PDA

View Full Version : In Appreciation:what I Like About You

j2k4
05-30-2003, 01:54 PM
I have, lately, been corresponding with an old friend about this forum-he is twisted the same way I am, and I felt he might enjoy the repartee if he had the time and inclination to join.

Although his status re: this forum is undecided, he did ask me, specifically, what it was like to muck around in an "International" venue; at the moment he asked me this, I realized how unprepared I was to reply just then-I had no glib answer, and told him so.

It subsequently occurred to me that I might entice him to lurk a bit; do some reading, and get back to me with his thoughts.

With that in mind, I will attempt an admittedly short-hand, hopefully inoffensive (fingers ARE crossed, ALL of them-toes, too-typing this is gonna be a bitch), but in my view, at least semi-accurate, snapshot of the players onstage here.

I will reiterate, here and now: NO OFFENCE IS INTENDED, though in light of the inevitability of at least a bit of same, I have taken the precaution of purchasing a rather large and comprehensive first-aid kit, and have a licensed medical professional on stand-by.

Here goes, in no particular order:

SuperJude: Have you ever played "DOOM"? SJ is one of those creatures who jumps out and filets, cooks, and eats his victims at the slightest provocation. He is, however, one of the good guys, and he's a New Yorker, through and through. Easily the greatest "flame-jockey" in this forum; just ask him.

MagicNakor: A wise, patient benefactor. He and I don't agree all too often, but, to put a slightly different spin on a common phrase, our agreements are deep and profound. MN can always be counted on to pop in with a salient caution or reminder.

RatFace: Ask him about the U.K.; you will get an answer that will provide the requisite information and everything else he feels you need to know.
He has a way of giving info while giving you pause, too. A willing, capable, and knowledgable debator.

Lamsey: A repository of youthful intelligence with the willingness to express himself; his forthrightness will serve him well. His absentee rate is, of late, a bit disturbing.

WeeMouse: Likes her debate smothered in cheese; is always of good cheer, and earns kudos here for taking our thoughts to class as a means of earning good grades. She will also go far, paired as she is with young Lamsey.

JPaul/JmiF: A sour package of talent wrapped in unrelenting irascibility. Checks his breakfast cereal for "piss" content. Hasn't eaten an un-tainted breakfast in a long time. Ah J'Pol, if only you would cheer up....

ShockAndAwe: A lesson for JPaul: Shock did it-why can't you?
Shock is a right-minded individual whose powers of expression continue to progress since he swore off the indiscriminate use of blunt instruments. Owns my favorite signature on this forum.

FuNkY CaPrIcOrN: The personification of the origins, history, and metamorphosis of this forum. Has a pathological aversion to the serious side of things. Entertainment epitomized and packaged in a really ugly wrapper. :lol:

TIDEHSV: Parcels out his appearances with an eye toward economy of words, which encapsulate the wisdom of a Solomon. If you see his Nick, read what follows; put the pearls in your pocket and guard them closely.

OlderThanDirt: Another who rations his appearances, regretfully. Opines with all-encompassing sensibility and worldliness. If you see him, read him. 'Nuff said.

sara5564: Our resident etherealist; I don't know how she does what she does, I just enjoy basking in the light she generates. :D

myfiles3000: Rapidly gaining a footing, in my estimation (THERE-that should be enough to send him tumbling :lol: ). I've labelled him a provocateur, a nit-picker, and a contrarian. He is, without a shadow of doubt, all these things.
He is also a very dogged and talented debator; ignore him at your peril.

Echidna: Is there such thing as a reasonable radical? Pushes points but somehow doesn't insist. Isn't the least deterred by merely being wrong. :D
Seriously: intelligent, with the courage of his convictions-some for which he deserves to be convicted. :P

Hobbes: The best combination of sense and left-field (not left-wing) view I've run across here. A master of the use of the blunt object AND the epee. His oddly canted perspective always bears somehow on the subject at hand, and always finds it's way into the final "product". We don't agree on everything; we are, I believe, in lockstep on the subjects of conduct and decorum. He IS, as most here know, a favorite of mine (would you QUIT throwing SHIT in my fuckin' drink, Hobbes?).

Clocker: Would that all forum members were similarly constructed; literally, the "ideal". To clone him would result neither in sameness nor boredom, although managing the names would be a bit "chorish". ;) Needs to be photographed for upcoming forum recruitment poster. Should, himself, be a "pinned" subject (I want my money NOW, Clocker). :lol:
Really-we DON'T agree as much as everyone might think, but when we disagree, we know WHY, and respect each other for it.
AND: How cool is it to "click" with someone named Clocker?

The MODS: Moderaters par excellence; administrators without peer. A GREAT group.

I must stop here; I could go on, but this is a risky thing, and my fingers are sore, AND I am hungry.

Again, hopefully I have accomplished my goal without offending; this is, as titled, intended as an appreciation of all here, and also a thanks for suffering yours truly. :)

P.S. With all apologies to any inadvertent omissions, of which there must be at least a few. :P

clocker
05-30-2003, 02:10 PM
*blush,blush*

Very interesting, j2.
You did, however, leave yourself out.

J2...Ralph Kramden with a brain. Unrepentently blue collar and all the more refreshing for it. Expert lightsabre wielder and deadly opponent of the partially ravelled argument. Wear codpiece when debating him as he will go immediately for the balls whilst feigning to the right. ;)

clocker
05-30-2003, 02:42 PM
WTF?

I've been transported!

Could someone please direct me back to the Lounge?

Rat Faced
05-30-2003, 04:24 PM
Ok j2k4, and Clocker.....

Back to its original home by your request.

:P

j2k4
05-30-2003, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@30 May 2003 - 11:24

Thanks Rat (you ole' mod, you!). :D

I love rubbing shoulders with powerful people. B)

WeeMouse
05-30-2003, 04:34 PM
WeeMouse: Likes her debate smothered in cheese; is always of good cheer, and earns kudos here for taking our thoughts to class as a means of earning good grades. She will also go far, paired as she is with young Lamsey.

:lol:

seems like you've got me down to a "T"! I shall explain Lamsey's absenses tho - the only internet access he has right now is from my computer, but never fear! He is getting a broadband connection on Monday and shall be here to harass you all morning noon and night as i do!

:D

clocker
05-30-2003, 04:42 PM
Originally posted by Rat Faced@30 May 2003 - 10:24

Thanks Rat.

btw j2, the shoulder rubbing may have turned him on, but it was the dinero that clinched the deal...

charity
05-30-2003, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by j2k4@30 May 2003 - 13:54
I have, lately, been corresponding with an old friend about this forum-he is twisted the same way I am, and I felt he might enjoy the repartee if he had the time and inclination to join...........

.............I must stop here; I could go on, but this is a risky thing, and my fingers are sore, AND I am hungry.

Again, hopefully I have accomplished my goal without offending; this is, as titled, intended as an appreciation of all here, and also a thanks for suffering yours truly. :)

P.S. With all apologies to any inadvertent omissions, of which there must be at least a few. :P
my my j2k4 can really talk

clocker
05-30-2003, 05:57 PM
Well, yes indeedy he sure can.

Did you enjoy it?

OlderThanDirt
05-30-2003, 06:51 PM
j2k4 wrote:

OlderThanDirt: Another who rations his appearances, regretfully.

Well, some of us have jobs :D . In my case, I have a business AND a job (phew). But, they keep the wolves away from my door.

Opines with all-encompassing sensibility and worldliness. If you see him, read him. 'Nuff said.

That's the polite version of, "He's an opinionated S.O.B." Thanks, hehe.

http://novelhost.net/jesus.jpg
The Devil made me do that.

MagicNakor
05-30-2003, 08:08 PM
Aw, shucks. :">

That's probably the first time in my life I've been called patient. :lol:

:ninja:

clocker
05-30-2003, 08:46 PM
OTD,

Much as I'd love to it would be a travesty for me to accept credit for j2"s work.

An errant slip I'm sure, but he is solely responsible for the things said in that missive.

WeeMouse
05-30-2003, 10:01 PM
Laughed my mouse-socks off at olderthandirt's pisstake of my sig! :lol:

Can't post much else - my keyboard keeps adding in random letters all over the place...it's taken me 20 damn minutes to make this post! :(

OlderThanDirt
05-30-2003, 10:48 PM
clocker wrote:

OTD,

Much as I'd love to it would be a travesty for me to accept credit for j2"s work.

An errant slip I'm sure, but he is solely responsible for the things said in that missive.

Nah, not an "errant slip," just a "senior moment." :D This is kinda like the senior moment you had in another topic when you attributed one of my posts to Tide, and was caught in the act by j2k4, hehe. Anyoo, I've since re-attributed the originator.

WeeMouse wrote:

Laughed my mouse-socks off at olderthandirt's pisstake of my sig!

It was actually a bumper sticker I saw sometime in the 70s, hehe. Speaking of bumper stickers, here's a true story.

When I got out of the Navy in 1973, I had no use for the military whatsoever. An incredibly bad attitude, you might say. Anyhoo, I started seeing these pro-military bumper stickers that rubbed me the wrong way. At the time, I was a subscriber to National Lampoon magazine. And, there was one printer who ran an ad that said "We Print Anything!!!" So, I ordered my own bumper sticker (a quantity of 50, the lowest I could order). The sticker had a red background with gold lettering and simply stated:

... to replace the ones we've fucked up over the years.

It was a very thin sticker. And, when I cruised shopping malls and grocery store parking lots, I'd look for the pro-military bumper sticker. When I found one, I'd make certain no one was looking ... and stick my sticker directly beneath the pro-military sticker .... which read:

The Marines! We're Looking For A Few Good Men!

Hehehe, never did get caught. But, I only managed to post about half of them. The others got lost in successive moves ... or maybe I just threw them away. :rolleyes:

J'Pol
05-30-2003, 11:14 PM
Your friend should spend less time fannying about and get some work done.

Irascible my arse. I'm just not a particularly good sufferer of fools.

clocker
05-30-2003, 11:48 PM
He lives!

ShockAndAwe^i^
05-31-2003, 04:40 AM
:o :o :o http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2001/05/images/021011_nuclear.jpg
Excellent post.
C'mon JPaul we need someone like you here to keep things more balanced.

sArA
06-02-2003, 02:08 AM
A very interesting post, with some astute observations I think.....my status as resident etherealist is both amusing and curious to me. Are my contributions considered a little fuzzy around the edges? I however see myself rather as the epitomy of the fence sitter.... :ph34r:

Illuminati
06-02-2003, 06:30 AM
Great job, but I don't see my name anyway ;) Does that mean that I haven't been putting my trademark-stubborn opinion(s) enough? :( Fine - Expect to see a bit more of me around here then :devil:

Still, I can't be arsed with anything in RL so I'll add one of my own (others, feel free to either add, change or even make your summary for me)

Illuminati - Self-proclaimed b*stard, and rightly deserves the title. Known to be a scouser in RL, so watch that you don't have anything of value anywhere near him. Not a person to hold grudges, his attitude in a thread is based on the validity and/or the intelligence of the thread starter - Genuine threads are likely to be answered by Illuminati with his full attention and nice (like a kitten, or mouse in WeeMouse's case ;))personality, while stupid posts and/or topics which have been done god-knows how many times are likely to be shredded or stabbed metaphorically by the Eye's venom tongue (attachment sold seperately ;))

Moderators of all forums on the internet, regardless of their subject, are hence encouraged to NEVER allow Illuminati any form of Moderator control <span style='color:blue'>UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES, unless they want to see their board go up in flames (Side note - I can&#39;t help it :devil:)</span>

:D

clocker
06-02-2003, 12:01 PM
Welcome to the fray, Illuminati ;) .

You may begin... :D

j2k4
06-02-2003, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by sara5564@1 June 2003 - 21:08
A very interesting post, with some astute observations I think.....my status as resident etherealist is both amusing and curious to me. Are my contributions considered a little fuzzy around the edges? I however see myself rather as the epitomy of the fence sitter.... :ph34r:
Sara-

I meant something more along the lines of "floating above; operating in a slightly different plane; having the quality of a disembodied voice".

Having now seen your splendid picture, I recommend highly that you never separate the voice from the body, agreed?

Those of us who have attempted to communicate from different planes know how difficult this is; it is a very difficult process to undo. :blink:

j2k4
06-02-2003, 12:28 PM
Illuminati-

Welcome-you may include yourself in that group I overlooked; kAb also.

It was bound to happen, as the idea came together with only a small window of opportunity; I apologize for my regretful but necessary economy.

However, you are here now, and we await a suitable display of your formidable talents. :D