PDA

View Full Version : vista-should i wait?

walczanin
03-12-2007, 08:30 PM
Im considering upgrading my mce edition to one of the vista versions.
So i'd like to ask wheter its a good time to do so, or shall i wait a bit more?
I heard that some stuff still doesnt work well with vista (modems, graphic cards, etc)
I would appreciate if u would podt your suggestions, and exoperiences with new vista
cheers guys
ps. hardware requirements dont concern me, since i got new pc few months ago, so lets focus on software.
and 2 more questions:
-when sp1 will be released?
-is it possible to uprgade mce edition to vista 64bit? i mean i dont wannna format my hdd and begin from 0 again.....

Hairbautt
03-12-2007, 09:27 PM
when sp1 will be released?Posted in the News Section awhile back: Vista Service Pack 1 Set for 2H'07 Release (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/news-section/t-vista-service-pack-1-set-2h07-release-151028)- could easily change tho' :ermm:
I heard that some stuff still doesnt work well with vista (modems, graphic cards, etc)Don't forget software. ;)

IMO, I'd wait due to software incompatibilites/issues ranging from Games :D to just commonly used software I use like Quicken, PG2, iTunes, etc.

You may want to look into WinXP to Vista guides - where you can theme and modify XP to look like Vista's new design. :) Or Longhorn design for that matter (Pre-Vista).

mr. nails
03-13-2007, 01:22 AM
i'm currently in dual boot and have vista as my primary OS and xp just basically for games. i've been using vista for over a month now and it's had boot up problems with diskeeper, video drivers, 1 bsod, and poor driver performance. all these are common for a new os. hardware isn't an issue u say? well, do u have @ least 2gb of ram? some ppl here would say 1gb is fine, but not me. down the road if u play games i'd recommend 4gb of ram. if ur mce is 32-bit and u wanna go 64-bit vista ur outta luck. not gonna happen. if ur 64 and wanna go 64 not a problem. in all honesty though. i'd just wait another year for vista sp1 to cum out. u'll be happier with it in the long run. imo.

walczanin
03-13-2007, 09:16 AM
i have 2gb 667 dual ram + core2 6600.....
i guess i wait then

karateo
03-13-2007, 11:12 AM
i think you should wait.
the only advantage for me is the DX10 which is not yet released -> no reason for downgrading yet ;)

WackyMan
03-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Personally, I wouldn't install a brand new OS until it has been released to the masses for around 12-18 months, or more. Like has been mentioned, driver issues, software incompatabilities, general OS bugs/problems etc. all cause unneccessary headaches. Particularly if your current setup is working fine at the moment, I'd stay as is for a while.

walczanin
03-13-2007, 02:01 PM
i guess thats what im gonna do
cgeers guys

BawA
03-13-2007, 02:12 PM
am using vista from some time now(almost 1 month), no problem so far, most of softwares like NOD32, FireFox, Logitech SetPoint, lime wire, KLCP, Alcohol 120%, Nero 7, CrapCleaner and Itunes work with it, games like BF 2142 and even 1942 works but with a slice difference from XP mostly because of graphic drivers being at beta stages.
i have no problem with my drivers whats so ever, they are all compatible with vista(maybe because my system is recent and was mostly vista ready).

Virtualbody1234
03-13-2007, 02:13 PM
Do you have a spare hard disk drive?

You could disconnect your current HDD and connect the spare one. Install Vista to try it out all you want! As soon as you want your old setup back, just switch the drives back to the way it was.

BawA
03-13-2007, 02:19 PM
Do you have a spare hard disk drive?

You could disconnect your current HDD and connect the spare one. Install Vista to try it out all you want! As soon as you want your old setup back, just switch the drives back to the way it was.

no need to do that if u have spare partition. as you may know about Dual Boot option you can use it to test vista.
i installed vista on my 14Gb partition as my secondary OS and kept my XP as primary, you can use VistaBoot Pro to configure the boot option to you're needing...
then if u decide to keep Vista you can use partition magic to extend vista partition to higher capacity using XP since its not compatible with Vista as i heart.

Shiranai_Baka
03-14-2007, 03:30 PM
I've heard that Vista won't let you change your parts because microsoft doesn't want people whining to them about problems when their parts are changed or something.. is that true? I've been holding back because of that reason.

Barbarossa
03-14-2007, 03:32 PM
I've heard that Vista won't let you change your parts because microsoft doesn't want people whining to them about problems when their parts are changed or something.. is that true? I've been holding back because of that reason.

That sounds ridiculous, tbh :ermm:

However, I expect Vista has the same security as XP, such that if your hardware is changed significantly, it will required you to reactivate your copy of windows, because it deems that you essentially have a "new" computer :dabs:

thewizeard
03-14-2007, 04:01 PM
If you have XP installed then I would wait a few years ...

Shiranai_Baka
03-15-2007, 03:26 AM
Some of us actually want the DX10 though.. We drool over the awesome video cards' DX10 capabilities.

silhouette
03-16-2007, 08:31 PM
Vista should take some time to settle. Better wait some six months

{I}{K}{E}
03-16-2007, 09:10 PM
Vista should take some time to settle. Better wait some six months

Wait untill you can buy/download Windows Vista with SP1. ;)

redball
03-17-2007, 09:10 AM
really i'm using MS Vista since Beta Ver. untill now there's no problem. it's the best operating system that Microsoft release. all thing working good, but it's require special PC components.

lightshow
03-17-2007, 11:14 PM
So I have a copy of Vista and it's primary purpose is to play games (it's a special stripped down version).

Do you think more PC games that are coming out will want you to have 32 bit or 64 bit Vista OS running?

Also, just wondering if anyone knew what most store Vista PC's (retail at places like Best Buy, Circuit City, etc.) are loaded with; 32 or 64 bit versions?

macking
03-17-2007, 11:26 PM
I dont think it really makes a big difference in relation to 32 bit vs 64 bit but most of them would probably be loaded with 64 bit considering most CPU's out in the last year or so have been 64 bit.

What I will say is WAIT.. without a doubt WAIT.

Vista right now is incredibly unstable, it works badly with games and a lot of programs and it has patchy support for hardware.

There are no real compelling DX10 related reasons till around September this year to upgrade to Vista so just wait till its more stable.

Right now I wouldnt even download Vista for free.

walczanin
03-17-2007, 11:27 PM
If you have XP installed then I would wait a few years ...

heehhe

Happylepsi
03-18-2007, 03:42 PM
About vista.. The design is awsome, but my pc dosen't handle it.. If your's dosen't i would get a new one, or wait for the first service pack to arrive ;)

walczanin
03-18-2007, 06:56 PM
i will definetely wait for sp1, and then buy one))

Armagedon
03-18-2007, 09:01 PM
i am agree with walczanin, its better to wait till the SP will come out, vista have still bags with recognising drivers and downloading of them.

karlstad
03-20-2007, 09:05 AM
I should wait til SP1 is out.

lomu123
03-22-2007, 07:23 PM
I reccomend waiting for the service pack. that will fix al the bugs

j0nathan
03-23-2007, 02:25 AM
I just installed and the drivers are fine(I just had to install sound, but there was no problem), everything runs good. I am just looking for an anti-virus.

nitro3
03-26-2007, 12:50 PM
only problem ive had with vista is that games run a bit dodge, guess thats just bad drivers though. in a few months the drivers will be alot better and it will almost be as good for gaming as xp ;]

emsee
03-28-2007, 05:37 PM
I'm using Vista X64 for fore then 2 months and had no problems
way better than XP

all thoes there is some prog's that still missing :(

Fedders
03-28-2007, 06:16 PM
Vista Sucks, Doom3, FEAR, Half-Life, and CS, crash and work way better on XP plus iTunes is not compatable.

g1golos
03-31-2007, 09:52 AM
I wait SP1 because now vista is crap...

seras12345
03-31-2007, 04:08 PM
I think a good general rule of thumb for things like this is to ask yourself 'What does it do that I can't do now?'. If the answer is nothing, then it's probably not worth upgrading just for the sake of having the latest thing. If there is something it does, then ask yourself if it's worth the hassle of dealing with the potential problems.

For me right now there's no compelling advantage vista has over xp. As time goes by it'll build up advantages and they'll fix bugs and instabilities, and eventually it'll be more of a hassle to stay with xp than to just upgrade :)

So what does vista do that you can't do with xp?