PDA

View Full Version : Need New DivX Player

General2k
03-25-2007, 02:48 AM
Well my Philips DVP642 DivX DVD player just crapped out, had to pull the thing apart to get a dvd out also. My Phillips was an excellent player up to when it died, only had problems with the sound/video going out of sync on a couple files (bad encoding?), and if you pressed too many buttons at once it would power off. I am now looking for a new one and was wondering what some of you thought were the best. Perhaps some have some really good experiences with some, or can tell me what ones to stay away from
Thanks.

Skiz
03-25-2007, 02:57 AM
Mine's still working. Damn I love that player. :wub:

Ask Busyman (http://filesharingtalk.com/vb3/members/busyman-117721/)what he just got. He replaced his 642 a couple of months ago with a nice player that he got for only about $70, I believe. He says he's quite pleased with it.

Ecca
03-25-2007, 03:41 AM
Phillips DVP 5960/37 is the best hands down IMO.

-HD upscale
-Region free
-Plays DivX, XviD you name it!
-USB slot (you can play movies off your USB thumbdrive or an external HDD!!!)

Links:

=http://tinyurl.com/32npa5 -amazon.com
AVS forums - =http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=675600

General2k
03-25-2007, 04:41 AM
I agree the DVP642 was a good player, but I am hoping that there is something a little newer out. The 642 is a few years old and there has to be some good upgrades with the newer models.
Thanks for the info Skizo, I will ask him.

Skiz
03-25-2007, 05:04 AM
I agree the DVP642 was a good player, but I am hoping that there is something a little newer out. The 642 is a few years old and there has to be some good upgrades with the newer models.

NP. The one that Ecca mentions is the one that Busyman bought, I almost certain of it.

lee551
03-25-2007, 06:57 AM

-HD upscale
-Region free

Links:

^^ highly reccomended! i just got one of my buddies to get this model. the USB slot is pretty damn sweet itself. me and him have external usb hdd's stuffed with movies & tv, so it's a huge advantage (NTFS partitions aren't supported tho, wtf?:sick:)

Skiz
03-25-2007, 06:52 PM

-HD upscale
-Region free

Links:

^^ highly reccomended! i just got one of my buddies to get this model. the USB slot is pretty damn sweet itself. me and him have external usb hdd's stuffed with movies & tv, so it's a huge advantage (NTFS partitions aren't supported tho, wtf?:sick:)

So how do you select a movie then? What is the screen setup like?

lee551
03-25-2007, 07:37 PM
So how do you select a movie then? What is the screen setup like?

umm, it's pretty much just like on the dvp642 when you scroll thru a disk of multiple files. the screen is kinda divided in half with the left-half showing the directories and the right showing the list of files (but only the first 8 chars or so).

the ntfs thing is really annoying tho. what we do is set up 2 partitions (one ntfs, one fat32) and whatever is intended to watch is thrown/copied to the fat32 before disconnecting it from the 'puter. hopefully a firmware update could fix this or something??

Skiz
03-25-2007, 08:47 PM
the ntfs thing is really annoying tho. what we do is set up 2 partitions (one ntfs, one fat32) and whatever is intended to watch is thrown/copied to the fat32 before disconnecting it from the 'puter. hopefully a firmware update could fix this or something??

I'm not computer literate enough to understand that. :unsure:

General2k
03-26-2007, 04:32 AM
They still haven't gotten past the max 8 characters thing :(

You sure had me fooled Skizo.
NTFS and FAT32 are filing systems. FAT32 are what all the older operating systems run off win95/98 and the newer ones run off NTFS XP/Vista and 2000 I think. A firmware upgrade is an upgrade done on a software level to the hardware, kinda, correct me if i am a little off on this explanation.

Skiz
03-26-2007, 04:41 AM
They still haven't gotten past the max 8 characters thing :(

You sure had me fooled Skizo.
NTFS and FAT32 are filing systems. FAT32 are what all the older operating systems run off win95/98 and the newer ones run off NTFS XP/Vista and 2000 I think. A firmware upgrade is an upgrade done on a software level to the hardware, kinda, correct me if i am a little off on this explanation.

I understand all of that, I just don't understand enough about it to see how it relates it to a DVD player. :unsure:

lee551
03-26-2007, 07:32 AM
oh, we're just talking about if you hook up a external hdd to the dvd player through the usb port. the player only will read fat32 partitions which is kinda stupid, but it works. i had to read through a few hardware forums to find out that was the reason it wasn't working. it's about the only drawback i saw in the player. aside from that, it's kickass.

there's also a few usb thumb drives that don't work with it. however, they're usually the cheap ones (something to do with needing too much power i think).

Skiz
03-26-2007, 07:51 AM
oh, we're just talking about if you hook up a external hdd to the dvd player through the usb port. the player only will read fat32 partitions which is kinda stupid, but it works. i had to read through a few hardware forums to find out that was the reason it wasn't working. it's about the only drawback i saw in the player. aside from that, it's kickass.

there's also a few usb thumb drives that don't work with it. however, they're usually the cheap ones (something to do with needing too much power i think).

That makes sense now.

I think my brain was getting in the way. :lol:

lynx
03-26-2007, 08:56 AM
NTFS has potential security issues which can make external drives unusable in some devices. This is almost certainly the reason it isn't supported.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything that hasn't sorted out a decent file name display - 8 characters is simply inadequate and shows that the manufacturers don't really care enough about their product to sort out a simple feature like that.

Skiz
03-26-2007, 09:52 AM
NTFS has potential security issues which can make external drives unusable in some devices. This is almost certainly the reason it isn't supported.

Personally I wouldn't touch anything that hasn't sorted out a decent file name display - 8 characters is simply inadequate and shows that the manufacturers don't really care enough about their product to sort out a simple feature like that.

It does a hell of a lot for a $60 player though. You gotta give it that... :)

Busyman™
03-28-2007, 04:45 AM

It's the Philips DVP-5960.

It is a beast.

It's slim as hell. I drop my downloads on a USB thumbdrive and pop it in and play.

Because of the HD upscaling, my downloads are in nice widescreen near HD quality.

I watched some old episodes of Alias that I missed that were reran on TNT HD and wifey didn't know I was watching a computer download and not TNT.

Now I download any TV series that doesn't have an HD feed. Nip/Tuck on FX, The Shield on FX, Monk on USA, etc.

Hell my PQ is better than SDTV and my DVDs are just awesome!

Pick up some 2 to 4GB USB thumbdrives when on rebate. I got some 2 GB ones for $20 (and have got 1 GB ones for $5).

The file system on the DVD player is off little consequence with a thumbdrive but is slightly annoying with a USB hard drive (lots of files).

Morphy666
03-28-2007, 05:13 AM
The 642 is the best. If the sound goes out of sync, hit the menu button a couple of times.

accat13
03-28-2007, 11:58 AM
The 642 combined with Lisa B's standalone guide are pretty good...http://www.jarnot.com/twiki/bin/view/Public/DVP642LisaBsAVIGuide
But I still prefer my modded xbox with the hd cables...FTPing the files takes no time and the results are great.