PDA

View Full Version : University put blanket ban on net for 13hrs.

blackfog
03-14-2007, 06:39 AM
Starting from yesterday, my university have put a ban on net usage from 11pm to 1230 pm ( 13.5 hrs and not 1.5 hrs as it may seem at first look ).

The net usage of the entire campus being limited to 10hrs, the net speed is one of the crappiest i've ever seen.

Also net usage implies both access to the internet as well as LAN. Its pretty much same as to disconnecting your comp from the network. Seems like I may have to cut down visiting to some of my fav sites like FST :(

any comments please ? :whistling

:source: Source: http://www.theregister.co.uk/2007/03/12/indian_students_told_to_talk/

Hairbautt
03-14-2007, 03:23 PM
:lol: "Indian students told to get a life", I guess people fear new age communication. :idunno:

Is it really that bad tho'?

DefX
03-14-2007, 03:30 PM
Let me get this straight.. They're suppose to get a life at those hours?? I thought socializing was generally done when you're not asleep. I guess thats college life for you.

4play
03-14-2007, 04:46 PM
you might find they did that to actually stop students sitting up all night on the interwebs chatting to mates and then being too tired in the morning to get up before midday and turn up to lectures.

i did this for a few months at uni and my social life went out the window. i try my best not to stay up too late using the computer these days.

lightshow
03-14-2007, 05:16 PM
I think it is unfair for a university to push themselves into the private lives of their students.

Also, you are the one paying for that internet connection through your tuition. I'd be really pissed if they thought they could step in like that. Being in uni dorms makes it so you can't get a third party ISP. It's really rough.

gamer4eva
03-14-2007, 06:15 PM
Well that sucks. It would be best to get your own net connection if you are able to afford it. If not then tough luck!!!!

100%
03-14-2007, 09:46 PM
They could leave the university site, library site open.

Hairbautt
03-14-2007, 09:51 PM
They could leave the university site, library site open.
That's a good point, my university has that blackboard webapp thing for assignments, news, email, announcements n' such.

Kinda important especially to see if a class is cancelled.

suprafreak6
03-15-2007, 03:02 AM
wow...i too am indian and was in india like in december-january
and i have a "uncle" (only indian know what im talking about) and he works at IIT hes a teacher, also teaches his son who goes there...this is quite crazy news to hear. As it is a tech school and equivalent to one of USA's Ivy leagues