PDA

View Full Version : So My Brother Got Caught Downloading Torrents

RushRealSlow
03-12-2007, 07:38 PM
A few months ago my brother got a letter in the mail saying that they caught him downloading a TV episode using utorrent. They made him e-mail NBC and apologize for downloading. My question is, when i go back home (I'm at college right now) I"m going to be downloading A LOT since I can't at my campus...what are my chances of them catching me like they caught my brother? The thing I also don't understand is, they only caught him downloading one file only. Sorry if this is very n00bish, which it probley is. I just have no idea how people catch you downloading outside of my campus. Thanks for the input!

torrentslave
03-12-2007, 07:42 PM
it was the tracker he got it from. stay away from public trackers

RushRealSlow
03-12-2007, 07:46 PM
So I should stay away from sites like mininova.org and isohunt?

torrentslave
03-12-2007, 07:54 PM
Yep!

DefX
03-12-2007, 08:03 PM
They made him apologize to NBC??

NBC should apologize to us for the majority of the crap they put on tv.

SHUVT
03-12-2007, 08:04 PM
I would work on getting into the private trackers before you head home. This will help. It is no garuntee that you will not get caught, but it does reduce your chances significantly.

RushRealSlow
03-12-2007, 08:09 PM
Thanks for the input everybody! I never knew how beneficial private trackers could be. Any suggestions on how to get in loop?

gamer4eva
03-12-2007, 08:12 PM
There is no real guaranteed safety with torrents because some private trackers are easily obtained by anyone. Therefore it is still not as safe. It is much better than public though.

iNSOMNiA
03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
If you live in the US stay out of the public trackers.. especially DEMONOID and EZTV (mininova)You should use private trackers only and enable the encryption..
If you want an invite for a private tracker PM me ;)

kayvanblue
03-12-2007, 08:36 PM
get usenet access, that way no one can track you down
beside,the speed is awsome at my university..i have a DL record of 8mb/s .
make your switch now, if you are realy afraid of getting cought.
i might be wrong though!

PooBar
03-12-2007, 08:38 PM
A few months ago my brother got a letter in the mail saying that they caught him downloading a TV episode using utorrent. They made him e-mail NBC and apologize for downloading. My question is, when i go back home (I'm at college right now) I"m going to be downloading A LOT since I can't at my campus...what are my chances of them catching me like they caught my brother? The thing I also don't understand is, they only caught him downloading one file only. Sorry if this is very n00bish, which it probley is. I just have no idea how people catch you downloading outside of my campus. Thanks for the input!

so all he had to do was say sorry,sounds a bit sus to me.

Army
03-12-2007, 08:51 PM
LOL they caught your brother LOL

vipdiablo
03-13-2007, 12:33 AM
Dude Pm Me And I Will Give U Free Invites To 2 Sites That Considered Very Good As A Start

RushRealSlow
03-13-2007, 01:23 AM
I'm sorry but I don't know what USENET access is, would you mind explaining at all?

so all he had to do was say sorry,sounds a bit sus to me.

what happened is the RIAA didn't catch him, our internet provider did. They sent us a list of their rules and said that they won't do anything for a first offense, but they will if they catch us again (and nobody in my house can afford any sort of legal action).

pale hose
03-13-2007, 02:22 AM
what happened is the RIAA didn't catch him, our internet provider did. They sent us a list of their rules and said that they won't do anything for a first offense, but they will if they catch us again (and nobody in my house can afford any sort of legal action).

If that's the case, is it really worth taking the chance when you get home?

ifkstab
03-13-2007, 02:28 AM
If you live in the US stay out of the public trackers.. especially DEMONOID and EZTV (mininova)You should use private trackers only and enable the encryption..
If you want an invite for a private tracker PM me ;)

I was wondering if anyone knew of someone that got in trouble using demonoid. I use it sometimes but mainly use private ones or newsgroups, just wondering how much they are policing it.

Degenx
03-13-2007, 02:29 AM

ROFLMAO

RushRealSlow
03-13-2007, 04:01 AM

If that's the case, is it really worth taking the chance when you get home?

Well, to be honest, I think my chances of getting caught are low. I don't download a lot. Though I will only be home for a week, so I plan on downloading until I have to leave for my uni. Another thing is, I listen to A LOT of music, and I have NO WAY of paying for ALL of it. I do still buy (some) CDs.

Also, not all CDs are sold here in the United States. I listen to a lot of Japanese music that I have no access to.

Buggyme
03-13-2007, 04:55 AM
Turning on encryption might help too.

hotwebdownload
03-13-2007, 05:30 AM
You can use this site to find out fake trackers
http://fenopy.com/fakefinder/

raspberry1331
03-13-2007, 07:12 AM

if this is the case, private trackers wont be a big help for you. as it was pointed out, you should try to encrypt your data (traffic shaping is its name i think), so that your ISP cant track your downloads.

about usenet: there is a section about it in this forum, have a look at it.

hotwebdownload
03-13-2007, 09:15 AM
Most of the times, it's the people from US, UK and Canada who get busted. I know a guy in Indonesia who escaped even after being notified by some agency.

Fulanito
03-13-2007, 09:55 AM

:yup: :lol: :lol: :lol: