PDA

View Full Version : ScT Going Pay to Leech

Sentient
03-21-2007, 09:01 PM
They haven't announced the details yet, but you're going to be able pay for upload credit.

They said they haven't been able to meet server costs via user donations alone two months running, and staff has had to chip in.

I think it's a good idea, ScT is my favorite site and I'd hate to see it shut down. Supertorrents says it makes more than enough to cover server costs offering as little as 25 gigs for $50, hopefully ScT's credits will be on that scale.

QstorM
03-21-2007, 09:05 PM
Very smart idea.

StevenVD
03-21-2007, 09:07 PM
yea, their speed is good enough.. a few leechers in sct can't be a problem :)

zak2210
03-21-2007, 09:10 PM
Haha, TL pwns them

torrentslave
03-21-2007, 09:14 PM
Haha, TL pwns them

thats cuz u dont have it

zak2210
03-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Haha, TL pwns them

thats cuz u dont have it

Actually I did, go to /users.php search zak2210 - theres your proof

And the reason I traded it, is because it sucks.

2flY
03-21-2007, 09:18 PM
Haha, TL pwns them

LOL, no way.

But seriously, FtN has been in need of donations too and just after they announced this they received a lot of them while ScT has to sell dl traffic...poor site :/

eric
03-21-2007, 09:53 PM
I think its really bad.

Basquiat
03-21-2007, 10:00 PM
I think its really bad.

you sure do have a way with words :D

Melvinmeow
03-21-2007, 11:25 PM
They have been doing this for some time despite what their PM said about it being new lmao

They just havent openly promoted it in the past. I know a few people who have recieved uploaded amounts added to their account.

I see nothing wrong with doing this if its going to help the site out, and also as long as the money is going for the server itself not someones pocket.

Bucktoof
03-21-2007, 11:39 PM
Well, as they say, desperate times call for desperate measures.

It's all in euros though, so 10 euros is the lowest donation amount. Hopefully a temporary measure

kayvanblue
03-21-2007, 11:42 PM
Haha, TL pwns them

you are right bro...Tl is on top of everything else

zak2210
03-22-2007, 12:13 AM
Yup^

TL get more donations, their faster, got same content and easy to seed. what more do u need.

TL PWNS!!

Yagami
03-22-2007, 03:23 AM
Yup^

TL get more donations, their faster, got same content and easy to seed. what more do u need.

TL PWNS!!

you sure about that?

redMonster
03-22-2007, 03:26 AM
I received this message in my inbox.

Desperate times call for desperate measures. We staff understand that a lot of you here at ScT are very much against the idea of pay to leech, but we've come to the decision that there is no other way to keep the server bill paid. We've asked for donations in the past to get the bill paid, but it's not cutting it any more.

Donations were short last month, as well as this month. We understand that some of you will turn away from us for this, but we ask you to understand our situation. We want you to rest assured in the fact that no members of the staff will keep any part of donations made, and it will all go strictly to pay the server bills.

/Staff

Sentient
03-22-2007, 03:43 AM
They have been doing this for some time despite what their PM said about it being new lmao

They just havent openly promoted it in the past. I know a few people who have recieved uploaded amounts added to their account.

I heard rumors of this, I hadn't believed it tho. :ermm:

A lot depends on how it's implemented actually. I really hope they offer just small tokens of appreciation for upload, rather than an amount that would significantly help a leech's ratio. A lot will also depend on how much trust there is in site staff. Bitmetv offers considerable amounts of upload for credit, but there have never been any suspicions it's going to anything but server costs. There have been some unfavorable accusations directed at Sct however ...

It's supposed to go into place sometime in April.

Bucktoof
03-22-2007, 08:35 AM
I have a TL account and an ScT account now, and I think TL is not as fast. I have more problems (although my ratio doesn't show it) seeding at TL than ScT for reasons I don't know.

I like ScT's layout though :) Plus the forums don't require secondary registration and ScT has a better forum community.

I don't like pay to leech, with TL there are people with several hundred gigs downloaded and almost none uploaded because they pay for VIP status. That kind of pisses me off because in those situations, they are not sharing at all. To me, I trust the mods at ScT to do whatever is best for the tracker.

Bucktoof
03-22-2007, 08:42 AM
Edit: nothing...

Bucktoof
03-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Edit: -

Bucktoof
03-22-2007, 08:43 AM
Edit: -

redMonster
03-22-2007, 10:14 AM
I like ScT's layout though :) Plus the forums don't require secondary registration and ScT has a better forum community.I don't think the forums at TL require secondary registration. Which site have you seen which requires secondary registration at forums, except demonoid?

Bucktoof
03-22-2007, 10:29 AM
When I signed up at TL, if I wanted to post in the forums, I had to sign up again - I remember that vividly. Maybe now it doesn't require that registration, but I don't use the TL forums anymore because they weren't helpful

ten elite brains
03-22-2007, 10:33 AM
Of the top of my head there's: TT, Pedro's and PiSEXY (only temp though).

swi7ch
03-22-2007, 11:48 AM

I heard rumors of this, I hadn't believed it tho. :ermm:

And you shouldn't. There's a reason it's called a "rumor." ;)

sert
03-22-2007, 12:03 PM
at least when i registered in tl, i had to make a separate registration to view the forums

Melvinmeow
03-22-2007, 12:27 PM
I think the TL forums only required you to egister/activate if you had an account prior to them adding those forums. I beleive if you register since they added them they work like normal.

Friendly Fire
03-22-2007, 12:53 PM
I got another pm about it:

To keep all of our users in the loop, we're letting you all know the new Credit System will be implemented sometime in April. Another Mass PM will be sent out in the coming weeks informing you all of the final date and the system of donation amounts.

Also, after the new System is implemented, all donations will be handled and processed automatically. That means your credit amount, donation star, and custom title will all be added/enabled without having to notify the staff. Your voice on IRC will still be handled manually though, so you will still have to request it in IRC after you donate.

Thankie,

//Staff

quality
03-22-2007, 02:04 PM
Torrentbytes also had problems with server costs recently but after they announced it to their members they received the donatios they needed without going pay2leech...