PDA

View Full Version : Hoi manker

Agrajag
03-17-2007, 11:11 PM
Two choices of wireless dongle thing.

I've got a wireless-g dongle which I can send with an installation cd. To be honest it's a pain in the arse to set up, but if you can do that then it's as fast as currently available (prior to Wireless-N).

Alternatively I can send you a wireless-b dongle. It's not as fast but the advantage of this one is that it's also a 128 usb drive, so I can put the installation stuff on the drive itself. That way, when it asks you where you want to install the drivers from you can just point it back to itself. I've tried this and it works as easy as an easy thing.

It really depends whether you need speed or ease of installation (with the added advantage of a wee usb pen drive chipped in). If it's basic office networking you need then speed isn't really an issue.

Whichever suits you, mate. Just let me know and I'll send the one you want.

I remember what happened to the usb wireless box btw. I sent it to DanalB.

Barbarossa
03-17-2007, 11:12 PM
You're asking him now :blink:

Agrajag
03-17-2007, 11:14 PM
How no.

manker
03-17-2007, 11:16 PM
Two choices of wireless dongle thing.

I've got a wireless-g dongle which I can send with an installation cd. To be honest it's a pain in the arse to set up, but if you can do that then it's as fast as currently available (prior to Wireless-N).

Alternatively I can send you a wireless-b dongle. It's not as fast but the advantage of this one is that it's also a 128 usb drive, so I can put the installation stuff on the drive itself. That way, when it asks you where you want to install the drivers from you can just point it back to itself. I've tried this and it works as easy as an easy thing.

It really depends whether you need speed or ease of installation (with the added advantage of a wee usb pen drive chipped in). If it's basic office networking you need then speed isn't really an issue.

Whichever suits you, mate. Just let me know and I'll send the one you want.

I remember what happened to the usb wireless box btw. I sent it to DanalB.
Oh fucking hell, I don;t know.

I'm very grateful for whatever you send me that means I don't have to spend twentu squids.

Barbarossa
03-17-2007, 11:20 PM
It sounds to me like you want him to go for the "b". when the "g" is clearly the superior product. :sly:

manker, if you want to get the best out of your router, go for the wireless-g. I'm sure you can handle the installation, you're not a technotard like JP :smilie4:

Agrajag
03-17-2007, 11:21 PM
Would it help if I said the dongle / flash drive was called a Pendragon, which sounds like really Welsh.

Agrajag
03-17-2007, 11:22 PM
It sounds to me like you want him to go for the "b". when the "g" is clearly the superior product. :sly:

manker, if you want to get the best out of your router, go for the wireless-g. I'm sure you can handle the installation, you're not a technotard like JP :smilie4:

Cool, if that's the one he wants I'll send that. Don't come crying to me when he can't cope with the set-up tho'.

Barbarossa
03-17-2007, 11:24 PM
He'll have to post any queries in hardonworld :sly:

2 sly smilies in one fred :o

Agrajag
03-17-2007, 11:26 PM
He'll have to post any queries in hardonworld :sly:

WAHEY!

manker
03-17-2007, 11:34 PM
I am so phoning Barbie when I get JP's package.

Proper Bo
03-17-2007, 11:35 PM
fnar fnar

Barbarossa
03-17-2007, 11:36 PM
WAHEY :ermm:

Agrajag
03-17-2007, 11:40 PM
:lol:

Mr JP Fugley
03-19-2007, 09:17 PM
I sent the Pendragon one, coz it's simple enough for a bank clerk to do and can also be used as a usb storage device if required.

Plug it in and it'll be identified as an external device. When it wants to install the driver for the wireless simply point it back at the same drive (directory is WLAN, it's the only one there just now). It will install from there. I've tried it and it works. That's the beauty of this way, you can plug it in anywhere and it has it's own drivers with it.

It will then have to identify your network. I assume you know how to do this, if not you are a cawk.

I've also sent a usb extender cable thing, as discussed previousement.

manker
03-20-2007, 02:04 PM
It arrived today and it looks like it will work. I don't know how to do that identifying network thing as I've never set up a wireless connection before but I suspect I will fiddle with it til it's a goer.

You, sir, are a true gent and would be a worthy denizen of Wales if ever you get fed-up with being fucking freezing.

Thanks a lot, mate.

Mr. Mulder
03-20-2007, 02:08 PM
I will fiddle with it til it's a goer.

o rly? :naughty:

manker
03-20-2007, 02:17 PM
I will fiddle with it til it's a goer.

o rly? :naughty:
You knows it :kiss:

Mr JP Fugley
03-20-2007, 06:57 PM
It arrived today and it looks like it will work. I don't know how to do that identifying network thing as I've never set up a wireless connection before but I suspect I will fiddle with it til it's a goer.

You, sir, are a true gent and would be a worthy denizen of Wales if ever you get fed-up with being fucking freezing.

Thanks a lot, mate.

Once installed it will normally find the network and job's a good'un.

Failing that right click on the icon in the system tray (looks like a wee telly). Then view available networks. If there is only one it's probly yours and you just need to tell it to connect to that.

If there is encryption (which you should have, maroon) then type in the key provided by the router and you should be up and running.

If you don't get a signal then try placing the dongle elsewhere, via the gift of the extender.

Barbarossa
03-21-2007, 10:22 AM
I'll have the other one, if it's still available :smilie4:

Also, could you send me a freeview decoder? Cheers :happy:

Biggles
03-21-2007, 10:27 AM

Thanks a lot, mate.

Failing that right click on the icon in the system tray (looks like a wee telly). Then view available networks. If there is only one it's probly yours and you just need to tell it to connect to that.

If there is encryption (which you should have, maroon) then type in the key provided by the router and you should be up and running.

If you don't get a signal then try placing the dongle elsewhere, via the gift of the extender.

My wireless router has the key printed on the back if that is any help.

Barbarossa
03-21-2007, 10:28 AM

To be fair, manker's router probably has a different code :dabs:

manker
03-21-2007, 10:39 AM

:lol: :earl:

Thanks tho', Les.

manker
03-21-2007, 10:42 AM

Thanks a lot, mate.

Looks like something I can't possibly fail to do competently.

Gonna feel like a right tit if I can't tho' :pinch:

manker
03-21-2007, 10:43 AM
I don't have my wireless router set up yet.

I set one up for my Mam recently tho - and that was a piece of pish - so I'm feeling confident :smilie4:

manker
Might do it dinner time.

manker
Quintuple posting, ftw.

Biggles
03-21-2007, 10:50 AM

:lol:

Good point

Have to confess I didn't know anything about this stuff. No. 1 son is at Uni studying computer science and he did it. I just watched....but it looked easy when he did it :dabs:

Chip Monk
03-21-2007, 01:05 PM
The same could be said for book-keeping