PDA

View Full Version : Someone should make a sticky of the shortend names.

Cheffy
03-15-2007, 10:34 PM
You refer to Torrentleech as TL, Torrentbytes is TB and so on. But for new users that have no heard about half a half the sites it would be nice to know what sites you are actually talking about talking about.

If you never heard about a site how in gods name are you suppose to know what people are talking about.

This is a new topic here:

Scc
They just raised their userlimit to 7500 ... so get in there !!! :D

Nice gesture, the people that could actually benefit form this information probably have no idea what Scc stands for.

And there are many many more like TT,FD,BN and so on.

ghurka
03-15-2007, 10:53 PM
Once the new members satisfy the waiting time and post count criteria they will be able to get into the invites section where all this information is readily available.

Skiz
03-16-2007, 06:34 AM
Many of the abbreviations are because those sites have requested their name and URL not be posted publicly.

Posting the full names would defeat the purpose.

Cheffy
03-16-2007, 07:41 AM
Many of the abbreviations are because those sites have requested their name and URL not be posted publicly.

Posting the full names would defeat the purpose.

Ahh ok, I tryed reading the rules to figure out if it was a reason for it, but i did not find it.

Art Vandelay
03-16-2007, 02:11 PM
Yea I found this very frustrating when I first started reading. This community seems very elitist and almost impenetrable on first impressions. But maybe that's the way they want it.

angryghost
03-16-2007, 03:20 PM
man im still waiting for the time to end :(

DefX
03-16-2007, 03:36 PM
Its mindboggling that you guys just cant use google and all its immense powers to find out whats behind those abbreviations. Noone had to spoon feed me and tell me the url's of those 3 letter combos and i still found out what they were.

dawsonkm
03-16-2007, 10:02 PM
Me 2 defianceX. Just need to look around alittle.

Skiz
03-17-2007, 01:18 AM
Its mindboggling that you guys just cant use google and all its immense powers to find out whats behind those abbreviations. Noone had to spoon feed me and tell me the url's of those 3 letter combos and i still found out what they were.

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3484/googlemf1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Fulanito
03-17-2007, 02:02 AM

http://img263.imageshack.us/img263/3484/googlemf1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Art Vandelay
03-18-2007, 02:41 PM
What's the point? That's an absolute waste of time when people here can quite easily be so much more informative in what they post. This obsession with acronyms and pseudo secrecy is completely retarded, and is quite obviously a symptom of the elitist attitude a lot of posters here seem to have. Like you say, it's easy to find the information within a few minutes, so why bother withhold it in the first place?

Panther
03-18-2007, 02:55 PM
like people said, fst will get even more unwanted attension if theyr users start to post the full names when the trackers clearly say they dont want it...

And when you have been here for a while and keep reading you will start to figure it out

DefX
03-18-2007, 03:07 PM
Why bother withhold it in the first place??

- Because its frowned upon by the trackers to divulge it in the first place or any kind of unwanted publicity. DUH. Unless you've just been using kazaa these last few years, you should know that about private trackers. If you didnt, then your ignorance is forgiven.

Symptoms of elitist attitude?? :lol:

Right. You obviously know what youre talking about since youve been here a while and you have a right to cast judgement on members you know oh so well.

Skiz
03-18-2007, 03:30 PM
What's the point? That's an absolute waste of time when people here can quite easily be so much more informative in what they post. This obsession with acronyms and pseudo secrecy is completely retarded, and is quite obviously a symptom of the elitist attitude a lot of posters here seem to have. Like you say, it's easy to find the information within a few minutes, so why bother withhold it in the first place?

Elitist attitude? That's a new one. :unsure:

They are abbreviated on this forum for two reasons, one of which I've already covered:

The trackers have requested that we not allow for their names and/or URLs to be publicy posted. They prefer the secrecy, we're just being respectful of their wishes. All in the name of courtesy, really.

The others are not for secrecy purposes at all (at all), at least not for me. When you're having discussions in this section of the forum on a regular basis, its becomes tiresome to retype those names, incessantly. It's just easier and faster to say 'TL', as opposed to 'Torrentleech'.

Elitist attitude.....thanks, I needed that. :lol:

mikechrobot
04-22-2007, 03:10 PM
the only site that i know of that crearly states to not tell the name in the rules is FTN the others like ScT, SCC or other ones that aren't allowed to be written never stated this so i don't know why it's not possible to say their full names :(

mikechrobot
04-22-2007, 03:20 PM
sorry for double post

kirktrix
04-22-2007, 03:48 PM
Actually it is very easy to search it on google. U just try it first before u complain.

Not all things/knowledge are given freely.:)

GINZY
04-22-2007, 04:07 PM
just google. U can find everything. But everything means nothing if u ain't got da invites

TheFoX
04-22-2007, 04:14 PM
Firstly, are we being elitist by using abbreviations. Of course we are...

We should stop using abbreviations NOW...

We should not refer to the USA as USA, but as United States of America.

I DON'T want to hear any more talk of FST. It IS File Sharing Talk.

Did you get sued by the MPAA? NO YOU DIDN'T. You got sued by the Motion Picture Association of America.

Elistist indeed. The reason we use abbreviations is to save typing. If we spelt out everything in full, then keyboard manuafacturers would be having a hey day turning out new units, and we'd spend so much time typing out the full words that we would have no time left to enjoy ourselves.

Abbreviations are a part of our living. To scoff because torrent sites are following the norm is irrational. Does anyone here still type full words on a cellphone, or do they use txttlk?

bytetorrent
04-22-2007, 04:21 PM
list of acronyms for some private trackers

http://forums.torrentportal.com/ftopic28114.html .. google did help !!

mikechrobot
04-22-2007, 04:28 PM
http://www.flexhost.hu/node/2713
here u go mate :)
just typed tracker acronyms in google ;) and looked a little further than the first result
not so hard, u just need to try
remember, impossible is nothing

crossfade
04-22-2007, 04:37 PM

i somewhat can relate to that
however, a lot of people have been at this forum for quite some time, and when talking about bittorrent and trackers it is often easier to use abbreviations than writing the full (long) tracker name
this is similar to using imo for "in my opinion", url for "uniform resource locator", etc.
examples are:
- TL for torrentleech
- TVT for tvtorrents
- TB for torrentbytes
- SCT for scentorrents
- SCC for scene access (when you try to write this one the name is replaced by *'s)

there is another reason for the use of abbreviations
for some bittorrent trackers it is against the site rules to mention the full tracker name or url, this is the case for FSC and FTN
so using these abbreviations isn't so much elitist as just abiding by the site rules