PDA

View Full Version : free newsgroup finally stopped working

adriand
03-25-2007, 08:19 AM
looks like easynews has finally stopped working any suggestions other than paying for a newsgroup

webe123
03-25-2007, 08:22 AM
looks like easynews has finally stopped working any suggestions other than paying for a newsgroup

There are not that many around or people would use those instead.That is why they have paid servers.

The only other one I know of is

http://www.yottanews.com:8080/freeaccount.php

Bur read the fine print first....

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I create several free accounts?

It will not do you any good. We limit by IP.

I just created a free account how do I use it?

Do a google search on how to use usenet newsgroups.

I have a free account can I get posting rights?

No. Due to abuse we will not allow free users to post. We have several very economical premium packages that will allow you to post.

What speeds should I expect?

Free users are capped at 16KB/second. Paying users are capped at 1Mbits/second X 8 channels (8mbit/sec).

How many connections can I open?

Free accounts have a limit of 1.
Pay accounts have a limit of 8.

To me, they suck even with a PAID account, but anyway, they are free...though capping a newsgroup account at 16KB a sec.is not worth it to me. But it IS free....

adriand
03-25-2007, 08:40 AM
thanks

Windy72
03-25-2007, 12:05 PM
m8ey check out the easynews nl site. I think you will find it worth it.

http://www.easynews.nl/

ps mine still works :cool:

Could I also suggest paying for a server is worth while. If like me you hate those monthly contracts I use a pay server for fills. Block accounts are available from. Retention 80 days at least.

http://usenet-news.net/index1.php?url=home

That means the cheapest option is 300 gigs for $90 that works out at 30 cents per Gig. If you also use the free servers then I mean it is peanuts. Those 300 gigs do not run out at the end of the month whether it takes you one month or 10 years to use they only run out after the 300 gig has been used up. Well it works for me on average I use about 30-50 gig on usenet and so far have only used 12 gig of my premium service in two months so "wheyyy hey man" Peanuts.

PS I am not affiliated with http://usenet-news.net/index1.php?url=home

bald1
03-25-2007, 09:59 PM
thanks for the info windy72, will check easynews freebie out,gotta be worth a look for free

asfdlq3i45poi
03-26-2007, 03:34 AM
Hmmm... I thought all newsgroups were free. Which ones cost money?

webe123
03-26-2007, 08:18 AM

Newsgroups themselves are free....you can find them in some ISP's...though most suck.....but it is premium server access like Giganews and newshosting that have longer retention, that is what you pay for.

Windy72
03-26-2007, 08:24 PM

Not everyones from the US and A pal and enjoy ISP free access. Some of us have to pay for our access.:frusty:

asfdlq3i45poi
03-26-2007, 08:48 PM
Not everyones from the US and A pal and enjoy ISP free access. Some of us have to pay for our access.:frusty:I pay for my access to a news server too, buddy. I was referring to newsgroups, not news servers. :rolleyes:

Windy72
03-26-2007, 10:21 PM
Not everyones from the US and A pal and enjoy ISP free access. Some of us have to pay for our access.:frusty:I pay for my access to a news server too, buddy. I was referring to newsgroups, not news servers. :rolleyes:

Personally I think you understood without needing to embellish the orginal post.

Chewie
03-27-2007, 01:31 AM
I pay for my access to a news server too, buddy. I was referring to newsgroups, not news servers. :rolleyes:

Personally I think you understood without needing to embellish the orginal post.Perhaps you're right and no-one should highlight a misunderstanding that another member has; that way we can all have fun trying to figure out what they're on about.

Personally I think you originally misunderstood asfdlq3i45poi's post.

zot
03-27-2007, 10:25 AM
Could I also suggest paying for a server is worth while. If like me you hate those monthly contracts I use a pay server for fills. Block accounts are available from. Retention 80 days at least.

http://usenet-news.net/index1.php?url=home

That means the cheapest option is 300 gigs for $90 that works out at 30 cents per Gig. If you also use the free servers then I mean it is peanuts. Those 300 gigs do not run out at the end of the month whether it takes you one month or 10 years to use they only run out after the 300 gig has been used up. Well it works for me on average I use about 30-50 gig on usenet and so far have only used 12 gig of my premium service in two months so "wheyyy hey man" Peanuts.

PS I am not affiliated with http://usenet-news.net/index1.php?url=home

I agree that the pay-as-you-go download plans are the best type of Newsgroup account for both light users and people who don't download a regular amount each month, as well as being ideal for use as a secondary fill server.

At Usenet-News current prices, I see little reason to buy any larger than a 100GB block, since the 100GB, 200GB, and 300GB blocks sell at a rate of nearly the same price per gig. (though the smaller block sizes cost substantially more per gig) Also, Usenet-News has for the last 2 years been running a special twice a year (December and July) on the 100GB block for $28.

I think with any long-term service, it's best not to buy more than about a year's worth up front. What if the price drops next year and you still have lots of unused gigs? Then you'd still be stuck with the higher cost-per-gig service you paid for previously.

Also, I would not count on any small company - especially an internet company - still being around 10 years from now.

Windy72
03-27-2007, 08:12 PM
Personally I think you understood without needing to embellish the orginal post.Perhaps you're right and no-one should highlight a misunderstanding that another member has; that way we can all have fun trying to figure out what they're on about.

Personally I think you originally misunderstood asfdlq3i45poi's post.

I felt the post by asdfdlq was condescending. You maybe right however it is often difficult to understand what people mean if they are trying to be smart alecs. Apologies if I was in the wrong. No hard feelings.

grishnakh
03-28-2007, 02:30 PM
hmm, easynews was a good free service. Well, guess i have to buy eg UNS then

webe123
03-29-2007, 06:49 AM

Not everyones from the US and A pal and enjoy ISP free access. Some of us have to pay for our access.:frusty:

Well if you are talking ISP access...you are not missing much. Most in the US pay for their newsgroup access the same as everyone else.

Because most ISP servers suck at retention and a lot are monitored.

Only a FEW of the ISP newsgroup providers in the US, that are free, are worth using anyway.

So to answer the original post...there are NOT very many FREE newsgroup provider alternatives. At least none that I know of that are worth anything!