PDA

View Full Version : What would be the best way to revise for a history exam??

tralalala
03-16-2007, 03:00 PM
I have an exam on Sunday.. and so far have been reading my notebook over.. and then sort of saying the stuff I wrote down to myself over and over in my head until I get it right.. Is this the best way to revise for a history exam, apart from writing it all again..?

Are there any tricks/tips that would help me?

Ava Estelle
03-16-2007, 04:35 PM
You should ask in the lounge where all the kids are.

j2k4
03-16-2007, 07:10 PM
You should ask in the lounge where all the kids are.

A childish response, that.

Biggles
03-16-2007, 07:40 PM
I have an exam on Sunday.. and so far have been reading my notebook over.. and then sort of saying the stuff I wrote down to myself over and over in my head until I get it right.. Is this the best way to revise for a history exam, apart from writing it all again..?

Rafi

The first thing you need is a clear time line in your head - sort of like a washing line with all the key events pegged along it in the right order. If you can peg out the events they act as a memory jog for the details in your notebook. Then you can colour in the picture with comment and arguments for and against a particular interpretation or conflicting views on the subject matter. At least that is how I always did it and it served me well.

j2k4
03-17-2007, 12:42 AM

Rafi

The first thing you need is a clear time line in your head - sort of like a washing line with all the key events pegged along it in the right order. If you can peg out the events they act as a memory jog for the details in your notebook. Then you can colour in the picture with comment and arguments for and against a particular interpretation or conflicting views on the subject matter. At least that is how I always did it and it served me well.

What Les said.

It will flow from point to point like the story that it is. :)

tralalala
03-17-2007, 02:15 PM
@Ava: I thought this was a serious discussion forum this one.

@Biggles: I'll try doing that.. the way I've been going so far is reading, then repeating in my head.. which works for a short period of time (a week or so), then I forget bits and bobs out of it.. so I guess for tomorrow it's fine, but for the next exam I'll try your way, I'm sure it will work, especially whn it's about WW2 and co..

@J2K4: You're a mod now.. seems odd looking at you and seeing your blue start now :lol: Anyhoot, will try Biggles' idea :) Thanks

thewizeard
03-17-2007, 09:14 PM
good advice, up there ^^^^ my method was..do nothing until 72 hours before the exams, then start to prop my mind with all what I considered the most important stuff.. with generous pauses for some pizza and wine.. If reference books are allowed, then tab the important pages for easy access... Good luck, I will cross my fingers for you :)

Oh and regarding the exam itself...go through the questions, if you come to one you get stuck at, jump it, go to the next try that one and so on, make sure you come back to the difficult ones before you hand in your papers, as they often carry the most points :) Then all things being equal... it's back down to the pub, as usual ...

Adster
03-18-2007, 01:56 AM
study at the last minute always works for me

tralalala
03-18-2007, 09:49 AM
good advice, up there ^^^^ my method was..do nothing until 72 hours before the exams, then start to prop my mind with all what I considered the most important stuff.. with generous pauses for some pizza and wine.. If reference books are allowed, then tab the important pages for easy access... Good luck, I will cross my fingers for you :)

Oh and regarding the exam itself...go through the questions, if you come to one you get stuck at, jump it, go to the next try that one and so on, make sure you come back to the difficult ones before you hand in your papers, as they often carry the most points :) Then all things being equal... it's back down to the pub, as usual ...

:lol: you really are something :lol: The exam went absolutely fine.. seems your fingers did the work :):)
I used the method I posted on the first post.. seemed to work like a charm.. Will think of using Biggles' method next time, just to see which is more useful.

Thanks all :)

m_atalay
03-18-2007, 10:32 AM
We don't need no education
We don't need no thought control
No dark sarcasm in the classroom
Teachers, leave them kids alone
Hey, Teachers, leave those kids alone :)

Best way is the way u know::::::::......evrytm

Confluence
03-18-2007, 01:31 PM
Haha The Wall
I'm glad your exam went well, I have some exams coming up soon so I understand. I might hijack and try Biggles' method too, although I don't do History, but I'm thinking it might work for Literature plays - with the events and meanings...

I used to be an alright student, couple of A/B's, the C's, but now I'm getting D's. However, I hardly used to study whilst getting okay marks, whereas now I'm finding I have to work - and I don't really know how/what I'm doing wrong. I still love the subjects, besides some of Literature.
Serves me right in a way for not learning the effort I guess lol.

Barbarossa
03-19-2007, 10:02 AM
What I would do is find someone with a time machine in the shape of a phone booth, and then go back in time and bring back many historical figures to help me.

Dude ;)

Confluence
03-20-2007, 09:51 PM
Rock on, Dr Who, Rock on...

Barbarossa
03-21-2007, 09:33 AM
Rock on, Dr Who, Rock on...

Bill S. Preston Esquire, and Ted "Theodore" Logan, actually :ermm:

Confluence
03-21-2007, 08:28 PM
Strange, yeah Bill and Ted also do that. Though I knew them, I never realised the two shows had the same elements before...