PDA

View Full Version : Monitor dying?

Vamp
03-17-2007, 10:57 AM
I've had a viewsonic LCD monitor since 2004, it seems to be giving a problem now where, when I shut down or restart, the display instead of going to black, "frosts over" to white. It's a gradual process where a christmas-decoration like frosting display covers the screen, before going totally white.

When booting up, the display will either be completely scrambled or not appear at all until I switch off the monitor and switch it on again. After booting up, the problem is gone till I shut down or restart. Anyone know the cause of this?

Awhile ago I was having a problem with my 3D card (Geforce 6800 ultra) which was diagnosed as a loose connection, where the card sometimes would not power up properly. This stopped in January when I took my PC into a technician, but now I'm left with this scrambled/frosted display.

peat moss
03-17-2007, 11:54 AM
Check the pins on the plug to see if loose or bent . Have you tried another monitor like an old crt lying around ?

Vamp
03-18-2007, 12:08 PM
No bent pins. I have a dual output with this card, so I have a CRT as my secondary display. I set it as my primary (without physically plugging it into the different input) and it worked fine. When the troubled-monitor went off when I told it not to extend my desktop to that side, I got this same display.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/vampiric-youth/Photo-0025.jpg

Shiranai_Baka
03-19-2007, 03:12 AM
Holy crap thats freaky. I think it is dying from the looks of it. Its not providing current to all of the pixels?

Vamp
03-19-2007, 10:41 AM
This only happens when it shuts down or during the bootup, if I switch it on and off when it's Windows, it comes right.

Skiz
03-19-2007, 10:47 AM
It's a poltergeist for sure. :fear:

Get a new monitor would be my suggestion, as that one is certainly on its last leg.

Dell has some great monitors, and at nice prices too.

I've been running 2 Dell LCDs for four years and neither has even had a dead pixel yet. :)

Busyman™
03-19-2007, 04:12 PM
No bent pins. I have a dual output with this card, so I have a CRT as my secondary display. I set it as my primary (without physically plugging it into the different input) and it worked fine. When the troubled-monitor went off when I told it not to extend my desktop to that side, I got this same display.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/vampiric-youth/Photo-0025.jpg

Pulse:mellow:

Vamp
03-20-2007, 09:59 AM
Uh-Oh.

Damnatory
03-21-2007, 02:09 AM
I actually had the exact same problem with one of my ViewSonic LCD's (VX714 er something.)

Anyway, it was actually my own fault, but:

I took it apart one time because somehow a gnat got between the backlight and the screen, and remained there squished. Anyway to get to the white backing that the backlight reflects off I had to take the screen out of the holster, and somehow I didn't get the display ribbon pushed back in properly. There was this little plastic piece, that after pushing it in as far as it would go, would sit on top of the ribbon and set it in place. It took me forever to figure out what I had done, because I kept getting that cancerous looking scrambled image, and frosty backlight look.

http://img267.imageshack.us/img267/4135/ribbonwr6.jpg

I basically put a piece of scotch tape over top the ribbon and bracket to pull it as far into the slot as possible. Has worked fine ever since.

I dunno if that is your problem, but I had the same symptoms.

latinorock
04-07-2007, 03:02 PM
I have a 17 inch monitor , the problem am having is that whenever i set it to 85 Hz i hear a humming sound which dies down slowly but does not go away completely, no problems at other frequencies , can anybody help ?

Shiranai_Baka
04-07-2007, 05:47 PM
You should make a new post if its a unique personal problem. :)

Virtualbody1234
04-07-2007, 05:59 PM
You should make a new post if its a unique personal problem. :)

He did. Did you mean a new thread?

delimare
04-08-2007, 04:13 PM
That's white noise. If you can make it happen at 3 in the morning (the witching hour) I think you'll be quite surprised.