instead, they should call it "Patience". :huh: Most of the users here also use SoulSeek for music. Why not use it for movies too?

Homersimpson
05-28-2003, 01:22 AM
What is soulseek?

thegroggman
05-28-2003, 01:27 AM
Hey Homer...check http://www.slsk.org/ thats the url for the soulseek program. Right now it is typically a program for music distribution...but its starting to expand to ebooks...and as Jibb suggested it can be used for movies.

jetje
05-28-2003, 07:01 AM
Soulseek is not fit to transfer those kinda big files. It just isn't made for it... ftp works better then..

3RA1N1AC
05-28-2003, 09:42 AM
soulseek only supports one connection per download, like napster used to do. this is fine for mp3s, but it would put a very large burden on the uploader if someone were to download 700mb all at once from them.

file swarming (automatically seeking out multiple sources and piecing the file together from them, as kazaa, limewire, emule and bittorrent do) is the way to go for large files.

nizers
05-28-2003, 01:24 PM
Uh.. so is that a yay or a nay on the Movie Node idea??

Razz
05-28-2003, 01:29 PM
Originally posted by nizers@28 May 2003 - 14:24
Uh.. so is that a yay or a nay on the Movie Node idea??
properly a nay because it is just not convenient as was already mentioned FTP is properly ur best bet or perhaps using the fileserving room for #KLChat, that would be great as well but still no multiple sources :(

share4uk
05-28-2003, 01:55 PM
Having one node that everyone wants to connect to is not practical because it would constantly overload with the masses trying to connect (including those damned leachers)...