PDA

View Full Version : Router backdoor?

blacbladez
03-21-2007, 04:44 AM
Hi, my parents recently changed the router we use, now i dont have any ports fowarded and they changed the password on it. I was wondering if anyone out there knew how to get into the router so i could foward some ports and enjoy good internet speeds again. I dont want to reset the router because then my parents would know i changed stuff if they were to check.
The router is a linksys BEFSX41 if it helps

Thank you in advance

lynx
03-21-2007, 11:14 AM
If there were any backdoors then these routers would be useless since they would be wide open to every hacker on the planet.

Assuming that your parents haven't disabled uPNP then some software (for example utorrent) can utilise that feature to set up dynamic port forwarding.

Shiranai_Baka
03-21-2007, 02:46 PM
or press the reset button on the router?

SHUVT
03-21-2007, 03:46 PM
or try your phone number for the passkey??? funny, but htat is what Lynksis suggested when setting up your network... SO you will remember. LOL

thewizeard
03-21-2007, 03:50 PM
I would not advise the reset option unless you know how to reconfigure it. To help you, you will need to post the make, type, build, and what applications you wish to work, on your parent's router. ( including those of your parents)

make a choice here http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/BEFSX41/BEFSX41index.htm

Damnatory
03-21-2007, 08:35 PM
Even with a new password on Linksys Routers, you can normally access it without the pass.

Most of the time if you leave the username blank, and just type "Admin" as the pass it will go right on in to the settings even if there is another username and pass.

Shiranai_Baka
03-21-2007, 09:30 PM
Even with a new password on Linksys Routers, you can normally access it without the pass.

Most of the time if you leave the username blank, and just type "Admin" as the pass it will go right on in to the settings even if there is another username and pass.

lol? His parents changed the password... Its not admin anymore.

Edit: Assuming his parents don't know how to setup the router except for the password, it should be ok to reset.

Virtualbody1234
03-21-2007, 10:05 PM

Edit: Assuming his parents don't know how to setup the router except for the password, it should be ok to reset.But if the router is reset then the password that the parents setup won't work anymore. They will find out that it was reset (hacked).

tesco
03-23-2007, 05:52 PM
why not just ask them for it? :huh:
and why does it matter if they know you reset it? :huh:

Virtualbody1234
03-23-2007, 06:21 PM
why not just ask them for it? :huh:
and why does it matter if they know you reset it? :huh:

I figure that he's trying to be sneaky. I bet his parents have even asked him to stop being sneaky. :shifty:

Shiranai_Baka
03-23-2007, 06:42 PM

Edit: Assuming his parents don't know how to setup the router except for the password, it should be ok to reset.But if the router is reset then the password that the parents setup won't work anymore. They will find out that it was reset (hacked).

Yeah but I guess you would have to go by chance that they won't check it since they already set the password. And if you reset it, doesn't it go back to default pass?

Virtualbody1234
03-23-2007, 10:08 PM
But if the router is reset then the password that the parents setup won't work anymore. They will find out that it was reset (hacked).

Yeah but I guess you would have to go by chance that they won't check it since they already set the password. And if you reset it, doesn't it go back to default pass?

Yes it goes back to the default password if reset but if the parents changed the password to something other that the default then their password won't work anymore. They'll have to revert back the default password to gain access. A definite clue to them that the router was reset. ;)

Gripper
03-24-2007, 06:09 PM
I bet they've written it down somewhere,ave a look round their desk,or in their documents folder in their comp.

lynx
03-25-2007, 10:59 AM
If you know what the settings are, you could reset to factory defaults, change the password to something you know but they don't, then put the settings as they left them plus any additions you want to make.

When they next want to change things they will find their password doesn't work, and their only way in will be to revert to factory defaults again - wiping any evidence of your interference.

This won't work if they log in to the router regularly, and if you try it more than once you will definitely be under suspicion.